PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol stove vs. canister

musicwoman
10-20-2007, 16:28
I still cannot decide which way to go on this. As a section hiker in planning, I don't intend to hike more than a week at a time, so I am wondering which would be more efficient. I would love to make my own alcohol stove, but I am thinking its more efficient for me to take a canister, like the Rocket Pocket or Coleman F1 featherweight.

Also, any recommendations on cookware material? Aluminum vs titanium? I intend to dehydrate and freezer bag it, so it would be used mostly for boiling water. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to each?

Any advice?

Peaks
10-20-2007, 16:54
Many different choices, and no one choice is right for everyone.

Stoves: Alcohol stoves are cheap and easy to make. So, if you don't have a stove already, why not make a couple and try them out. If they don't put out enough heat for your type of cooking, then buy something else.

Pot: Aluminum is cheap. Titanium will lighten both your pack and your wallet. Both boil water just fine.

rpettit
10-20-2007, 17:14
how much water do plan to boil each day?

musicwoman
10-20-2007, 17:15
at least 2 liters I would think.....

jlb2012
10-20-2007, 17:36
2 liters sounds rather high to me - my rule of thumb is 1.75 cups per meal for ziplock cooking / rehydrating

musicwoman
10-20-2007, 17:38
yeah, but I need my coffee, oatmeal in the morning......and hot cocoa w/ my meal in the evening...then you need water for lunch, dinner......

HIPOCKETS
10-20-2007, 17:44
I have section hiked for the past 6 years and used pop can alcohol stove each time. I am usually out 10 days and boil water for one warm freezer bag meal a day, no coffee or tea, alot of snacks and nutrition bars. 16 oz of alcohol is just right for me. I have been told alcohol stoves are hard to light if temp is low. I have not had a problem with temp in the low 50s. I see not reason to change.

Make your own stove, the cost is your time, and try it out. I had a professor in a recreation management course tell us 50% of the enjoyment of a vacation was in the planning and preparation so enjoy

shelterbuilder
10-20-2007, 18:45
...I have been told alcohol stoves are hard to light if temp is low. I have not had a problem with temp in the low 50s. I see not reason to change....

I am also considering an alcohol stove purchase in the near future - in colder temps, can the bottle of alcohol be kept in a shirt pocket to warm it a bit, or will this not really help?

C'mon, some of you stove mechanics - let's hear from you folks.

Survivor Dave
10-20-2007, 19:02
I am also considering an alcohol stove purchase in the near future - in colder temps, can the bottle of alcohol be kept in a shirt pocket to warm it a bit, or will this not really help?

C'mon, some of you stove mechanics - let's hear from you folks.

Shoot Shelterbuilder, just go to the expert...Skidsteer. The Swammy of Stoves.

SD

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-20-2007, 19:24
Until Zelph and Skids show up.... :D

I use an alcohol stove for temps above freezing. Keeping both the stove and fuel bottle in a coat pocket does help as does insulating the stove from the cold ground in winter. I have a Whisperlite International for winter cooking.

As a couple who would kill each other without our coffee, we boil more than 2 liters a day and the alcohol stove works just fine.

As to your pot - both titanium and aluminum boil water. I do some real cooking out there and prefer aluminum because of that. Titanium does not distribute heat well. Frankly, the weight savings between titanium and aluminum are negligible. Compare this $90 MRS 2 liter Ti (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=49585)to this $10 Open County 2 quart aluminum pot (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13888). I'd buy the aluminum and spend extra $$$ lightening up my shelter or sleep system.

shelterbuilder
10-20-2007, 19:38
Until Zelph and Skids show up.... :D
I use an alcohol stove for temps above freezing. Keeping both the stove and fuel bottle in a coat pocket does help as does insulating the stove from the cold ground in winter. I have a Whisperlite International for winter cooking.
As a couple who would kill each other without our coffee, we boil more than 2 liters a day and the alcohol stove works just fine.
As to your pot - both titanium and aluminum boil water. I do some real cooking out there and prefer aluminum because of that. Titanium does not distribute heat well. Frankly, the weight savings between titanium and aluminum are negligible. Compare this $90 MRS 2 liter Ti (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=49585)to this $10 Open County 2 quart aluminum pot (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13888). I'd buy the aluminum and spend extra $$$ lightening up my shelter or sleep system.

What's a good, stable ground insulator?

I have an assortment of both aluminum and stainless cookware - titanium seems a bit overpriced for me. Besides, right now I need some new outdoor clothing - jackets and sweaters with zips, v-neck base layer shirts, etc. Extra cash goes there for now, instead of more cookware.

rpettit
10-21-2007, 09:15
at least 2 liters I would think.....

If you are going to boil this much water everyday, go with a canister stove. Read this review. http://hikinghq.net/stoves/stove_compare.html

rafe
10-21-2007, 10:50
Actually, if you're going to do a whole lot of cooking, or cooking for two, or a group, use a Whisperlite. IMO, alcohol makes the most sense for solo hiking and short resupply intervals.

EWS
10-21-2007, 10:52
If you are going to boil this much water everyday, go with a canister stove. Read this review. http://hikinghq.net/stoves/stove_compare.html

Sorry, but I couldn't find the info that supported this statement on the link. Can you quote it here?

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 11:18
Compare this $90 MRS 2 liter Ti (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=49585)to this $10 Open County 2 quart aluminum pot (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13888).

That is funny, $80 for the privilege of having your food stick in a pot of approximately the same weight.

But you can get a .85 liter MSR Titan kettle for $40 and it weighs half as much.

If you're just going to boil water, why not go with the Heineken pot/alcohol stove combo? You can't beat the weight.

EWS
10-21-2007, 11:24
Because a beer can with it's top cut off will crush much more easily than a "pot".

BTW I have a 2L Titan, but I'd buy the Open Country if I were to need another 2L.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 11:27
Because a beer can with it's top cut off will crush much more easily than a "pot".

Does that hurt it? My supercat (actually superviennasausge) got all squished up several times. I've never used a Heineken pot but I've been keeping my eyes peeled for an empty to make one with.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 11:28
BTW I have a 2L Titan, but I'd buy the Open Country if I were to need another 2L.

Is there any advantage at all to the 2L Titan?

Wonder
10-21-2007, 11:31
I'm a dehydrator freak!! Almost everything I eat. I switched out from a Jet-boil to a can stove, and will never go back. If you pre-hydrate your food. (ie have a small container for hydrating your meats, etc. throughout the day) you use very little fuel,a nd have a meal that others will snif woefully as they eat their ramen......I say, give it a shot and see what you think. And insulated can stove works the best in my opinion.

EWS
10-21-2007, 11:31
Depends on if it gets squished a bit in your pack, or stepped on and flattened when you get up to relieve yourself in the middle of the night.

For short trips I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, as you could just have a stash of them at home for $2.50 each with beer, but I would think it would be a pain to try to replace one on the move.

EWS
10-21-2007, 11:32
Is there any advantage at all to the 2L Titan?

Bling, Bling or however it goes.

I'd go with the $10 pot that weighs the same.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 11:44
Depends on if it gets squished a bit in your pack, or stepped on and flattened when you get up to relieve yourself in the middle of the night.

For short trips I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, as you could just have a stash of them at home for $2.50 each with beer, but I would think it would be a pain to try to replace one on the move.

I have a .85 Titan Kettle that is perfect for cooking as well as boiling water and making tea. But for a two- or three-day hike where I can afford to use only freeze-dried meals to save weight, the Heineken would be perfect. You can still drink tea out of it.

EWS
10-21-2007, 11:46
But for a two- or three-day hike where I can afford to use only freeze-dried meals to save weight, the Heineken would be perfect.

I do agree.

musicwoman
10-21-2007, 14:11
I think I am going to do the following:

Buy the 2 liter from Campmor, make an alcohol stove, and get a canister as well. Then.....experiment like mad!! :)