PDA

View Full Version : Priest Parking

Lead Dog
10-23-2007, 16:42
Going to drop a car off FS 826 to hike back to from Cow Camp access trail -Hotel Trail. Any comments on the condition of this forest road? Have an Explorer and wondering if I'll have enough clearance to make it up the road.

Groucho
10-23-2007, 23:43
Going to drop a car off FS 826 to hike back to from Cow Camp access trail -Hotel Trail. Any comments on the condition of this forest road? Have an Explorer and wondering if I'll have enough clearance to make it up the road.

From: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/gp/recreation/hiking/crabtree_falls.shtml

"Crabtree Falls Trail is in the Blue Ridge Mountains off State Route 56, a narrow winding State Highway in Nelson Coundy. It may also be reached via State Route 826, a dirt road recommended for four-wheel drive or high-axle vehicles only. "

Last I was there ( a long time ago), passenger cars could get to Crabtree Meadows easily. Meadows are 0.5 mi. from the AT. It looked like a rough ride to the Trail from the Meadows.

ki0eh
10-24-2007, 07:57
Couple of years ago I drove up to top trailhead of Crabtree Falls in a 1990 Honda Civic that bottoms out in our paved driveway. Made it, slowly. Especially in a vehicle like that, aim tires for the high spots as it's very unlikely any rock remaining in a traveled road will puncture a tire tread.

Another time in another vehicle I kept going to the A.T. crossing where there is no parking, and on a weekend many rednecks pulled off in between half blocking the road. Then a caravan of Jeeps came up from the FS "road" from the other side (!). Can't drive it any faster than walking it anyway, so stop at the Crabtree Falls trailhead and walk the half mile laughing rather than being laughed at. :)