PDA

View Full Version : Do people play any poker on thru hikes?

corso k-9
10-21-2007, 19:58
I am planning a 2009 thru hike... I also love to play poker... I was wondering if people ever get games together at night at camp? You know, we could all throw a provision of equal value into the pot and play tournament style... well, if people don't generally do those things in camp, I'm here to say that wherever CORSO is camping, there will be at least one guy that wants to get a game going. See you on the trail

warraghiyagey
10-21-2007, 20:01
I've actually never seen anyone play cards of any sort on the trail. Maybe in town but not on the trail. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Wonder
10-21-2007, 20:12
there have been games. I've never played for real money on trail....but in 06 I remember at least 3 ontrail hold'm games.....good times

Marta
10-21-2007, 20:18
Yeah, I played poker with Fisherman Tom in 2006, but only once. We planned a rematch, but never ended up in the same shelter again. Sad.

Later I got involved in an ongoing battle of Spades for Three with Lush and Glo-Worm that lasted about a week. We started at the Doyle, then played in shelters, keeping score in the shelter register.

I always carry a deck of cards with me when I hike, and play Solitaire at night when I run out of reading material.

I think you'll get some takers. Cautionary note: Be careful with your sanitation, i.e., don't eat while playing cards, or bite your nails, or whatever, until after you've finished the game and Purelled your hands. It would be sad if you became known as Typhoid Corso.

Doughnut
10-21-2007, 20:19
I hiked with a couple guys that played hearts or rummy every night. I guess it's a craps shoot if anyone has cards. If you want to carry your own you may get soem action, though usually, by the end of the day, you are tired, and would rather relax.

mountain squid
10-21-2007, 20:38
You might be able to get a game going every now and then. Bear in mind, however, that at the beginning of your hike there will be too many other things happening (tending blisters, figuring out your gear, meeting other people, talking gear, etc). And, as Dough mentioned, you (as well as potential players) will likely be too tired (and probably cold) to want to play cards. Suggest holding off carrying a deck until you've established a routine and are used to hiking all day, every day...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. There are smaller decks of cards than the 'normal size'. You might be able to find them at a local outfitter.

Pacific Tortuga
10-21-2007, 20:41
There was some late night money and food exchange at Standing Bear Hostel. :cool:

briarpatch
10-21-2007, 21:12
Yeah, . . . . .
I always carry a deck of cards with me when I hike, and play Solitaire at night when I run out of reading material.
. . . . .

Plus, if you everget lost, just start playing Solitare. In less than 10 minutes, someone will come along and tell you to play the black jack on the red 10 and you can ask them where you are. :welcome

Programbo
10-21-2007, 21:18
Back when I did my hike me and this other guy played "25,000 Rummy" all the way up the trail when we happened to share a shelter..It`s just like regular rummy except of course it takes forever...LOL

corso k-9
10-21-2007, 21:18
ohhh, your right in Charlotte eh? I live right near Lake Wylie... congrats on your sucessful hike.

corso k-9
10-21-2007, 21:19
marta, that is.

SGT Rock
10-21-2007, 21:20
Playing Solitaire is also a survival strategy in case you ever get lost in the back-country.

Marta
10-22-2007, 06:30
Playing Solitaire is also a survival strategy in case you ever get lost in the back-country.

Good point. It would keep you from wandering around, making it even harder for the searchers to find you.:rolleyes:

PS--Thanks, Corso. Good luck on your upcoming hike!

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 08:16
Well whenever you play solitare, someone always comes up and tries to tell you what card to play next. So if you are totally lost, pull out the deck and start playing solitare, eventually some wiseass will show up.

mountain squid
10-22-2007, 08:25
UHH, you're a day late and a dollar short with that one SGT Rock...re-read briarpatch's post #8...:D :rolleyes:

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mstrat
10-22-2007, 08:46
Oops...I misread this...I replaced "play any poker" with "gamble" making the post read "Do people gamble on thru hikers?"

I opened it thinking...if not, I think we should...do ya think this guy or that guy will make it...or will they get eaten by a bear? Based on his stats, I give 10:1 odds on him. Maybe we could get everyone who starts to send their picture in somewhere with their stats and we could make trading cards on thru hikers...

Whatcha think???

Pirate
10-22-2007, 09:28
When you get to Neels Gap, there is usually a weekly poker game at Winton Porters house.

Wonder
10-22-2007, 10:13
The only place I LOST money this year :-)

AT-HITMAN2005
10-22-2007, 16:33
i carried 5 dice and we would play yahtzee, making home made score cards from our journals. got the idea from another thru though so can't claim as my own. also i second what mountain squid said about carrying the extra-curricular stuff with you at the start, its just a waste of space. i didn't start carrying reading material until at least virginia. was just too tired or too much other stuff going on.

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2007, 19:21
Most thru-hikers are too cheap to play cards for money.

The most common card game I've seen on the Trail is hearts.

During the 2003 rains in June, I know of one game that went on for the better part of three days in Virginia.

Happily, I missed it.

Wonder
10-23-2007, 09:39
i carried 5 dice and we would play yahtzee, making home made score cards from our journals. got the idea from another thru though so can't claim as my own. also i second what mountain squid said about carrying the extra-curricular stuff with you at the start, its just a waste of space. i didn't start carrying reading material until at least virginia. was just too tired or too much other stuff going on.

I actually found a "keychain" game of Yatzee that I tok the parts out of. 5 mini dice...a micro score pad and little pencil. I always have that and my cardboard backgammon set. Weighs VERY little, and both have been well used.

Alligator
10-23-2007, 10:45
These cards (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/mini_playing_cards.html) are real light, and there are also some micro dice listed on the site too. I have those cards, but prefer the Hoyle mini decks myself. The mini cards I linked would be perfect for hold-em, but are less suited for games where cards are dealt and played. I also have a set of plastic chips, I think again Hoyle makes these. There are sets of 200 chips at CVS for just a couple dollars. I've carried the chips but prefer cribbage for two people. I usually carry cards when I do sections.