PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of pot.

RockStar
10-23-2007, 20:19
I am on my 4th pot. I am using the 3 piece Snow Peak titanium set. I thought The frying pan was up my ally...I was wrong. Due to my horrible backcountry pancake making skills, the dream of fluffy pancakes sliding easily out of the frying pan was crushed. :( It was more trouble than it was worth. However, the handles proved better for me than the ones on the Trek900 set. However, they still got hot due to my alcohol stove flame.

So I tried putting the heat resistant enamal on handles with not impressive results. Although maybe I just am no expert at the application process. yes, I did several coats.

So now I am in search of a pot that has handles, coated with something to protect my delicate hands.:o Titanium or at least non stick. Thanks to Two Speed I now have an amazing Trangia, though it is a bit weighty, its everything I dreamed of. :D Now the quest for the perfect pot.

And please don't give me the "use a bandana" thing. Im LAZY ok, I ADMIT IT. I want to grab the pot and move it or whatever! I am not AGAINST the seperate handle but, thats just one more thing to lose.

Help. :confused:

Flush2wice
10-23-2007, 20:22
Dang! I thought this was going to be a good thread.

chiefdaddy
10-23-2007, 20:26
Evernew Ultralight Titanium has a handle that will not burn you wit hany stove I have used. wow where did this font come from?

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 20:31
Evernew 0.9L

hopefulhiker
10-23-2007, 20:33
MSR Titan titanium pot has handles.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 20:35
Or get an ion stove. My wife uses that SnowPeak pot without issues.

dixicritter
10-23-2007, 20:36
I was just about to say I didn't have issues with the handles getting hot until Rock reminded me what stove I use...LOL.

Skidsteer
10-23-2007, 21:00
If you want to avoid buying a new pot but insist on the Trangia, try wrapping the SP handles with Rutland self-adhesive stove gasket (http://www.jumpcut.com/fullscreen?id=48FA486281CB11DCA96D000423CF037A&type=image). The hotter it gets, the better it sticks. I'm finding all kinds of uses for it.

BTW, I don't think Two Speed needs a bandana for his SP since he gave you the Trangia. ;)

RockStar
10-23-2007, 21:23
Now...off to obsess over the items mentioned above. Gonna get the gasket to play with for sure!

Two Speed
10-23-2007, 21:34
If you want to avoid buying a new pot but insist on the Trangia, try wrapping the SP handles with Rutland self-adhesive stove gasket (http://www.jumpcut.com/fullscreen?id=48FA486281CB11DCA96D000423CF037A&type=image). The hotter it gets, the better it sticks. I'm finding all kinds of uses for it.

BTW, I don't think Two Speed needs a bandana for his SP since he gave you the Trangia. ;)Ummm, dude, that was my SPARE Trangia. Still a Trangia cultist, despite your best efforts. :p

BTW RockStar, the windscreen has to be cut to length. Set it up with your pot, whatever you pot you settle on, and decide about how tall you'd like the windscreen to be. Cut it there.

All done. :banana

Skidsteer
10-23-2007, 21:51
Ummm, dude, that was my SPARE Trangia. Still a Trangia cultist, despite your best efforts. :p

BTW RockStar, the windscreen has to be cut to length. Set it up with your pot, whatever you pot you settle on, and decide about how tall you'd like the windscreen to be. Cut it there.

Well, I've got at least three and possibly four Trangias. I never can locate more than two at a time though....

RockStar
10-23-2007, 23:00

Glad you reminded me! Honestly, I am still faantasizing about Andouille(sp) with Zatarans. Definitely gonna be lots of those for dinners in my future!

take-a-knee
10-23-2007, 23:04
Those MSR Titan handles can get pretty hot, they need something on them also. Patrick, the Potomac Underquilt guy, has a thing on his website about spraying the pot handles with electrical coating.

RockStar
10-24-2007, 04:13
hrmmm didn't know that either...gonna check it out.

Two Speed
10-24-2007, 06:07
Well, I've got at least three and possibly four Trangias. I never can locate more than two at a time though....Ahhh, so you're a closet cultist. 'Tsokay, there's more than one Trangia cultist around these parts. ;)

Glad you reminded me! Honestly, I am still faantasizing about Andouille(sp) with Zatarans. Definitely gonna be lots of those for dinners in my future!Well, don't forget that I used that 1.3 litre pot to saute the andouille. Of course you could cook 'em over a small campfire and add them to a smaller pot of red beans & rice.

mrc237
10-24-2007, 07:09
I have a roll of thin insulation that fits over pot handles etc. and shrinks when heat is applied, works well. PM me if interested and I'll send you a piece.

chiefdaddy
10-24-2007, 07:10
evernew has a coating on the handle and little pot lid that has never burned me even when cooking cowboy style!

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 07:49
most people coat their pots with rice papers.....

Krewzer
10-24-2007, 08:44
Anone seen a titanium pot with a bail instead of handles. I'd sure like to have one.

I had an old aluminum pot I with a heavy wire bail on it for years. Switched to titanium, now I miss that old bail. The handles get in the way of my windscreen and most of that rubber/plastic stuff has burned away.

sweetpeastu
10-24-2007, 10:00
from what I've heard, titanium does tend to burn things...however its great for boiling water. Maybe on your next pancake adventure you should try a differnt pot...like some anodyzed aluminum? Sorry that was rather off topic. Duno bout the handle thing....I haven't tried my titanium kettle on either of my stoves yet...im hoping my handles wont get hot.

EWS
10-24-2007, 10:02
Anone seen a titanium pot with a bail instead of handles. I'd sure like to have one.

I had an old aluminum pot I with a heavy wire bail on it for years. Switched to titanium, now I miss that old bail. The handles get in the way of my windscreen and most of that rubber/plastic stuff has burned away.

Buy a Vargo or MSR TI pot, drill two holes and attached some wire, backpackinglight has TI wire if you want to be fancy about it.

EWS
10-24-2007, 10:14
from what I've heard, titanium does tend to burn things...

This can be true if you compare a thin-walled lightweight TI pot, to a thicker-walled pot of some other material. Any thin pot will burn your food quite easily if you're not paying attention.

Most TI pots are made from very thin TI. With TI backpacking pots the "burns food easily issue" has more to do with the thickness of the walls, than with the material; as in any thin-walled pot.

Basically, get a thick-walled pot if you want to reduce the chances of burning your food.

JERMM
10-24-2007, 14:18
What are the advantages/disadvantages of Ti vs. Al pots and pans?

I currently use MSR Blacklite Al non-stick, have been using them for 5 yrs. and very happy. I have had no problems using the detachable handle. The only problem I have is the pot and pan are bulkier than I would like for a thru hike. Although I can get all of my cooking equip. inside of the pot with lid on.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 14:28
I have an MRS Titan Kettle that I chose because of the design and because I don't like non-stick coatings. The K-Mart grease pot is hard to beat though.

This is from the MSR website:

http://www.msrcorp.com/support/cookware.asp

What are the cooking properties of titanium vs. aluminum vs. stainless steel?
Aluminum is the cookware of choice for backcountry gourmets. It conducts heat evenly, is easy to clean because of the non-stick coating, and is extremely efficient.
Stainless steel is very durable; perfect for when your pots take a lot of abuse. It lies somewhere in between aluminum and titanium in terms of its cooking ability/suitability.
Titanium cookware biggest advantage is its light weight. Titanium pots are ideal for boiling water, because they can be made with very thin walls. They tend to develop hot spots, however, making them less than ideal for cooking temperature sensitive foods like eggs or pancakes.
Cookware’s efficiency is dependent on its color and material. MSR testing has found that darker pots (esp. the bottom) are the most fuel efficient. Older cookware, which blackens through use, is more efficient than new cookware. Following is a list of MSR cookware, in their order of efficiency, for boiling water:
DuraLite cookware
Blackened Alpine cookware
Titan cookware
New BlackLite cookware (We suspect blackened BlackLite would be second to DuraLite, but was not tested at the date this was published.)
New Alpine cookware

rafe
10-24-2007, 14:29
What are the advantages/disadvantages of Ti vs. Al pots and pans?

Ti is marginally lighter, that's all.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 14:37
Ti is marginally lighter, that's all.

Yeah, but it's a LOT more expensive.

Gotta watch some of those titanium pots, too, they stick aluminum lids on them. No joke.

rafe
10-24-2007, 14:40
Yeah, but it's a LOT more expensive.

When you're a gram weenie, money is no object.

JERMM
10-24-2007, 14:47
App-Tater, thanks, thats exactly what I was needing to know, guess I'l stick to what I have and like

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 14:51
App-Tater, thanks, thats exactly what I was needing to know, guess I'l stick to what I have and like

How much does yours weigh though, and how many liters? You don't need more than 1 or 1.5 liters max and .85 has always been enough for me. Also, you probably don't need the frypan unless you really use it a lot and can't make do with the pot. Never saw a thru-hiker using a fry pan but I guess it happens.

Alligator
10-24-2007, 15:04
I used to cook pancakes in the nonstick frypan lid that was part of the trangia cookset (http://www.rei.com/product/657906). It's a fairly light pot and the nonstick is better than the type on my evernew ti pot. The nonstick is just on the lid though.

I've seen the pot/lid sold separate from the stove.

JERMM
10-24-2007, 15:05
I don't plan on taking the fry pan, not enough use to carry it, just the pot and lid, I've never needed more than 1L in the past and didn't use all that at once. Will need to get weight on pan/lid/handle, don't have a scale to weigh that light.

take-a-knee
10-24-2007, 15:11
I don't think titanium is as light as aluminum. It's advantage would be durability.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 15:22
Titanium used in backpacking pots is an alloy that is actually 60% aluminum. I use this in my stoves too. Titanium is something like 1.6 times as dense as aluminium, so the Ti alloy is about 1.24 times the weight of the same mass of aluminum. The bonus is it can be made into items that are thinner than aluminum but with better strength.

So yes, it does weigh more for the same mass, but in the case of the alloy it isn't by much, and the characteristics of the metal end up making that even less of an issue. If you compare a straight up pot of aluminum like the Evernew 0.9L with the AGG 3 cup pot (which are about the same size) The Ti version is 4.1 ounces (with handles) and the aluminum one is 3.8 ounces (without handles)

RockStar
10-24-2007, 19:52
evernew has a coating on the handle and little pot lid that has never burned me even when cooking cowboy style!
Was it a cowboy sized fire? :eek: Impressive if so.

from what I've heard, titanium does tend to burn things...however its great for boiling water. Maybe on your next pancake adventure you should try a differnt pot...like some anodyzed aluminum? Sorry that was rather off topic. Duno bout the handle thing....I haven't tried my titanium kettle on either of my stoves yet...im hoping my handles wont get hot.
It was bad. Like a horrible fiery car crash bad. :( I'm too turned off by the idea of pancakes on the trail now. I'll switch to pop tarts and cereal. :o

I have an MRS Titan Kettle that I chose because of the design and because I don't like non-stick coatings. The K-Mart grease pot is hard to beat though.

This is from the MSR website:

http://www.msrcorp.com/support/cookware.asp

What are the cooking properties of titanium vs. aluminum vs. stainless steel?
Aluminum is the cookware of choice for backcountry gourmets. It conducts heat evenly, is easy to clean because of the non-stick coating, and is extremely efficient.
Stainless steel is very durable; perfect for when your pots take a lot of abuse. It lies somewhere in between aluminum and titanium in terms of its cooking ability/suitability.
Titanium cookware biggest advantage is its light weight. Titanium pots are ideal for boiling water, because they can be made with very thin walls. They tend to develop hot spots, however, making them less than ideal for cooking temperature sensitive foods like eggs or pancakes.
Cookware’s efficiency is dependent on its color and material. MSR testing has found that darker pots (esp. the bottom) are the most fuel efficient. Older cookware, which blackens through use, is more efficient than new cookware. Following is a list of MSR cookware, in their order of efficiency, for boiling water:

DuraLite cookware
Blackened Alpine cookware
Titan cookware
New BlackLite cookware (We suspect blackened BlackLite would be second to DuraLite, but was not tested at the date this was published.)
New Alpine cookware
I heart you! I can imagine hiking with you AND Two Speed would qualify as a college level course on "All things: Why and How" :D

When you're a gram weenie, money is no object.

When you aren't a gram weenie...it's usually b/c you are afraid of math and so money becomes an object. ;) One that you trade for lots of objects and end up needing lighter objects, thus the quest continues. I'm fighting the urgge to join the cult!

AT-HITMAN2005
10-24-2007, 20:29
i used the MSR titan kettle and the handles defnitly gets hot, my beanie hat has the burn marks to prove it.

Two Speed
10-24-2007, 20:33
. . . It was bad. Like a horrible fiery car crash bad. :( I'm too turned off by the idea of pancakes on the trail now. I'll switch to pop tarts and cereal. :o Actually, no worse than I expected. My only criticism is that you didn't utter one of the Sacred Phrases, like "Hold mah beer fer a second while's I try somthin" or "Hey, hey, hey ya'll watch this!" You'll never infiltrate one of FD's tie-dyed overall wearin', foot washin', NASCAR watchin' type revivals if you don't memorize the Sacred Phrases.
I heart you! I can imagine hiking with you AND Two Speed would qualify as a college level course on "All things: Why and How" :D 'Kay, just for that there's gonna be a quiz at the end of the session.

RockStar
10-25-2007, 00:56
DOHHHHHH! :eek: Lets see *starts reading the encyclopedia* oh that'l never do...*starts reading Wikipedia*:cool:

whitefoot_hp
10-27-2007, 11:59
Those MSR Titan handles can get pretty hot, they need something on them also. Patrick, the Potomac Underquilt guy, has a thing on his website about spraying the pot handles with electrical coating.

The MSR handles do not get hot with all stoves. With my alcohol stove, the handles rest on the windscreen right at the point where the handles meet the pot, so the handles are virtually 'outside' the windscreen and protected enough to where they dont get hot. Now with the pocket rocket, different story, but is still a fifty fifty chance the handles may be too hot for my liking.