PDA

View Full Version : camp roosevelt rd. (or something like it)

chknfngrs
11-19-2003, 19:19
howdy folks - just a quick question - about 5 years ago, I slept in my car on a dirt road just off of US211 somewhere between New Market and Luray, VA. I think I have found it's location again, but am not certain.

At the top of the ascent pf US211 from New Market, there is a National Forest Service HQ on the right. Either just before or just after there is a dirt road on the left. What is this road's name? I remember something of a sign saying Roosevelt Camp.

People were car camping everywhere. Was I dreaming, or was I in the George Washington National Forest? Any help would be appreciated.

sail13
11-21-2003, 01:16
In the same general area but on the east side of shenendoah is rapidan wildlife management area which is like you discribed, It's a great place to car camp. It is an island of Va. general use land in the middle of shenandoah park. A few miles past rapidan and back into shenandoah is Camp Hoover which I beleave is also conected to Roosevelt in some way. Along the dirt road there are signs for both camp hoover and the rapidan camp. Also If your travling east on 211 shenandoan HQ are on the left not right.

chknfngrs
11-21-2003, 12:42
closer to New Market on 211 there's another HQ of some sort, which is what I was thinking of, I think. Anywho, thanks!

Skyline
11-26-2003, 17:31
You're thinking of the New Market Gap Visitor Center on the right if you're eastbound (could that be EABO in AT-speak?) on US211. The road to the left is called Crisman Hollow Road, and that will take you near the first CCC camp in the nation, Camp Roosevelt. CR is now a small USFS campground, picnic area, RV dump station and a couple historic interpretations.

Along Crisman Hollow Road are quite a few places to pull in for car camping, as well as a number of trailheads. For awhile it also follows a stream.

Furlough
04-19-2004, 12:28
howdy folks - just a quick question - about 5 years ago, I slept in my car on a dirt road just off of US211 somewhere between New Market and Luray, VA. I think I have found it's location again, but am not certain.

At the top of the ascent pf US211 from New Market, there is a National Forest Service HQ on the right. Either just before or just after there is a dirt road on the left. What is this road's name? I remember something of a sign saying Roosevelt Camp.

People were car camping everywhere. Was I dreaming, or was I in the George Washington National Forest? Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like you were on Chrismon Hollow Fire Rd. This is in the National Forest. Many great hiking trails in this area to include the 72 mile loop Massanutten trail. There are signs in this area for Camp Roosevelt. PATC has very good maps for this area. Also along this fire road are many pull offs for camping, and trout fishing.

Harry