PDA

View Full Version : Md trip in early December?

LastHonestFool
10-20-2007, 22:46
Was starting to plan a short 3 day trip in early December in Maryland, and wouldn't mind a companion or two. :)

Going to be testing out some new gear and it'll be about 9 months since I've hit the trail so I'd like to go a bit on the slow side.

I should mention I'm a 20 yr. old guy, that doesn't shut up ever. :)

LastHonestFool
10-22-2007, 13:56
bump

anyone?

kohburn
10-22-2007, 15:59
i'm in maryland and always up for meeting new people. did you have a particular location in mind? weekend trip?

LastHonestFool
10-22-2007, 18:51
I can go whenever, going to take a few vacation days

I was thinking PenMar State Park (PA/MD border) to Harper's Ferry would be a nice 3 or 4 day trip

open to suggestions though, what d'ya think? :)

wrongway_08
10-22-2007, 20:04
I have off dec 6,7,8,9. Let me know.

LastHonestFool
10-22-2007, 20:12
that sounds like a good time to me!

as I said before, I just need to take the time off work

would PenMAr to Harper's Ferry be cool with you?

LastHonestFool
10-22-2007, 22:46
*very* rough itenirary:

Day One- PenMar to Pogo Campsite: 14.2

Day Two- Pogo to Crampton Gap: 15.8

Day Three- Crampton Gap to Ed Garvey Shelter= 4.1

Ed Garvey Shelter to Harpers Ferry= 6.3

Total= 40.4

How's that look for you guys?

LastHonestFool
10-22-2007, 22:47
note, Day three mileage is split, total day 3 mileage would be 10.4

kohburn
10-23-2007, 08:32
last time i hiked harpers ferry it was the last weekend in october and it started to snow on our last day. I did like the area though. Those numbers sure make me feel out of shape though ;)

kohburn
10-23-2007, 08:38
don't change your plan on account of me though, i'm really busy this fall/winter so my hopes of getting away and hiking may be wishful thinking.

LastHonestFool
10-23-2007, 11:44
well we can shorten it up a bit, I just want to get out and try my new geart :)

what kind of mileage were you hoping for?

easiest solution would be to make it a 4 day trip

let me know :)

wrongway_08
10-23-2007, 17:10
I am good for it. Let me know how we are going to do this.
Are we going to do a out and back or park cars at either end?
If you want to work out details faster my cell is 443-536-8106 or e-mail me [email protected]

distance doesnt matter to me, good for 25 miles a day, full day of hiking.

I am right in the middle of the route so I could meet you at either end of the trail if we are doing a end to end.
Also if one of you are comming from my side of town, we could car pool so we are not taking up the whole parking lot.
- Rick

LastHonestFool
10-23-2007, 18:12
awesome!

that itenirary is good for you then?

yeah, an end to end witha car on either side would be the easiest way I'd imagine

I'll give you a call tonight or tommorow

-Steve

LastHonestFool
10-24-2007, 18:22
hey dude, I gave ya a ring, no answer

call my cell or shoot me a message on here 443-253-1022, I'm Steve :)

wrongway_08
10-24-2007, 19:05
Steve,

Sorry, I cant answer while at work (5:30am to 2pm) I never answer while driving.

Man its till over a month a way.

Can you make a hike next week? Sunday till Wed? Got a hike planned for a place out in South Western PA.

- Rick

LastHonestFool
10-24-2007, 22:11
not on that short of notice, no

if you've got anyother trips planned though I'm always up for it, just let me know 2 weeks in advance and I can usually make it

Jeff
10-25-2007, 07:38
When hiking MD there is a great hostel that is well worth 0.3 mile off trail. Check them out at http://www.freestatehiker.com/

nitewalker
10-25-2007, 07:48
Steve,

Sorry, I cant answer while at work (5:30am to 2pm) I never answer while driving.

Man its till over a month a way.

Can you make a hike next week? Sunday till Wed? Got a hike planned for a place out in South Western PA.

- Rick
i would try and take you up on this offer but i belive i will be at the red sox world series parade come next week.:banana :banana i missed the parade in 04 because of a really bad sprain that i suffered after jumping for joy when my sox won it all. now that sprain was a bummer... :(

LastHonestFool
10-25-2007, 13:26
go BoSox!!! :D

LastHonestFool
10-27-2007, 14:17
*bump* :)

anyone else?

LastHonestFool
10-28-2007, 22:29
anyone else?

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:08
You guys have a great trip :)
That's a nice section.

LastHonestFool
10-29-2007, 22:40
thanks, I'm sure we will! :)

I've dond the section before, but never in the winter, should be fun :)

Programbo
10-29-2007, 22:46
Day Three- Crampton Gap to Ed Garvey Shelter= 4.1.........How's that look for you guys?

...........:eek:

wrongway_08
10-31-2007, 09:49
Still looking forward to this. I am thinking of ditching the dehydrated food on this trip and bringing real food.

sparky2000
10-31-2007, 13:32
I've read the details. This does sound very good! I'm at 8143214958. Besides I owe Rick a buck. I'm as slow as your slowest and proud of it! Can easily make the plan as you've got it so far. Sparky.

wrongway_08
10-31-2007, 14:20
Sparky!! You made it home, was thinking you were going to sleep at a hotel before driving home. I got in at 2am last night. Thanks for the matches to light my stove, cold hard dehydrated chicken whould have been NASTY! I think we are even on the dollar :)!!

LastHonestFool
10-31-2007, 18:38
...........:eek:

day three also includes from Ed Garvey to Harper's Ferry.....just put that in there as its the last shelter before HF :)

Rick, I've been swamped with work....worked until 3:30am last night pulling a 14.5 hour shift...and today I work 10hours

I should have some free time tommorow to give you a buzz, and we'll work out the details

Sparky, Rick or I will give you a call soon also

wrongway_08
10-31-2007, 18:56
No problem - we still have a month to figure out where we are going to meet at.......:D .......your plan on milage sounds good.
I have all my gear now, I am happy with how its all working together. This trip will make sure that I am happy with all my winter clothes choices, after that all I need to do is figure out how I can knock off a few ozs - figure on about 3/4 pound by custom cuts to the length of my rain gear and such. :cool:
- Rick

AT_Disciple
10-31-2007, 21:00
keep me in the loop on this, fellas..i might be able to work it in. thanks
[email protected]

kohburn
11-01-2007, 15:04
looks like i won't have time for another trip untill after the new year. but i'll keep an eye out for any nearby trips in 08.

LastHonestFool
11-04-2007, 14:36
any news on the HF parking idea, Rick?

@sparky: we're still sorting out where we're gonn apark on the HF side....we're gonna park at PenMar, when we know anymore, you'll know :)

wrongway_08
11-04-2007, 20:00
I am closer to the HF side of the trail.
Sparky will pass the top of the trail.
LastHonestFool, Where are you located at? Figure if your passing one of the trail heads you night be able to pick that person up so we dont spent all day driving back and forth?

LastHonestFool
11-04-2007, 20:13
I'm in Baltimore

I'll pick up whoever, and drop off at whatever end is convenient for everyone

let me know :)

wrongway_08
11-05-2007, 16:19
I have Bodenhorn asking about the parking, we work different days so it might take a little bit to get a answer but no problem.......lots of time.

Cookerhiker
11-05-2007, 18:08
You guys are hiking south to Harpers Ferry, right? You can leave your car at the Park's designated lot for visitors. It's not real close to the heart of town but they have a shuttle which runs pretty much constantly during their 8-5 hours. Call or e-mail the Park (http://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm).

LastHonestFool
11-09-2007, 21:16
*bump*

Rick, any word? if all else fails, CookerHiker had a good idea

Sparky, you still good?

doggiebag
11-09-2007, 22:15
Sounds interesting ... I'm getting tempted to jump in on this one. First week of December right? Let me think about this ...

LastHonestFool
11-10-2007, 00:31
sure is!

decide soon so we can get all the logistics of picking people up where, when, and how, etc. etc.

hop eyou decide to come! :)

wrongway_08
11-10-2007, 21:47
Doggiebag, Join us!! - Let us know what it looks like and where you would be planning to meet us. Thanks!

We are allowed to leave our cars at the out fitters at Harpers Ferry. Will be a small walk to get there, but nothing bad.

Now for the top half...........

Last Honest Fool....as of now I am thinking we should meet at Harpers Ferry, drop one of our vehicles off and then hook up with Sparky at the top end.

doggiebag
11-10-2007, 22:26
I'm still thinking. 40 miles in 3 or 4 days in Maryland is easy. But I'd rather save the 10+ mile days for the last 2 days. My experience is the first day or two will be the hardest since the food bags will be heavy. Day 3 and 4 should be the big mile days ... since the packs would be lighter. Thoughts? My pack will be heavy enough with winter gear.

LastHonestFool
11-10-2007, 23:17
Doggiebag, Join us!! - Let us know what it looks like and where you would be planning to meet us. Thanks!

We are allowed to leave our cars at the out fitters at Harpers Ferry. Will be a small walk to get there, but nothing bad.

Now for the top half...........

Last Honest Fool....as of now I am thinking we should meet at Harpers Ferry, drop one of our vehicles off and then hook up with Sparky at the top end.

that sounds great, good deal

I'll be giving a call within the next couple days to assure everything is still sqaured away

wrongway_08
11-11-2007, 17:10
I'm still thinking. 40 miles in 3 or 4 days in Maryland is easy. But I'd rather save the 10+ mile days for the last 2 days. My experience is the first day or two will be the hardest since the food bags will be heavy. Day 3 and 4 should be the big mile days ... since the packs would be lighter. Thoughts? My pack will be heavy enough with winter gear.

It really wont make a difference, only a few pounds. Your body wont even begin to break in before the hike is over, you might be a little sore on the last day but even then it wont be that bad.
Also the last day is when we need to finish a little early to shuttle every one back to the cars and such.

Where are you comming from? Would you be closer to Harpers Ferry or the other end?

doggiebag
11-11-2007, 17:20
It really wont make a difference, only a few pounds. Your body wont even begin to break in before the hike is over, you might be a little sore on the last day but even then it wont be that bad.
Also the last day is when we need to finish a little early to shuttle every one back to the cars and such.

Where are you comming from? Would you be closer to Harpers Ferry or the other end?

I'm closer to Harpers Ferry. I'm just south of Baltimore. So this is a southbound trip from PenMar park to Harpers on what dates again?

wrongway_08
11-11-2007, 17:23
Okay, here is the game plan:

Day one: Thursday Dec. 6th:
- Meet at Harpers Ferry at 8:40am - 9am
- Drop off 1 vehicle and head to starting point, hope to start hiking by 10:30am
- - - - PenMar to Pogo Campsite: 14.2 --------

Day Two: Friday Dec. 7th:
-------- Pogo to Crampton Gap: 15.8-----------

Day Three: Saturday Dec. 8th:
------- Crampton Gap to Harpers Ferry: 10.5 miles-----

:D Make sure you guys bring some bright lights, we will most likely end up night hiking the first day. :D

Those who have said yes so far:
- LastHonestFool
-Wrongway
-Sparky
-Doggiebag * does not need to be shuttled, meeting at the first campsite.
-Sean from SC
-Sasquatch from CT (Tentative)

Does this sound correct?
I will call Tuesday and make plans for leaving our vehicles at Harpers Ferry.

wrongway_08
11-11-2007, 17:25
I'm closer to Harpers Ferry. I'm just south of Baltimore. So this is a southbound trip from PenMar park to Harpers on what dates again?

Just added dates above
Yes, South bound.
So you are sayn yes for sure?
You can meet us at the out fitters and leave your car there.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2007, 17:27
[quote=wrongway_08;446483].....We are allowed to leave our cars at the out fitters at Harpers Ferry. Will be a small walk to get there, but nothing bad. ...quote]

Have the outfitters moved? Last I knew, they were on High St. in the historic district. There's no place to leave a car by them. Do they have a lot somewhere else?

wrongway_08
11-11-2007, 17:31
The outfitter I am talking about is across the bridge in MD. We should be able to hike the back road from the C&O Canal to the out fitter.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2007, 17:40
The outfitter I am talking about is across the bridge in MD. We should be able to hike the back road from the C&O Canal to the out fitter.

Are you referring to the hostel (http://www.harpersferryhostel.org/)?

wrongway_08
11-11-2007, 18:00
No, I think its called River and trail outfitters, the are before you cross the bridge into W.V.. MD side on 15/340? south.

doggiebag
11-11-2007, 18:03

- Meet at Harpers Ferry at 8:40am - 9am
- Drop off 1 vehicle and head to starting point,

:D Make sure you guys bring some bright lights, we will most likely end up night hiking the first day. :D

- LastHonestFool
-Wrongway
-Sparky

Does this sound correct?
I will call Tuesday and make plans for leaving our vehicles at Harpers Ferry.

Sounds good to me. I'll arrange my own shuttles to PenMar and back home. I'll have my dog with me. So barring any hideous weather conditions. I'll meet you guys at the campsite sometime in the evening. I'm looking forward to this.

Regards,
Team Doggiebag
Max and Aldo

Cookerhiker
11-11-2007, 18:34
No, I think its called River and trail outfitters, the are before you cross the bridge into W.V.. MD side on 15/340? south.

Ah yes, that's great. They've been around for years.

Have a stupendous hike guys!

sparky2000
11-14-2007, 11:17
Looks great to me - 10:30 or sooner, Thrus. Dec. 6th at Pen-Mar. As u'ze drive up I'll be at the parking lot on the road. If there is any parking problems I'll have it sorted out before U'ze get there. Sparky

LastHonestFool
11-14-2007, 13:15
Looks great to me - 10:30 or sooner, Thrus. Dec. 6th at Pen-Mar. As u'ze drive up I'll be at the parking lot on the road. If there is any parking problems I'll have it sorted out before U'ze get there. Sparky

awesome! we'll see you at PenMar :)

wrongway_08
11-14-2007, 13:27
Sparky, drop me your cell phone #, just incase we cant find you :)

doggiebag
11-14-2007, 13:30
There's at least 2 other folks that are planning on attending the festivities. Though everyone will be hiking at their own pace we look forward to meeting everyone at the first campsite. So it's Team Doggiebag (Max and Aldo), Sasquatch from CT (Tentative) and Sean from SC (Definite). This is our version of the late season "Maryland Challenge" - We're all getting psyched!

wrongway_08
11-14-2007, 13:49
Great, will be nice to have a crowd!

Updated the list also

LastHonestFool
11-14-2007, 13:50
awesome

glad a bunch of you fella's can make it

doggiebag, what kind of dog do you have?

doggiebag
11-14-2007, 14:04
It's called a Blue Heeler aka: Australian Cattle Dog. I got him there in The Falls Road Shelter in Bmore.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/8/9/9/aldowknife.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15527&original=1&c=member&imageuser=11899)

LastHonestFool
11-14-2007, 14:06
best picture ever

my buddy has a Blue Heeler, beautiful, intelligent dogs

I myself have 2 golden retrievers :)

look forward to meeting Aldo :)

wrongway_08
11-14-2007, 14:17
Great photo! Post it under the "dog photo" thread! Just type dog photo in the search block. I posted mine yesterday.

Cookerhiker
11-14-2007, 14:33
If you guys aren't camping atop Weverton Cliffs (I believe you're camping at Garvey Shelter a few miles north), don't miss the short side trail. As you approach the end of the ridge, the AT takes a 90 degree turn right while a blue-blazed trail leads straight only a few hundred feet to the cliffs where you'll get views like this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9018&catid=searchresults&searchid=11173).

Happy hiking!

LastHonestFool
11-14-2007, 16:14
yeah, I've been to Weverton a few times before, BEAUTIFUL views....it might be worth it to camp there, but thats something we can figure out on the way....

I've never seen it during Winter though....one of the reasons for this hike :)

thanks for the tip

doggiebag
11-14-2007, 16:19
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=calCnt vAlign=top align=middle><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=dtA vAlign=center align=middle>

12/6

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- end -->
<!-- averages data - generic --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=climoTextA vAlign=top align=middle>AVERAGES</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- averages data - temp --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Hi</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>47°F</TD></TR><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Lo</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>27°F</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- records data - generic --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=climoTextA vAlign=top align=middle>RECORDS</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- records data - temp --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Hi</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>74°F</TD></TR><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Lo</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>12°F</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><!-- the first row needs to be populated differently, it has the week day names --><!-- end if 1st row --><!-- /TR>-- row 2 -- <TR --><TD class=calCnt vAlign=top align=middle><!-- insert calendar date with moon phase --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=dtA vAlign=center align=middle>

12/7

<!-- averages data - generic --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=climoTextA vAlign=top align=middle>AVERAGES</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- averages data - temp --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Hi</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>47°F</TD></TR><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Lo</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>27°F</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- records data - generic --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=climoTextA vAlign=top align=middle>RECORDS</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- records data - temp --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Hi</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>76°F</TD></TR><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Lo</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>12°F</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><!-- the first row needs to be populated differently, it has the week day names --><!-- end if 1st row --><!-- /TR>-- row 2 -- <TR --><TD class=calCnt vAlign=top align=middle><!-- insert calendar date with moon phase --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=dtA vAlign=center align=middle>

12/8

<!-- averages data - generic --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=climoTextA vAlign=top align=middle>AVERAGES</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- averages data - temp --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Hi</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>46°F</TD></TR><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Lo</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>26°F</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- records data - generic --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=climoTextA vAlign=top align=middle>RECORDS</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- records data - temp --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Hi</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>70°F</TD></TR><TR><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=right>Lo</TD><TD class=aTextA vAlign=top align=left>11°F</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

wrongway_08
11-23-2007, 21:18
Everyone still good to go?
Cant wait, going to be great to get out!
talk to you soon!
- Rick

LastHonestFool
11-23-2007, 21:19
roger dodger

getting antsy now

and my nimbus ozone backpack still hasn't arrived.....think I'll make a phone call Monday to try to track it down :-\

LastHonestFool
11-23-2007, 21:20
Erm, one other thing

as you mentioned, wrongway...we'll be doing some night hiking the first night, due to all the shuttling/late start

what would be good for using the parking spot at the outfitters? if we got to there around 8...that'd be best I would think? your thoughts?

doggiebag
11-23-2007, 21:36
Still good to go on this end. Getting psyched here as well. I've even got a 4 season tent - LOL ... but it's been warm here in MD.

LastHonestFool
11-23-2007, 21:44
too warm!

it'll be 19 degrees here tommorow :D gotta love the cold weather!

wrongway_08
11-23-2007, 22:03
We can bump it to 8am meet, thats good with me..... gotta let Sparky know.

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 17:43
Still a go on Team Doggiebag's shop. I've got a definite on Sean from SC with his dog and a tentative from Sasquatch from NY. So if all shows up on this end its:
3 guys and 2 dogs. I'm psyched. I just hope this doesn't turn into some weekend warrior Deliverance nightmare :eek: :eek: :eek: ! LOL
Hows it look for the rest?

LastHonestFool
11-28-2007, 18:22
still smooth sailing :)

wrongway_08
11-28-2007, 18:57
Ready to go!

LastHonestFool
11-28-2007, 19:02
you get in touch with sparky?

Spirit Walker
11-28-2007, 19:23
Bring your orange gear - I think that's still hunting season.

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 20:05
Bring your orange gear - I think that's still hunting season.
That's true ... November 24 to December 8. I'll have my blaze orange on ... as much as I can find. Thanks for the reminder.

wrongway_08
11-28-2007, 20:31

- Meet at Harpers Ferry at 8am
- Drop off 1 vehicle and head to starting point, hope to start hiking by 9 - 9:30am

* Bring orange if you dont wat to get shot :)

- LastHonestFool
-Wrongway
-Sparky
-Doggiebag, plus a pooch* Meeting the rest of group at the first campsite.
-Sean from SC, plus a pooch* Meeting the rest of group at first campsite
-Sasquatch (Chris E) from NY* Meeting the rest of group at first campsite

LastHonestFool/WrongWay/Sparky - Transportation figured out for this group

Diggiebag/Sean/Sasquatch - Transportation figured out for this group

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 20:40

- Drop off 1 vehicle and head to starting point, hope to start hiking by 9 - 9:30am

- LastHonestFool
-Wrongway
-Sparky
-Doggiebag, plus pooch* no shuttle, meeting at the first campsite.
-Sean from SC, plus a pooch
-Sasquatch from CT (Tentative)

*Bring orange if you want for you dont get shot.

There will also be a Chris E. joining. Sasquatch is from NY not CT (my mistake).
So if all goes well ... that's at least 7 humans and 2 canines. This could be an interesting weekend. Oh yeah ... blaze orange makes for comfortable hiking. We'll be out on the last weekend for regular firearms season. The folks that didn't fill their deer tags are getting desperate at this point.

wrongway_08
11-28-2007, 20:43
Got'er fixed

sasquatch2014
11-28-2007, 20:46
I am a go for Launch. I got everything moved around that i need to and am set to head down. I will be coming from the North but williing to overshoot and give a lift from HF back up to PenMar as long as at the south end someone will run me back up to my outfit at PenMar. Doggiebag and I talked about this some so i think he has it worked out. I am ready for another good cold outing. Was out the week before Turkey day up at Bear Mountain and woke up the last day to 2" of fresh snow. I am game to start as early on the first day as you want too. Not the biggest fan of night hiking unless the trail is really well marked. Hey I still even have my mega expensive Wal-Mart Special "please don't shoot me vest"

Dont want to get shot while I sleep.

sasquatch2014
11-28-2007, 20:51
Sorry was typing my post and when I looked back I see that it says that there is Chris E. and Sasquatch coming. Unless there is another Chris E. its all one in the same. Just for the purpose of head count.:-?

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 20:52
I am a go for Launch. I got everything moved around that i need to and am set to head down. I will be coming from the North but williing to overshoot and give a lift from HF back up to PenMar as long as at the south end someone will run me back up to my outfit at PenMar. Doggiebag and I talked about this some so i think he has it worked out. I am ready for another good cold outing. Was out the week before Turkey day up at Bear Mountain and woke up the last day to 2" of fresh snow. I am game to start as early on the first day as you want too. Not the biggest fan of night hiking unless the trail is really well marked. Hey I still even have my mega expensive Wal-Mart Special "please don't shoot me vest"

Dont want to get shot while I sleep.

You still hammocking this time of year? Great news you could make it.

sasquatch2014
11-28-2007, 20:58
Yep I am still hanging. I am just like a deer carcass wrapped in ripstop nylon. I was plenty toasty the last time I was out it was maybe the mid 20's or so. I use the air pad under me stuff my under hammock pockets to create dead air space and then the 0 dergee bag. It may be down right tropical.

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 21:04
Tropical my ass! I would do the hammock thing ... but I need to make sure my dog isn't stiff when I wake up ... therefore the 4 season tent will make it's appearance ... but you've got more cold weather experience than I do. Tropical!

sasquatch2014
11-28-2007, 21:13
This is why I went with the Clarks and not the HH. With the extra pockets it is reported to be a 4 season hammock. Well I am trying to put that to the test. Who knows maybe you will want to go this route.;)

I forget did you ever use an underquilt with your HH?

wrongway_08
11-28-2007, 21:15
Who will be leaving a car at Harpers Ferry?

I know LastHonestFool and myself are going to meet there and leave one of our vehicles there.

At the end of the hike we (LasthonestFool, myself and Sparky) have worked out the ride issue for us.

If I remember right Doggiebag had the rides taken care of for the rest of you?
If not, no biggie, we can work it out. Just let us know so everything goes smoth.

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 21:21
Yeah ... I've got the whole 4 season rig with the HH. Don't get me wrong ... it's perfectly warm for me. It's just a concern for Aldo that I got the tent. But hammocking this late ... you got my respect.

LastHonestFool
11-28-2007, 21:34
regardless of who goes too HF with us....it shouldn't be a problem, since only one car will be parked there.....everyone else will be parked at PenMar

wrongway_08
11-28-2007, 21:37
I was just thinking if we have 6 or 7 people and 2 dogs - going to be cramped if we only have one transport vehicle :)

LastHonestFool
11-28-2007, 21:42
hahah, yeah I didn't think of that

hmmm

so DoggieBag, you said you had something worked out for transportation?

sasquatch2014
11-28-2007, 21:43
Now don't get me wrong Aldo has my respect for life after all the miles he has walked. We had Border Collies when we lived out in WY and CO. they are built like todays supermodels compared to Aldo and they all but lived outside. They would curl up in the snow and just go to sleep until you called them. You would cry uncle way before Aldo even flinches.:D

If Aldo misses the hammock swinging in the breeze he can always come and visit with me for a while and get up off the ground.

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 21:48
Chris E., Sean (SC) and myself are planning on shuttling up from Harpers Ferry (Rough plan) - So as far as I'm concerned you can chalk off 3 humans and 1 pooch from your logistical concerns. Eitherway Team DB is making it to the first campsite.

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 21:51
Now don't get me wrong Aldo has my respect for life after all the miles he has walked. We had Border Collies when we lived out in WY and CO. they are built like todays supermodels compared to Aldo and they all but lived outside. They would curl up in the snow and just go to sleep until you called them. You would cry uncle way before Aldo even flinches.:D

If Aldo misses the hammock swinging in the breeze he can always come and visit with me for a while and get up off the ground.

Aldo is not a cuddler. The last time I had him in a hammock with me ... it was hand to paw combat since I also had a candle lantern going (it was cold) the results were less than hilarious. The little focker can get mean. It's like taking a special needs kid who'se kinda dangerous camping.:eek:

LastHonestFool
11-28-2007, 21:53
well, that would solve all our logistical concerns then, it would seem:

Have it worked out:

- LastHonestFool
-Wrongway
-Sparky

Arranging their own transportation:

-Doggiebag, plus a pooch* no shuttle, meeting at the first campsite.
-Sean from SC, plus a pooch
-Sasquatch from NY (Tentative)
-Chris E.

As long as Sasquatch and Chris E. are the same person then no worries! :)

sasquatch2014
11-28-2007, 21:59
Well that image of you and aldo just had me thinking of the fat that on my last hike i slipped a few times and twice my pack came up and slammed me in the back of the head. My kids said I should start hiking wearing a helmet. Now if I did that tell me who would look special needs.

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 22:07
I just checked Sasquatch2014's trail journal. I'm pretty sure it's the same person. So ... I'm assuming that Chris E. and S2014 is the same person. I'm getting rusty.

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 22:08
Dammn we haven't even started this expedition and we already lost one!

wrongway_08
11-28-2007, 22:09

* Bring orange if you dont wat to get shot :)

- LastHonestFool
-Wrongway
-Sparky
-Doggiebag, plus a pooch* Meeting the rest of group at the first campsite.
-Sean from SC, plus a pooch* Meeting the rest of group at first campsite
-Sasquatch (Chris E) from NY* Meeting the rest of group at first campsite

LastHonestFool/WrongWay/Sparky - Transportation figured out for this group

Doggiebag/Sean/Sasquatch - Transportation figured out for this group

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 22:09
We're down to 6 humans and 2 dogs. Let the dead pool begin. Smart moneys on the canines.

sasquatch2014
11-28-2007, 22:16
I am going to bribe my way into good standing with Aldo and bring him a gift of Pigs ears. It will also have the added commical value of giving him gas for his night in the tent with you.:banana

LastHonestFool
11-28-2007, 22:19
^ lol@that

man, I can't wait to GET OUT! 8 more days

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 22:27
See there ... lesson one. You gave yourself away. Normally if I was feeling evil - I would have just given Aldo the pig ears and let nature take it's course while enjoying the festivities from afar. Now that I'm aware of your malicious intent (which is disguised as affection for my dog) ... it will give me enough incentive to sneak a couple of extra pounds of rocks into your backpack when you least expect it. Bwa hahaha! In all seriousness I'm not capable of such behavior. Or am I?

wrongway_08
11-28-2007, 22:27
Man, there is nothing worse then dog gas!!! Hudson can almost make a person puke! Of course he usually waits till I take him to Pet Smart before getting gas - Damn dog!

Was thinking of bringing him but he has never hiked this many miles or delt with the cold. Oh well, maybe when there is not so many other things to deal with.

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 22:34
^ lol@that

man, I can't wait to GET OUT! 8 more days

40 miles in 3 days with full winter gear ... yeah I can't wait either. I haven't hiked in a month. I already feel sloth like. It's going to be interesting to say the least. It's going to be ... dare I say fun?

LastHonestFool
11-28-2007, 22:39
and your sorted better than I am currently...

I have no pack currently

well, I do...but a: it's 7 years old and is incredibly too short for me now
and b: I have no doubt that it wouldn't even fit half my stuff now

I used it as a kid

:-P

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 22:42
and your sorted better than I am currently...

I have no pack currently

well, I do...but a: it's 7 years old and is incredibly too short for me now
and b: I have no doubt that it wouldn't even fit half my stuff now

I used it as a kid

:-P
We'll get you fixed up with a rental at REI if need be ... that pack you ordered still backordered I'm assuming? What size pack do you wear?

sasquatch2014
11-28-2007, 22:57
I need to get out and put on some more miles. I am eating in such a manner as I am getting a good winter weight. Lets just say that with my current fat store I am pretty sure I can out last most of you and crawl out of my cave in the spring.

On my last short juant it felt good to get out of the long johns after the 3rd day that was for sure. Sitting by the fire didn't help the clean feel a bunch.2692

LastHonestFool
11-28-2007, 23:10
We'll get you fixed up with a rental at REI if need be ... that pack you ordered still backordered I'm assuming? What size pack do you wear?

I need a regular length nimbus ozone

I'm actually headed down to HF this weekend to pick one up from The Outfitter, so no worries

I cancelled my order that i had made offline thru travelcountry.com....they said it would be a couple of weeks (of which I didn't have...leaving in 8 days and all...)

so I'll get it sorted out, so it shouldn't be an issue :)

@sasquatch: what shelter is that with the fire place right in it?

doggiebag
11-28-2007, 23:12
I'm happy I've gained some extra pounds over the last month since my trek. It's the trail legs that I'll need to get back quick. I'm not freezing my butt off out there so I'm packing some extra weight in terms of clothing. I know it's Maryland and the terrain is very kind but I'll be honest with you ... it'll hurt some. Damn the dog just let out his full bouquet again!

LastHonestFool
11-28-2007, 23:22
I'm *hoping* I'll be warm when walking...

I'm not worried about in-camp or sleeping....just when walking

thinking my duofold medium weight base layer (gonna wear two of these, one on top the other....) and some zip off hiking pants will work for my bottom, and my top I'm nto worried about

sasquatch2014
11-29-2007, 08:50
The shelter was Fingerboard Shelter in Harriman State Park NY it is just south of Bear Mt by about 14 miles. Most of the shelters in the park have the fireplaces. at least the ones on the AT portion. Some have been closed up but they were all constructed that way back in the late 20's early 30's and they are soild made from local rock.

LastHonestFool
11-29-2007, 14:31
hmmm

my brother lives up there in Manhattan....

that might be my next trip, he could shuttle me :)

sasquatch2014
11-29-2007, 15:17
I was hoping to get more miles but the first day was bigger than expected with the climbs and then the snow the last day. In good weather and good shape from the Bridge to Rt 17 is just about 19 miles. It can be a good 2 day trip if you want with a stop at the William Brien Shelter. Here are a few more pics one of the West Mt shelter as well.

wrongway_08
11-29-2007, 16:46
Not to pull you all away from your talkings but just wanted to let you know, I got ahold of Sparky, he is still in.

wrongway_08
12-02-2007, 17:17
We have to be finished the hike and back to the vehicles by 4pm Saturday. Otherwise the gates will be locked till 11 on Sunday.

With only 10 miles to do Saturday, this will be easy, leave camp by 7am and we will have plenty of time to get everyone back to their vehicles at Penn-Mar at a decent time.

sasquatch2014
12-02-2007, 20:45
Man i hate hard and fast time limits. Is this the only place to park up there? I just hate the idea of having that deadline. Do you know this area well? I have never been there so I have no idea.

doggiebag
12-02-2007, 21:28
Personally I have no problem stretching this out till Sunday ... what about you Saskwatch? I can still drive you up to PenMar on Sunday instead of Saturday ... if needed. The first day's gonna be rough enough doing a 15 miler and setting up camp in the dark. But I'm up for anything you guys can dish out :eek:

Programbo
12-02-2007, 22:34
If you guys are planning to stop at Pine Knob Shelter I was just up there and the spring is like a trickle..Hopefully it`ll rain a bit soon

wrongway_08
12-03-2007, 16:55
The last day is only 10 miles, even at only 2 MPH, thats only 5 hours of hiking.
I am usually up and gone from the camp site around 8.
Even if we leave at 9am, that would be a arrival time at Harpers Ferry of 2pm.

We have plent of time to make it.

wrongway_08
12-03-2007, 17:13
Its Harpers Ferry lot that locks up at 4pm.

I dont think the Penn-Mar side is locked?

doggiebag
12-03-2007, 17:15
Okie dokie ... what time are you planning on arriving at PenMar park on day 1?

wrongway_08
12-03-2007, 17:16
I will need to be done Saturday...... Have plans already for Sunday.

wrongway_08
12-03-2007, 17:18
We (myself, Last Honest Fool and Saprky) should be arriving at 9-930, depends on how long it takes to get to PennMar from Harpers.

We are meeting at Harpers at 8am

sasquatch2014
12-03-2007, 18:18
I was thinking that we needed to be off trail and back to PenMar by 4:00. Getting to HF by 4:00 is np.

Snow? Did you guys get this storm down your way? We had a bunch of snow and then that fun freezing rain sleet. I was out in it getting my Chainsaw Cert for the AT duringthe storm. Lots of fun was about 15 degrees the last day.

doggiebag
12-03-2007, 18:35
I was thinking that we needed to be off trail and back to PenMar by 4:00. Getting to HF by 4:00 is np.

Snow? Did you guys get this storm down your way? We had a bunch of snow and then that fun freezing rain sleet. I was out in it getting my Chainsaw Cert for the AT duringthe storm. Lots of fun was about 15 degrees the last day.

I can do the time frames you guys mentioned. I'm ready I've got my base pack weight down to under 14 pounds minus fuel, food and winter clothes. So at most I'll be hauling a low to mid 20 lb pack. If there's no snow I can do 3 miles an hour in Maryland. No storm around central Maryland just lots of wind.

sasquatch2014
12-03-2007, 23:45
Well I think that I have my food bag down to almost 13 lbs.

I almost always have more stuff than i need but in winter i dont want to be too uncomfotable. i am wondering if i could hike in my Carhart insulated coveralls and still make decent time?:-?

doggiebag
12-04-2007, 10:33
Well I think that I have my food bag down to almost 13 lbs.

I almost always have more stuff than i need but in winter i dont want to be too uncomfotable. i am wondering if i could hike in my Carhart insulated coveralls and still make decent time?:-?

Correction ... my base weight just went up to 16 pounds (I'm bringing a inflatable thermarest AND a thermarest Zlite pad) which adds 3 lbs. Like you I believe in my comfort though some may scoff at the extra Zlite pad. I'm just bringing 3 Mountain housee dinners, cocoa, tea, poptarts for breadfast and a couple of power bars for lunch. I'm not bringing a water filter ... I'll pick up some Aquamira today. I may also just bring a small alcohol stove instead of my whisperlite stove. As far as hiking in coveralls ... in this weather I think the most important thing is not sweating. Believe me with the pace that we may have to hike ... you won't need coveralls to stay warm (as long as the wind isn't blowing hard). Worst case scenario ... we go slow and hike longer. I'd rather take my time than get chilled by sweat.

astrogirl
12-04-2007, 21:31
We got flurries near Front Royal and not much of those.

We might get snow tomorrow, but it won't be much if we get it at all.

doggiebag
12-04-2007, 21:46
We got flurries near Front Royal and not much of those.

We might get snow tomorrow, but it won't be much if we get it at all.

Snows fine ... it's rain that I can't stand. It'll be a tad chilly this weekend - but we gotta do what we gotta do :eek: It'll still be fun - in a hellish kinda way.

sparky2000
12-04-2007, 21:51
This is Sparky. I'll be at Pen-mar before 9am, probably by 8:30am. I'll wait in my car with a 15 lb. pack (gettin into the minilist attitude- I'm sure I'll dislike it but, gota try it). It's sowy, windy, and cold in mid state Pa. mountains. Expect the Md.'s mountains to be low 30s daytime and 20's nighttime with wind chills day and night close to the teens.

doggiebag
12-04-2007, 22:07
This is Sparky. I'll be at Pen-mar before 9am, probably by 8:30am. I'll wait in my car with a 15 lb. pack (gettin into the minilist attitude- I'm sure I'll dislike it but, gota try it). It's sowy, windy, and cold in mid state Pa. mountains. Expect the Md.'s mountains to be low 30s daytime and 20's nighttime with wind chills day and night close to the teens.
40 miles in under 3 days with wind chills in the teens and to top it off it's the last weekend of deer firearms season ... I can't wait :eek: . Oh by the way ... my 16 lb pack weight does not take into account the extra clothing which I'll be bundling myself with once camp is setup. I'm planning on layering BIG time when I'm not moving.

sasquatch2014
12-04-2007, 22:29
My wife thinks that I have been conditioning myself for our little winter outing by keeping the house cold. i told here that it is just an added bonus to heating oil being at least $3.15 a gallon and living in a old drafty home.:(

LastHonestFool
12-05-2007, 02:23
shew that storm knocked my ijnternet out for a couple days

I'm still good to go...gonna get my food together tommorow

I'm planning to pick up my Nimbus Ozone THAT morning, but I'll have it all in my old Kelty pack....so it shoudl onyl be a matter of swapping it into theother pack, adjusting the straps, and get going

still super excited :D

doggiebag
12-05-2007, 14:53
Team DB is psyched. Let's get this thing over with! I'll be at the Harpers Ferry visitors center parking lot at 8:00. Is that the rally point and time? Let the winter death march begin :eek:

sasquatch2014
12-05-2007, 15:18
I was thinking that some fitting reading material for our little cold stroll may be the story of the "Donner Party" or The tale of the Endurance.:-?

doggiebag
12-05-2007, 15:24
Just don't show any sign of weakness. We'll go for the slow ones first.

wrongway_08
12-05-2007, 19:28
This is the meeting spot for the morning - 8am.
As you are about to cross the bridge into WV, you will see the flashing traffic light, turn right there, the outfitters will be almost directly on your left.

If you go across the bridge, you went to far :)

http://www.rivertrail.com/

River & Trail Outfitters
604 Valley Road
Knoxville, MD 21758
Phone: 888- i go play (446-7529)
301-695-5177
Fax: 301-834-4173

On another note, we got snow!!!! Going to make for somw slippery spots on the rocks!

doggiebag
12-05-2007, 19:32
As you are about to cross the bridge into WV, you will see the flashing traffic light, turn right there, the outfitters will be almost directly on your left.

On another note, we got snow!!!! Going to make for somw slippery spots on the rocks!

As long as it's not rain. See you in the AM.

wrongway_08
12-05-2007, 19:32
Yea, I lost my dang headlamp............went and bought a temp one from Walmart......$15.00..it seems bright (6 leds) but not as good as the other one (3 led).

LastHonestFool
12-05-2007, 19:42
so got off the phone with the outfitter, and their website was off...they dont have any nimbus ozone in stock

calling all the outfitters I can think of in the area....and no one has it, or heard of it

anyone know of any granite gear stores in the area?

doggiebag
12-05-2007, 19:56
I guess you may have to go to plan B and use that old standby of yours. Since you suggested this trip ... you better show up - it's just good form (since you are the organizer of this cluster fork). :mad:

LastHonestFool
12-05-2007, 19:59
oh no, I'm going for sure...just much rather get this damned pack

APPARENTLY REI doesn't stock granite gear, neither does Hudson Trial, EMS, H n H, bass pro, and a number of other places I've called :)

I'll just suck it up and tough it out if need be

LastHonestFool
12-05-2007, 20:02
whats the difference between the numbus ozone and the numbus meridian?

just the front loading zipper?

the outfitter's had that one in stock...

wrongway_08
12-05-2007, 20:13

River & Trail Outfitters
604 Valley Road
Knoxville, MD 21758
Phone: 888- i go play (446-7529)
301-695-5177
Fax: 301-834-4173

Doggiebag... and if it is rain???

doggiebag
12-05-2007, 20:19
It'll just suck. I just preffer snow. Rain's a killer in these temps. In short if it rains it's just more dangerous at these temps - IMHO. It does not affect my plans.

wrongway_08
12-05-2007, 20:35
Cool, just making sure :)

doggiebag
12-05-2007, 20:38
Cool, just making sure :)
Hiker ethics ... if I say I'll be there .... unless I got hurt or killed - I'll be there.:)

doggiebag
12-05-2007, 21:45
For one thing the ozone is cheaper ... but looks like it's not as sturdy as the meridian.
http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/765/Granite-Gear-Nimbus-Ozone-Backpack.html

Looks like the meridian is made for thru-hikes.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/2994/Granite-Gear-Nimbus-Meridian-Backpack-SIZE-SHORT-ONLY.html

IMHO - go with what you have. Shop for your pack at REI where you can try everything on at the store ... and if your not happy you can return the pack for any reason.

LastHonestFool
12-05-2007, 23:29
Well, I've got my old Kelty Yukon packed and everything all situated and everything, so I'm going to use that....

forgot to buy some poptarts, so I'll pick that up on the way down to HF

aside from that, I'll be there with bells on :)

wrongway_08
12-06-2007, 07:08
About to leave in 20 minutes, see ya at harpers Ferry!

doggiebag
01-14-2008, 14:26
<OBJECT height=350 width=425>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jj4ic28CktY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT>
Video trip report. Better late than never. Late fall SOBO weekend from PenMar park heading to Harpers Ferry. Present were: LastHonestFool, Sasquatch, Team Doggiebag and Wrongway - a cold time was had by all.