PDA

View Full Version : recommend section in Georgia or S. NC ??

Crazy_Al
10-23-2007, 14:44
My relatives from Dallas, TX want to do a short hike (2 or 3 days) on the AT. What section would you recommend in either Georgia or Southern NC ??? My relatives ages are 54, 51, 20, and 17. I believe they are over optimistic about their hiking ability. They do Boy Scout hikes.
I was thinking about "slack packing" and staying at "Hike Hostel" in GA.
Give me some suggestions !!!

Appalachian Tater
10-23-2007, 15:08
My relatives from Dallas, TX want to do a short hike (2 or 3 days) on the AT. What section would you recommend in either Georgia or Southern NC ??? My relatives ages are 54, 51, 20, and 17. I believe they are over optimistic about their hiking ability. They do Boy Scout hikes.
I was thinking about "slack packing" and staying at "Hike Hostel" in GA.
Give me some suggestions !!!

I agree with the slack-packing if they have no experience and no equipment. Plan it around the hostel in Dahlonega or hook up with Ron Haven up in Franklin. Either that or do your own shuttling with two cars.

Also, are they dead set on the A.T.? You have the Pinhoti and other trails in Alabama.

bigcranky
10-23-2007, 16:24
If they do want an overnight backpacking trip, the Standing Indian loop is nice. Starting at the trailhead parking at Standing Indian Campground, there is a blue-blaze approach trail up to the AT just north of Albert Mountain. Then head southbound over Albert and past Carter Gap and over Standing Indian to Deep Gap, where you take the Kimsey Creek trail back to your car. It's about 25 miles. This is hardly a flat walk in the park, but once you're up on the ridgeline, it's not so bad. Call it moderately strenuous.

bigcranky
10-23-2007, 16:25
Let me add that this loop makes a nice 3-day hike.

stumpy
10-23-2007, 17:09
The Standing Indian campground is a great place to start. You can take many trails up to the AT and back. Standing Indian has great view and you can even drive up Deep Gap road and leave a car near the top. You could even camp in the campground and take several different day hikes that would be worh while.:sun

orangebug
10-23-2007, 19:55
...is by far the easiest loop hike in the southern Apps. There are dozens of loop options using the many trails from the ridge to the campground/backcountry parking lot. Deep Gap is a great place to park and it is very easy to arrange a shuttle (Ron Havens) from Old US 64 or Winding Stair Gap back to your car. Of course, Deep Gap Road will eventually close for the winter, but I've been able to get up there just after Xmas last year for a snow walk.

The original AT was a walk from Deep Gap along Kimsey Creek trail, across to the Lower Ridge Trail (I think) and up to Glassmine Gap near Rock Gap. A very nice section/loop is to park at Deep Gap, go either the old AT up the Glassmine and back to your car, or north along the AT and descend from Glassmine and walk up the Kimsey Creek Trail.

Nearly Normal
10-24-2007, 01:32
You won't go wrong with the hiker hostel. They have a great service. Slacking GA will give a good taste for the AT. Do 10 mile days.
Take your backpacking stuff in case you find it's too tame.
Start at Springer. In 3 days you will be at Neel's Gap. Everyone will know by then if it's something they want to persue.
Contact the hostel about dates. Early spring will be crowded but the AT fever level is the highest. You'll also get educated or at least curious about smart gear choices.

Nearly Normal

Marta
10-24-2007, 07:48
The Hiker Hostel would be a great choice. If they know anything at all about the AT, a section including Springer Mtn. would be a good choice just because it's The Beginning. Josh and Leigh could probably advise on appropriate-length sections. If your guests are (even if only one of them is) really out of shape, even a 10-mile day might be too much. Maybe four or five is more realistic, such as Three Forks to Springer summit, and back down to the parking area near the summit.

I think the Hiker Hostel is really busy right now, so you should definitely check on availability.

PS--That was my 999th post. I should really get out more myself!

markellag
10-24-2007, 19:48
There was a shelter in Georgia, on the AT, that was at the top of a mountain that I thought was wonderful. What is the name of that shelter ?????

River Runner
10-24-2007, 19:58
There was a shelter in Georgia, on the AT, that was at the top of a mountain that I thought was wonderful. What is the name of that shelter ?????

A lot of them are close to the top of a mountain. :-?

You might be talking about the one on top of Blood? An old stone shelter?

markellag
10-24-2007, 20:15
A lot of them are close to the top of a mountain. :-?
You might be talking about the one on top of Blood? An old stone shelter?

It was not Blood Mountain.
It had a spring, I think it was North of Helen, GA.
The night I camped there (around 3 years ago) there where probably 25 people there.

River Runner
10-24-2007, 20:27
It was not Blood Mountain.
It had a spring, I think it was North of Helen, GA.
The night I camped there (around 3 years ago) there where probably 25 people there.

Tray Mountain is the next shelter north of Helen.

Crazy_Al
10-25-2007, 08:14
Tray Mountain is the next shelter north of Helen.

Tray Mountain in what I was thinking about. I stayed there around 3 years ago, and it was wonderful.

BlackCloud
10-25-2007, 09:15
I would say start @ US 64 and go north --> you can't go wrong.....