PDA

View Full Version : Food and Coffee video demos

Skidsteer
10-21-2007, 21:02
Hi all.

There's more to this video stuff than meets the eye let me tell you.

I set out to do a short, educational video of freezer bag cooking this weekend. I didn't cover half the stuff I wanted to and it's still too long! Anyway, I hope you enjoy and maybe even benefit from it.

The first video shows my basic procedure for freezer bag cooking (http://www.jumpcut.com/fullscreen?id=691D9FA6802011DCAF16000423CF037A&type=movie).

The second vid demonstrates a way to make 'real' coffee (http://www.jumpcut.com/fullscreen?id=9E59816E803211DC8B3E000423CF3686&type=movie) while hiking.

The goofy dude that's "really-nervous-but-trying-not-to-show-it" is me. :p

Phreak
10-21-2007, 21:08
Great job!

Roots
10-21-2007, 21:18
That was great! I've been interested in freezer bag cooking ever since I heard about it but wasn't quite sure how it worked. Now I know-Thanx!:)

Uncle Silly
10-21-2007, 23:32
Love the coffee video. I wish your video page had links to still photos of the equipment -- I'm especially curious about the thingy you used to hold the coffee filter. Can you post a photo here?

sarbar
10-22-2007, 01:17
Love it! And love your AGG tarp - mine is silver/black :)

Btw, I would love to post that up on the site!

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 01:29
I've done coffee like that. The only flaw is squeezing out the water from the filter - you should suck the used filter to get that last bit of coffee juice out.

sarbar
10-22-2007, 01:29
And Skid, I don't say this lightly: you did a very good job. So many videos on You Tube are awful. Very nice production!

Skidsteer
10-22-2007, 06:35
Love the coffee video. I wish your video page had links to still photos of the equipment -- I'm especially curious about the thingy you used to hold the coffee filter. Can you post a photo here?

Directions and photos are shown here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21381). I don't make them exactly like the thread describes anymore but it's close.

Love it! And love your AGG tarp - mine is silver/black :)

Btw, I would love to post that up on the site!

Sure. Be my guest.

J5man
10-22-2007, 10:22
Skids, thanks for posting. Great info and demo.

walkin' wally
10-22-2007, 10:46
In the freezer bag cooking video can you tell me what the containers you used to boil the water and to place the freezer bag in while you wait for the meal to cook? Is that covered on another thread or website?

Thanks

Uncle Silly
10-22-2007, 15:06
Thanks for the link to the other thread; I figured your coffee basket was something along those lines but it's nice to see the particulars. I agree with Sarbar, I've seen lots of worse instructional videos out there. Good job!

Smile
10-22-2007, 15:14
I'm interested in what kind of 'pot' that was too :)

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 15:19
Fosters can.

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 15:19
I mean Heiniken. My bad

Skidsteer
10-22-2007, 17:41
In the freezer bag cooking video can you tell me what the containers you used to boil the water and to place the freezer bag in while you wait for the meal to cook? Is that covered on another thread or website?

Thanks

The bottom container is a one quart polypropylene found at a thrift store for a quarter. It can serve not only as a freezer bag cozy but also a carrying container for the cook kit(if you use a beer can pot), water dipper from shallow sources, extra drinking cup, martini shaker, etc. If you prefer to carry a larger pot, you could still carry it as a cozy/coffee cup. Just fill it up with food(good container for crackers or other easily broken items)and throw it in your food bag.

The exact same container is used for cotton candy (http://www.jumpcut.com/fullscreen?id=2DA8D984225311DCB80A000423CF382E&type=image) and sold in many grocery stores). If you want to go reaally light, check out one quart containers(still polypropylene)sometimes found at 'Olive bars' in some upscale grocery stores. I'm experimenting with one right now.

The top filter basket container is an xs Ziploc bowl with a hole in the middle for the coffee to drip through. I also made channels in the bottom of it with a soldering iron to allow for a better flow.

I'm interested in what kind of 'pot' that was too :)

Sgt. Rock had it right. It's a modified Heineken pot (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21663).

Survivor Dave
10-22-2007, 18:04
Hey Skids,

Those videos were very informative. I think I might do something similar as far as cooking that way. I think while not in towns there are some very good recipes out there. I will check out the ones you mentioned.

I still have the cozy that Hikernutt made me. Its a 6"x8" envelope basically made of the insulation wrap they use for water heaters. It virtually has no weight and protects your hands.

Again, great job on the videos.

Survivor Dave

Huffy1
10-22-2007, 18:19
Good job on both counts. You didn't look too nervous and you were clear. Thanks

walkin' wally
10-22-2007, 21:18
[QUOTE=Skidsteer;431425]The bottom container is a one quart polypropylene found at a thrift store for a quarter. It can serve not only as a freezer bag cozy but also a carrying container for the cook kit(if you use a beer can pot), water dipper from shallow sources, extra drinking cup, martini shaker, etc. If you prefer to carry a larger pot, you could still carry it as a cozy/coffee cup. Just fill it up with food(good container for crackers or other easily broken items)and throw it in your food bag.

The exact same container is used for cotton candy (http://www.jumpcut.com/fullscreen?id=2DA8D984225311DCB80A000423CF382E&type=image) and sold in many grocery stores). If you want to go reaally light, check out one quart containers(still polypropylene)sometimes found at 'Olive bars' in some upscale grocery stores. I'm experimenting with one right now.

The top filter basket container is an xs Ziploc bowl with a hole in the middle for the coffee to drip through. I also made channels in the bottom of it with a soldering iron to allow for a better flow.

QUOTE]

Thanks Skidsteer.