PDA

View Full Version : looking for hiking Buddies around Charlotte, NC

corso k-9
10-22-2007, 19:19
Hey all,
I'm just getting back into it after a long absence... I would like to find some buddies to hike with that live around Charlotte, NC... Feel free to email me... chillypalm @ yahoo.com

skyhiker2
10-30-2007, 20:23
Asheville Nc,,,, Here ,,,, I'm Always Looking For People To Go Out With If I'm Close Enough Let Me Know..........

Marta
10-30-2007, 20:33
Me, too. Now that the oppresive heat is gone, it's time to get back out there. I'm thinking about some options for this weekend. The Smokies are appealing. As is the Mt. Rogers area.

hopefulhiker
10-30-2007, 20:42
I also might be interested in some weekend trips...

corso k-9
10-30-2007, 20:54
Well.... where do we start? I've talked with JimH, He is putting together a trip on the AT - Near Greyson Highlands over Veterans Day Weekend.... I'll hike anywhere though, almost anytime.... you guys and gals feel free to get a hold of me.

Marta
10-30-2007, 21:36
I'm looking at the GSMNP map. There's circular route: start at Big Creek, take the Big Creek Trail to the Swallow Fork Trail to the Pretty Hollow Trail. Camp at campsite #39 (no reservations required). Hike out on the Little Cataloochee Trail to the Long Bunk Trail to the Baxter Creek Trail. It looks like 12-13 miles Saturday and the same on Sunday, which is a decent hike to start late Sat. and finish in time to get home at a reasonable hour Sunday night.

Anyone interested in trying that this weekend?

Skidsteer
10-30-2007, 21:49
I'm looking at the GSMNP map. There's circular route: start at Big Creek, take the Big Creek Trail to the Swallow Fork Trail to the Pretty Hollow Trail. Camp at campsite #39 (no reservations required). Hike out on the Little Cataloochee Trail to the Long Bunk Trail to the Baxter Creek Trail. It looks like 12-13 miles Saturday and the same on Sunday, which is a decent hike to start late Sat. and finish in time to get home at a reasonable hour Sunday night.

Anyone interested in trying that this weekend?

You're gonna hike those boys lame. :D

rainmaker
10-30-2007, 22:47

They'll only notice on the way home when they try to get out of the car to get some supper.

Marta
10-31-2007, 09:33

It'll be good for them. ;)

My husband is feeling okay after our little 22-mile excursion at Standing Indian over the weekend. It's the furthest he's ever walked in that amount of time. He said he's looking to get out about once a month from now on. After being with that man since we were 18, having him wanting to go backpacking is an astonishing development.

Or maybe it's like drops of water wearing away stone...

Marta
10-31-2007, 09:34
They'll only notice on the way home when they try to get out of the car to get some supper.

True. Should I issue Vitamin I for the trip home?

But seriously, if I'm going to drive for three hours of so to go for a hike, I want to cover some ground.

Flush2wice
10-31-2007, 09:49

I think that day 2 hike is more like 16.5. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Sounds like fun.

Marta
10-31-2007, 09:55
I think that day 2 hike is more like 16.5. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Sounds like fun.

Very possible. I was just glancing at the map and adding up the mileages in my head. Mental math is not my greatest strength. There are lots of little extra trails, if time is hanging heavy.:D

Marta
11-12-2007, 00:24

Just got back from doing the loop with my husband. I was close to the mark with my first mileage estimate--13 yesterday and 15 today, plus a navigational misadventure that added another mile and a half. Plenty of elevation gain and loss, too, since we went up to and down from the Mt. Sterling Ridge Trail yesterday, and over the summit of Mt. Sterling today. Adding to that the drive back and forth from Charlotte and I'm beat. A lovely hike, though.

OutdoorGal
12-30-2007, 17:56
I'm up for a day hike - don't care where as long as the hike is longer than the drive to get there.

WalkingStick75
12-30-2007, 19:12
** sob ** Really jelous, too far to drive. In a few years I hope (will) relocate, thinking of SW Virginia.

Marta
12-30-2007, 20:16
There's a new backpackers' group in Charlotte:

http://backpackers.meetup.com/152/

There will be a get-to-know-each-other and planning meeting at Moe's at Northlake Mall on Jan. 6th.

sansancc
12-30-2007, 20:28
I'm in TN about 15 mins from GSMNP. I am also looking for hiking partner(s). All my family and friends are too lazy or scared. If anyone wants to huck up let me know.

rainmaker
12-31-2007, 00:02
There's a new backpackers' group in Charlotte:

http://backpackers.meetup.com/152/

There will be a get-to-know-each-other and planning meeting at Moe's at Northlake Mall on Jan. 6th.

Where in the dickens is Northlake mall?

Marta
12-31-2007, 06:27

It's that big, new mall up on Harris Blvd. I haven't been there, but I googled it yesterday.:D

wrightsphoto
12-31-2007, 12:30
I am doing a 8 milie day hike in the GSMNP on Wednesday January 2, 2008 if anyone is interested...
Below is the info about the hike....
Should be an interesting hike. I think the weather is going to be wonderful!!
PM me if you think you might want to go along.
I'm also interested in the new group in Charlotte but I have already planned a hike in Linville Gorge that same day. Anyone interested in that can also go along.
www.linvillegorge.net (http://www.linvillegorge.net)

Below is the info on the Hike on Wednesday 1/2/08...........

Ramsey Cascades

Ramsay Cascades trail trail climbs steadily along the Ramsay Prong, through one of the largest pockets of virgin forest in the Smokies, eventually emerging at the base of the 90-foot Ramsay Cascades. This is a 4-mile, moderate hike starting at 2,100 feet elevation and ending at 4,200 feet.

The Great Smoky Mountain National Park is chalked full of natural splendor. Some parts of this park are well known and seen, such as Clingman's Dome and Newfoundland Gap. Other parts get lessor attention, and still some others are rarely visited. The Ramsey Cascades are one of the lessor known and visited areas of the park, but they still get a fair amount of visits. So, if you have not visited the Greenbriar area of the park or Ramsey's Cascade get prepared for a treat.

The rewards are great on this 8-mile round-trip hike in the Greenbrier section of the Park. The diligent hiker not only gets to enjoy the Ramsay Cascade falls--arguably the best waterfall in the Smokies-- but also can view stands of old-growth trees which never suffered from the logger's saw or the settler's ax.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1438/861761242_49edab5d19.jpg

You have only to take this hike once to understand why it's one of the most popular. The falls are ample reward not only for the hiker, but the artist and photographer as well. The trail starts out with a slight upgrade in the beginning, then becomes more challenging as you near the cascades. The latter portion of the trail is where you will find the old growth trees--some of which measure in record proportions. The round-trip is approximately 8 miles and can take a little over four hours, depending on whether you take children.

Directions to trailhead: From Gatlinburg, drive east along US 321 (stop-light #3 in Gatlinburg) for approximately 6 miles. Turn right on Greenbrier Road and travel 3.1 miles along the Little Pigeon River to Greenbrier Cove. Turn left at Ramsay Prong Road and travel 1.5 miles to the parking area. The trail begins at the back of the parking area.

Your hike will start on the south side of the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon River on the Ramsay Cascade Trail. You will cross the prong on a very long footbridge, and make your way past Ramsay Branch, which flows from Greenbrier Pinnacle on your left. At mile 1.5, the trail comes to a turnaround. The Greenbrier Pinnacle Trail turns off to the left. The Ramsay Cascade Trail continues forward and your climb becomes more steep.

Beside the Ramsay Prong is a primitive stand of chestnut oaks, poplars, black cherries, hemlocks, and yellow birch that forms a Ramsay Cascades by Vern Hippenstealhigh canopy over the trail. Some of the largest chestnut oaks in the Smokies are found along this lower section of the trail. At higher elevations the black cherries and poplars grow to near-record sizes.

Shortly after the first crossing, the trail passes through a stand of cucumber trees. These trees are particularly enjoyable in the spring when they are sporting their bright, yellow blossoms. At the 2-mile point, before the trail crosses back to the Pinnacle Lead side of the creek, the undergrowth falls away, leaving the trail flanked by a grove of tall buckeyes, hemlocks, red maples, poplars, and tall black cherry trees, from which the section gets its name--the Cherry Orchard.

A winding passageway through huge boulders identifies the approach to Ramsay Cascades--arguably the most spectacular waterfall in the Park. Here, two streams converge to tumble nearly 100 feet over the eight stairstep ledges. It's a marvelous place to spread out a lunch or set up the tripod and camera, or simply relax and recover from the trail. As you can see from my picture below, the water levels were quite low on my last visit due to recent drought conditions, but let me assure you that the beauty of this area kept the attention of my wife and myself the whole trip through.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1276/860902075_dce7cc9de9_m.jpg

The graded trail ends at the cascades, but more reward waits for the intrepid hiker, for approximately one-half mile above Ramsay Cascade--if you make your way through dense rhododendron--the trail approaches the creek at a memorable location known as Drinkwater Pool. Drinkwater Pool is the largest of a succession of basins on the Ramsay Prong, where the water collects in pools before continuing on to charm the visitors at the cascades. Drinkwater Pool is surrounded by ledges covered with overhanging rhododendron above which towers a stand of virgin birch. We stood in this area and imagined being the first to discover the sight. We are truly blessed to be able to enjoy such as this!

Don't quit yet! About a half mile above Drinkwater Pool is a second cascade, which is higher and nearly as enjoyable as Ramsay Cascades. On the face of a two-hundred-foot cliff are more than a dozen small, wispy waterfalls. They catch the eye and hold it, for these falls are not aligned one after the other. Each fall has a separate ledge where the water pools before falling to the next.

And, if you are interested, the Appalachian Trail waits above these falls--should you want to continue another 1.5 miles.

for more info see http://www.imagesbuilder.com/gsmnp/ramseycascades.html

Roots
12-31-2007, 12:35
There is suppose to be a big snow coming in starting tonight for the NC/TN border counties. Could make for some fun in the GSMNP!:)

jimh
01-01-2008, 16:58

Exit 18, I-77 Charlotte.

wrightsphoto
01-01-2008, 19:35
There is suppose to be a big snow coming in starting tonight for the NC/TN border counties. Could make for some fun in the GSMNP!:)

I know, I just wonder if I will be able to make it to the trailhead?
I might wait until Thursday to go.....

Larry

jimtanker
01-02-2008, 12:50
I live all the way over in Fayetteville but I would definately be interrested in some hikes over there. After May I will be available to do some walking.

bswilarmy
02-01-2008, 00:52
hey buddies!!! i am in Columbia, SC and would love to hike in the charlotte area. i have friends in burnsville, NC if i need to stop there. i am dying to get into the woods, havent had a good hike since my best hiking buddy and i got divorced. i am active army so i need lead time to plan. let me know whats up.