PDA

View Full Version : Seedhouse SL1

LastHonestFool
10-23-2007, 22:28
How is it?

It's time to replace my OLD texsport tent....and I'm looking for something light, good in the rain, and easy to setup

before I get the obligated posts:

-no tarptents
-no hammocks (will be looking into one later)

any other suggestiong on tents would be welcome :)

copythat
10-23-2007, 22:32
what kind of specs are you looking for?

what's most important to you? weight? space? cost?:-?

rafe
10-23-2007, 22:39
Not from personal experience, but the SL1 strikes me as an excellent choice for a solo double-walled backpacking tent. AFAIK, it's the lightest in its class, with the possible exception of the Big Sky "Evolution" (which by most accounts is vaporware anyway.)

At some point I'll probably ditch my Tarptent Rainbow for the SL1.

Just a Hiker
10-23-2007, 22:41
I have the SL1, and I feel you that you will like it. The floor is delicate, but nothing a piece of tyvek wont fix.

EWS
10-23-2007, 23:52
Too short for me at 6'4"

LastHonestFool
10-24-2007, 00:34
@EWS: that's one of my concerns...I'm a big guy (lanky as hell, but big) at 6'3...and i'm trying to find a suitable new tent...

@just a hiker: if you don't mind my asking, what's your height and weight?

@copythat: weight is always a primary concern, but I do need something that will accomodate my size

thanks for the help fellas

Just a Hiker
10-24-2007, 00:38
@EWS: that's one of my concerns...I'm a big guy (lanky as hell, but big) at 6'3...and i'm trying to find a suitable new tent...

@just a hiker: if you don't mind my asking, what's your height and weight?

@copythat: weight is always a primary concern, but I do need something that will accomodate my size

thanks for the help fellas

I am 6'1'', and 210lbs.....I fit fine in the SL1; however, if I get any fatter:D

Jim

rafe
10-24-2007, 00:39
LHF, too bad about the "no Tarptents" stipulation. The Rainbow is super-light and absolutely palatial in terms of interior space. Quick setup, too. Maybe you need the BA SL2?? Or how about the tried & true (Sierra Designs) Clip Flashlight?

Just a Hiker
10-24-2007, 00:42
Before I forget....I was on EBay tonight and there were 3 SL1's on there in ther $125.00 to $150.00 range. All of them new, and one had a footprint with it.

Jim

LastHonestFool
10-24-2007, 00:46
Model: Clip Flashlight
Designer: Sierra Designs
Floor Space: 32 sq.ft.
Vestibule: 6 sq.ft.
Tent Weight: 4 lbs. 6 oz.
Minimum Weight: 3 lbs. 11 oz.bit on the heavy side though isn't it? almost 4 pounds?

hmmm I checked out the tarptent....it IS a nice tent, but I'd much rather be dri(er) with double walls

I'll have to compare the specs of the SL2 and SL1...

LastHonestFool
10-24-2007, 00:54
hmmm...okay so now I'm confused

the SL1's LENGTH is 90 inches, whereas the SL2's LENGTH is 84 inches...

the SL2 just has a bit more width and foot height

I think i'm taking a trip to a store to see if the guys will let me set up an SL1 to actually see if it'll fit my needs :)

LastHonestFool
10-24-2007, 00:55
@JustaHiker: thanks for pointing it out, I was scouring on there earlier and spotted them :)

rafe
10-24-2007, 01:02
bit on the heavy side though isn't it? almost 4 pounds?

Yeah, somewhat, for a solo tent. But you seem to indicate that you need a large-ish tent. (Not an issue for me as I'm 5'6" on a good day.)

hmmm I checked out the tarptent....it IS a nice tent, but I'd much rather be dri(er) with double walls.

Well, that's been my experience also, though the Tarptents have many loyal followers. My main problem in the Rainbow was condensation -- and even there, it was only an issue in heavy rain.

Other brands to check out are Eureka (eg. Spitfire), MSR (Hubba,) etc.

LastHonestFool
10-24-2007, 01:10
not extravagantley large....

but I need to fit :)

I know that doesn't help much, hahah

I'm not worrying so much about the width inside the tent, just enough room for a sleeping bag/mat and me will suffice. :)

EWS
10-24-2007, 02:03
If you have to have a tent, look at the MSR Hubba the walls are more vertical, so you can fit despite the footprint of the SL1 being similar.

woodsy
10-24-2007, 04:09
How is it?

It's time to replace my OLD texsport tent....and I'm looking for something light, good in the rain, and easy to setup

I'm not worrying so much about the width inside the tent, just enough room for a sleeping bag/mat and me will suffice. :)

SL1 owner here,
It's light, compact,dry,quick setup, just enough room for a sleeping bag/mat and llimited room for some gear stashed inside with room for pack and boots in vestibule.Overhead pocket for headlamp.Takes up space in pack about size of 2 Liter jug. 3 point stance design, vents well when staked out.
Drawbacks:
The vestibule opening (when open)allows rain(when raining) into front of
tent. The floor material could have been a bit thicker but has been mentioned, a piece of Tyvek for added protection works. The stakes suk.
Some sacrifices for light, great lil solo backpacker.

gearfreak
10-24-2007, 09:24
SL2 lover here. At 6'3" and 200 lbs. I opted for a little extra space over the SL1. I've had my pack inside when the weather looked questionable with ample room. I bought some 3/4 oz. ripstop from Hang-em High Fabrics and made my own footprint that now extends out to the end of the vestibule. Grommets on the corners with lightweight cord attached to reach out to the stakes have this weighing in at 5.6 oz. I've also replaced the stakes with DAC Eternal aluminum hook top stakes weighing 0.5 oz. each. IMO, this is an outstanding shelter and the SL1 would be also. Be sure that the Seedhouse deals you're finding on eBay are for the SL and not it's predecessor. :cool:

Fabric: http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-high/ushop/index.cgi?ID=B32MWD&task=show&cat=FABRIC

Stakes: http://www.rei.com/product/627482?vcat=REI_SEARCH

shoe
10-24-2007, 23:29
SL1 hater here :)

I hated the front entrance.
At 5"6" my head brushed the top. Just not enough room to sit up for me.

Inside room is nice though.

That's all I have to say.

Good luck on whatever you decide

take-a-knee
10-25-2007, 00:26
I don't see how an SL1 is an improvement over a tarptent. It is just extra netting, condensation will drip through the netting, and occasionally you'll get a little condensation with any tent.

rafe
10-25-2007, 08:22
I don't see how an SL1 is an improvement over a tarptent.

Do you have experience with both?

take-a-knee
10-25-2007, 13:32
No I've never used those tents, I have used a tarp(usually a poncho) a lot and I've never had a condensation problem except on those dewpoint/fog mornings when everything gets wet. I do have an older North Face Tadpole that is similar to the SLI mesh wise. When I'm in it by myself I never have a condensation problem, when my daughter and I both use it we'll usually get some condensation if I close the vestibule. The bottom of the fly gets wet and when you bump the tent you get dripped on, it is not huge deal really. As long as a down bag has a DWR shell it really isn't a problem even then I don't think. Gossamer Gear sells a version of the old Shire's tarptent that weighs a pound and a half, my point is I think it'll do what an UL tent will do for half the weight.

gaga
10-25-2007, 13:59
I use eureka! since the eighties,backpacking whit my father in Europe, now i have this: http://www.gearforadventure.com/Eureka_Spitfire_Solo_Backpacking_Tent_p/1450.htm
check out the features for the $$$- (10 pegs that come whit it are heavy). And a 2p. north face kestrel, gift!
Just suggesting not imposing. :D:rolleyes:

Deadeye
10-25-2007, 15:48
Just my two cents: regardless of whether you choose a TarpTent or SL, the two-person models are worth the slight extra weight. I use an older version TarpTent Squall - just a few ounces more than the one-man Virga, but that extra room is worth the weight when you're sitting out a storm, or if you're just big or clumsy. I'm not that big at 6', 180#, but plenty clumsy. Both good products, can't really go wrong.

take-a-knee
10-25-2007, 16:37
Just my two cents: regardless of whether you choose a TarpTent or SL, the two-person models are worth the slight extra weight. I use an older version TarpTent Squall - just a few ounces more than the one-man Virga, but that extra room is worth the weight when you're sitting out a storm, or if you're just big or clumsy. I'm not that big at 6', 180#, but plenty clumsy. Both good products, can't really go wrong.

That Gossamer Gear Tarp Tent is the old Squall in a new fabric, it's size is certainly another plus as you mentioned. What sort of condensation problems have you experienced, if any? Also, is there anything you dislike or would change with your Squall?