PDA

View Full Version : Too late to plan a 08 NOBO?

bajabackpacker
10-22-2007, 23:15
Hey guys and girls,

I'm new to whiteblaze, I was told about this site a few days ago from a friend at work after I told her about my thoughts of thru-hiking. It seems like there is a ton of preparation that goes into it and I'm still trying to learn everything that is needed and I'm not even sure if I'd be to get things together by the time spring rolls around. Right now, my biggest concern is finding a partner to do the whole trail with. None of my friends are really that into backpacking or they have commitments with finishing up college. I'm kind of at a turning point in my life (as are most first time thru-hikers from what I've read), I'm taking a year off of school and I feel like if I don't do a thru-hike this spring then it might not be able to happen.

I'm kind of just looking for some encouragement that I'm not cutting things too close and perhaps some direction in regards to;
1. Finding a partner to do thru-hike with me
2. Designing a training regime to put me in the best shape for the trail
3. Making a gear list
4. Figuring out proper nutrition and mail drops or whatever system could work best.
5. Tying up the loose ends

I'll try to check in here for replies and encourage any help via PMs as well.

Thanks for your time and help,
Chris

rafe
10-22-2007, 23:38
Item #5 may be the most difficult. The short answer to your question is, No. There are plenty of resources, in book form and on the web to help you plan. In regards to item #1, don't worry about it. If you need or want a partner, you'll find one on the trail. It hardly ever happens in advance (unless the partner happens to be a spouse or relative or very close friend.)

Start at the ATC website (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) and go from there.

Appalachian Tater
:welcomeAbsolutely it's not too late. I didn't even make a final decision until sometime after Thanksgiving and then changed my mind a couple of times. Didn't start getting equiptment until after the new year started.

You don't need to find a partner, you'll find other hikers to hike with on the trail. Tons of people start during March and April. Read the articles on the left-hand side of the page here: http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content and also the guide here: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Start with one of the sample gear lists you'll find so you don't have to start making one from scratch. Try to keep everything light.

You probably don't need mail drops or not many anyway.

Everything else you can learn by reading the various forums on this website and then asking questions.

weary
Hey guys and girls,

I'm new to whiteblaze, I was told about this site a few days ago from a friend at work after I told her about my thoughts of thru-hiking. It seems like there is a ton of preparation that goes into it and I'm still trying to learn everything that is needed and I'm not even sure if I'd be to get things together by the time spring rolls around. Right now, my biggest concern is finding a partner to do the whole trail with. None of my friends are really that into backpacking or they have commitments with finishing up college. I'm kind of at a turning point in my life (as are most first time thru-hikers from what I've read), I'm taking a year off of school and I feel like if I don't do a thru-hike this spring then it might not be able to happen.

I'm kind of just looking for some encouragement that I'm not cutting things too close and perhaps some direction in regards to;
1. Finding a partner to do thru-hike with me
2. Designing a training regime to put me in the best shape for the trail
3. Making a gear list
4. Figuring out proper nutrition and mail drops or whatever system could work best.
5. Tying up the loose ends

I'll try to check in here for replies and encourage any help via PMs as well.

Thanks for your time and help,
Chris
Here's some basics as a starter.

You have plenty of time. If you lack hiking experience I wouldn't start until at least late March, early April, when the weather is less critical. The spring flowers are spectacular in the south starting around April 15 and you will have six months before camping in Baxter Park ends..

Join ATC and get their tips for hikers guide. I think it's free. Read the "articles" section of White Blaze for beginners tips.

Don't worry about a companion. There will be scores of people on the trail and most people fall in with a congenial group, or a series of congenial groups.

For training walk, walk, walk, especially on rough wooded trails with a lot of ups and downs, and with a 40 pound pack.

Mail drops are not necessary.

Because of weight considerations, your basic meals will be dry stuff: oatmeal, rice, pasta .... all available at stores along the trail.

Buy the 2008 Companion, a thru-hiking guide. Buy the maps and guide books from ATC when they go on sale late next month. They will help you become familiar with the route north.

Do as many overnight and weekend hikes as possible as you assemble your gear.

Remember, backpacking isn't rocket science. There are dozens of alternative items of gear and ways to hike -- none of which is necessarily better than the others.

Weary

rafe
10-22-2007, 23:40
PS: when I said "No," I meant: No, it's NOT too late...

Appalachian Tater
10-22-2007, 23:44
Remember, backpacking isn't rocket science.

It is if you have a jetboil! Otherwise it's just a long walk up and down mountains.

bajabackpacker
10-22-2007, 23:56
Thanks for the encouragement, all of these replies so early, I'm excited to be a part of this community.

I have plenty of backpacking experience. I made it to life rank as a Boy Scout, did a semester in Baja with NOLS where I did something like 150 miles in 25 days with a 60-100lb pack (depending on where we were at with rations and if we had a dry camp). I've even been out on the Applacian Trail as a backpacking instructor for a little bit before I got sick with giardia (I think I may have forgot to flush the threads on a Nalgene)

Right now, budget isn't really that much of a limit because I work at an outdoor gear store (similar to an REI or EMS) and can get a pretty good discount on things. However, before I get into gear I'll poke around the other forum catergories and look at gear lists a little more.

Thanks for the encouragement given so far, you guys are great

Appalachian Tater
10-23-2007, 00:03
Don't carry 60 pounds, that's nuts, try to get your pack weight well below that, like half of that at least if not a quarter. Don't buy all that stuff you've been selling to your customers. No metal scout canteens or giant pocketknives or cast iron dutch ovens and such!

EWS
10-23-2007, 00:18
It's just a hiking trail that goes through resupply points every couple of days. You have the experience, so get your stuff together, show up and start walking, the details will work themselves out as you go.

BTW: 60 pounds is probably 2/3rds more base weight than you need for the AT. Even if you do decide to start out with 60lbs, you can always get rid of junk and replace stuff along the way.

bajabackpacker
10-23-2007, 00:30
Hah. I was actually looking to go somewhere around 40-50 (probably heavier unless I can find someone to split a few pieces of group gear). The store I work for is actually pretty high end so we don't even carry metal scout canteens, giant pocketknives or cast iron dutch ovens.

I was thinking of carrying stuff like;
Buzz off Bandana
Windstopper Hat with ear flaps
some light stretch gloves
capilene 2 1/4 zip crew
capilene 3 long sleeve
capilene 3 bottom
standard wicking athletic shorts
OR goretex gaiters (for trowel runs and light rain protection)
3-4 pairs of bridgedale socks (not sure of weight)
not sure of boots either, I prefer a mid or high boot but trail runners seem pretty popular and they say 1lb off your foot is like 5lbs off of your back and I wont be carrying a 60-100lb pack.
1 pair of crocs for camp airout
Then I get into non-clothing items;

whisperlite international w/fuel bottle
msr titan cookset
10 liter msr drom
1 liter nalgene or stanley thermos (I hear nalgenes can make you impotent)
leki poles (leki rep is coming into the store next week)
msr miox water treatment and maybe a few iodine pills as backup
leatherman wave (I know it's pretty big but I really enjoyed and used all of its features when I was backpacking in mexico)
oh and last but not least... my beautiful MSR hubba hubba

then I have grop and 5 days food?

I plan on looking up the specs for everything and putting it into an excel spreadsheet to see my weight but I imagine I'm looking at about 45-50 lbs right there unless I find a partner to share some weight with.

Appalachian Tater
10-23-2007, 01:30
If you want a leatherman get the little tiny one. The big one is too heavy. What did you use on it?
Nalgenes are too heavy. Use Platypuses or Gatorade bottles. Thermoses are too heavy.
You don't need a cookset, just a pot and lid.
Food amount varies, read the re-supply article.

That sounds more like a 20 pound pack base weight if you're careful with your shelter (tarp or tarptent) pad (ultralight) sleeping bag (800 down fill) and pack.

How are you going to carry 10 liters of water and what for? You going to carry the water to take a bath? That's a lot of water at a kilo a liter. Like 22 pounds just for water??

If you want to prove how tough you are hike 40 miles a day but don't carry a lot of weight.

rafe
10-23-2007, 09:05
Baja, try to get your pack base weight down to 20 lbs or less. 16-18 lbs would be even better. I'm not saying you can't hike the AT with a heavier pack (it's certainly been done, many times over) but there are many, many advantages to a lighter pack.

wrongway_08
10-23-2007, 09:40
Here is my list, if you look under class of 2008, you will see how much I have changed it, think before you buy! I bought a lot of gear and then decided I wanted to replace certain items.... cost me a lot of money! I am still going to be leaving behind some items and others like the med kit will be cut in half - a lot of the crap I dont need.
Figure on a pack of around 3,000 - 3,500 in size, this will prevent you from taking a lot of extra junk. Even with a pack the size of my Jam 2, I have room left over!
Have fun with this, take your time, use the search feature to look up old post before you ask a question - I have found that many times the old post answer my questions.

- Pack, Go-Lite Jam 2, - 1 lb 5.20 oz
- Platypus 3 liter drink bladder - 3.75 oz
- Sleeping Bag/stuff sack, Mont-Bell, 40 degree 800 fill - 1 lb 2.85 oz
- Sleeping Pad/stuff sack, Big Anges, inflate-insulated, modified (see post under gear talk) - 12.20 oz
- Tent, Contrail tarp tent - 1 lb 8.90 oz
- Stove/pot/fuel Boil.(fuel,spoon,fork,lighter also) - 1 lb 5.75 oz total
- Water Filter, Katadyn Hiker Pro - 12.70 oz
- Leki Poles - 1 lb 4.80 oz
- light, Petzl Tikka plus - 2.70 oz
- Bear Bag, 20 feet string (not for just bear bag) - 2.70 oz
- Trail runners with gel insoles - 1 lbs 8.8 oz

* Clothes: - 5 lb 12.20 oz total
.- Smart Wool Merino, Long top & bottom - 12.50 oz
.- Under Armour, under wear (2) - 5.90 oz
.- REI, pants/short combo - 13.15 oz
.- REI, Light Rain Pants - 9.75 oz
.- REI, Light Rain Jacket - 14.80 oz
.- Exoffico long sleeve roll up shirt - 7.90 oz
.- Under Armour T-shirts (2) - 10.10 oz
.- Wool socks (3)and liner socks (2) - 13.95 oz
.- Clothes stuff sack, water proof, sleeping bag holder also - 4.05 oz

* Medical pack: - 5.55 oz
- Band-aids, 8 real small (to make stiches if needed) 2 large
- cutters
- 6 small eye wash tubes
- Small size Campho-Phenigue Antiseptic
- 25 Q-Tips
- 3 needles
- Tweezers
- 4 Alcohol wipes
- small mirror

*Health pack: - 9.80 oz
- Suntan lotion
- Tooth Paste
- Tooth Brush
- small soap
- body wipes

Gear Total - 18 lb 13 oz
Pack total - 15 lb 2.25 oz (total gear weight and pack, minus the clothes/boots I will be wearing and the poles)

WINTER GEAR: Should add 2lbs 10oz to my pack weight - if I go with the brands I am thinking about. Then the 14oz for the boot weight.
- Down, Down Top & Bottom
- Head cover
- Gloves
- 20 Degree Bag
- Boots 14oz

Water weight would be
3 liter, 100 oz = 6 lb 4 oz
2 liter, 70 oz = 4 lb 6 oz
1 liter, 34 oz = 2 lb 2 oz
Hopefully will not have to carry 6 lbs of water while hiking but its nice to have the ability just in case. Water is one of the few items I dont mind having too much of, just in case.

mountain squid
10-23-2007, 09:48
I'll concur with everyone else - it is not too late to plan for a '08 hike. I'll also echo everyone's suggestions to go as light as possible (40-50 pounds is heavy. With that much you will likely mail alot home from Neels Gap https://01ef580.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=COMPANY). Although you have backpacking experience, don't assume that your previous experiences will carry over to a Long Distance Trek. Long Distance Hiking is very different from weekenders or even week-long trips.

As your gear accumulates keep an eye on the smaller things. Ounces add up to pounds very quickly.

Be careful about 'sharing' gear with someone. You might end up carrying that 'shared' gear, if, for some reason, that someone gets off the trail or you get separated on the trail.

Continue to scour the archives here for helpful suggestions.

Good Luck and Have Fun with the planning...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Marta
10-23-2007, 10:18
Stop advising him to lighten his pack weight, y'all. He's 22. In horse racing, it's called handicapping.

CoyoteWhips
10-23-2007, 10:28
If you've got your gear packed, a guide book, and lots of headroom on the credit card, all you would need is a ride to the trailhead.

If you're not carrying 20 pounds of apples, 50 pounds seems like a lot.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 10:36
Looks like you can do it. Hell, go for it.

There are things you can change in your pack (I wouldn't want a 10 liter waterbag or that stove - 10 liters of water is something like 35 pounds!) but you can go more into that as you prep or sort it out on the trail.

mountain squid
10-23-2007, 10:36
Some thoughts on your list, wrongway_08:

you'll definitely need that 20F bag in Mar
need 50’ of rope (20’ will barely make it over a branch)
do you have a jacket other than the rain jacket? fleece?
have you considered Aqua Mira instead of a water filter?
what about camp footwear?
bandanas/buffs?
hand sanitizer?
maps/Companion?
whistle?
camera/cell phone/mp3 player (everyone seems to carry some sort of electronic device?!?!)
pen/pencil/paper?
ear plugs for noisy shelter mates?
duct tape?
tp?
consider a small Swiss Army Knife with tweezers/scissors.

Good call on the suntan lotion...there aren't any leaves on the trees in Mar...

Don’t forget ID/atm/credit cards and important phone #s.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Overpass
10-23-2007, 11:42
(for trowel runs

What's a trowel run??

whisperlite international w/fuel bottle
msr titan cookset
10 liter msr drom
1 liter nalgene or stanley thermos (I hear nalgenes can make you impotent)[/

Dump all of that. Seriously. Nobody takes that heavy shiat anymore. Make a beer-can alcohol stove, get the K-mart grease pot, get a 2 or 3 liter (max) platy then grab a 20-oz soda on the way to Springer, chug it and keep the bottle.

leatherman wave (I know it's pretty big
You mean this thing? That weighs a half pound???
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/wave/default.asp
Seriously, all you need is a very small knife to cut cheese and maybe twine with. The smallest of the Swiss Army knives are a popular choice.

then I have grop and 5 days food?
It's only 30 miles to Neel's Gap from Springer, most ppl easily make that in 3 days (2 nights). If you drop a box of food off at Neels before you start, you can resupply there out of that and have them shuttle your box up to Hiawasse where you'll be in another 3 days.

Most ppl don't really eat all that much the first few days, a combination of adrenaline and exhaustion tends to dampen the appetite. Take 2 1/2 days worth of lightweight food, you'll be fine. Plus (and of course don't count on this), but everyone brings way too much food and you won't believe the stuff people are giving away the first few days. I met a couple that (no kidding) had at least 25 lbs of food at Hawk Mtn Shelter (the first one most ppl stay in, only 7.5 miles from Springer). They'd been there for 3 days, too exhausted to go any farther with their 50-60 lbs packs and were giving away food right and left.

I'm looking at about 45-50 lbs right there

IMO, you're looking at giving up at Neels if your pack's gonna weigh that much. Lighten up to sub-25 lbs and you'll have a great trip.

bajabackpacker
10-23-2007, 12:14
Yeah, sorry about the confusion and thanks for the wonderful advice.

I meant like 45-50 lbs with food and water but that was just a rough estimate. I plan on putting everything into an excel spreadsheet with weight so I know what I'm looking at. As far as the 10 liter drom, it wasnt going to be full, I'm used to carrying 5 liters of water on me but it seems like you guys like to stop more often to rest. I was going to use the drom with the hydration kit addition (hose and bite valve, etc) instead of camelbak/plat and I happen to have a 10 liter. It does seem like weight is of the utmost importance and I'll have to take a look at my list and try to shave down the ounces with all of your awesome ideas. I'll try to get a more developed gear list together in the next few days. Should I keep posting it here or perhaps start a new thread in a different sub forum?

wrongway_08
10-23-2007, 12:25
MOUNTAIN SQUID,
I have a Mont-Bell 15 degree bag, weight is included in my winter weight total.

No fleece, too bulky for me, I have the thin Smart wool top/bottom and also bought the MB light weight down jacket/pants. Using this layer system lets me control temp better and cuts down on season specific items.

I still have a few things too add and toss from the list, nthing major so my base weight will stay the same. Thanks for looking out, having different views on the list always helps out.

BAJABACKPACKER,
Look at every item you bring, can it be used to get rid of another item?

Will it only be used for a small portion of the trail, if so its most likely not needed.

For every item you leave behind there is less stress on your body, less to worry about loosing, less to clean, less to repack every day and the less to worry about wearing out or breaking.

dessertrat
10-23-2007, 12:46
I would say that with diligence, you could plan this thing in a few weeks, and quite well. Not at all too late to start planning and leave well prepared. (In good shape is another question, but you can always get fit on the trail, just take it slow).

Smile
10-23-2007, 12:50
ARe you carrying an MSR Hubba Hubba, or just a Hubba? Definate weight difference.

I sure hope you have a blast getting ready, it's not too late that's for sure! I hope you have an awesome hike out there. :)

Overpass
10-23-2007, 12:55
I would say that with diligence, you could plan this thing in a few weeks, and quite well. Not at all too late to start planning and leave well prepared. (In good shape is another question, but you can always get fit on the trail, just take it slow).

Heck the lucky little dude works at an outfitter, plus he apparently has plenty of backpacking experience. He could be ready in a weekend.:D

sylvan
10-23-2007, 13:58
As a word of encouragement...

I was working at an outfitter the year after my first thru-hike and a fellow came in (this was mid March) and said he wanted to start planning for an AT thru-hike. I started helping him plan his gear list and giving him a few pointers on planning, etc. I wasn't expecting him to buy much or anything that day, as most of my previous thru-hiker-hopefulls had taken weeks or months to make decisions on backpacking gear. However, toward the end of his time in my shop, I found out that he was planning on leaving in TWO DAYS to hike the AT.

He hadn't done any preparation at all.

If there was ever a person doomed to failure due to lack of preparation, it was him. The cool thing is that I went to Traildays in Damascus, VA, that year, and I met him there. He finished his thru-hike without event.

A friend of mine told me once: Everyone does the same amount of planning for things in life. Some people do it ahead of time, others do it as life happens. Having everything worked out ahead of time isn't a prerequisite to hiking the AT. Having the optimum-lightest-techiest gear list isn't goint to make or break you. Even if you were leaving tomorrow, the ability to be flexible and a desire to hike the trail are really all you need.

Newb
10-23-2007, 15:17
Once Again I have to refer everyone to the Tarzan hiking list:

Required Items:
Loin Cloth
Knife

Optional items:
Chimpanzee
English Socialite named Jane

Overpass
10-23-2007, 22:35
Well said, Sylvan. :)

Overpass
10-24-2007, 10:23
Still wondering what a "trowel run" is...and why you'd need gaiters for one.:-?

Cookerhiker
10-24-2007, 10:52
Re. conditioning, one specific suggestion: Since you live in Westchester, head on over to Harriman Park. With your full pack, hike up Bear Mountain from the Inn, hike down the other side and hike up West Mountain. Alternatively, start at Rt. 17 and hike south towards Wildcat Shelter and Greenwood Lake - about 4 short but steep ascents & descents. If you do this starting 6 weeks before commencing your thruhike, you'll hit the ground running.

Doctari
10-24-2007, 12:21
I agree with everyone else, it isn't too late to plan a thru. My first section hike was "Planned" about 3 weeks before I left, was on the trail 8 days without any serious incidents. As to gear, by the time you have been on the trail a week, you will know what works & what don''t. Be prepared to change gear, sometimes VERY RADICAL changes. If you feel the need, carry the 10 L Drom, but also be prepared to send it home @ the first stop. In fact, be prepared to change ALL of your gear, , or not. Mail drops are discussed at length several places here aat WB, read & decide for yourself. If you do or do not go with maildrops, be prepared to change.

Be prepared to change! Hike some more & be prepared to change again. Repete to the end of the trail.

And the most important advice anywhere: HAVE FUN!!!

watchingtrainsgoby
10-28-2007, 06:05
Ive been wondering whether to bother with the guide books or not. Thats a lot of extra $$$ that I cant really afford. I was thinking that the companion and data book would be enough. Really all that you have to do is keep track of where you are and follow the blazes as far as navagation is concerned. For me that extra money, few less mail drops and less wieght is worth it. good idea? bad idea?

Smile
10-28-2007, 08:35
Lots of people hike following the white blazes with no guidebook :)

rafe
10-28-2007, 08:47
IMO, the guidebook (ALDHA, or WF's version) is more for town services than the trail itself. You should have one or the other. Those fat guides that come with the ATC map set -- very few thru-hikers carry those.

Jim Adams
10-29-2007, 00:35
you already know how to walk....pay off all of your bills and you can leave tomorrow!
you will find a partner out there on the trail, if you start slow you will get into conditioning as you go and you will learn everything else by just doing it....HAVE FUN

geek

BigCat
10-29-2007, 22:01
I only had about a month to plan my nobo attempt* last year and that was plenty of time. EWS said it pretty well, you just figure things out along the way. As far as conditioning, I just took it slow and did about 8-10 miles a day for the first few weeks and let the trail get me into shape.

As for gear, I found a lot of discarded stuff climbing Sassafras mountain. It was like a scene out of Bryson's book -- all kinds of brand new equipment littering the mountainside.

*Disclaimer: I did leave the trail after 714.3 miles but that had nothing to do with my preparation or lack thereof. Looking forward to trying it again in '08.

You Go Girl!
01-06-2008, 14:59
I am 59 years old. I've wanted to hike the AT all my life. But things didn't work out as I'd have wished. I took care of my darling sick husband for almost 20 years. He passed away in 2004 and now it's MY time.
I don't have a partner either but I'm ready to GO!
You Go Girl:banana

partinj
01-06-2008, 15:13
Hi Kmart has what is call a Greese Pot it is a 1.5 liter pot weight 3.5oz.It will hold enough water for your meal and a cup of coffee or tea. Cost 6.29 :welcome

High Life
01-06-2008, 17:16
june 5 th 2007 i thought about doing the trail on june 10 i started north from harpers ferry and completed a inside out thru- hike on nov 15 2007
it can be done . footwear is key !