PDA

View Full Version : Fart sack?

saimyoji
10-21-2007, 18:42
This is a serious sleeping bag question!!

When hiking I tend to be slightly more flatulent than usual, especially after dinner. So naturally when trying to fall asleep/stay warm on chilly nights there is the issue of:

Do you fart in your bag and not worry about it, or do you unzip to ventilate?

Corollary to this question:

Which holds more fart funk: Down or synthetic?

Freeleo
10-21-2007, 18:45
move along nothing to see here

wrongway_08
10-21-2007, 19:01
HHHmmm, we need a tester, 2 syn bags - 2 down bags (a controlled and a test bag for each), a smeller, controlled group of backpacker meals, gov't fund for research cost..........

warraghiyagey
10-21-2007, 20:13
Threads dead, Baby, threads dead. . . hopefully.

saimyoji
10-21-2007, 22:16
Well, some people are at least responding to the poll. I think this is a very valid question, one that should be on your mind as you rip nasties into that $300 sleeping bag.

Personally, I don't spend that much (or haven't yet) on my bag, so I have no problem lettin' loose. However, I just have to ventilate. I chose the last option though. Surprised more people haven't. :-?

Footslogger
10-21-2007, 22:40
[quote=saimyoji;430735]

==================================

Depends on how much my eyes water ...

'Slogger

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 00:42
Forced air heating

warraghiyagey
10-22-2007, 00:55
Forced air heating

I don't know about that. For some unfortunate soul it could be a boiler system. Hopefully with no leaks.:D

Heater
10-22-2007, 08:00
It would be great if the made a sleeping bag out of meterial that would chemically react with methane to produce heat.

Beans every night. :clap

Landshark
10-22-2007, 19:44
What if you were REALLY cold, tried to force one, and then... it wasn't just air that came out!

Maybe that's why most shelters have only 3 sides!

Footslogger
10-22-2007, 21:40
[quote=Landshark;431536]What if you were REALLY cold, tried to force one, and then... it wasn't just air that came out!

=====================================

That's called a "SHART"

'Slogger

J5man
10-22-2007, 22:22

That's called a "SHART"

'Slogger[/quote]

LOL.....from the movie "Along Came Polly" from the scene at the art gallery.

Jim Adams
10-22-2007, 22:25
[quote=Landshark;431536]What if you were REALLY cold, tried to force one, and then... it wasn't just air that came out!

That's called a "SHART"

'Slogger

:banana Have ya'll seen the new polypro depends with the duct tape fasteners?
geek

Trailjockey
10-22-2007, 23:06
Be sure to hang out the "NO SMOKING" sign!

saimyoji
01-19-2008, 06:54
Well after extensive observation and data collection I've arrived at the following conclusions....

Farting in the bag is no big deal.
Down tends to hold the funk longer, but aerates better upon squishing. Synthetic doesn't hold the funk as much after each individual release, but does get funkier in the long haul.
You can rip away into that expensive bag without worry.

(nasty fart smiley)

superman
01-19-2008, 07:28
By the time I was approaching Harpers Ferry I was pretty confident that I'd invented a new product for stripping paint. The intensity of the reek that resulted from the unwashed sleeping bag odor and a fart that resulted from a post mac and cheese meal took nasty to a new level. I'm pretty sure it would work great to strip paint off old furniture. I fell asleep trying to figure out how to get it into a production line of cans. I figured the logo would be something like "from my can to yours.":D (this is humor.)

margo
01-19-2008, 09:17
Everyone knows girls don't fart but if I ever did I would let it vent quickly. Oders settle in fluffy stuff, ciggarette oders, pet oders. It's not like farts are going to freshen it up, why take the chance.

margo
01-19-2008, 09:20
What if you were REALLY cold, tried to force one, and then... it wasn't just air that came out!

That's called a "shart".

superman
01-19-2008, 09:46
Competitive farting:

Real men fart...it's what we're good at. When I was in the service we used to have a rating system for our farts. They were rated one thru five for smell and for sound. 5 was best for either category. Tone considerations included volume, tone, reverberation and flutter. Odor was rated on the degree of foulness, durability, tearability and if it acted as a breeder reactor. Then the scores were added together. The problem with competitive farting is that when you get a high number in one category you usually get a low number in the other. It’s damn hard to get a nine or ten. Sleeping bags might impede some aspects of a fart in competition. Morning after beer farts were the best for me.

Heater
01-19-2008, 10:47
Competitive farting:

Real men fart...it's what we're good at. When I was in the service we used to have a rating system for our farts. They were rated one thru five for smell and for sound. 5 was best for either category. Tone considerations included volume, tone, reverberation and flutter. Odor was rated on the degree of foulness, durability, tearability and if it acted as a breeder reactor. Then the scores were added together. The problem with competitive farting is that when you get a high number in one category you usually get a low number in the other. It’s damn hard to get a nine or ten. Sleeping bags might impede some aspects of a fart in competition. Morning after beer farts were the best for me.

Then there is fart Baseball (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17391).

atraildreamer
01-19-2008, 14:53
Beans for supper...followed by a musical program! :eek::banana

Bearpaw
01-19-2008, 15:33
It's called a quilt. It solves a lot of problems......:rolleyes:

desdemona
01-19-2008, 18:28
HHHmmm, we need a tester, 2 syn bags - 2 down bags (a controlled and a test bag for each), a smeller, controlled group of backpacker meals, gov't fund for research cost..........

Send this one to Mythbusters (Discovery Channel). They'd probably do it. LOL! Too funny.

--des

HikeLite
01-19-2008, 23:21
Your new trailname iiiiisssss..............fartfunk

This is a serious sleeping bag question!!

When hiking I tend to be slightly more flatulent than usual, especially after dinner. So naturally when trying to fall asleep/stay warm on chilly nights there is the issue of:

Corollary to this question:

Which holds more fart funk: Down or synthetic?

HikeLite
01-19-2008, 23:26
Hate it when I gamble and lose....messy.

Tin Man
01-19-2008, 23:42
Hate it when I gamble and lose....messy.

Sharted is never pleasant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiNZdTSH3-A&feature=related

Deadeye
01-20-2008, 00:32
There are some things to keep in mind when you're over 50... and perhaps the most important one is:

Never trust a fart.:):o:eek::(:mad:

Heater
01-20-2008, 07:44
There are some things to keep in mind when you're over 50... and perhaps the most important one is:

Never trust a fart.:):o:eek::(:mad:

Is that how you got your name of "deadeye"? Juuust wonderin'?

:D

mudhead
01-20-2008, 11:09
[QUOTE=margo;505985]Everyone knows girls don't fart but if I ever did/QUOTE]

Ha!

They don't sweat either.