PDA

View Full Version : Scout training for pooping on thetrail

Uncle Wayne
11-20-2003, 08:56
Along with my list concerning bears, I gave the scouts these instructions on "going to the bathroom" while on the trail. This was in preparation for a section hike we did several years ago. Several of the moms took me at my word and I had several calls after they read the instructions I gave their sons.

Leave No Trace Bathroom Visits;
The next items will always be completed at least 200 feet away from camp, the trail or water source.
When you’re getting rid of excess body liquids, aim for a rock or tree. If you must pee on the ground, try to write your name.
When you’re getting rid of excess body solids;
1. Find a stick about 2 feet long as thick as your thumb.
2. Might as well look for a place where you can enjoy the scenery.
3. Dig a cathole 6 inches square and 6 inches deep with the trowel.
4. Squat over the hole, aim carefully and, well, you know what to do.
5. If your aim is off a little, use the stick you found to correct your error and push the stuff in the hole. IMPORTANT! Do not use the trowel.
6. After the paper work is done and dropped into the hole, pee on top of the pile.
7. Take your stick and rake a little dirt into the hole.
8. Stir all this stuff up together.
9. Rake the rest of the dirt over the hole and completely cover the original hole.
10. Push the stick into the middle of the hole, leave it sticking up, pack the dirt slightly over the hole and around the stick.
11. Wash your hands.
12. If you failed to observe the last sentence of step # 5, put the trowel in your pack.

I suggest you practice this a few times at home in the yard before trying it in the woods.

Tabasco
11-20-2003, 09:34
I tried it in my yard a few times this past summer. Now my next door neighbors won't visit anymore?

Rain Man
11-20-2003, 12:00
3. Dig a cathole 6 inches square and 6 inches deep with the trowel.
5. If your aim is off a little, use the stick you found to correct your error and push the stuff in the hole. IMPORTANT! Do not use the trowel.
12. If you failed to observe the last sentence of step # 5, put the trowel in your pack.

Okay now, Uncle Wayne, two important questions...

First, what if you can't dig your cathole square??? Are you out of luck? Have you read the WONDERFUL book "Holes"??? They were all round holes in that book, albeit 6' and not 6". Were they doing it all wrong? Inquiring minds want to know!

Secondly, are you sure #12 is worded correctly? You put the trowel in your pack if you pushed the stuff in the hole with the trowel? YUCKY pack in that case!!!

I did learn something!!!!... stirring the pot and putting the stick in the middle afterwards. Hmmmmmm.

THANKS fer the guidance. :D

Rain Man

Weeknd
11-20-2003, 12:31
Thanks Uncle Wayne for a great description.

And a great laugh! You helped make my day because I will be laughing about the scouts "practicing" in their yard.

These instructions are very close to the instructions (verbal) I recieved in scouts. My only question is why put the stick in the pile? To alert others? I may change my technique.

I might sometimes torch the paper too. Then pee to put it out! Maybe its the pyro in me.:)

Hikerhead
11-20-2003, 14:36
Poop soup :)

"Now listen little Johnie......it's not polite to play in your soup"

Uncle Wayne
11-20-2003, 14:37
First, what if you can't dig your cathole square??? Are you out of luck?

Secondly, are you sure #12 is worded correctly? You put the trowel in your pack if you pushed the stuff in the hole with the trowel? YUCKY ...

putting the stick in the middle afterwards.

Yeah, a lot of the boys (and moms) :confused: asked those same questions. I added the "square" hole to make sure they read my instructions. Before I would give them the trowel, I always carried it just so someone would know who had it, I'd ask "what kind of hole are you gonna dig?"

Our troop was small, usually 10 to 12 was a large group so we only packed in one trowel and I usually packed the trowel as I said so someone would know where it was. Step # 12 helped step # 5 be observed very closely. ;)

Yeah, my wife learned the importance of the stick during our stop at Davenport Gap shelter, which doesn't have a privy. It lets everyone else know that particular spot has been "claimed." :D

Sleepy the Arab
11-20-2003, 23:51
Oh man, I should've written it down before trying it out. I did step #10 before #4, and now I'm all uncomfortable.

bobgessner57
03-20-2004, 08:10
My wife and I took several absolutely green new Venture Scouts on an overnight backpack designed to teach the basics. Two of the more memorable activities were dealing with fire and the cat hole routine. Seems that some of these kids (14 and above) had never learned how to strike matches and none of the girls had ever left a deposit in the woods. One young lady was so enthralled with the cat hole business she found any excuse to disappear with the trowel. At least we knew she was well hydrated. I am glad she didn't decide to burn each hole too for we surely would have run out of matches. Nothing like seeing what you take for granted through someone elses eyes.

I second the notion of leaving an upright stick in your deposit. From a distance it looks natural enough but I surely know not to pull one up.

oyvay
03-20-2004, 16:29
It's important LNT-wise NOT to put the TP in the hole. Use a resealable bag (I use two for the EW factor). Animals may/will find the spot, dig and leave the TP flowers everywhere. The only thing worse than someone's pile of unburied poop is someone TP (close third are "female stuff" left behind LNT no-no too).

It is funny to hear comments from hiking novices about "toilet alternatives" in the woods like "the privies stink." Or groups that bring air freshners for the privies.

Peaks
03-20-2004, 17:16
It's important LNT-wise NOT to put the TP in the hole. Use a resealable bag (I use two for the EW factor). Animals may/will find the spot, dig and leave the TP flowers everywhere. The only thing worse than someone's pile of unburied poop is someone TP

Actually, to pack out or not to pack out depends on where you are and the amount of use the area gets. Some places recommend that you pack it out. Other places say it's not necessary.

flyfisher
03-20-2004, 17:23
It's important LNT-wise NOT to put the TP in the hole. Use a resealable bag (I use two for the EW factor). Animals may/will find the spot, dig and leave the TP flowers everywhere.

I find it possible/preferable to not carry TP to the trail, much less back from the trail. I figure that is what all those dead leaves are for. It is what my ancestors used for something like 100,000 years before city folks started using TP. Worth practicing this trick before leaving for two weeks on the trail. (Also worth taking some alcohol hand cleaner!)

Connie
06-27-2004, 17:39
..better know what poisen ivy and poisen oak look like !

smokymtnsteve
06-27-2004, 17:47
you can always burn it in a fireplace or fire pit
..TP drizzled with cooking\olive oil makes a great fire starter!