PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Camping in Georgia

GAHiker
10-22-2007, 13:02
All,

I am looking for a good spot to take the kids on an overnight camping trip in North Georgia. They are fairly young and need to limit the distance (2-3) miles each way and the terrain so I don't have to carry everything :) Any ideas on nice locations to go with some scenery, waterfalls, etc? I was thing about Three Forks area, but am open.

TIA

hacksaw
10-22-2007, 13:10
All,

I am looking for a good spot to take the kids on an overnight camping trip in North Georgia. They are fairly young and need to limit the distance (2-3) miles each way and the terrain so I don't have to carry everything :) Any ideas on nice locations to go with some scenery, waterfalls, etc? I was thing about Three Forks area, but am open.

TIA

Three forks is a great idea. You can camp by the falls and have a great time. I did this with my grandsons last year. It was great.

max patch
10-22-2007, 13:20
Do you have the Georgia Guidebook? There are a lot of places you can access the trail in Georgia and have a short walk to a destination.

My kids are young teens, and of all the places we've gone to in GA their favorite place to go is Hickory Flatts Cemetary. They pack a nerf football or baseball gloves and we all play for a while. You can either drive directly there, or hike a couple miles from Three Forks (easy) or a about 2.5 miles from Hightower Gap (a bit tougher as you have to climb Hawk Mtn). Long Creek Falls is between the cemetary and Three Forks; although there isn't a lot of volume at the falls currently.

Or park at either the Springer lot on USFS 42 or at Three Forks and do an easy hike to the new Stover Creek Shelter.

Dances with Mice
10-22-2007, 13:28
All,

TIA3 Forks to Long Creek Falls area is good, so is Raven Cliff Falls. Whitley Gap has a little bit of a climb at first, and again on the way back, but it's an easy hike. I'm not sure about the water supply at Whitley right now, tho.

FanaticFringer
10-22-2007, 15:09
Raven Cliffs Trail is a perfect place to go. Great scenery with many waterfalls.
Easy 2.5 miles in and 2.5 miles out. Many great spots to camp. Get there early this time of year on the weekend cause it is pretty popular.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_Cliff_Falls_(Georgia)

Ghosthiker
10-23-2007, 07:52
You could park at Three Forks, hike a mile up to the falls and camp there. You could park at the bottom of Springer, FS42. Hike to Three Forks, nice easy down hill, back will be slightly uphill but you'll be carrying less food and such. Camp at Three Forks by the road and do short hikes up to the falls from camp. Camping with scouts has shown me that they may be tired when they get to camp, but amazingly they find more energy pretty quickly. Also check out the suspension bridge over the Toccoa on the BMT. ANother possiblitiy is Fort Mountain. Camp at the pioneer sites and do day hikes to see the wall and such.

veteran
10-23-2007, 10:30
Check this Site (http://georgiatrails.com/trails/), lots of trails in north Georgia.

sloopjonboswell
10-23-2007, 17:25
the PMT is south of atlanta, but not too much furthur than driving to say, unicoi gap. waterfalls, easy terrain. if you start out from the warm springs end (the one with the radio tower), then you have a great 4 or 5 mile round trip hike to cascade falls. http://georgiatrails.com/trails/wolfdenloop.html

Waterbuffalo
10-29-2007, 16:45
Go up Indian Grave Road to Tray mtn road(tray Gap) A ton of places to make camp and then day hike from there

Manach
10-29-2007, 17:05
Another vote for Three Forks/Noontootla Creek. Camp sites are beside the road, in all my trips there (man I miss Georgia) I only ever saw one other couple camping, and there are a few easy miles of AT and BMT nearby. Long Creek Falls is such a pretty place.

Nightwalker
10-30-2007, 21:59
Check this Site (http://georgiatrails.com/trails/), lots of trails in north Georgia.

I love that site!

You could also park at FS 42 and go to Stover Creek and back. Easy on the kids as well.

Summit
11-19-2007, 10:04
I second Raven Cliffs! It's the first hike I took my then 5 year old son (now 24) on. It is a fantastic spot and beautiful hike. Be sure to visit Duke's Creek Falls on Richard Russell Scenic Hwy as well (a couple miles south of the Raven Cliffs trail head). ;)

Summit
11-24-2007, 22:51
Correction: It's been a few years since I was there. It's Dick's Creek Falls. Guess I live too close to Duke! :D :p