PDA

View Full Version : Baxter Creek Trail/Mt. Sterling - How is it?

Chris_Asheville
10-23-2007, 11:48
Has anyone hiked Baxter Creek Trail in the Smokys? Mt. Sterling? We're doing a big loop in two weeks and was interested in any tips/suggestions or personal experiences from the area.
Any suggestions on camping?

Thanks!

mts4602
10-23-2007, 11:54
I have done this loop. I did Big creek trail to campsite 37, shallow fork trail to mount sterling ridge trail and then to Mount Sterling itself at campsite 38. Then the third day we came down Baxter Creek Trail.

There are no views at the top b/c of the trees, But when you climb the firetower the views are amazing. I highly recommend this loop! I am planning on doing it again with some friends Thanksgiving weekend or maybe earlier.

Be prepared for some cold temps at night.

mts4602
10-23-2007, 11:57
Oh yeah, you can go which ever way you want to, but baxter creek trail is a beast..it's about 4000ft elevation gain.

Chris_Asheville
10-23-2007, 12:12
Oh yeah, you can go which ever way you want to, but baxter creek trail is a beast..it's about 4000ft elevation gain.

Would you recommend camping at #37 or at Mt. Sterling? We are thinking about heading up to Mt. Sterling the first night, camping there and hiking to Tricorner on Sat., to Cosby on Sunday and down past the two falls on our way back to big creek.

Tilly
10-23-2007, 12:12
I hiked down trail this time last year, and I have to say that I LOVED it! The best things about this trail are the elevation gain (giving you a variety of terrain and weather--it was snowing on top of Mt Sterling when I was up there, but dry & warm-ish on the bottom) and the fact that the trail is NOT open to horses, so the tread is not trashed like so many horse trails in the the Smokies.

I started from CS 39--beautiful place, gorgeous,--hiked up & over the ridge to Big Creek CG (pay.) It's a small CG on...the Big Creek, but beautiful & scenic.

Oh, man, I spent 6 days hiking in the Smokies last year, I was freezing the whole time, but I saw snow, fall colors, waterfalls, and their Elk herd (they are usually on the road connecting Pretty Hollow Gap Trail & Big Fork/Rough Fork trails--near Cataloochee) and I wish I was down there freezing my butt off again! Any other questions let me know.

Chris_Asheville
10-23-2007, 12:26
The Elk in Cataloochee are pretty awesome. I am hoping for some ultra cool weather while up near Mt. Sterling. Snow would be great! Tilly, you said you went about this time last year. How cold did it get? I'm trying to figure out what I need to bring. I did a 33 mile trip in Feb. that was retardedly cold. We hiked on ice for 90 percent of the hike.

Has anyone hiked up Dry Sluice from Smokemont to the AT? Is the Baxter Trail more difficult than that?!

Tilly
10-23-2007, 12:37
Well, last year, I had a beautiful day in the 60's on my first day, and then after that the temp did not go above 35-40 deg during the day--depending on where you were elevation-wise, of course. It snowed lightly for 2 days, and the coldest it got at night was probably down to 20 deg. Nothing too crazy, but still hard to wrench myself out of my sleeping bag in the am...

It's a crapshoot. The day I left, the temps rose, and it rained !TORRENTS! for 2 days after that...rather have a bit of cold and snow than that.

T-Dubs
10-23-2007, 13:38
Has anyone hiked Baxter Creek Trail in the Smokys? Mt. Sterling? We're doing a big loop in two weeks and was interested in any tips/suggestions or personal experiences from the area.

Thanks!

I was there last week. I was on a quick hike to see how my hammock system worked in a real-life setting. I spent one night at Big Creek CG, one at site #37 on Big Creek Trail and a night at #38 on Sterling. I'd avoid going up Baxter Creek Trail. That is a lot of elevation and no real level spots to rest the legs. The water situation wasn't great. The spring is about .4 mile from the summit and is just a trickle. I had plenty of it, it just takes awhile. A group was already up on Sterling when I got there--debating on the next course of action. Half of them went back down to #37 rather than spend the night on Sterling. (The wind was really blowing that night) and of the remaining 5 campers, 3 went to Big Creek rather than go down Baxter Creek Trail. That's an 11 mile trip rather than just 6. I went down Baxter and didn't have the first problem with that decent.

Have a great trip. It should be beautiful down there this week.

TWS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ThosS/sterlingfallcolor.jpg

soad
10-23-2007, 14:00

It's long, steeps and has no real markers to let you know how far you have gone. We couldn't tell if we were 3 miles in or almost to the top...(sure we could have gaged the time, or vegetation but we were hot, tired and delirious)

Flush2wice
10-23-2007, 14:26

Thanks!
That's a great section, one of the best in the park

Would you recommend camping at #37 or at Mt. Sterling? We are thinking about heading up to Mt. Sterling the first night, camping there and hiking to Tricorner on Sat., to Cosby on Sunday and down past the two falls on our way back to big creek.
CS 37 is on Big Creek trail, not Baxter Creek or Mt. Sterling. Based on the route you describe you'll be passing #37 on your way out the last day. CS 38 is at the firetower on Sterling so water will be questionable in this drought.

I hiked down trail this time last year, and I have to say that I LOVED it! The best things about this trail are the elevation gain (giving you a variety of terrain and weather--it was snowing on top of Mt Sterling when I was up there, but dry & warm-ish on the bottom) and the fact that the trail is NOT open to horses, so the tread is not trashed like so many horse trails in the the Smokies.

I started from CS 39--beautiful place, gorgeous,--hiked up & over the ridge to Big Creek CG (pay.) It's a small CG on...the Big Creek, but beautiful & scenic.
Big Creek Campground is one of my favorite car camping spots. A great day/loop hike is Baxter Creek Trail-Mt Sterling Ridge trail- Swallow Fork trail-Big Creek trail based out of Big Creek CG.

Has anyone hiked up Dry Sluice from Smokemont to the AT? Is the Baxter Trail more difficult than that?!
It's about the same steepness but 2 miles more of it. But like Tilly said it's not trashed from horses.
I would prefer starting the trip up Baxter Creek and get the steep part out of the way first. But that's just my preference. The rest is level or easy downhill (relatively speaking). Mount Sterling Ridge trail is very level and has great views when the leaves are down. I've never been on the Balsam Mt. Trail. I guess that's how your getting to Tri- Corner? Sounds like a fun trip. Hope it rains before your trip.

neo
10-23-2007, 14:30

Thanks!

great trail i loved it,had a great clear view from the fire tower on mt sterling.in april 2002:cool: neo

OldStormcrow
10-23-2007, 14:49
It's long and fairly steep trip up Mt. Sterling from whichever direction you do it, but the firetower is a very cool, if somewhat rickety, viewing spot. It's always really windy at the campsite on Mt. Sterling, and the water is 7/10 of a mile hike back down the hill.

Gray Blazer
10-23-2007, 15:00
Mt Sterling would be a great place to view leaves. You can see the whole ridge from Mt Guyot to Davenport Gap and the AT route over Snowbird and Max Patch. You can see the Blacks and Water Rock Knob. It's just great. If you start from Big Creek you will gain 4000' in about 4 or 6 miles (I forget the mileage but the elevation gain IS correct). I started up there one time after driving all night from FL. It about killed me. Definitely one of the hardest climbs I've done, but like I said I was out of shape and I survived . So will you. Camp on Mt Sterling if you like. I did. Next day I hiked Sterling Ridge to Cataloochee to Tri-corner Knob shelter. Next day to Camel Back Trail to Walnut Bottoms (nice camp spot) and then on out back to Big Creek. Have fun!
There is another way up to Mt Sterling. Drive to Sterling Gap and then it is 2 miles to the tower.

gollwoods
10-23-2007, 17:06
campsite 39 has spots on the top of the ridge south of the trail as well as those on the north side I liked the spots on the south side alot very secluded and closed in.

EAnderson
10-23-2007, 20:51

Baxter averages 669 ft per mile and Dry Sluice is 668 ft per mile so think of Baxter as just a longer & more fun version of Dry Sluice. We hiked the Baxter/Swallow Fork/Big Creek loop this April as a dayhike and the flowers were great. I would choose to go up Baxter. It's a great trail!

kyhiker1
10-23-2007, 21:21
I hiked this trail back in the spring of this year with my wife and two sons.Started out taking Chestnut Branch Trail from Big Creek Area up to the AT.Hiked south,had lunch at Mt.Cammerer(Great Views).Continued south on AT,picked up Low Gap trail down to Campsite #37 and spent the night.2nd day started out on Swallow Fork Trl.,turned north on the BMT/MT.Sterling Ridge Trl. to Campsite #38(Great views from firetower & windy) and Baxter Creek Trl.You will descend almost 4000ft. going down Baxter.This was a great trip with alot of plants in bloom.
I have since returned to the Big Creek area hiking up Big Creek Trl. and traversing around Swallow Fork Trl and down Baxter Crk Trail.I haven't hiked up Baxter Crk yet,but will eventually.

humunuku
10-24-2007, 17:45
Is the Baxter Trail more difficult than that?!

I don't think Baxter is too difficult, sure its long, but the grades aren't any big deal....but i guess it also depends on if your carrying a lot of stuff....

Chris_Asheville
11-05-2007, 10:31
In case anyone was interested, two friends and myself hiked up Baxter Creek to Mt. Sterling on Friday afternoon/evening. It took us about 3.5 hours (with a side trip to get water). The climb was long, but not too brutal. The temps on Mt. Sterling dropped into the low 20's with 20-35 mph winds. It got cold and fast.
On Sat. we hiked the Mt. Sterling Ridge Trail to Balsam Mountain Trail to Gunter Fork to campsite 36. This hike, a little over ten miles, was beautiful and almost all downhill. I will give one warning - be wary hiking up/down Gunter Fork. In rainy /wet conditions, the trail can be impassable, due to high river crossings. Also, the terrain is terribly steep and very narrow at certain points.
On Sunday am, we hiked out Big Creek Trail to Big Creek. I highly recommend this for everyone. There are some beautiful waterfalls and swimming holes along this route.

Overall, the trip was nice. It was pretty cold at night, but 60's and not a cloud in the sky during the day. Like most trips we take in the Southeast, we saw very little wildlife. Until the last .1 mile, all we had seen was one squirrel! There were four deer near the parking lot on our way out.

Chris

mts4602
11-05-2007, 10:53
Ok, now I'm kind of worried. It's already dropping into the low 20's and I'm doing Mt. Sterling in 3 weeks...

Chris_Asheville
11-05-2007, 12:20
Ok, now I'm kind of worried. It's already dropping into the low 20's and I'm doing Mt. Sterling in 3 weeks...

Be prepared for some serious winds... Oh, and no fires in the Smokys right now. It's been too dry, apparently..

mts4602
11-05-2007, 12:49
What bag did you use Chris?

I'm planning on getting the Western Mountaineering Ultralite this week. I think I should be ok with a 20 degree bag and extra clothes.

Chris_Asheville
11-05-2007, 13:02
I used a Marmot T4000 for the weekend hike. It's not bad. The fit is pretty awful, but the storage was fine. I have a big sleeping bag and tent, so I tend to require a slightly bigger pack.
I've never been one to count ounces, even thought it would probably lighten the pack quite a bit. But in actually, it's wicked expensive to go light, in my opinion.

Chris_Asheville
11-05-2007, 13:04
I misread the Q - Sleeping bag.. I have a Mountain hardwear 3rd degree zero bag. It's heavy and bulky, but I was pretty toasty all night.