PDA

View Full Version : Section HIKING the AT

horicon
10-20-2007, 07:50
What would be a good section of the AT to hike the AT for the last week of Novenber?? November 25 to December 1.

Marta
10-20-2007, 08:13
Are you looking for a section close to home? Or would you like to come down this way? That's typically a wonderful time of year for hiking in TN/NC/GA.

horicon
10-20-2007, 08:51
Am I looking for a section close to home?? No, I am not but I can aways do that. I am from Stone Ridge, NY and I have already did from Maine to the Deleawere River Gap. I have a 'small" section to do in NNJ/NY, about 10 miles.

Marta
10-20-2007, 09:14
What sort of mileage are you looking for? 10/15/20/25 per day? The Smokies are a glorious section, though you'll need to reserve shelter space ahead of time. There are many shuttlers in NC and TN and Damascus. You can hardly go wrong in the Mt. Rogers, Roan Mtn., or Max Patch areas.

Further north in Virginia would be less of a drive for you.

buckowens
10-20-2007, 09:15
From the Approach Trail (or not) to the NC border would be good depending upon your mileage. Also, the water situation of course...

faarside
10-20-2007, 10:13
Am I looking for a section close to home?? No, I am not but I can aways do that. I am from Stone Ridge, NY and I have already did from Maine to the Deleawere River Gap. I have a 'small" section to do in NNJ/NY, about 10 miles.

The NY/NJ section has some great views and terrific Autumn colors at the present time, and will for several more weeks. However, be careful of the footing... with the small but frequent up/down slopes, and the rains we have had recently, you will need watch out for wet ground leaves.

Enjoy, and Happy Trails!

dessertrat
10-20-2007, 12:53
Whereever you end up going, check carefully for fire restrictions ahead of time. I know SNP just announced no fires at all, not even backpacking stoves, until further notice (meaning, further rain). You wouldn't want to end up on nothing but cold food.

bigmac_in
10-20-2007, 15:12
I would highly recommend starting at Springer Mountain, whether you take the approach trail or not would be up to you. I'm not sure how long you want to stay out, but the AT in GA is a great place and breaks up into nice little sections. You can take your pick on the length of the hike. If it were me, I'd skip the approach trail and start from the USFS 42 parking lot. Just my 2 cents.....

shelterbuilder
10-20-2007, 19:46
What would be a good section of the AT to hike the AT for the last week of Novenber?? November 25 to December 1.

I would strongly advise AGAINST hiking anywhere in Pa. that week - it's the first week of Pa.'s 2-week antlered deer season - too many warrior-wannabes in the woods with too much firepower!:eek: And too much of the AT runs across State Game Lands....

Press
10-20-2007, 20:10
Central Virginia south of Rockfish Gap is a lovely, often remote stretch of trail, yet still pretty accessible. But I believe deer season starts here around then too.

skskinner
10-28-2007, 15:43
That is good advice all around and just what I am looking for. I am a hammock camper and intend on going maybe 15 miles per day. Please give me all the advice you can, I have hiked some of the trails in the Smokeys but hope to get out of all the rules and regs a little. I am from Indiana and retired and have two or three weeks to have fun before the full rage of winter comes. Where do you think I should start? Steve

skskinner
10-28-2007, 15:45
By the way my hike can start within the week.... the first week of November. Tennesee and South / Norht Carolina seem interesting.

Just a Hiker
10-28-2007, 15:55
Hey, skskinner, if you are driving to the trail, you could drive to just north of Davenport Gap, park at Standing Bear Farm, and then head north. You could easily get to Erwin within your time constraints, and get a ride back to Standing Bear Farm. You can call Curt Owens at (423) 487-0014 for details. Just an idea!

Just Jim

Cookerhiker
10-28-2007, 22:24
That is good advice all around and just what I am looking for. I am a hammock camper and intend on going maybe 15 miles per day. Please give me all the advice you can, I have hiked some of the trails in the Smokeys but hope to get out of all the rules and regs a little. I am from Indiana and retired and have two or three weeks to have fun before the full rage of winter comes. Where do you think I should start? Steve

By the way my hike can start within the week.... the first week of November. Tennesee and South / Norht Carolina seem interesting.

I will be in Shenandoah National Park for 2 days doing trail maintenance Nov. 8-10. If you want to hike around there in that timeframe, I could shuttle you.

For BT02: another reason to avoid PA besides the hunting season is the freshly fallen leaves covering the rocks will make for a difficult hike. I've hiked 2 consecutive Novembers in the mid-Atlantic low elevations and found that the leaves really slowed me down. For your hike, I recommend hiking further south. Some of the other ideas in this post are good ones.

skskinner
10-28-2007, 22:32
I agree with your hiking advice and you quote. Thank you for replying. Steve

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:17
Hey, skskinner, if you are driving to the trail, you could drive to just north of Davenport Gap, park at Standing Bear Farm, and then head north. You could easily get to Erwin within your time constraints, and get a ride back to Standing Bear Farm. You can call Curt Owens at (423) 487-0014 for details. Just an idea!

Just Jim

Good suggestion, and a nice section. I'd go with this one :)

skskinner
10-28-2007, 23:19
Thank you. Sounds great. I will. Steve

paradoxb3
10-29-2007, 00:24
I'm also looking at taking some time off and hitting the AT in the last week of november (sometime between the nov25 and dec2) I live in north GA and will probably start at Springer, skipping the approach, and shoot for close to the GA/NC border (most likely will get picked up by my ride home near Hiawassee). If anyones making similar plans, PM me.

skskinner
11-13-2007, 22:28
Contact me if you are making plans for one or more to join you.
Mule :-?