PDA

View Full Version : Text Messaging

Footslogger
10-23-2007, 14:40
There was a time when I tought I'd NEVER send a text message. Now I even have a data package on my cell phone that covers sending of data (text) and photos, since my phone has a built in camera.

Anyway ...not too long ago I was totally out of coverage range for a cell phone call but I happened to notice that I was able to send/receive text messages. I asked around a bit and found out that it is quite common to have the ability to send text messages even when you can't get a cell signal.

Bottom line is that I have gone from thinking that I wouod NEVER send a text message to a frequent text messenger. In fact my next phone will have the larger QWERTY keyboard. Reason for posting this is that with all the negative feedback sometimes generated with regard to hikers making calls on their cell phones I was wondering how folks feel about text messaging on the trail. No noise (if you have your audible keyboard feature deactivated) plus the ability to send receive messages when cell coverage otherwise might not be available. For a quick "I'm OK and in the following location" to a friend or loved one it seems pretty hard to beat.

What does everyone else think ??

'Slogger

lonehiker
10-23-2007, 14:45
I'm ok with it. But then again, I am not opposed to the use of them to make calls either.

Yukon
10-23-2007, 14:56
What is this garbage I keep hearing about not being able to use a cell phone on the AT or people giving you a hassle about it?? If you need to use your phone then you need to use your phone, try and stop me from doing it LOL..

In response to your thread now, I don't see any problem with text messaging, it's very handy to have.

Cuffs
10-23-2007, 14:57
I had that very same instance this past week. Signal was not strong enough for a call, but text was working. I didnt need it, but another hiker (not from our group) needed to make contact with a family member, and text was the only way to do it...

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 14:58
there was a time that i thought i would NEVER own a cell phone. i don't

taildragger
10-23-2007, 14:59
seems like at that point it might be better just to use your phone for email. At least thats what I would do on a long distance hike. This would minimize my time in town, or allow me to focus on a more relaxing beer in town, I could take care of the updates just before I go to sleep, or while taking a break on the trail.

Personally, I kinda like and hate text messages. I hate getting them when someone could have called, but I like using them when hunting (its nice to hear what other people in different states are seeing in their stands, then lie to them about that 16 point buck thats 2 ft out of range :D)

Footslogger
10-23-2007, 15:01
[quote=WalterP;432145]What is this garbage I keep hearing about not being able to use a cell phone on the AT or people giving you a hassle about it??

========================================

Didn't say you were not able to use a cell phone on the AT. The flack is typically aimed at those who engage in loud conversations out in the middle of the woods.

Guess my point is that text messaging is quiet and efficient. I was just wondering what other people's experience has been with it as a means of on-trail communication.

'Slogger

Footslogger
10-23-2007, 15:03
[quote=taildragger;432150]seems like at that point it might be better just to use your phone for email. At least thats what I would do on a long distance hike.
=====================================

Actually that's where I'm headed with my next phone. Plan to carry it on my PCT thru and either message via text or e-mail when signal is available. You can use the "draft" mode and create messages/journal entries and then send them out when you're ready or have a signal.

'Slogger

budforester
10-23-2007, 15:06
I like the capability, but take care not to be obtrusive. I play outdoors in "fringe" areas, and also notice that text seems more reliable than voice. I use my phone more for email... my contacts prefer it over cell phone text. I even post via email to my blog, occasionally.

budforester
10-23-2007, 15:16
[quote=taildragger;432150]seems like at that point it might be better just to use your phone for email. At least thats what I would do on a long distance hike.

Actually that's where I'm headed with my next phone. Plan to carry it on my PCT thru and either message via text or e-mail when signal is available. You can use the "draft" mode and create messages/journal entries and then send them out when you're ready or have a signal.

'Slogger
Your current phone will probably send and receive email... you just need the code to mail to. Create a text message beginning with the address you are sending to. Skip a space and type the message. Then send it to the carrier's email access number.

Just a Hiker
10-23-2007, 15:23
I think phones come in handy. I never use mine in the woods, but I use it in town to order pizza and call my daughter and sister. I admit I do use it at Partnership and 501 lean-to's to order pizza as well.

Footslogger
10-23-2007, 15:26
[quote=Footslogger;432155]
Your current phone will probably send and receive email... you just need the code to mail to. Create a text message beginning with the address you are sending to. Skip a space and type the message. Then send it to the carrier's email access number.

=================================

Hmmm ...thought you had to have an internet equipped phone. Never tried that before. Just sent a text to my wife's e-mail addy from my cell phone. Will see if it went.

Thanks for that ...

'Slogger

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 15:40
Well I have found since the pay phone is becoming extinct that a cell phone for making calls to home when I would have used a pay phone back in the day is an OK idea. Especially since you can turn one off when you are not in town AND the batteries with LiIon last much longer than the old NiCads used to. What I have noticed though is that same thing - my cell phone does not always get coverage everywhere. But if I send my wife a text message it can still get out. That is as long as it is just text. My cell can take 2.2MP photos, sending one of those takes a really good signal.

Footslogger
10-23-2007, 15:56
[quote=Footslogger;432155]
===============================

Wonder if there is a difference in cost between sending a text message to someone's e-mail address from your cell phone versus to their cell phone ??

'Slogger

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 16:00
I only send messages to my wife's E=Mail.

Footslogger
10-23-2007, 16:02
I only send messages to my wife's E=Mail.

That's probably all I would use if for too Rock. Just hadn't experimented with sending e-mails from my cell phone. Always just sent her a standard phone to phone text message.

'Slogger

budforester
10-23-2007, 16:08
[quote=budforester;432164]
===============================

Wonder if there is a difference in cost between sending a text message to someone's e-mail address from your cell phone versus to their cell phone ??

'Slogger
I think that will depend on your carrier; some of them may stick it to ya, whereas others charge same as for text. Check your contract or call customer service might be the best.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 16:09
It took me a while to figure it out. I use Cigular, which is now AT&T

Ewker
10-23-2007, 16:11
my son uses text messages for 95% of his conversations..unlimited text messages cost about $ 5 to $ 10 a month depending on the service. I think the most he has done in a month is 5000. By using text messages he can get the cheapest cell service out there

Sly
10-23-2007, 16:17

'Slogger

It cost me to receive text on my cell phone. :mad:

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 16:21
You can usually bump your plan to allow a certain number a month for free. I use so few that it was not that big a deal. But as soon as I did I started getting spam e-mails.

Cosmic Crusader
10-23-2007, 16:28
there was a time that i thought i would NEVER own a cell phone. i don't

Guess I base it on the fact that most of us are not important enough that it really matters what we have to say, and for me there are fewer that I care what they have to say... espec in the woods.

Leave your collars and leashes at home... and if you can't well just be respectful of the peace others are in the woods for -

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 16:34
Don't let LWolf fool you. He owns stock in cell phone companies. He is just trying to goad you into buying a phone to spite him. Bring up gas prices next.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 16:35
Bring up gas prices next.

the higher the better

Tin Man
10-23-2007, 16:37
It cost me to receive text on my cell phone. :mad:

Bummer... what's your cell number? :D

faarside
10-23-2007, 16:40
...I was totally out of coverage range for a cell phone call but I happened to notice that I was able to send/receive text messages. I asked around a bit and found out that it is quite common to have the ability to send text messages even when you can't get a cell signal.

The reason is that many text (cell phone mail) applications are designed to re-try message transmission until the send is successful. This capability would not work when making a voice call as a "carrier signal" (or contact with a cell tower is mandatory before a voice call can be made. Text can just sit around for a bit in an outbox waiting for an opportune moment to go.

...I was wondering how folks feel about text messaging on the trail. No noise (if you have your audible keyboard feature deactivated) plus the ability to send receive messages when cell coverage otherwise might not be available. For a quick "I'm OK and in the following location" to a friend or loved one it seems pretty hard to beat.

What does everyone else think ??

I am not opposed to having a cell phone available for emergency contact or periodic check-in calls. I have a real tiny, real basic, no frills cell phone that weighs practically nothing, and have a AA battery adapter to run it. That phone hardly ever leaves my pack except for the two reasons I mentioned above. Having worked in New York City and been a train commuter for many years, I have been bothered by loud talking folks on their cell phones for a long time.

I hit the Trail for solitude and escape from everyday tech, and expect I will NOT hear folks chatting up a storm while I am trying to relax and enjoy nature. Texting, well, I suppose it beats the heck out of hearing people yapping too loudly. If folks would reserve use of their cell phones (for voice calls) for times when they are in a town or a similar public setting, I am not opposed to their use on the Trail.

Happy Trails!

bjj4287
10-23-2007, 18:20
i use iTapen ... i hate abc... on my old phone i used t9 word ... what you guys use?

JoeHiker
10-24-2007, 11:31
Yes, when you learn how to use iTAPEn it really makes texting much faster and easier.

I had the same experience this past weekend in vermont. I was able to text back and forth with no problems in most places but even on the tops of some mountains, I couldn't make calls.

CoyoteWhips
10-24-2007, 13:14
Seems like texting is the digital Morse code of the 21st century -- the most durable of wireless communications.

Is anybody else amused by people who post about the solitude of the wilderness, then go hiking on the busiest trails?

Sly
10-24-2007, 13:21
Is anybody else amused by people who post about the solitude of the wilderness, then go hiking on the busiest trails?

Although I'd say it's hard during northbound thru-hiker season, you can find solitude on the AT if you hike it off season.

Kerosene
10-24-2007, 13:25
The reason is that many text (cell phone mail) applications are designed to re-try message transmission until the send is successful. This capability would not work when making a voice call as a "carrier signal" (or contact with a cell tower is mandatory before a voice call can be made. Text can just sit around for a bit in an outbox waiting for an opportune moment to go.Also, note that you don't need a lot of bandwidth, or even a very strong connection for very long, to send 256 characters. Texting, or Blackberry e-mail, is much better than trying to rely on voice.

rafe
10-24-2007, 13:27
Although I'd say it's hard during northbound thru-hiker season, you can find solitude on the AT if you hike it off season.

Absolutely! And especially mid-week.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 13:47
So what is iTAPEn?

JoeHiker
10-24-2007, 14:05
It is a predictive texting mechanism. You only have to hit a key once per letter. Instead of hitting the '2' key three times in order to get the letter 'C', you only have to hit it once.

Let's say you want to spell the world "Hello". You hit the keys for H-E-L-L-O in sequence which is 4-3-5-5-6.

At first what you see on the screen will probably NOT be "H", "HE", or even "HEL" but each time you hit a key, the phone keeps trying to figure out what valid words could possibly be made from the keys you have hit so far. Very quickly it usually narrows things down to the word you want.

Of course, many times there are many possible words which could be made. In that case there is a key you hit to tell the phone, "No, try the next possible world". On my phone it is the '0' key.

Once you get the hang of it, it works out quite well and you phone texts very fast. Best of all, most phones actually LEARN from what you do. Pretty soon the first word that appears for a given key combination is the word you usually tend to type. And if you type in a name often enough, it learns those too.

You can always temporarily switch back to ABC mode for names when necessary.

JoeHiker
10-24-2007, 14:07

Even the busiest trails still give you a lot more solitude than most places.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 14:08
Sounds like something my phone was doing while I was typing on it - but it wasn't normally right. So does this mean my phone is an idiot?

JoeHiker
10-24-2007, 14:45
It's only as good as the software written for it. But if the phone is relatively recent (say the last 2 to 4 years) and was not bare bones, you will probably find that it gets smarter over time.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 15:06
Ohhh. Good, because today it tried to turn Hi into Iguana.

EWS
10-25-2007, 03:12
Just don't do it while driving.

Kirby
10-25-2007, 06:33
At my age, I always have a cell phone for safety. If I ever have to use it, I walk away from everyone, sit down, and try to talk very quietly, and keep the conversation short.

At least in the wilderness, I had difficulty sending text messages, but I would much rather send a text messae than have a conversation on my cell phone.

Safety first,
Kirby

Jaybird
10-25-2007, 06:47
There was a time when I tought I'd NEVER send a text message. Now I even have a data package on my cell phone that covers sending of data (text) and photos, since my phone has a built in camera.......ETC,ETC,ETC,.......................Wh at does everyone else think ??
'Slogger

DAMN 'Slogger!
you're moving headfirst into the TEKKIE world!

GOOD FER U!

CoyoteWhips
10-25-2007, 08:06
At my age, I always have a cell phone for safety. If I ever have to use it, I walk away from everyone, sit down, and try to talk very quietly, and keep the conversation short.

I think folks will understand if you continue to stay where you fell and shout a little bit.

taildragger
10-25-2007, 11:56
Even the busiest trails still give you a lot more solitude than most places.

Try moving to Slapout Oklahoma, I've seen more hikers in a day on the AT then I have ever seen in Slapout.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=127525

JoeHiker
10-25-2007, 12:29
Well I must admit, Slapout Oklahoma was not exactly the first town to pop into my head when I meant "most places".