PDA

View Full Version : planing

Jordan5
10-22-2007, 19:12
ok i was woundering how i wouls plan my hike when im ready for it. i plan on do it after high school but would love to start geting a ruff plan out to figer out how much it will cost and all that stuff.

Appalachian Tater
10-22-2007, 19:15
I would read and re-read all of the articles here:
http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content
plus this book:
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
and then start reading threads on this website if you want more information. Then if you need help ask questions.

stranger
10-30-2007, 21:11
Hike as much as you can, that's the best preparation for long distance hiking. And if you want to thru-hike, start saving money now, so many hikers hit the trail with a couple grand and a large amount of wishful thinking and inevitably run out of money. I've hiked with heaps of people over the years, and almost all of them were concerned about finances.

rafe
10-30-2007, 23:47
Good advice above. Save. Read. Hike.

Get good grades, graduate with honors. Maybe you'll get some $$ for a graduation gift. ;)

Kirby
11-03-2007, 15:01
Having parental support is a huge part of being able to thru hike when you are in your teens, even if you are over 18.

The articles section is very helpful.

Kirby

Blissful
11-03-2007, 20:52
Jordan 5, It's so great to hear that you want to do a hike!! You're right on time learning about it, too.

Reading all you can on the fourms and how other hikers are preparing is a good way. And as mentioned, the articles have great info.

I'm sure when Kirby gets back, he will have loads of info for you, too!

Best thing to do also, try to get out and hike when you can. Day hikes. Backpacking with some gear, even if it isn't quite the gear you will use yet. Get a feel for it all. I know Ohio is a little on the flat side, but maybe this summer you can go somewhere and get in a little mtn climbing.

88BlueGT
11-13-2007, 17:01
Do like the others said and just read, read, read. And than read some more. Real life experience is always better though (obviously). Speaking of finances, I have read that it only takes about 2-3 thousand for a thru hike but that all depends on the person. What you are going to do with your time in towns, equiptment, etc. etc. etc. etc. I am also planning a thru hike for 09. Start by making a list of things that you will need to buy. Figure out approx. prices for shipping costs (for resupplies), hostils, food, etc. There are many things to be thought and planned out. Just take it one step at a time.