PDA

View Full Version : Hard Time Finding Water

Frog
10-21-2007, 10:10
I talked with a sobo thru hiker the other week that said he was having a really hard time finding water along the va. section. I know first hand that springs in the Mt Rogers area have been drying up. Ive heard the spring at Thomas Knob shelter dried up but you can get water at Rod. Gap. The next shelter north was dry last week. Any one have more info on water at some shelters n.c. Va. ect.south

Press
10-21-2007, 21:10
I hiked through the Mt. Pleasant/Tar Jacket Ridge/Salt Log Gap/Rocky Mountain area of Central Virginia today and saw no water anywhere. Leaf litter extremely dry too. But someone/trail angels had left several gallon jugs of water at a couple of the road crossings.

Tennessee Viking
10-21-2007, 21:24
The upper elevations in Tennessee are pretty dry. Hikers have been using the restrooms at Carvers Gap and the Rodo Gardens for water.

I was just at Bitter End to 19E. Laurel Fork is still flowing. Mountaineer Falls was low, water can only be gathered below the rock face. Sugar and Slide Hollows barely flowing. Easy collection at Jones Falls at the side spring is dry, only small pools or farside cascade are flowing. Everything else was dry down to the highway.

Route Step
10-21-2007, 21:38
I was out on a short section hike about ten days ago. Paul Wolfe shelter had excellent water flow in the stream.
Maupin had a small pool but clear.
Harpers Creek shelter had a larger pool and clear.
Laurel spring had water.
The Humpback picnic area has a water fountain that was working at the time.
Tye river was fine and I was told Cripple creek and the Priest had water, but I haven't been up there.

I also found lots of water being left by people at road crossings

Bootstrap
10-22-2007, 10:06
As of last weekend, between 19E and Hugh's Gap, here are the best bets.

Apple House Shelter has good water.

(Doll's Flats had just a trickle. Didn't check Bradley Gap or the water source on Little Humpback).

The service road to Overmountain Shelter has good water 2,000 feet from the shelter (turn left from the trail that leads to the AT from the shelter).

A useable trickle on the springs south of the side trail to Grassy Ridge Bald.

I didn't find the spring box at Carver's Gap. Where on earth is it?

Cloudlands had a nice drinking fountain with a faucet.

Didn't check Ash Gap.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

Wonder
10-22-2007, 10:11
Not that it will make a huge difference right away......but it's been raining in Damascus all morning. Hopefully things are on the up and up