PDA

View Full Version : Lost Tilley Hat

SloHiker
10-23-2007, 09:05
Lost Friday (10/19/2007) a mile or two north of 19E between the highway and the new Mountaineer Shelter - practically new LTM6 - so new I hadn't marked my name in it yet? :( I passed three Southbounders, so I'm hoping one of them stumbled across it and can't use it because it isn't their size!

Wonder
10-23-2007, 09:21
maybe let Bob Peoples know.....his team maintains that part of trail....but a lot of locals go there to party too :-(
Good luck, and I hope you find it!

Appalachian Tater
10-23-2007, 09:23
It could be at one of the two closest shelters or right where you left it.

Brad
10-23-2007, 10:00
Hmm, I've always wondered how Tilley handles their lost hat insurance. Maybe we'll find out in this thread.

Odd Man Out
10-23-2007, 12:08
I have a Tilley

As I recall from the peperwork that came with the hat, if you find a Tilley, you can mail it to the company. They will pay the postage and then use the serial number to reunite it with the owner.

Also, whether the other hikers return the hat has less to do with their head size and more to do with their honesty.

lonehiker
10-23-2007, 15:52
Did you buy the hat on the trail? Otherwise, how would it be too new to have not written your name in it................?

SloHiker
10-24-2007, 09:44
Just to tie up the loose ends brought up ...... I stayed at Mtn Harbor B&B on 19E the evening before I lost the hat, and I was hoping the first Southbounder I passed may have left it there if he was heading there for a break/re-supply. I'm certain this SB hiker was within a mile of the hat when I passed him. I had a friend check at Mtn Harbor the next morning - no hat.

Bob shuttled me back to Mtn Harbor at the end of the hike on Sunday and again, the hat wasn't turned in or left there.

Tilley's are covered for "loss" within 2 yrs of purchase for 1/2 the retail price + shipping.

I've owned a half a dozen Tilley's over the years and I've never found one to have a serial number.

This one was relatively new and I was making certain the size was right (Tilley's don't fit like other hats...) before I marked it with identification - my experience has been that it's much easier to sell an unmarked hat.

It's a long shot, I know - but I'd thought I'd post it's loss here anyway .... kind of like the PCH sweepstakes - you can't win if you don't enter.

Thanks for all the input.

DBT fan
10-31-2007, 00:54
For the serial lnumber in your Tilley hat, try looking for another tag behind the sewed in hat size tag.

lonehiker
10-31-2007, 23:23
There is a tag in my Tilley under the size tag. But, I find it hard to believe that it is a serial number. The number on the tag is 210. In addition, I went to their website and looked up hat insurance in the Q&A section. It never mentions a serial number..................

ChinMusic
10-31-2007, 23:28
Sorry for you loss SloHiker.

This thread reminded ME to put my name and # in my LTM6. I'm wearing it in my avitar pic (Glacier National).

SloHiker
11-01-2007, 09:54
Sorry for you loss SloHiker.

This thread reminded ME to put my name and # in my LTM6. I'm wearing it in my avitar pic (Glacier National).

Yep, live & learn ..... anyway, a replacement is on the way - it ended up being a good reason to try the new LTM8.:D

maxNcathy
11-01-2007, 14:41
I misplaced/lost a hat in Damascus that I would be happy to get back for sentimental reasons.

It is an OR/outdoor Research teal colored cap with some writing under the peak

Talking about loooong shots!

Here's to returning hats!!

Sandalwood

[email protected]