PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington - "X" marks the spot?

Dances with Mice
10-23-2007, 13:46
Today the webcam is showing an "X" marked on the deck. It's about all you can see because of the fog.

Any ideas why it's there?

Dances with Mice
10-23-2007, 13:47
Today the webcam is showing an "X" marked on the deck. It's about all you can see because of the fog.

Any ideas why it's there? A link (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/index.php)would probably be helpful...

D'Artagnan
10-23-2007, 13:50
Maybe they had some Scots visiting. :D

mstrat
10-23-2007, 13:52
Wow...gusts up to 92MPH...is that typical?

Dances with Mice
10-23-2007, 14:02
Wow...gusts up to 92MPH...is that typical?No, it's a relatively calm afternoon.

The Old Fhart
10-23-2007, 14:13
DWM-"Any ideas why it's there?"From having worked up there I'd suspect it is so people who want their photos captured by the webcam will know where to stand.

A few years ago when the Pats were playing we shoveled "GO PATS" in 12 foot high letters in the snow on the deck. Took us almost an hour. We had someone on the inside watching the webcam live image and radioing directions to us on the deck. That image appeared on ESPN.

wrongway_08
10-23-2007, 15:49
Its great up there, when I went last month they said it was 80 mph gust at the summit. Man those little stones hurt at that speed!

I want to go back and do a over nighter, explore a little more then what I was able to.

STEVEM
10-23-2007, 15:54
Probably tells the honeydipper driver where the septic tank cover is located.

nitewalker
10-23-2007, 15:57
From having worked up there I'd suspect it is so people who want their photos captured by the webcam will know where to stand.

A few years ago when the Pats were playing we shoveled "GO PATS" in 12 foot high letters in the snow on the deck. Took us almost an hour. We had someone on the inside watching the webcam live image and radioing directions to us on the deck. That image appeared on ESPN.

you were up there when they did that? how cool. i remember that like it was yesterday. go pats scrubed out in the snow...now it should say " GO SOX":banana

Roland
10-23-2007, 16:20
you were up there when they did that? how cool. i remember that like it was yesterday. go pats scrubed out in the snow...now it should say " GO SOX":banana

The problem is that there's no snow. In fact, we've been breaking daily high temperature records left and right, lately.

sonic
10-23-2007, 16:40
I look at that webcam every day. The X has been there for some time. They had some monitoring equipment on the spots until just recently when the weather was predicted to turn bad. I snagged a picture of Troll, Anchor and Oblivious when they stopped here on their thru in 2005.

Mr. Clean
10-26-2007, 05:20
Very cool. There TJ was my favorite.