PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Pole Length

Matt Pincham
11-20-2003, 09:06
Hello All,

I purchased my boots last night (Salomon Adventure Trek 7...very nice) and was also looking at the poles I wish to purchase.

The Leki Makalu Ultralite. I noticed that these poles extend to a maximum of 130 cm. When trying them I found that I had to stretch downwards to make them touch the floor! (with arms fully extended) I'm not all that tall (about 5' 10") but they felt too small! I realise that walking on sloped ground will be different but was just concerned by the fact that it would be an effort to put my weight on them. Am I being stupid? Or is 130cm too small?

JimSproul
11-20-2003, 09:54
Poles, like boots are a personal fit item. I use two poles when I backpack.

On LONG up hill sections I actually shorten them for more "pull". You might try the poles you are looking at on some stairs at the outfitters. On the flats and on average ups and downs I use them at about elbow height, which is about 120cm for me at 5'8" (hard to say for sure because the graduations wore off miles ago). On STEEP down hills I extend mine to about 140cm.

Aside from balance on down hills and crossings, poles work best for me when I use them canted back, like cross-country ski poles. That way you don't get a bump and click everytime you plant them. I push with at least some force on each "stroke". ;)

Don
11-20-2003, 10:49
Manufacturers make superlite poles, in part, by reducing the length. My old Komperdells (REI Haute Route) extended to 58" compared to a little over 51 for the Lekis you bought. My current poles extend to 57". I am about 6'0" and like the extra extension particulary when going downhill or for keeping my balance on stream crossings. I looked at shorter and lighter and opted for the longer poles despite the extra weight. I also like being able to lean forward on extended poles for a short rest. IMHO, 130 cm is way too small.

You might return to the outfitter and try longer poles before you put much use on the Lekis.

Footslogger
11-20-2003, 10:57
Matt ...I'm 5'10" and use my poles at about the 120cm setting. At that height my elbows form a right angle. Unless you like your poles to be a lot higher than that I'm guessing that they ones you've got should work.

Youngblood
11-20-2003, 11:20
The Leki Makalu Ultralite. I noticed that these poles extend to a maximum of 130 cm. When trying them I found that I had to stretch downwards to make them touch the floor! (with arms fully extended) I'm not all that tall (about 5' 10") but they felt too small! I realise that walking on sloped ground will be different but was just concerned by the fact that it would be an effort to put my weight on them. Am I being stupid? Or is 130cm too small?

Matt,

You have to make two adjusts for each pole, one adjustment for each collapseable section. You didn't adjust just one section, did you?

I'm 182 cm tall and 125 cm is where I set my poles.

Youngblood

Rain Man
11-20-2003, 11:51

Matt, I set my Leki Makalu Ultralites at 125cm, but as someone said, you have to set both sections on each pole on the 125 mark. I'm a little over 5'9" tall.

Rain Man

The Solemates
11-20-2003, 13:16
I'm 6'4" and have tried my friend's Leki Makalus. They fit no problem. Make sure you're doing it correctly...

Matt Pincham
11-21-2003, 06:11
Matt,

You have to make two adjusts for each pole, one adjustment for each collapseable section. You didn't adjust just one section, did you?

I'm 182 cm tall and 125 cm is where I set my poles.

Youngblood

Ahem.
If anyone wants me I'll be standing in the corner with the Dunces hat on.

Only looked at them for a few mins cos I wasn't buying them that day. Guess I missed that other section. Think I need a looonnnggggg sleep this weekend.

Rain Man
11-21-2003, 10:00
Ahem.
If anyone wants me I'll be standing in the corner with the Dunces hat on....

Well Matt.... you will have PLENTY of company.

Hmmmmm... maybe we could all tell one of our own "Dunce Hat Stories"???

My own personal, most recent one, is that I walked off from a lunch stop two weekends ago leaving my food bag behind. Didn't realize it until that night at the next shelter. Talk about a DUNCE!!!!

Rain Man

SkyKing
11-30-2003, 12:50
So Rain Man....Guess that wasn't a bear growling that everyone heard during the night?? ;)

Dances with Mice
11-30-2003, 14:06
Well Matt.... you will have PLENTY of company.

Hmmmmm... maybe we could all tell one of our own "Dunce Hat Stories"???

When I pack I use a list so I won't leave something behind. A few months ago I went down the list as usual right before leaving - stove? check. lighter? check. fuel bottle? check, and so on.

That night at camp I had time to consider what else needed to be on the list:

fuel bottle? check. WITH FUEL? ooops.

Rain Man
12-01-2003, 01:09
So Rain Man....Guess that wasn't a bear growling that everyone heard during the night?? ;)

LOL... well, my belly would have been growlin' fer sure... 'cept that night my hiking partner (whom I was meeting up with that day at Dicks Creek Gap) was already lined up to provide dinner. We had "campfire pizza" and I was stuffed. ahhhhhhhhhh.......

Yep, ... I lucked out. Not only that, but Lilredmg who hiked with me the first day found my food bag at the Deep Gap (TN) Shelter and packed it out for me. What a trooper!

Rain Man