PDA

View Full Version : I have a new hiking kilt!

Doctari
10-20-2007, 10:40
I HAVE A NEW HIKING KILT!!!!

Stillwater kilts Thrifty kilts
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwater-Kilts/SWK%20Thrifty-Kilts%e2%84%a2/

I got the large Gordon tartan. It's great! I need to hem it a bit, but the size range around my waist is accurate.

Most importantly, it only cost me $38.00, counting shipping & insurance!!!!!! I'm ordering another next payday!

I'm used to the kilt wrapping to the right first THEN to the left, & this one wraps the other way, but I'm OK with that. And, my homemade kilt may be made wrong :rolleyes:

Doctari.

EWS
10-20-2007, 10:46
You going to make a sporran out of sil-nylon to get the hiker look? ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-20-2007, 11:10
This thread is useless without pics of Dortari in his new kilt.:D

What does the acyclic thrifty kilt weigh?

JAK
10-20-2007, 11:56
What's that I hear?
Someone revving up their photoshop?

mudhead
10-20-2007, 15:50
How do those work with blackflies? Tights?

Manach
10-20-2007, 16:29
That looks pretty snazzy, Doc. But I agree, we need to see you in the kilt to get the idea. Preferably complete with backpack.

I'm curious as to how durable the material is, and how much the kilt weighs. Perhaps you could give us some more detailed specs, and an update after you've taken it down the trail a ways.

Smile
10-20-2007, 17:36
Yes, photos please :-)

Sounds like a very cool kilt

Doctari
10-20-2007, 18:44
I'll try to do photos soon. Be warned that I have trouble getting them to post. I'll weigh it just as soon as I hem it, I'm taking about 3" x 3' off, which should be at least noticable weight. As to the material, I've only had it for a few hrs, but it withstood my cat Velcro trying to climb in my lap while I was sitting on the couch. Velcro* is our "mutant kitty": 35+ Lbs, when he stands on his hind legs he can see OVER the top of the bathroom vanity, his claws cannot be fully retracted they are so large. So if my kilt can stand him, I'm thinking it can stand the rigors of the trail.

As to Blackflies & stuff: I find no noticable difference than my hiking shorts.
FWIW: I'll never wear shorts while hiking again!!!!! For really cold weather, I will put Poly longjohns on under the kilt, but it really has to be COLD for me to do that! I don't stop sweating till it gets below 50. My cold weather clothing at work: I put on a ball cap for below 35 to about 20, then Ill put on a light jacket, sometimes.

No, I don't wear underwear when I have my kilt on. :eek:

Manach
10-20-2007, 19:27

Like any right and proper kiltie. :D

I look forward to your follow ups.

Hurley
10-26-2007, 13:47
Niiiice. And, all you got to do is hike that thing up a bit when hitching into town.

Sly
10-26-2007, 13:50

Must make it easy to take a wizz!

IdahoDavid
10-26-2007, 15:38
Aye, Laddie. 'Tis a truly thrifty kilt. Thank ye for t' word to the wise. How does it feel agin yer skin?

Doctari
10-26-2007, 16:17
Must make it easy to take a wizz!

That it DOES!! :D

How does it feel agin yer skin?

Very like my wool kilts, but less scratchy. Bear in mind that I don't really find wool scratchy, the "less scratchy" is my wife's words. It does hang the same as the wool, I think it should dry faster, & if I ever get another day off work I'll test that.

Doctari.

Pirate
10-26-2007, 20:41
I HAVE A NEW HIKING KILT!!!!

Stillwater kilts Thrifty kilts
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwater-Kilts/SWK%20Thrifty-Kilts%e2%84%a2/

I got the large Gordon tartan. It's great! I need to hem it a bit, but the size range around my waist is accurate.

Most importantly, it only cost me $38.00, counting shipping & insurance!!!!!! I'm ordering another next payday!

I'm used to the kilt wrapping to the right first THEN to the left, & this one wraps the other way, but I'm OK with that. And, my homemade kilt may be made wrong :rolleyes
Doctari.

Another guy wearing a dress. Come on, grow up.

Manach
10-26-2007, 21:39
It does hang the same as the wool

That's good to know, it's a factor I find important in choosing a kilt for any purpose.

And in regards to the dress comment...

...a great many women don't seem to mind. :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-26-2007, 22:17
My my, God certainly blessed (perhaps over-blessed) the young lady in that picture.

T-Dubs
10-26-2007, 22:21
What's Doctari doing with the Medium chick?

The reference to medium, obviously, is the TV show. Not much else medium in that picture.

Tom

beeman
10-26-2007, 22:40
My my, God certainly blessed (perhaps over-blessed) the young lady in that picture.
Peerhaps God did overbless that poor girl, or maybe her surgeon did.:rolleyes:

Manach
10-27-2007, 04:42
Yeah, she's a little over the top. ;)

But come on, the man called it a dress. Extreme measures were called for. :D

Blissful
10-27-2007, 09:36
My hubby LOVES his sport kilt.

No Problem with black flies - he didn't hike when they were out. Actually, no problem with mosquitoes and he was in MA on the AT in the height of summer. :)

Mr. Clean
10-27-2007, 11:51
Never had a problem with black flies, skeeters, or hornets either. I think they're just scared.:banana :D

Smile
10-27-2007, 23:55
One of my favorites :)

laserlips
10-28-2007, 01:43
If you came to Missouri and hiked the OT, odds are very good you could kill your own 'possum and make one of those little pouch things to wear out of the hide.(just probably don't wear it into town for safety's sake)The kilt, I mean.The 'possum hide would be unnoticed.

Smile
10-28-2007, 01:44
Frolicking Dinosaurs, I suppose this is out of your Photoshop range to give us a visual? ;)