PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped Friend: Best view within 1/4 mile of a road?

Bootstrap
10-21-2007, 14:14
I have a handicapped friend who was asking me about my hike last weekend. One of the questions she asked was this: what's the best view she could find within 1/4 miles of a road up in the mountains, where the walk isn't too challenging?

I'm not sure if there's any way to get the forest service to open up the service road to Overmountain for her, that would be one possibility. At 19E and Hughes Gap, the roads weren't where the views are, and at Carver's Gap she'd have to walk more than 1/4 mile.

This does not necessarily need to be on the AT for her, though she would also like to walk on 1/4 mile of the trail if she could.

Any suggestions?

Jonathan

Jack Tarlin
10-21-2007, 14:16
It's probably closer to four tenths of a mile instead of a quarter mile, but I'd take your friend to Max Patch Mountain near Hot Springs, NC. If you visit the outfitter in town, they'll give you a free map to the mountain!

Jack Tarlin
10-21-2007, 14:28
You could also drive quite easily to Wayah Bald near Franklin NC which also has a very nice view.

Hikerhead
10-21-2007, 14:31
How about the Beauty Spot near Erwin Tn. Or the tower on top Clingmans Dome. Or on top of Catawba Mtn in Va on 311, hike south 1/4 mile for a pretty nice view. Or the Blue Ridge Parkway or SNP, lots of pull offs with views. Or Peaks Of Otter in va, she can ride the bus to the top and see ridgelines where the trail crosses.

KG4FAM
10-21-2007, 14:34
Beauty Spot Bald north of Erwin has a parking lot that is right next to the top. If your friend can make it up a firetower there is a road that goes to the top of Rich Mountain just north of Hot Springs

KG4FAM
10-21-2007, 14:44
Also there are some good waterfalls in the tip of South Carolina and near Highlands, NC. Upper Whitewater, Eastatoee and Dry Falls come to mind, but there are waterfalls all over the place up there.

MOWGLI
10-21-2007, 16:06
The AT has a new handicapped accessible section of trail in NE Tennessee. It's commonly called the Osborne Tract. Checkout the following link for more info;

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/047020.html

Bootstrap
10-21-2007, 16:55
Excellent, excellent information! Thanks, y'all, I'll be checking these out. And keep the ideas coming!

Jonathan

karo
10-21-2007, 17:10
Another idea is the trail to Stone Door overlook near Monteagle, TN. The first quarter of a mile is paved to a deck with a great overlook. You could even hike on to the overlook and pose there for your other person that is handicapped to take a great pic of ya!

Uncle Silly
10-21-2007, 17:38
McAfee Knob isn't too far from a road. It's more than 1/4 mile though. I haven't looked recently, but if I recall there are some old woods roads / logging roads in that area that might be more accessible to a wheelchair or whatnot.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-21-2007, 18:31
A lot of great suggestions in this thread.

While it is a bit of drive the thread starter's location, I'd recommend driving along the portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway that AT follows in Virginia. Spectacular views and vista from the road and the ability to stop and walk down the AT at various crossings.

Another great drive for the handicapped person craving a wilderness experience is Rich Mountain Road from Cades Cove in the GSMNP. This is a gravel, one-way road that is like hiking in a car. It kept me sane when I was in a wheelchair for months in 2004. There are many places to pull off and walk out to points that overlook Cades Cove, West Miller Cove and forested valleys.

Lone Wolf
10-21-2007, 19:50
McAfee Knob isn't too far from a road. It's more than 1/4 mile though. I haven't looked recently, but if I recall there are some old woods roads / logging roads in that area that might be more accessible to a wheelchair or whatnot.

it's 3.7 miles.

rafe
10-21-2007, 21:06
it's 3.7 miles.

And as I recall, the first mile or two from the gap to McAfee Knob were a lot tougher than I expected. [I'm thinking of the gap betw. Tinker Cliffs and McAfee.]

Hikerhead
10-21-2007, 21:20
Brickley Gap? You can't drive up that. It's a private rd. Me and The Frig walked down it a year or two ago and I wouldn't want to do that again. Besides, it's still a long walk from there with a lot of ups and downs. There is a forest service rd that runs from 311 to the backside of Campbell Shelter? on the north side of McAfee but still a lot of climbing even if you got the go ahead from the FS, which I don't you would.

Uncle Silly
10-21-2007, 21:57
And as I recall, the first mile or two from the gap to McAfee Knob were a lot tougher than I expected. [I'm thinking of the gap betw. Tinker Cliffs and McAfee.]

Tinker Cliffs is N of McAfee, further from the road. (I'm thinking of the road in Catawba... maybe I should find my map...)

MOWGLI
10-21-2007, 22:05

McAfee Knob is not accessible in any sense.

Jim Adams
10-21-2007, 23:19
With the trail lay-out at Carver's Gap, She could be pushed in the wheelchair almost to the top...one of my favorite spots on the AT.
What about Albert Mt.?

geek

Bootstrap
10-22-2007, 07:21
With the trail lay-out at Carver's Gap, She could be pushed in the wheelchair almost to the top...one of my favorite spots on the AT.

I'm trying to picture this - I assume that you mean the trail up Engine Bald, but I can't imagine pushing a wheelchair up that, at least not a conventional wheelchair. Or is there another place you're thinking of?

Jonathan

lunchbx
10-22-2007, 07:33
I'm pretty sure there was no wheelchair mentioned. but anyway I think the blue ridge parkway or skyline drive in the doahs would be the best. I recommend skyline cause the trail weaves in and out and there are many opportunities to stop and walk/wheel suitable sections of the trail

Lone Wolf
10-22-2007, 07:36
I have a handicapped friend who was asking me about my hike last weekend. One of the questions she asked was this: what's the best view she could find within 1/4 miles of a road up in the mountains, where the walk isn't too challenging?

I'm not sure if there's any way to get the forest service to open up the service road to Overmountain for her, that would be one possibility. At 19E and Hughes Gap, the roads weren't where the views are, and at Carver's Gap she'd have to walk more than 1/4 mile.

This does not necessarily need to be on the AT for her, though she would also like to walk on 1/4 mile of the trail if she could.

Any suggestions?

Jonathan

you can drive up Whitetop Mtn easily on the forest service road

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2007, 07:49
Some practical advice from someone who has actually had experience with a wheelchair out on trails - conventional wheelchair wheels are not designed to handle the rigors of going off solid surfaces for long periods while occupied. Dust gets in the bearings and brake mechanisms and that requires some serious disassembly / cleaning / re-lube & repacking.

There are 'wheelchairs' available that are designed for 'off-road' use and these can often be rented from home-health type places. They have oversized, knobby tires and protective coverings on bearings. You can take one almost anywhere you can take a mountain bike without jumping the bike. They will even ford a stream up to about 10" without a problem! The downside was pain -- all the bumping can hurt pretty bad depending on what has caused a person to be in a wheelchair.

Some mobility devices (scooter chair and Jazzy for example) can handle some limited 'off-road' activities. They look more like a three-wheeler or four-wheeler than a traditional wheelchair from the chair down. Electric versions of all-terrain wheelchairs and mobility devices are allowed on some trails where other motorized vehicles are not - check with the agency that manages the area for regulations regarding their use by handicapped patrons. I was required to to show the supporting paperwork for my handicapped parking permit to be issued a permit to be allowed to use such a device in non-motorized areas in the Cherokee national forest and in the GSMNP. (The supporting paperwork for a handicapped parking permit looks sort of like car registation paperwork, shows who the permit was issued to and why it was issued - a doctor has to certify the need for this) One warning - these devices are not tip-proof and cannot ford streams deeper than about 2". They also cannot handle trails with significant rock and roots protruding (over about 5-6").

Bootstrap
10-22-2007, 08:34
I'm pretty sure there was no wheelchair mentioned.

Right - she normally does not use a wheelchair, and she can walk for about 1/2 mile.

but anyway I think the blue ridge parkway or skyline drive in the doahs would be the best. I recommend skyline cause the trail weaves in and out and there are many opportunities to stop and walk/wheel suitable sections of the trail

Yes, that makes sense.

Jonathan

Bootstrap
10-22-2007, 08:36
There are 'wheelchairs' available that are designed for 'off-road' use and these can often be rented from home-health type places.

Oh cool! This might open other options (depending on the cost of rental, I imagine ...)

Jonathan

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2007, 19:25
Jon--

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but in addition to all of the NC/Tenn places that have mentioned, don't forget about Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. There are scores of overlooks right on the road, as well as places to park and then do short hikes; there are even sections of paved trails in the Park designed especially for people with health or disability issues.

LIhikers
10-22-2007, 21:45
Well, if your up for a road trip you and your friend could drive to the top of Bear Mountain, NY and the AT will only be feet away. On a clear day you can see NY city to the south and the Catskill Mountains to the north.

Of course I don't think that's what she ment when she talked about being up in the mountains.

Moon Monster
10-23-2007, 19:01
you can drive up Whitetop Mtn easily on the forest service road

Winner!
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/153534/Whitetop-Mountain.html

"This peak is also home to the highest auto road in the state, a well groomed gravel track that leads from SR 600 to very near the absolute summit....The views from these meadows, just below the summit ridge, are among the finest in the Southern Appalchians."

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=durham&daddr=36.634815,-81.605072&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=12&sll=36.653547,-81.603699&sspn=0.190049,0.458679&ie=UTF8&ll=36.361587,-80.233154&spn=1.526121,3.669434&z=9&om=1

Hikerhead
10-23-2007, 20:13
Jon--

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but in addition to all of the NC/Tenn places that have mentioned, don't forget about Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. There are scores of overlooks right on the road, as well as places to park and then do short hikes; there are even sections of paved trails in the Park designed especially for people with health or disability issues.

Not to mention the Limberlost trail near Skyland. About a 1 1/2 mile loop on a wide pea graveled trail with almost no elevaton gain or lost. I took my mom there a few years ago and a huge 300 lb bear popped up 10 feet away on the other side of a fallen hemlock tree. No views but a great place for a wheel chair and a nice trail.