PDA

View Full Version : Television the Trail

rickb
10-23-2007, 21:02
This poll asks how many times you watched a TV (including video) on your thru hike.

You know, in a motel, bar etc.

Grampie
10-24-2007, 09:19
I spent thr night of Sept. 10, 2001 in the ski patrol hut on the top of Stratton Mountain. Inside was a black & white TV set that didn't work very well. After trying to watch it we decided it was better to leave it off. I left the hut around 9 on Sept. 11 without knowing what had happened in the real world. I wish I had watched TV that morning.

Footslogger
10-24-2007, 09:24
This poll asks how many times you watched a TV (including video) on your thru hike.

You know, in a motel, bar etc.

=====================================

Can't give you an exact number but from memory I would say around a half dozen times (give or take). Time permitting, when I overnighted in a town/motel I sometimes fired up the TV and caught a news update.

'Slogger

max patch
10-24-2007, 09:28
Every time I rented a motel room I'd stay up late and watch Morton Downy Jr kick some liberal azz.

Yahtzee
10-24-2007, 09:39
As many wednesday's as possible, my hiking partners and I would hike early and hard so we could reach a town between 12-2, book a room, eat, get many beers and watch backtobacktoback baseball games on ESPN.

Miss Janet
10-24-2007, 11:40
The number of times that certain videos have been watched in my house has reached scary level. More than a dozen hikers boasts to have watched 30+ movies. But the record will never be broken at 66. Movies on my Big 19 inch TV seem to be a highlight of 0day nonactivity.

Then number of people that freak when I tell them there is no TV... just videos tells me a lot of people are addicted to TV (or at least sports on TV) and are having withdrawal symptoms on the AT. Thank goodness these people can find treatment at the local hotels!

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 11:48
[quote=Miss Janet;432974]The number of times that certain videos have been watched in my house has reached scary level. More than a dozen hikers boasts to have watched 30+ movies. But the record will never be broken at 66. Movies on my Big 19 inch TV seem to be a highlight of 0day nonactivity.
quote]

I've sat through a screening of The Big Lebowski at Tom Lavardi's and according to the stories that has been shown in the hundreds of times there. So we sent him a copy of Blazing Saddles.

Uncle Silly
10-24-2007, 12:24
In '05, at Rob Byrd's place, Armageddon was the go-to movie. I saw it being watched more than a few times in the couple of days I was there.

I never sought out television while on the trail, but I'd watch if one was available. Mostly I saw sports or news while sitting in a pub. (This year I caught a lot of Red Sox baseball for some reason. Maybe cause I was hiking in New England? :D )

Marta
10-24-2007, 12:53
I didn't seek out TV or movies while I was hiking, but I did catch a few things. I sat through two complete soccer matches on Sky Sports at the Inn on the Long Trail one very rainy day. I wanted to get my fill of Guiness before heading to the Rutland hostel.

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 12:55
I didn't seek out TV or movies while I was hiking, but I did catch a few things. I sat through two complete soccer matches on Sky Sports at the Inn on the Long Trail one very rainy day. I wanted to get my fill of Guiness before heading to the Rutland hostel.

Guiness I understand. Soccer not so much. Did you lose a bet??:p :p

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 12:55

Twelve Tribes?

Marta
10-24-2007, 13:26
Guiness I understand. Soccer not so much. Did you lose a bet??:p :p

I learned to love them--both Guiness and "footie"--while we were living over there.

Twelve Tribes?

Yes, the no-alcohol, woman-hiker-has-luxurious-room-to-herself-but-also-no-one-to-talk-to hostel.

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 13:28
I learned to love them--both Guiness and "footie"--while we were living over there.

Yes, the no-alcohol, woman-hiker-has-luxurious-room-to-herself-but-also-no-one-to-talk-to hostel.

That made me laugh. Good folk, interesting place. Nothing a couple pints can't cure.

minnesotasmith
10-24-2007, 13:45
Half the time during my thruhike I'd stop by a motel room that had thruhikers in it, they'd have the Weather Channel on. Guess that had more immediate impact on their lives than anything on the news...:rolleyes:

CrumbSnatcher
04-28-2008, 19:11
i like to watch t.v. whenever i rent a motel room or in a sports bar. i never use the computor while thruhiking.(aviod it like the plague) thats a poll i'd like to see. i know some people really rely on the web. for corosponding,banking trail journals,etc.but to me thats not getting out there away from it all. IMO i think its sad/funny, i see it as a crutch. not trying to piss anyone off. would like to see a poll on computors too,like this t.v. thread. good hiking

Bob S
04-28-2008, 19:20
TV is highly overrated!

CrumbSnatcher
04-28-2008, 19:24
TV is highly overrated!
true dat! and overpriced!(cable)