PDA

View Full Version : 18th Amendment Repealed!

Tin Man
10-23-2007, 16:35
The 18th Amendment (Prohibition) was repealed on December 5, 1933 ... or was it?

Some state parks in CT have banned beverages of the alcoholic variety. Is alcohol banned anywhere along the trail? I would hate to unknowingly break the law. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 16:37
it is banned at Fontana Dam at the shelter area

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 16:38
Go the BMT and avoid the Dam.

Tin Man
10-23-2007, 16:40
it is banned at Fontana Dam at the shelter area

So I should dump my alcohol at the shelter and if someone should happen to drop a match...well, two problems are solved. :-?

Cuffs
10-23-2007, 17:02
Dont move to Alabama, 1/2 the counties here are DRY!!!!!

Tin Man
10-23-2007, 17:13
Dont move to Alabama, 1/2 the counties here are DRY!!!!!

Alabama is not on my list of destinations...no offense. If you should ever go through NJ, be careful where you stop to eat, only about half the dinner serving restaurants have a liquor license as I found out the hard way. Although you can BYO.

Frosty
10-23-2007, 17:15
The 18th Amendment (Prohibition) was repealed on December 5, 1933 ... or was it?It was.

Some state parks in CT have banned beverages of the alcoholic variety. Is alcohol banned anywhere along the trail? I would hate to unknowingly break the law. :rolleyes:Many hostels ban tobacco and alcohol, and some states have laws against drinking in public. Banning alcohol (or tobacco) has nothing to do with Prohibition.

Tin Man
10-23-2007, 17:18
It was.

Banning alcohol (or tobacco) has nothing to do with Prohibition.

No kidding. :)

Tin Man
10-23-2007, 17:20
Many hostels ban tobacco and alcohol, and some states have laws against drinking in public.

That's fine by me - I am not a big hostel fan.

ChinMusic
10-23-2007, 17:24
The 21st Amendment allows for provisions for local control of alcohol sales. That is why certain areas are "dry" still. My own town was "dry" until last March, when the prohibition for sales was repealed. To my knowledge they cannot prohibit consumption on you own private property.

Tin Man
10-23-2007, 17:30
OK, so we have dry towns away from the AT. Where are the dry spots on the AT?

Cuffs
10-23-2007, 17:39
TinMan, I know you are still looking for your answer, but I wanted to put this into the mix... while looking for your answer, I found a Nat'l park that limits the MONTHS of the year you can have alcohol...?

Kirby
10-23-2007, 17:43
I believe there are no alcoholic beverages allowed in Baxter State Park, or it might be specifically on Katahdin, although this rule is violated by many thru hikers every year who wish to celebrate on the summit with some type of alcohol. I personally do not mind as long as they LNT and be mindful of others on the summit, most are from what I hear.

Kirby

chiefdaddy
10-23-2007, 17:44
Well North Ga has some dry areas, also NC along the trail. I remember whiskey lovin hikers complaining about not being able to find any! Good reason to mail drop..evil laugh!

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 17:45
Exactly. Maps and bourbon, everything else you can buy.

chiefdaddy
10-23-2007, 17:48
Well there are some things I wont mention :D

Sarg you are the man! Great minds think alike.... or was it idots at work.

chiefdaddy
10-23-2007, 17:49
idiots even

Tin Man
10-23-2007, 17:50
Yikes! Planning ahead just became more meaningful. :D

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 17:51
Well there is also duct tape.

Gray Blazer
10-23-2007, 18:01
Uncle Red would be proud!

The Weasel
10-23-2007, 18:31
See the topic of "alcohol" in my article (released articles section) on Law for Backpackers 101.

Alcohol is at least technically illegal in, as I recall, Shenandoah NP and Baxter SP, in certain places. (Read the article before slamming me; that section has been tested by fire here). That means that if a Ranger wants to bust you for something, and she/he sees alcohol, they can, but otherwise usually won't.

TW

Cookerhiker
10-23-2007, 18:37
See the topic of "alcohol" in my article (released articles section) on Law for Backpackers 101.

Alcohol is at least technically illegal in, as I recall, Shenandoah NP and Baxter SP, in certain places. (Read the article before slamming me; that section has been tested by fire here). That means that if a Ranger wants to bust you for something, and she/he sees alcohol, they can, but otherwise usually won't.

TW

So why do the concessions in SNP sell beer & wine? I just bought some "Shenandoah National Park " wine (no kidding) on my last visit less than a month ago.

weary
10-23-2007, 18:39
I believe there are no alcoholic beverages allowed in Baxter State Park, or it might be specifically on Katahdin, although this rule is violated by many thru hikers every year who wish to celebrate on the summit with some type of alcohol. I personally do not mind as long as they LNT and be mindful of others on the summit, most are from what I hear.
Kirby
It's my understanding that alcohol is allowed at campsites and shelters, but technically not in public areas, which would seem to preclude it on the summit. I've never heard of anyone being arrested for a celebratory drink on the summit after walking 2,175 miles so I wouldn't worry about it.

Weary

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 18:39

Kirby

i called the baxter st. park office a couple of years ago and they said you can drink in the park but don't be obnoxious

rickb
10-23-2007, 18:40
From the written regs from Baxter:

27. LIQUOR AND DRUGS: General laws of the State pertaining to liquor and drugs apply within the Park. Maine law prohibits drinking of alcoholic beverages in public places.

As usual, Weary is right.

Cookerhiker
10-23-2007, 18:46
Well, I hope the liquor police in Baxter don't see one of my summit photos (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8767&catid=member&orderby=posts&direction=DESC&imageuser=5065&cutoffdate=-1)on Katahdin or I won't be welcome in the park anymore.;)

chiefdaddy
10-23-2007, 18:58
The NOC had BOX red wine :D

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 19:01
Well, I hope the liquor police in Baxter don't see one of my summit photos (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8767&catid=member&orderby=posts&direction=DESC&imageuser=5065&cutoffdate=-1)on Katahdin or I won't be welcome in the park anymore.;)
All I see is a bottle - you could have Pepsi in there for all anyone knows.

shelterbuilder
10-23-2007, 20:02
i called the baxter st. park office a couple of years ago and they said you can drink in the park but don't be obnoxious

And this is precisely why places will ban alcohol - it removes one "incentive" for being obnoxious. (all other incentives remain, however!:D )

CoyoteWhips
10-23-2007, 20:03

No actual drinking, really. Could be a demonstration of packing out litter.

I'd have never thought to redline the dry areas on my trail maps. I have poor booze organization skills.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 20:04
I've though of the same thing. But I have 13 drops for maps (and sundry items)

Cookerhiker
10-23-2007, 20:16

I'm still guilty - it's right here. http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhiker2005/

Kirby
10-23-2007, 20:18
I am yet to hear of anyone being arrested in baxter state park for celebrating walking 2,174 miles to the summit. If it ever was a rule, I believe it was there for their own morale, if that makes sense. In other words, they want to appear as protecting the wilderness, but never enforce it as long, as L.Wolf said, you are not obnoxious. I know there was drinking at the Birches when I was there. Technically, I believe, the park recieves no public funds, which would mean it is not run publicly, but I am think there is some sort of document that says while the park is to be run entirely on fees and donations, it is still technically owned by the state.

Kirby

Flush2wice
10-23-2007, 20:20
The trail goes through a lot of "dry" counties, mostly in the south. That only means there are no sales. Has nothing to do with possession or consumption. The only places on the trail where alcohol possession is prohibited that I know of are in some of the state parks. Obviously hostels have their own rules but they aren't "on" the trail. Fontana dam is controlled by the TVA. I don't know if technically it's private property but TVA makes the rules and they say no alcohol. There are plenty of other laws that take effect once someone becomes drunk and obnoxious.

The Weasel
10-23-2007, 20:30
I am yet to hear of anyone being arrested in baxter state park for celebrating walking 2,174 miles to the summit. If it ever was a rule, I believe it was there for their own morale, if that makes sense. In other words, they want to appear as protecting the wilderness, but never enforce it as long, as L.Wolf said, you are not obnoxious. I know there was drinking at the Birches when I was there. Technically, I believe, the park recieves no public funds, which would mean it is not run publicly, but I am think there is some sort of document that says while the park is to be run entirely on fees and donations, it is still technically owned by the state.

Kirby

Lest you wonder, Kirby, I would be cautious if I were you about any alcohol use other than, perhaps, a celebration shot on Katahdin. While rangers will turn a blind eye to modest alcohol use by adults, most LEOs will be very intolerant of 'minor in possession'. It can also have serious repercussions for your group leader, as well. A word to the wise....

TW

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 20:32
Never give alcohol to a minor. Bad, bad idea.

The Weasel
10-23-2007, 20:33
Or be an adult in charge of youth, and know they have alcohol or illegal drugs (which includes MJ). Also a bad idea.

TW

Sly
10-23-2007, 20:46

Oh, that article again! :rolleyes: It may be restricted in areas but it is not illegal in the SNP.

camojack
10-23-2007, 20:48
:banana Best summit photo ever! (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=65079) :banana

Kirby
10-23-2007, 21:40
I do not use, nor support the use of, any liquid or substance that is considered illegal for those under a certain age or illegal in general. I have no intentions of drinking on the trail. No problem if others do, just be kind of those of us who do not drink, and we will have no issues. :)

Kirby

Frosty
10-23-2007, 21:44
i called the baxter st. park office a couple of years ago and they said you can drink in the park but don't be obnoxiousWell, that's as unfair as hell! I don't drink but I'm wicked obnoxious :mad:

Tin Man
10-23-2007, 21:58
but I'm wicked obnoxious :mad:

That part is obvious. :D

Frosty
10-23-2007, 22:32
Never give alcohol to a minor. Bad, bad idea.Also a bad idea to drink with a minor. When I was 22, I was working on my car in front of my apartment. Guy I knew came by with a couple of beers and offered me one. Cops came by, saw us drinking (illegal to drink in public in Mass, or at least it was in 1969). Turns out the other guy was only 20 and the cops arrested me on the spot for contributing to the delinquincy of a minor.

Yikes!

Cops didn't care who bought the beer, only that:
a) I was an adult, and
b) a minor was drinking in my presence.

Took a lot of $$$ to straighten that out, in the form of continuing the case again and again until after a couple years of doing this and my not getting into any trouble, being a Vietnam vet returning to school, yadda yadda, the DA dropped the charge.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 22:33
Good point. I know someone that recently had a lot of trouble over something sort of like this. Except the minor was a lot younger than 20.

Skidsteer
10-23-2007, 23:17
Uncle Red would be proud!

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Frosty
10-23-2007, 23:47
Good point. I know someone that recently had a lot of trouble over something sort of like this. Except the minor was a lot younger than 20.Yeah. I had no idea he was underage and wouldn't have cared had I known. Being a cocky young punk, when the cop told me I was being arrested for contributing to the delinquincy, I said something like, "No way. Ha ha. He bought it, not me. Ha ha. Joke's on you."

Yeah, well, I was young.