PDA

View Full Version : Finally some good rainfall

Tennessee Viking
10-23-2007, 22:48
Doesn't this look pretty. Finally some rain. But we have a long way to go to bring water levels back to normal.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2482&stc=1&d=1193193962

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 22:53
Steady rain all day and expected some more tonight. Good deal.

LastHonestFool
10-23-2007, 23:21
link doesn't work for me

we were supposed to get rain tonight, and we didn't

set up one of my older tents in the backyard today in hopes of seeing how it'll do in the rain...guess I'm waiting until thursday

it's supposed to rain until Friday here...pretty much constantly :)

Pennsylvania Rose
10-24-2007, 11:58
Been raining here steadily for 2 days!!! My yard is waterlogged for the first time in months and months! My kids danced in it yesterday. We're headed out after school to see the forgotten spectacle of water in the creeks that feed our reservoir - they've been dry since June, and the reservoir is down 9 feet.

But just because I always have to complain about something - the dog keeps leaving muddy footprints all over the house.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 12:03
We are less than an inch away from achiving normal rainfall amount for October - with rain in the forecast, so maybe we will make it. What we still need is above average rainfall steady for the next few months to make it back without going too much too fast. I think we are like 18" behind for the year.

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 12:42
But just because I always have to complain about something - the dog keeps leaving muddy footprints all over the house.

See? Droughts aren't all bad.

Ewker
10-24-2007, 12:50
Over the last two days Nashville has had 3.54″ of rain. The month of October we have had 4.25" of rain making it the wettest month since May 2006. We are still over 13″ behind for the year.

Pennsylvania Rose
10-24-2007, 13:36
See? Droughts aren't all bad.

Yeah - I only had to cut my grass 5 times all summer:sun

I'm not sure exactly how many inches behind we've been, but where I live is right on the border between "extreme" and "exceptional" on the drought index map. The watershed that fills our reservoir lies in the "exceptional" area.

rafe
10-24-2007, 13:59
Yeah - I only had to cut my grass 5 times all summer:sun

Heh. I got back from my long hike this summer and asked my wife, "So, who'd you get to mow the lawn while I was gone?" Her answer: "I didn't."

shelterbuilder
10-24-2007, 15:13
We had some rain overnight and some (sporadically) today, but more is on the way. Thank God; still no water out there at most of the shelters. I was out at Eagle's Nest shelter yesterday and the stream is still dry.

Summit
10-28-2007, 17:41
Just finished my Dick's Creek, GA -> NOC hike and was "out there" during the deluge. Tuesday night it rained so hard and long that the couple and myself in Big Spring shelter had to shout face-to-face to talk!!! I did Albert Mtn. climb in hard rain and in a cloud (Good thing I have been there many times and seen beautiful views before).

The streams in the Nantahalas are flowing pretty good due to this rain system, but springs, especially at shelters are still NOT FLOWING. I will post my "water report" in the Trail News forum.

Wonder
10-28-2007, 20:34
I was finally able to hear the river in Damascus from my apartment for the first time since I moved ther in June! I take this as a VERY good water sign

Lone Wolf
10-28-2007, 20:36
I was finally able to hear the river in Damascus from my apartment for the first time since I moved ther in June! I take this as a VERY good water sign

it's just runoff. the recent rain really has no effect

Mother Nature
10-29-2007, 00:32
As LW says, it is only runoff. Parts of north GA are about 25 inches below normal. It's going to take a couple of "monsoons" to charge the springs.

A GATC workcrew assisted Smokestack and me in digging in new waterbars on our section last weekend north of Blue Ridge Gap (just shy of Bly Gap). I couldn't believe how dry the duff and soil were! We needed to cut down about 2 feet. Once we broke through roots we found the soil was dry as powder and light as a feather. We had a breeze and it was so dry and fluffy it just blew off the shovel.

I found two new campfire "rings" a foot or two off the trail near blowdowns and heavy underbrush. Miracle they didn't set fire to the woods.

TOW
10-29-2007, 04:11
no rain this morning but what little we had was great for the moment. it's darn chilly here right now, yahoo weather says it's 36 right now. the heat is on...................