PDA

View Full Version : Is there an AT bird list?

Idealist
10-22-2007, 16:43
Is there a bird list for the Appalachian Trail, and if so, could someone please point me in its direction?

Also, is there a super light-weight pair of binoculars you recommend?

Our SOBO thru-hike begins June 20th, 2008, and we are studying up on the calls and identification markings for birds we may encounter since we will not be carrying a guide. We have not decided whether or not we are bringing binoculars (we are leaning towards the not), but I am interested in knowing what people suggest. Thanks for your assistance.

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2007, 17:40
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Is there a bird list for the Appalachian Trail, and if so, could someone please point me in its direction?
Also, is there a super light-weight pair of binoculars you recommend?
Our SOBO thru-hike begins June 20th, 2008, and we are studying up on the calls and identification markings for birds we may encounter since we will not be carrying a guide. We have not decided whether or not we are bringing binoculars (we are leaning towards the not), but I am interested in knowing what people suggest. Thanks for your assistance.

:welcome to WhiteBlaze, Idealist!
Southbounders will find the Maine and New Hanpshire woods chock full of breeding plumage and singing warblers and other birds, you'll be amazed!
I'm sure individual hikers have kept 2000 mile lists, but none of the personal lists would have all of the birds you might find. Here's one from the Blue Ridge that has most of the birds you might find all along the trail.
Almost every non-sea/non-shore bird native or migrant to the US East Coast can be found on the AT, so an Eastern field guide would aquaint you with what you might see.
When I'm birding on purpose on backpacking trips, I carry a 10 oz par of Brunton 8x25s, that cost $59. I have a $16 pair of 8x25 no-names that weigh about 8 oz I normally carry in a baggie on all trips, 'just in case'.
Have fun!

Alligator
10-22-2007, 17:52
I sawed a pair of cheapie 8X25 binoculars (Bushnell) in half and now have two monoculars:) . They were a Christmas present:eek:. I think each one weighs three ounces now.

mudhead
10-22-2007, 17:57
Peterson's = book.

I have 10x25 LL Bean Nikon. 11oz. OK optics, not great.

What I want: http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-spotting-scopes.html

Rain Man
10-22-2007, 18:04
"The Appalachian Trail - A Visitor's Companion" by Leonard M. Adkins has a chapter on birds of the AT. The author thru-hiked five times, I believe.

I got the book from http://www.alibris.com.

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
10-22-2007, 18:52
I have a pair of Brunton LiteTech 10x26 binoculars which I bought for the express purpose of taking along while backpacking. Their case fits on my sternum strap. I took them a few times but no more. I found that when I heard or saw a bird and wanted to use them, invariably my eyes were sweaty and I had trouble focusing. I don't think there was a single instance backpacking where I sucessfully identified a bird with the help of the glasses.

That's just me with my limitations and preferences. You're probably more knowledgable and experienced as birders so it may be worth your while (and weight).

Doing a SOBO starting June 20 means that every time you stop to scan for birds, you'll be attacked by black flies and mosquitos. Are you prepared?

Nightwalker
10-22-2007, 22:58
Is there a bird list for the Appalachian Trail, and if so, could someone please point me in its direction?

The appendix for the 2005 Companion has one, with the calls identified as well. PM me your email address, and I'll send it to you.

Idealist
10-23-2007, 06:28
Thank you all for your assistance. (And for the warning about the black flies/mosquitoes – it won’t be the first time we’ve wrestled those tiny rascals in an attempt for a life-lister!) I feel we have a more specific place to begin studying as opposed to our previous “birds of North America” list.

Also, thanks for the input about the binoculars. I am particularly delighted with the idea of the monocular.

mudhead, I appreciate your desire for a Zeiss. On our last birding trip, we were telling our group’s driver about our wimpy little scope. We said we reckoned that whatever you had there would always be a better scope out there, to which he modestly replied, “Not better than mine!” Then he whipped out his Zeiss Diascope 85. It was something pretty for sure.

rickb
10-23-2007, 06:59
I feel we have a more specific place to begin studying as opposed to our previous “birds of North America” list.Keep in mind that in the USA a number of the best bird book "standards" have an edition that is limitted to birds that are found East of the Mississippi river (more or less). Each of these has a list for EASTERN birds in the back, of course.

Most books also have maps right next to the bird's picture, so it would be relativley eacy to put an X through the shorebirds that won't come inland, those few that stay down in Florida, etc. With the exception of the shorebirds/seabirds you can spot most anything in an Eastern Bird Book along the AT.

We have some great bird books like "Stokes" and "Audubon" and "Petersons", but for hiking I like carry a "Golden Field Guides to Eastern Birds" (James Coe). http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1582380937/qid=1047404528/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-6229057-8105502?v=glance&s=booksIts not perfect and has a few omissions, but it is OK and much lighter than the better alternatives.

I suppose a monocular would work, but ....

Bon Voyage.

burger
10-23-2007, 09:45
When I carried bins on the AT, I used Zeiss Diafun 8x30s (or something like that) that weighted 16 oz. They were a bit heavier than some of the ultra-light bins, but the image quality was great. Whatever you get, I'd recommend something waterproof. Even if you keep your bins in your pack when it's raining, the humidity and temperature changes you'll experience are a recipe for getting condensation inside your binoculars.

As for whether or not to carry binoculars, if you want to see birds, bring them. Starting June 20th, you'll hear a million birds, but given that the forests tend to be pretty dense along the AT (especially up north), you'll see very few close enough to identify them with the naked eye.

If carrying the weight is an issue, you can probably mail your binoculars home by mid-August. Once the breeding season is over, the birds get very quiet, and there won't be many to see.

bigcranky
10-23-2007, 09:52
Dragonfly uses the Zeiss 8x20 compact binoculars while hiking. They are very small and fairly light (I can weigh them when I get home), and fit in a pouch on her hip belt. The optics are pretty good -- not as good as full-sized binocs, but not bad for compacts. I think they were in the $250 range.

We're pretty enthusiastic birders. That said, we rarely do any serious birding while hiking. It's just too frustrating with tiny binocs and no field guide. If we're going on a backpacking trip with the express intention of birding -- say, a May weekend in the Virginia mountains, when they are full of migrating warblers -- then we take field guides and full-size binocs. But on long distance trips, we usually can't justify the weight for something we'll use so seldom. I'm not sure how much longer the little Zeiss compacts will make the cut.

rickb
10-23-2007, 18:26
we are studying up on the calls and identification markings for birds we may encounter since we will not be carrying a guide.

Are there any birds that you are particularly eager to see on the AT?

Blissful
10-23-2007, 20:12
Just a side note - I must say the birds on the AT where fantastic to listen to. Main reason I shut off the MP3 the second week out. I'd rather listen to the bird songs instead. When I got to New England and the higher elevations and they were gone, I really missed them. Truly feathered friends. If anyone knows a web site that has bird calls youcan listen to, love to see / hear it so I know what birds they were.

But the loons in ME could be very loud. Esp when they get angry, like at Moxie Bald shelter.

Idealist
10-24-2007, 03:51
Are there any birds that you are particularly eager to see on the AT?

There are several birds particularly in MA & NH that would be life-listers for us if we see them. They include black-billed cuckoo, northern saw-whet owl, black-backed woodpecker, long-eared owl, gray jay, pine siskin and boreal chickadee.

And then there are some birds that I anticipate distracting us because they are so darn charming. The brilliant red of the scarlet tanager, the enchanting call of the loons, the flaming orange of a blackburnian warbler…Oh, I am excited to be getting back into the woods.

If anyone knows a web site that has bird calls youcan listen to, love to see / hear it so I know what birds they were.

We have several bird call CDs that we use to identify calls. We most often use Stokes. Using the suggestions from this thread, I have now used range maps to organize my bird audio files in AT playlist for our studying.

But there are several places to find bird calls on-line if you google “bird calls.” For example, you might try http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~tony/birds/ (http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~tony/birds/) .

woodsy
10-24-2007, 04:29
Idealist;432745]There are several birds particularly in MA & NH that would be life-listers for us if we see them. They include black-billed cuckoo, northern saw-whet owl, black-backed woodpecker, long-eared owl, gray jay, pine siskin and boreal chickadee.

And then there are some birds that I anticipate distracting us because they are so darn charming. The brilliant red of the scarlet tanager, the enchanting call of the loons, the flaming orange of a blackburnian warbler…Oh, I am excited to be getting back into the woods.

Yes of course, getting back into the woods:)
The lil Golden Crowned Kinglet is out/up there in the northeast too. Oh, Ruby Crowned Kinglet also.
Sounds like you'll be busy, that's quite a list of rarer sightings. Gray Jays are fairly common on parts of the northeast trail, steal your food if unattended.
Wow, you guys have done some traveling!

Hokie
10-24-2007, 05:36
I know binoculars are better, but there are several monoculars you might consider:

Zeiss 0.8 oz Miniquick 5X scope (Cabellas $120) - very nice optics - less than an ounce

Brunton Echo Pocket Scope Monocular 7X18 - 1.8 oz

Optics is one area I think you get what you pay for hence my preference for the Zeiss.

Good luck,
Hokie

Peaks
10-24-2007, 08:26
Bird species vary by location. The White Mountain National Forest has a list for their area, and the AMC has a list for each hut. So, probably other national forests, national parks, and game areas also have their own lists.

burger
10-24-2007, 09:22
There are several birds particularly in MA & NH that would be life-listers for us if we see them. They include black-billed cuckoo, northern saw-whet owl, black-backed woodpecker, long-eared owl, gray jay, pine siskin and boreal chickadee.

Starting southbound in June, I can almost guarantee you'll see gray jays, siskins, and the chickadee in Maine or New Hampshire. The cuckoo will be much harder--they may be around, but they're uncommon along the trail in my experience. As for the owls, I'd be shocked if you saw a long-eared owl anywhere on the trail--they're quiet and inconspicuous most of the time. Saw-whets may be around; I heard them in a couple of places in New Hampshire, if I recall correctly. Good luck...

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 10:21
I saw juncos right at the Katahdin tree line and red chested (forgot their real name) groesbeaks at Maine NH line.
Also saw a couple ivory billed woodpeckers. What a treat.:)

mudhead
10-24-2007, 10:31
Rose breasted?

So that's where my woodpeckers went...

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 10:33
Rose breasted?

So that's where my woodpeckers went...

Yes that's it. I don't have my RTP Field Guide with me, which by the way is where I saw the Ivory billed woodpeckers.:)

woodsy
10-24-2007, 10:36
I saw juncos right at the Katahdin tree line and red chested (forgot their real name) groesbeaks at Maine NH line.
Also saw a couple ivory billed woodpeckers. What a treat.:)
Don't pay any attention to Warraghiyagey and his Ivory Billed Woodpeckers,
he's one of Whiteblaze's jokers. He does know some of his birds though;)

mudhead
10-24-2007, 10:39
Busted again. Beats flogging a non-issue. Yo Doogie, learn to say you are 22.

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 10:42
Don't pay any attention to Warraghiyagey and his Ivory Billed Woodpeckers,
he's one of Whiteblaze's jokers. He does know some of his birds though;)

Woodsy's just jealous because I've seen so many of the 'queen mother' of bird sightings. Ha!:)

woodsy
10-24-2007, 10:55
Woodsy's just jealous because I've seen so many of the 'queen mother' of bird sightings. Ha!:)
Yup, that's it . Gotta tell ya though, i was some impressed with myself when i happened to be standing in the right spot at about 3800' ASL when a lil Golden Crowned Kinglet perched in a tree right next to me at eye level and bowed it's head for me to see that Golden Crown, haha:D

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 11:56
Yup, that's it . Gotta tell ya though, i was some impressed with myself when i happened to be standing in the right spot at about 3800' ASL when a lil Golden Crowned Kinglet perched in a tree right next to me at eye level and bowed it's head for me to see that Golden Crown, haha:D

OK, not on the trail but in adirondack foothills I've seen a scarlet tananger, indigo bunting, pine groesbeak, baltimore oriole and pieated woodpecker in the same week. Triple Ha! Oh, and we had three ponds that had blue heron nestings within a half mile of the house. Hmmmmph!

woodsy
10-24-2007, 14:57
OK, not on the trail but in adirondack foothills I've seen a scarlet tananger, indigo bunting, pine groesbeak, baltimore oriole and pieated woodpecker in the same week. Triple Ha! Oh, and we had three ponds that had blue heron nestings within a half mile of the house. Hmmmmph!
Heck, that ain't nothing:) Had a Scarlet Tananger hanging right here by the Maine wilds shack this summer, they like mature hardwoods ya know:Dand i like seeing them.
Barred Owls are rather popular along the trail amongst mature hardwoods too, hoo-hoo:)

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 15:33
Heck, that ain't nothing:) Had a Scarlet Tananger hanging right here by the Maine wilds shack this summer, they like mature hardwoods ya know:Dand i like seeing them.
Barred Owls are rather popular along the trail amongst mature hardwoods too, hoo-hoo:)

Hmmmmph. I had an Ivory billed woodpecker land on my pack.

woodsy
10-24-2007, 16:04
Hmmmmph. I had an Ivory billed woodpecker land on my pack.
Consider yourself very fortunate:

On February 11, 2004, kayaker Gene Sparling caught a glimpse of a large and majestic woodpecker in the Cache River National Wildlife Refuge of Arkansas. The encounter spurred an extensive scientific search for a species that many feared extinct. Additional sightings and a video from the search have shown that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has cheated extinction.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and numerous partners have launched an ambitious recovery program to bring the Ivory-bill – one of the world’s most endangered birds – back from the brink of extinction.

As you can see, not many have seen what you claim to have seen

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 16:09
Consider yourself very fortunate:

As you can see, not many have seen what you claim to have seen

Yeah, well unlike me, that guy probably made it up.:p :rolleyes:

woodsy
10-24-2007, 16:23
To think the discovorer of the supposed extinct Woodpecker was a kayaker, not a hiker, oh the horrors,wait, i do that too, can't be all bad.
I'm sure our birder friends from Paris will know know whats what in the field when they arrive and explore, they seem into it:cool:

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 16:25
To think the discover of the supposed extinct Woodpecker was a kayaker, not a hiker, oh the horrors,wait, i do that too, can't be all bad.
I'm sure our birder friends in Paris will know know whats what in the field when they arrive and explore, they seem into it:cool:

Ummm. . . huh??

mudhead
10-24-2007, 16:37
Cornell has been down there for a while. I have thought about going myself. Some fool with a camera will be in the right place, at the right time.

I don't care for swamp, however.

Saw a mallard doing a headstand today. Guess who I thought of?

rickb
10-24-2007, 19:25
they include black-billed cuckoo, northern saw-whet owl, black-backed woodpecker, long-eared owl, gray jay, pine siskin and boreal chickadee.The gray jay is slam dunk on the AT. The black-backed woodpecker and the boreal chicadee are definitely there, but won't come quick. I think the others will take a bit more work, not to mention binoculars. Have you ever seen a spruce grouse? If not, you will.

Not sure if its really cool to do, but I have had good luck calling owls (just screech and bard) into my back yard with an audio tape at dusk. I always thought that would be fun to do onthe AT but never tried it it there. Just remember to bring more than a photon LED if you are the type to investigate when you hear one outside your tent in the middle of the night :)

mudhead
10-24-2007, 19:47
Pucker up and suck on the back of your hand. Makes a high-pitched squeaking noise. Stuff appears, beady eyed heads snap around, wicked fun.
If you don't make eye contact they will watch you.

I would not try this after dark, or after pulling them into your yard.

emerald
10-24-2007, 21:20
Here's a special link (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/) for you, Wargy.

emerald
10-24-2007, 21:40
Here are 3 links for you, Idealist:

SOBO bird enthusiasts should not miss Hawk Mountain Sanctuary (http://www.hawkmountain.org) at milepoint 955.9 from Katahdin.

Check-list of North American Birds (http://www.aou.org/checklist/index.php3) is published by American Ornithologists' Union.

All About Birds (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds) is an online reference provided by Cornell Lab of Ornithology. When I last visited, a puffin photo and link appeared at the top.

Wise Old Owl
10-24-2007, 22:55
OUCH!!!!!!!!, Folks, as a fun guy who enjoy’s a lot of birding…. I cannot agree with the track of the posts. LEAVE the heavy binoculars at home. Enjoy the Journey! Come On… Most of the time along the green mile-there isn’t an ability to see the birds, only hear them. Peterson’s has an audio learning CD of calls I would recommend. Lightweight 8X?? isn’t worth it. You have to carry an ID book and binoculars – 3-4 pounds? If you are Hiking long distance – no way. I carry (rarely) 16 X 25 at a 1 ½ pounds. Great for ID and spotting lousy and for the trail. Why? Because I can see at a distance and 8’s don’t add anything. 16 is not recommended by anyone, it is just right for me. But sixteen can help clear things up at a distance. Just don’t do it….
Try something a lot better… Learn Indian traits, walk silent walk strong. Pick shoes that make little noise. Wear clothing that are green & brown. Walk the trail, just as I do, look up about twenty feet into the canopy when the oak nuts are ripe there, just there - - watch the Coopers Hawk or the Golden Eagle look down at me as I walked the green mile. Here the raptor is looking for the next meal in squirrel or chipmunk. I enjoy the trip – so should you go lightweight You have some good posts here. I love the diverstity of the information, I hope you can filter it.

Mark

mudhead
10-25-2007, 09:26
http://www.opticsplanet.net/alpen-sport-10x32-compact-monocular-119.html

So grab some junk to donate to some other person.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/barska-anchor-master-18x50-collapsible-spyscope-aa10612.html

Or play Mad Max.

You are correct, of course. Most people walk by more than they see. In a short haul situation, carry beer if you want. I'm not humping it.

MOWGLI
10-25-2007, 09:29
But the loons in ME could be very loud. Esp when they get angry, like at Moxie Bald shelter.

Blissful:

What makes you think the birds got "angry"? Just curious.

warraghiyagey
10-25-2007, 11:48
Here's a special link (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/) for you, Wargy.

Shades, great link, thanks. But Ssshhhhhh. I'm still trying to get Woodsy to think I've seen lots of them.:p
I think my next move is to catch a pileated and paint it's beak.

warraghiyagey
10-25-2007, 11:50
Blissful:

What makes you think the birds got "angry"? Just curious.

I've never seen an angry loon but I've seen some loony angry people.

emerald
10-25-2007, 13:00
I'm still trying to get Woodsy to think I've seen lots of them.:p

Now you can report having seen a few more.:rolleyes: Soon, you'll see them in your dreams for the 1st time. Before long, you'll be seeing them regularly, even where they don't exist.

Not long after, you'll get a special invitation to come live with people who see birds no one else has seen. It's a place where birds of a feather flock together. You'll like it.:D

woodsy
10-25-2007, 13:07
I've never seen an angry loon but I've seen some loony angry people.
I've heard they get pretty upset when they mistake a streamer fly for the real thing:eek: I usually reel in when trolling in the vicinity of a loon, wouldn't want to fool one and then have to try to release it!;)

warraghiyagey
10-25-2007, 13:09
. . . Before long, you'll be seeing them regularly, even where they don't exist.

Woodsy thinks I've already reached that plateau.

Not long after, you'll get a special invitation to come live with people who see birds no one else has seen. It's a place where birds of a feather flock together. You'll like it.:D

Yeah, that is why I like being on the Trail.:D For en interesting take on birds try out 'Return of the Bird People' by Ken Carey I believe. It's partof his four book series 'Starseed Transmissions.'

woodsy
10-25-2007, 13:13
warraghiyagey;434043]Woodsy thinks I've already reached that plateau.

You've not only reached the plateau, you're on the downward side of a pinnacle:p

warraghiyagey
10-25-2007, 13:14
You've not only reached the plateau, you're on the downward side of a pinnacle:p

Oww. . . my knees:banana

StarLyte
10-25-2007, 13:18
Bird watcher and lover here....

You might want to check out Birdsource.org (http://www.birdsource.org/) where people can report up to the minute sightings on any birds. It's a lot of fun and I frequently post sightings.

You will not see very many birds at high altitudes along the AT other than occasional eagle (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1116905942043969027yjunoE) and juncos (http://education.luther.edu/calendar/february/junco.jpg). Those juncos are everywhere, especially on the ground. At first I didn't know what they were :)

Keep in mind that a juvenile bald eagle (http://www.skolaiimages.com/stock/displayimage.php?album=51&pos=127) resembles the golden eagle.

On the above site, the "Great Backyard Bird Count" is what you'll want to view, noting that more bird watchers are reporting to this site more than any other.

Good luck - and I can't help you with the binoculars. I don't carry them on the Trail - no need to.

woodsy
10-25-2007, 13:46
You might want to check out Birdsource.org (http://www.birdsource.org/) where people can report up to the minute sightings on any birds.
Thanx for that link StarLyte, i may participate.

warraghiyagey
10-25-2007, 16:25
Thanx for that link StarLyte, i may participate.

Woodsy, should I go on those sights and mess with them on the I.B. Woodpecker thing? Could be fun.

woodsy
10-25-2007, 16:30
Woodsy, should I go on those sights and mess with them on the I.B. Woodpecker thing? Could be fun.
Someone has probably already tipped them off about your sightings:-?:datz

warraghiyagey
10-25-2007, 16:32
Someone has probably already tipped them off about your sightings:-?:datz

Crap. I mean poop. I mean sh. . . well, darn it.:bse

Idealist
10-25-2007, 17:06
You have some good posts here

I absolutely agree. Thank you everyone!

Using the suggestions in this thread, I have compiled an list of 237 (give or take a generous dozen) birds one is likely to encounter on the trail during a thru-hike.

To create it, I used bird lists from Baxter State Park, White Mountains National Forests, Shenandoah National Park, and Great Smokey Mountain National Park. I only included accidentals/occasional when they were found in two or more locations. I double-checked the range maps in my Peterson’s to make sure I did not miss one (only the tricolored heron and mute swan were added this way). Classification and nomenclature follow the American Ornithologist’s Union.

I considered adding Campephilus principalis since the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has apparently been so often spotted on the AT (at least by one individual), but I refrained….I did even not realize the AT passed through any floodplain habitat!:rolleyes: :) ;)

The list is not complete in that it does not include all possible migrants or accidentals blown in by tropical storms, but it suits our purposes.

As for the optics, we will probably be discussing this for the next few months. A few blocks away, there is a store with a beautiful selection of Zeiss and Swarovski if we feel rich, and a nice back shelf of no-names if we feel realistic! All your input is giving us a lot to think about. Again, thank you!

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2007, 17:47
Attached Files AT birds list.xls (47.0 KB, 1 views)

Very nice! May I suggest a bird song CD like Peterson's to help with the warblers, owls, veerys, etc that you'll 'ear' more often than see?

mudhead
10-25-2007, 18:00
I had to drive 4 hours to put an eyeball on a 5x monocular.

Was going that way... Something to be said for living in the city.

woodsy
10-25-2007, 18:56
Now you can report having seen a few more.:rolleyes: Soon, you'll see them in your dreams for the 1st time. Before long, you'll be seeing them regularly, even where they don't exist.

I'm not sure Wargy but SOG may be referring to the funny farm.

I considered adding Campephilus principalis since the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has apparently been so often spotted on the AT (at least by one individual), but I refrained….I did even not realize the AT passed through any floodplain habitat!:rolleyes: :) ;)
Hmm, would that individual be Wargy? He's kinda funny isn't he?:D

veteran
10-26-2007, 15:58
Here is a Bird list from the Chattahoochee -Oconee National Forest Georgia (http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/birds/Birds_of_the_C-O_Checklist.pdf)

warraghiyagey
10-26-2007, 16:07
I'm not sure Wargy but SOG may be referring to the funny farm.

Hmm, would that individual be Wargy? He's kinda funny isn't he?:D

I'll bet I'm having more fun pretending I've seen them than you guys are pretending I haven't. :-? :) OK, I gotta admit I don't even know what that meant.
Uh oh. What if Shades is right? Oh, well. Going for a stroll to see my favorite birds.

woodsy
10-26-2007, 16:59
Well Idealist has quite a long list of birds to look and listen for but i don't don't think it's an unrealistic list.
In the past year or so within a 100 miles on the AT in Maine i've seen, heard, and possibly I.D'ed about 50 different birds including waterfowl, so given 2000+ miles it's highly possible to see 200+ different birds/waterfowl if you take the time to stop, listen and observe. Wishing them great birding in the U.S. of A

emerald
10-26-2007, 19:03
Maybe some of us could help them locate birds as they hike. I wonder if they'd list what they've seen or heard in their journal as they check them off?

I'd be willing to put together a list for TGD and alert them as to where they might find some they ought to be able to see or hear but are have not yet come across.

Reading about this 2175-mile bird walk might be my idea of a good time.

emerald
10-26-2007, 21:01
I noticed both crossbills on Idealist's Potential AT Lifers list. Many years ago, I saw a pair of crossbills within sight of Goddard Shelter. Might pay to watch for crossbills near Glastenbury?

emerald
10-26-2007, 21:24
Wargy, quick, click here (http://www.carolinaparakeet.com/)!

warraghiyagey
10-27-2007, 00:15
Wargy, quick, click here (http://www.carolinaparakeet.com/)!

That's so interesting that you found that page. I've seen a few of them too recently.

Idealist
10-27-2007, 16:49
Maybe some of us could help them locate birds as they hike. I wonder if they'd list what they've seen or heard in their journal as they check them off

This thread has been so encouraging. We would be happy to have the extra help locating species (only if it is not too much trouble). I appreciate the tips already given and have noted them in our hiking guide.

We will definitely include the birds we encounter in our trail journal. It is neat to think someone other than our folks might be interested in hearing about them.

woodsy
10-27-2007, 18:56
This thread has been so encouraging. We would be happy to have the extra help locating species (only if it is not too much trouble). I appreciate the tips already given and have noted them in our hiking guide.

We will definitely include the birds we encounter in our trail journal. It is neat to think someone other than our folks might be interested in hearing about them.

The birds are no doubt the most abundant form of wildlife(i think you can call them wildlife?) out there on the AT.
Here in the north you may get an occaisional big game sighting like Moose , Deer or Bear if you're lucky enough.
I don't carry binos when hiking but my digital camera is in a case on my packs sternum strap and is easy and quick to get out. When i spot a bird of unusual or unknown species I stop, go to full optical zoom and attempt to snap a photo of the subject, having them sit still for a moment is difficult and miss many.
Later, the enlarged photo on the computer screen often gives the finer details of the bird helping with ID. This also saves me from carrying a field guide.
I'm not usually in a hurry when hiking so sometimes when i see a bird in the area i'll sit still for 5-10 minutes in hopes the subject bird will come in to me for a good photo.
Bird photography has got to be the toughest for me....with my limited patience.

mudhead
10-27-2007, 19:09
Red squirrels. You forgot the red squirrels.

Or do they just shadow me?

warraghiyagey
10-27-2007, 19:29
Hey Woodsy, I took this today.

http://www.carolinaparakeet.com/images/parakeet.JPG

It's a Carolina Parakeet. A lot of people think these are extinct too. It was flying around and then it landed and I took a picture of it. Yup.

warraghiyagey
10-27-2007, 19:31
Red squirrels. You forgot the red squirrels.

Or do they just shadow me?

If you go on the Survival Hike thread right now you're actually allowed to shoot 'em and eat 'em. Yup. A whole thread about eatin' squirrels.

shelterbuilder
10-27-2007, 19:50
If you go on the Survival Hike thread right now you're actually allowed to shoot 'em and eat 'em. Yup. A whole thread about eatin' squirrels.

Squirrel pot pie!! Especially delicious when eaten with ivory-bill handled silverware!!!:D

warraghiyagey
10-27-2007, 19:53
Squirrel pot pie!! Especially delicious when eaten with ivory-bill handled silverware!!!:D

Too laughing to respond thoughtfully.:p

woodsy
10-27-2007, 21:49
Hey Woodsy, I took this today.

http://www.carolinaparakeet.com/images/parakeet.JPG

It's a Carolina Parakeet. A lot of people think these are extinct too. It was flying around and then it landed and I took a picture of it. Yup.

Good job Wargy, keep up the good work . Be sure to keep posting your rare and unusual sightings.:jump

Smile
10-28-2007, 01:41
I liked that one :)

warraghiyagey
10-28-2007, 01:47
Good job Wargy, keep up the good work . Be sure to keep posting your rare and unusual sightings.:jump

Thanks man. I don't do it for the accolades but they're appreciated.:rolleyes:

woodsy
10-28-2007, 08:37
Thanks man. I don't do it for the accolades but they're appreciated.:rolleyes:
You might consider upgrading your camera optics. That last photo you posted looks as though it should be extinct:rolleyes:FWIW

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 10:27
You might consider upgrading your camera optics. That last photo you posted looks as though it should be extinct:rolleyes:FWIW

Maybe he took the picture with an old, old camera!:eek: :D

warraghiyagey
10-28-2007, 13:14

Sorry it took so long to respond Woodsy. I was out this morning getting shots of a bunch of Roseate Spoonbills on the shore here north of Boston.

Lone Wolf
10-28-2007, 13:15
Sorry it took so long to respond Woodsy. I was out this morning getting shots of a bunch of Roseate Spoonbills on the shore here north of Boston.

are they good eatin'?

warraghiyagey
10-28-2007, 13:17
are they good eatin'?

They're adequate. Not as tasty as a nice plump ivory billed woodpecker though.