PDA

View Full Version : Photo Upload Issue

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 16:48
I am looking for a solution to an photo upload problem.

Up until last Wednesday, I was able to upload pics to WB with no issues whatsoever. As of now the only pics that can be uploaded are the ones that are already here(did this as a test).
When I hit the browse button, it goes to my pics and fills in the space next to browse. It takes about 30 seconds and then the screen goes white and says done in the bottom left hand corner. It should default back to WB and show me what was entered.
No other pics will go in from "My Pictures" file in the computer. I am not having any problems uploading in Trail journals, bplite, or other sites.

I profusely thank SGT Rock and Attroll for their tireless efforts to see if it was on their end, but it is not. I sent pics that I wanted to enter at WB via e-mail to Attroll and he had no problem using my account to get them in.

Very strange. Countless hours have been spent with Microsoft, HP, and the guys here at WB. Apparently I am missing something.

Is there anyone out ther that has the EXACT same problem now or in the past with other sites.

HELP!!!!

Thanks,

SD

Ewker
10-23-2007, 17:02
could your pics be to large to upload and when they did it they resized it so it would upload?..just a thought as i have forgotten to resize pics before

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 17:04
We tried that. All the pics are within correct size. Thanks though.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 17:08
At this point I tend to think he needs to log out, clear his cookies, clear his browser cache, and then come back, log in, and try again.

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 17:10
Where do I do that Rock?

At this point I tend to think he needs to log out, clear his cookies, clear his browser cache, and then come back, log in, and try again.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 17:12
Are you using Internet explorer?

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 17:30
Alright, I went into Internet Explorer and cleared the cookies. That's why it's taken so long to get back. Password Issues here but all clear. I tried to upload but same results. What next....

Are you using Internet explorer?

faarside
10-23-2007, 17:31
If this is not a file SIZE issue, perhaps it is a file TYPE issue. If you have a utility to edit image files, you may want to try re-saving your JPG (or whatever file type you have) to a GIF, or BMP for example, and try to upload again.

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 17:33
Thanks faarside, I have done that task already. I am within WB's requirements.

Thank you.

SD

If this is not a file SIZE issue, perhaps it is a file TYPE issue. If you have a utility to edit image files, you may want to try re-saving your JPG (or whatever file type you have) to a GIF, or BMP for example, and try to upload again.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 17:34
If you cleared the cookies and files and came back in with the same results I doubt that is the issue.

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 17:44
I am assuming I cleared the cookies correctly seeing that I had to log in to WB after I did that. I deleted the cookies in the temporary internet folder. I think that takes care of all of them. When I go to the folders section, it lists a ****load of stuff. I was wondering if I need to select and clear something specific or all of them.

Maaaan do I need a beer.....

SD

If you cleared the cookies and files and came back in with the same results I doubt that is the issue.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 17:44
Clear all of em just in case

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 18:00
It says"Delete files in the temporary internet files"... Dear G*d I hope I don't mess this up. Let me know..

SD

Clear all of em just in case

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 18:03
Yes...

#1 - log out of WhiteBlaze
#2 - delete temporary internet files
#3 - delete cookies
#4 - come back to WB and log in
#5 - try again.

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 18:04
OK will do.

Yes...

#3 - delete cookies
#5 - try again.

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 18:28
Rock, I have done all of that. Shut down and come back up. Tried to upload.... Nothing.....

I need a therapist.

I don't know what to do next. Temp files are cleared, cookies are cleared.

Should I try to change format of pics to jpeg bitmap or something else? Been there done that. Maybe change file size. I am sure I am within the requirements of WB for pics. I have double checked.

SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Rock http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=432354#post432354)
Yes...

#3 - delete cookies
#5 - try again.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/misc/progress.gif

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 18:30
I don't think those are the issue if Troll could upload your files using your account. I did have some issues once myself, but it was from corrupted files from my chinese made digital camera.

Hikerhead
10-23-2007, 18:34
Make sure they're JPEG (which you've probably done).

You might want to just trying renaming your pic on your system. Whatever it called now just delete it and call it pic 1 or something. Sometimes I've had problems uplaoding and this fixed it.

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 18:35
That is a possibility. I own a Canon PowerShot 530. Never had problems before as far as downloading/uploading in the past. Maybe it has freaked out and transferred something to the memory card. I have nothing to lose, so I'll try another memory card in a different computer.

Thanks for your time.

SD

I don't think those are the issue if Troll could upload your files using your account. I did have some issues once myself, but it was from corrupted files from my chinese made digital camera.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 18:47
post one of the pics you are trying to upload as a post attachment here.

Cookerhiker
10-23-2007, 18:52
I've had a similar problem recently. ATTroll helped me but there was nothing at the WB end. I concluded it was my computer. I copied the files (all JPGs) onto a CD, used the public library computer, and uploaded successully.

But since the, I've uploaded from home successfully again. Go figure.:confused:

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 18:53
I don't know how to do that. Here is a URL. Is that what you mean?

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Mountain Crossings

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 18:55
No - I cannot open that up because it is on your hard drive - that really isn't a URL.

Do this, do a "Post Reply". Then when that comes up, go under the text block and look for "manage attachments" - that will bring up the pop-up to attach a file to a post.

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 19:03
This is what it says....Your file of 1.86 Mb exceeds the 588.3 Kb for this file type.

No - I cannot open that up because it is on your hard drive - that really isn't a URL.

Do this, do a "Post Reply". Then when that comes up, go under the text block and look for "manage attachments" - that will bring up the pop-up to attach a file to a post.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 19:04
Ohhhhh. OK

Well lets see then...

You said you uploaded this photo to someone else's site. Can you point me to that site?

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 19:11
OK. I just uploaded the pic in TJ I tried to send you as an attachment. www.trailjournals.com/SurvivorDave (http://www.trailjournals.com/SurvivorDave) . Go to photos and the last pic of 10/23/07 is a pic of Winton and his dog.

Ohhhhh. OK

Well lets see then...

You said you uploaded this photo to someone else's site. Can you point me to that site?

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 19:21
Just to let you know, all my pics are in JPEG.

Hikerhead
10-23-2007, 19:23
worked find for me. Try deleting all of the numbers that you're calling your picture.

refreeman
10-23-2007, 19:23
Survivor Dave,
The problem looks like it is on your computer; So try a different web browser. Firefox often works when IE doesn't.

Here is a link to download Firefox. It is free, and may people prefer it to IE.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 19:27
Thanks refreeman,
Rock is doing a bit of investigation in my TJ where it goes in easily. I used Internet Explorer since I've had the PC and haven't had a problem. Well see...

Thanks again,

SD

Survivor Dave,
The problem looks like it is on your computer; So try a different web browser. Firefox often works when IE doesn't.

Here is a link to download Firefox. It is free, and may people prefer it to IE.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 19:31
I just uploaded that pic from my pc: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19339&c=532

edit...

Try using FireFox - it can't hurt and may solve the issue. IE is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 19:39
OK guys,

I see where Hikerhead uploaded the pic and where Rock uploaded the pic in my account.
The suggestion by Hikerhead was to blow off Internet Explorer and Go with something like FireFox. Is this what I should do? Rock, I am assuming you put the picture in my account, is that correct?

How much crap do I need to gothrough as far as changing stuff?

SD

Sly
10-23-2007, 19:41
I just tried and got the same white screen. However, I'm sure my photo files are too large. What are the perimeters?

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know of a free program that would let me resize photos in a batch?

PS I'm using Firefox.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 19:41
Yes. There is an option (at least for me) to upload a pic to someone elses account.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 19:42
http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

Sly
10-23-2007, 19:44

Sweet, I'll check it out.

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 19:47
Rock,
You think I need to resize the folders in My Pictures. I was thinking if you were able to upload by storing in your PC and uploading, what is the difference? I use Picasa by Google when I put the memory card directly into the computer. Should I download the software you posted?

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 19:49
Well I don't think you need to re-size them but I could be wrong. I posted that link for Sly.

What you probably do need to try is FireFox.

rafe
10-23-2007, 19:51
Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know of a free program that would let me resize photos in a batch?

XnView. (xnview.com)

It's a nice photo browser as well. It does all kinds of batch operations. It'll make contact sheets, web pages, etc. Very cool. And free.

refreeman
10-23-2007, 19:58
I just tried and got the same white screen. However, I'm sure my photo files are too large. What are the perimeters?

PS I'm using Firefox.

What size are the pictures you are trying to upload? There is a max, 2560 x 1920, so the pictures' size may need to be reduced to be uploaded successfully. Most photo programs make resizing photos easy. I use photoshop and it works great.

So,
1. Check the dimensions of the size of the photos. (right click on one to get its properties and look for length and width.)

2. IF more than 2560 x 1920 reduce their size to 2560 x 1920 in a photo editing program.

If you need a program to convert the size of the photos here is a great full featured free program. Its called XnView. It is free for personal use but must be registered for professional use.

http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html

Direct download link for XnView:
http://download2.xnview.com/XnView-win-en.exe

Open the picture in XnView and go to IMAGE in the pull down menu and then click on RESIZE. Put 2560 in the width box and then click on OK.
Then go to FILE in the pull down menu and then click on SAVE AS and save the file with a different name.

Then you should be able to upload pictures if size was the problem.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 19:59
WhiteBlaze limit for JPG:

jpg - 3.14 MB - 1024 x 1024

Sly
10-23-2007, 20:01
Looks like Dave's files are too large. I was able to post the resized photo with no problem.

Nice program Rock, thanks.

dixicritter
10-23-2007, 20:02
Survivor Dave, I've had the same issue you are having from time to time and the only "fix" was to switch over to firefox temporarily to upload my pictures. After a while the problem just went away and I could upload again using Internet Explorer.

I can't tell you why this happens, but it just seems to happen from time to time. No rhyme... no reason... doesn't really even make sense. If I were you I would take the advice to give firefox a try. It works just like IE for the most part now so I don't think you'll have any troubles figuring it out. :)

Sly
10-23-2007, 20:08
What size are the pictures you are trying to upload? There is a max, 2560 x 1920, so the pictures' size may need to be reduced to be uploaded successfully. Most photo programs make resizing photos easy. I use photoshop and it works great.

Yeah, I know I can re-size them individually using my existing photo programs, but I have nearly 2000 photos I shot this summer on a Canon in super fine. I'll check your programs out but the one Rock posted works for batches which is what I'm looking for.

Organizing and editing these photos is going to take forever as it is.

Hikerhead
10-23-2007, 20:15
Yeah, I know I can re-size them individually using my existing photo programs, but I have nearly 2000 photos I shot this summer on a Canon in super fine. I'll check your programs out but the one Rock posted works for batches which is what I'm looking for.

Organizing and editing these photos is going to take forever as it is.

:) That's why I couldn't be a thru hiker. I take too damn many pictures.

Sly
10-23-2007, 20:23
The XnView program looks cool too, more features. :) Multiple photo programs, multiple players, which to keep, which to use, which to delete. :-?

Survivor Dave
10-23-2007, 21:02
Rock,

I'm hiking with you next January. You are brilliant. The resizing download was the answer. I have duplicate pics of everything now. One of regular size and the one that is resized.
That beer you said you were going to get me in Damascus...forget it! I'm bringing you a keg! WooHoo!!

Troll, thanks for the staying up late and helping out. I owe you one when I get to Maine.

Thanks to all on this thread who have helped out immensely. Hikerhead, thanks for the call.

I feel like I am giving an acceptance speech.

You all rock for sure.

That's what this site is about.

Hiker helping hiker...

Survivor Dave

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 21:07
This was easier than working through PM too.

rlharris
10-24-2007, 13:58

bdsizer is an excellent freeware program for (as its name says) resizing photographs. It is available for downloading from photo-freeware.net. Works on individual photos as well as on batches.

Uncle Silly
10-24-2007, 14:42
I'd be very surprised if Picasa didn't have some capability for resizing photos. (I haven't tried it yet but resize is a very common tool for photo applications.) If Picasa is really good, it'll have some sort of batch-resize where you can point it to a bunch of photos and have it automatically shrink them down to NxM or smaller. I'm sure you can do that with ACDSee (another great image viewer/manager/editor).

Cuffs
10-24-2007, 15:20
:) That's why I couldn't be a thru hiker. I take too damn many pictures.

I know just what you mean! We just did 7 days (2 were 1/2 days and 1 was raining) and I had almost 400 photos!

BlackCloud
10-25-2007, 09:36
Whenever having trouble uploading pix, connecting to websites, etc., I always change computers to determine if it my computer, the data, or the site I'm connecting to.

Just a thought, as Jack Handey would say......

Uncle Silly
10-25-2007, 13:02
Whenever having trouble uploading pix, connecting to websites, etc., I always change computers to determine if it my computer, the data, or the site I'm connecting to.

Standard troubleshooting rule. When trying to figure out a problem, identify the parts involved, replace a part, test; if the problem's still there, go back, replace a different part, test; repeat until all parts have been replaced or you've found the problem part.

Personally, in this situation, I always try a different browser on the same computer first; then I try a different computer.

Mr. Clean
10-26-2007, 05:11
I tried to upload pics to WB without luck, and also tried various ways to send a pic to Troll without luck, so I finally printed it and mailed it to him. I'll look into re-sizing the pics sometime and try again, maybe with Foxfire. My technical skills are somewhat lacking...

Uncle Silly
10-26-2007, 17:29
I tried to upload pics to WB without luck, and also tried various ways to send a pic to Troll without luck, so I finally printed it and mailed it to him. I'll look into re-sizing the pics sometime and try again, maybe with Foxfire. My technical skills are somewhat lacking...

Probably better to burn the images to CD and mail him that, then he doesn't have to bother scanning it in...

nitewalker
10-26-2007, 17:35
i just uploaded some pics yesterday in the gear dept and had no problems at all... it took about 10min for them to load , i guess thats a little slow. just be patient and let them load it will happen......

Uncle Silly
10-26-2007, 18:16
i just uploaded some pics yesterday in the gear dept and had no problems at all... it took about 10min for them to load , i guess thats a little slow. just be patient and let them load it will happen......

that's probably reasonable. without knowing what kind of connection you're on, it's impossible to tell. most broadband services are MUCH faster on the download (coming TO your computer) than on the upload (sending FROM your computer). so don't judge your upload speeds from how fast webpages load (ie, download speeds).

if you want a thorough speed test, go to http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest or http://www.speakeasy.com/speedtest -- these tools will give you a good idea of what your connection is capable of, on both the download and upload sides. you'll probably notice one is much faster than the other. :)

nitewalker
10-26-2007, 18:28
i just tested my speed and the download end was 2409kb/s:eek: and the upload was 347kb/s:( ... im not sure if this is good or bad.....:-?

Uncle Silly
10-26-2007, 18:45
i just tested my speed and the download end was 2409kb/s:eek: and the upload was 347kb/s:( ... im not sure if this is good or bad.....:-?

it's typical. that's a pretty good download speed for DSL, probably a little short of "good" for cable service. my DSL gets around 1200 down, 400 up. home broadband services almost never provide as much upload bandwidth as download -- you have to pay for commercial service if you want that. they don't want you running websites from your house. :)

Sly
10-26-2007, 19:18
www.speedtest.net