PDA

View Full Version : Snow in the Smokies

manzana
11-19-2003, 11:57
Has anywhere in the Smokies had snow yet?

manzana

chris
11-19-2003, 12:08
As of Sunday, there was no snow in the Smokys, but a little ice above 4500 ft.

Kozmic Zian
02-08-2004, 00:51
Has anywhere in the Smokies had snow yet?

manzana

You can rest assured it has/////da always get da early snows down dare. KZ@

steve hiker
02-08-2004, 13:31
Good bit of snow this weekend.:D

Scaper
02-08-2004, 20:26
Some parts have had over 4 feet since Dec. 1

Brushy Sage
12-11-2004, 21:39
Asheville Citizen-Times reports that highway 441 through Newfound Gap was closed earlier today (Dec 11, '04) due to snow. Ridge tops to the north, along the TN/NC border may see a 6-8 inch accumulation overnight.

Ramble~On
12-12-2004, 04:51
Yes, there is snow in the Smokies and surrounding higher elevations.
5 inches and more.

stickat04
12-12-2004, 12:11
http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmpkcam/grsmpkcam.htm

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 12:18
Hey! Thanks for that link!

I stayed down in the lowlands last night hoping we would get some snow too, but never got any. It was a cold, wet night. The low down near Abrams Creek was around 35 I would guess, and we had rain on and off until after midnight.

RU98A
12-12-2004, 22:21
13 inches at Mt. LeConte

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/MRX/RTPMRX:banana

MicahDawgNC
12-12-2004, 23:29
I am leaving tuesday morning for a newfound gap to fontana dam hike. I am hoping that the snow that is being predicted for monday night will not happen so Hwy 441 will be open the next day. If not I will start from Fontana and hike to clingman's then back.

I will report back to y'all on Friday or Saturday when I get back as to what I found up there!

BTW, does anyone know how easy it would be to get a ride from the Park Service up to Newfound Gap if the road is closed due to poor conditions? I'll be coming from the NC side. Thanks!

The Solemates
12-13-2004, 15:02
BTW, does anyone know how easy it would be to get a ride from the Park Service up to Newfound Gap if the road is closed due to poor conditions? I'll be coming from the NC side. Thanks!

I imagine pretty hard, but you can always call and ask before you go. Additionally, when the road does close, its usually the TN side that opens back up first, not the NC side.

sherrill
12-13-2004, 15:09
Check out this link:

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmpkcam/grsmpkcam.htm

Groucho
12-13-2004, 15:21
Nice view of Cold Mountain (http://webcam.srs.fs.fed.us/), Shining Rock Wilderness. It does look cold up there.

The Solemates
12-13-2004, 15:29
Im sure it is. Thats the coldest place Ive ever camped. Several years ago over New Years it was -10F with 18 inches of snow on the ground and the wind was blowing about 40 mph. Insane!

grizzlyadam
12-13-2004, 20:54
just thought i'd add that highway 441 through the smokies was reopened today.

MicahDawgNC
12-15-2004, 21:21
I cut my trip really short because of the cold and the snowdrifts I found at Spence Field Shelter yesterday evening and this morning. There were snowdrifts of about 3 feet in many places along the AT...in some places well above my waist. I wasn't about to wander any further off into the backcountry then get stuck. So there it is. Kind of disappointing..but still a learning experience.

I learned that it's a good idea to use wide-mouth nalgenes in subfreezing weather -- it makes chipping out the ice much easier.

orangebug
12-15-2004, 21:34
Yup, I learned the hard way that Platypus bladders are really useless bricks when frozen.

You will learn from this experience and it will become a fun challenge for the future. Ain't postholing fun? Far better than any StairMaster I've ever seen!

Brushy Sage
12-16-2004, 11:32
Our trail trail maintenance plans for this Friday (Dec 17) have been changed to locations at lower elevations, because we can't get in to the work sites along the AT in the western NC mountains. A word to the wise!

Percival
12-16-2004, 12:56
A BIG ONE is heading straight for the AT this weekend:

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=1

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=3

MicahDawgNC
12-17-2004, 01:07
If anyone cares to read a short report and see pictures of the conditions from my trip to the Smokys this past Tuesday and Wednesday, you can visit my blog:

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=marosema

Brushy Sage
12-17-2004, 21:24
If anyone cares to read a short report and see pictures of the conditions from my trip to the Smokys this past Tuesday and Wednesday, you can visit my blog:

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=marosema

Thanks for this very interesting report. Glad you're back safely.

wacocelt
12-17-2004, 21:50
Thanks for sharing the story and pictures of your trip! I'de like to disagree that your journaey was ill-fated however, you saw some great wildlife, learned some very valuable lessons and came away with your life and a terrific story of survival that very very few of your fellow Americans could begin to concieve of. Kudos to you!

orangebug
12-17-2004, 23:46
You really did quite well, and learned a great deal. Congratulations on your trip. You learned why alcohol is a 3 season fuel. You learned how to extend the range of your sleeping bag. You learned about water management, including the boiling of water and putting the container in your sleeping bag. You learned that solo hiking into wintry conditions isn't a great idea. You saw some terrific wildlife, especially the turkeys.

BTW, there is a picture that is pasted to the bottom right hand corner of your blog page. It makes reading your blog almost impossible. It detracts from the page. But which mountain top is that?

hacksaw
12-18-2004, 10:54
Well, I just went out with the binoculars and looked up toward Springer Mtn., it sure does look white up there!

Hey, Orange Bug, I'm thinking about a run up 42 later on today just for grins and to see how the road up is, wanna' go?

Hacksaw

Noggin
12-18-2004, 13:54
3+ inches from Smokies to Damascus tomorrow, and i'll bet it'll be much higher at elevation.

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=0

Jaybird
12-18-2004, 16:38
there was SNOW in the Blue Ridge Mtns portion (Roan mtn/Carvers Gap) area of the trail this past week....also SNOW is heading for East TN & NC this weekend (12/18,& 19)....

i live in middle TN...we're expecting snow showers...not much accumulation!
DARN! :D

orangebug
12-18-2004, 17:12
Well, I just went out with the binoculars and looked up toward Springer Mtn., it sure does look white up there!

Hey, Orange Bug, I'm thinking about a run up 42 later on today just for grins and to see how the road up is, wanna' go?

HacksawSure would, but didn't log back on until 4PM. And I've got a dotter visiting. Rain check me on that one!

Hikerhead
12-18-2004, 22:29
Nice story. You had a real adventure.

Alcohol stoves.... A litte trick I've heard about but haven't tried. About 30 minutes before lighting your stove, stove you alcohol in you shirt so that it will warm up the fuel. If you have a Trangia, fill it up and tuck it in.

wacocelt
12-19-2004, 17:25
I plan to keep my fuel bottle inside my jacket as I hike( I may use one of those small plastic flasks, so anyone who sees me/it it's Denatured Alcohol, not the drinkin' type), as well as my platypus with the drinking tube run down my sleeve to prevent freezing.

orangebug
12-19-2004, 17:43
The problem with alcohol as a winter fuel is the amount of energy it can create. You have some concern with making sure that it vaporizes and burns, but that flame has to heat water to boiling from a much lower temperature, while competing with the heat sinks of surrounding air, contact with pot stand and contact with the ground. The strategy of keeping fuel warm may work with butane/propane canister fuels, but isn't likely to be of great help with alcohol.

BTW, I tried the sucking tube strategy with Platypus bladders in the Smokies during prolonged freezing conditions. Unless you carry the bladder under your jacket, both the bladder and the tube may freeze due to exposure to ambient freezing temperatures. Bring some sort of a wide mouth bottle as a back up, even an empty Gatorade bottle.

Noggin
12-20-2004, 04:50
-14 right now on Mt. Mitchell. -3 on Purchase Knob in the Smokies.

Brushy Sage
12-20-2004, 17:07
Our project to build a new shelter near Max Patch has been abandoned for the winter. Too much snow in the area.

manzana
12-21-2004, 13:30
Hey Brushy sage, what group are you with? That sounds like a really neat project. I am guessing you will build it on the north side, right? How can others help out?

APPLE in Austin

Brushy Sage
12-21-2004, 17:31
Hey Brushy sage, what group are you with? That sounds like a really neat project. I am guessing you will build it on the north side, right? How can others help out?

APPLE in Austin

Yes, a bit north of Max Patch Mtn, to replace the Roaring Fork shelter sometime next year. I'm just a lilttle cog in the gear train. Check out membership in the Carolilna Mountain Club: www.carolinamtnclub.com

Scaper
12-21-2004, 18:44
Most if not all of the snow in the southern Blue Ridge will be melting with the warmer temps. this week. There still might be a small amount later in the week at elevations above 5,000 feet. Elevations below this should be clear of snow by Thursday Dec. 23.

MicahDawgNC
12-26-2004, 01:49
BTW, there is a picture that is pasted to the bottom right hand corner of your blog page. It makes reading your blog almost impossible. It detracts from the page. But which mountain top is that?
Yes. I need to change the background picture. I just haven't bothered to.

It is a side-view of Table Rock in Burke County, NC on the Eastern rim of Linville Gorge.