PDA

View Full Version : Questions on my sleeping bag

flagator
10-20-2007, 11:53
Hey all. I got a Western Mounatineering bag last year, and I've used it several times and find it real comfortable. Unfortunately I havent put it to the test yet, as Ive only camped in Fl since ive had it and always end up sleeping on top of it. Any way I know it is an Apache, but I dont know if its the smf or super DL, both have the same temp rating. But mine is purple and on western mountaineering site, the purple is the super DL, but im not sure if they make multiple colors of not of each model.
Also I am looking into getting my gf a quality bag, and I want to be able to zip together. When I lay in my bag face up the zipper is on the left side, and I would def guess this means left-zip, but I wanted to make sure it wasnt looking down at it which would make it the right-zip. Now if it is indeed a left-zip, than I would have to find a right-zip for her, to be sure they zip though would she have to have a WM bag, or are all zips compatible? Thanks

Uncle Silly
10-20-2007, 16:20
I think it's considered left-zip if, when you're inside the bag, the zipper's on your left.

And as to compatibility, zipping two different models together will only work accidentally. That is, if you're ordering off the internet, get a right-zip of the same model, so you're guaranteed it'll work. If you're purchasing from an outfitter, take your bag in and try it with other bags -- you may find another model (even from another manufacturer) that works acceptably.

shelterbuilder
10-20-2007, 19:08
I think it's considered left-zip if, when you're inside the bag, the zipper's on your left.

And as to compatibility, zipping two different models together will only work accidentally. That is, if you're ordering off the internet, get a right-zip of the same model, so you're guaranteed it'll work. If you're purchasing from an outfitter, take your bag in and try it with other bags -- you may find another model (even from another manufacturer) that works acceptably.

Uncle Silly's correct - when you're laying in the bag on your back, if the zipper's on the left, it's a left-zip bag.

There are several different sizes of zippers - I forget how they determine it, but I think it has to do with the size and number of teeth per inch (coil zippers are altogether different). So, whether you order from the internet or from an outfitter, Uncle Silly's advice is good.

flagator
11-08-2007, 13:31
I ended up not worrying about zipping them together, I just think it would lost heat when the neck is more opened with two people. I got what I think to be a great deal, $190 for a brand new Marmot Helium the light blue female version. Its rated to 15 and it has gotten some great reviews. Any how my gf is a Florida native, so I want to be sure she is warm. So I know I will be getting her a silk liner, but also I know a sleeping pad is extremely important part of conserving heat when it gets cold. I know some bags have a sleeve for them to slide in but the helium doesnt I believe. I just use my thermarest z-lite under my sleeping bag. She is a little bit more particular on comfort than I. So I wanted to see some opinions on what she could get. She wants something more comfortabl than the zlite, as she has tried mine before. I was thinking of maybe one of those inflatable ones, I think Big agnes and Thermarest both make them, are they any better? I want her to be comfortable because she is picky with that, but also something that will really protect her from the cold ground. I appreciate any suggestions!

mountain squid
11-08-2007, 13:50
I've got a 1" self-inflating pad from Insul Mat (http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2007/index.cfm). It actually came with my Western Mountaineering Pod 30. It has worked well for me.

See you on the trail,
mt squid