PDA

View Full Version : hiking plans on hold

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 08:03
:confused: im wondering if their are any other people who feel the need to put off an upcoming hike because of the BOSTON RED SOX being in the world series. i have put all my plans on hold. i am lucky because i have my own business which runs may 1st to columbus weekend in october. after that i am free for the winter so to put off my hike for a wekk is not too big a deal. i wil just pic it up after the series is over..... GO SOX:banana ..................NITEWALKER:datz

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 08:05
i put off hiking when The Masters tounament is on TV

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 08:10
I go hiking because the Masters is on.

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 08:10
i watch golf but not a real lot... its funny what one person may view as important as opposed to another person..... peace

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 08:13
i watch golf but not a real lot... its funny what one person may view as important as opposed to another person..... peace

i really could give two s**ts about college football. i'm in the middle of VA Tech an UT country.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 08:19
we did take a day off in Salisbury Ct. back in 2000 to watch the 7th game of the WS Mets/Yankees at an expensive inn

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 08:19
yea im not too much into the college sports scene as i was back in the day. didnt mike vick go to VT? im in UCONN country as you can tell by my location....

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 08:20
didnt mike vick go to VT?

yup but now he does endorsements for Hush Puppies

Daddy Longlegs
10-24-2007, 08:21
I never put anything on hold for sports or what is on TV. If you really need to then listen to it on the radio or record it and watch it when you get back. The world does not revolve around TV. Get outside and live alittle! Now where did I put that remote and why is youtube running slow.:D

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 08:22
Lmao. That Was Great!!!

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 08:23
I never put anything on hold for sports or what is on TV. If you really need to then listen to it on the radio or record it and watch it when you get back. The world does not revolve around TV. Get outside and live alittle! Now where did I put that remote and why is youtube running slow.:D

CAN ANY1 RECOMEND A RADIO THAT IS PRACTICAL ON THE TRAIL?

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 08:24
I record using that fancy TVO stuff when I want to see a game. Then I can fast forward through the comercials while cleaning my gear

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 08:27
CAN ANY1 RECOMEND A RADIO THAT IS PRACTICAL ON THE TRAIL?

i use AM/FM headphones from Radio Shack. $30. 1 AAA lasts over 2 weeks with heavy use

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 08:31
i use AM/FM headphones from Radio Shack. $30. 1 AAA lasts over 2 weeks with heavy use

how is the reception up in the mtns? im sure it must vary depending the areas you have visited:cool: ......i guess there are no guarantees it will pick up a station that is carrying the game.....:mad:

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 08:32
great reception

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 08:33
The Smokies has great reception. Think about it - you are up high so line of site is good in a lot of places.

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 08:36
true... i am used to being up in the whites and some of those shelters are really tucked away in the woods. alot of times i hear people say that reception is spotty in those areas.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 08:38
I imagine if you camp in a cove you would have poor reception for some stations. But with a fairly good FM radio you should get good reception most of the time.

In the Smokies you can get good FM. 91.9 for NPR and 103.5 for good rock.

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 08:43
Npr Rocks... I Love Public Radio, It Must Be A Hiker Trait!!!!!!!!!

icemanat95
10-24-2007, 08:51
I think college and minor league athletics are a heck of a lot more interesting than pro events simply because you've got guys who are working their tails off to get to the big show rather than a bunch of overpaid jerks trying not to get injured so they can protect their mega paychecks.

I enjoy a good golf tournament as well. Golf is a game of precise geometry, physics and applied ballistics played with imprecise instruments. Its amazing how much precision those guys get out of such an imprecise combination of tools.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 08:52
Npr Rocks... I Love Public Radio, It Must Be A Hiker Trait!!!!!!!!!
I think so.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-24-2007, 09:04
yup but now he does endorsements for Hush Puppies::: Prune-faced dino reports LW for making fun of her shoes :D :::
I imagine if you camp in a cove you would have poor reception for some stations. But with a fairly good FM radio you should get good reception most of the time.

In the Smokies you can get good FM. 91.9 for NPR and 103.5 for good rock.If Country is more to your liking, 107.7 also gets reception in the Smokies. From Davenport Gap to up toward Johnson City, TN, try 90.3 for NPR and 94.1 for a mix of music types and 103.1 for country.

In coves, try using the AM band - especially at night. You will receive far more stations this way. The down side is the quality of the musical offerings tends to be questionable on AM radio. However, you can get tons of sports coverage and talk radio.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 09:12
yup but now he does endorsements for Hush Puppies

::: Prune-faced dino reports LW for making fun of her shoes :D :::

He has a dog food out too now: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33ys3_snl-angry-dog_fun

Footslogger
10-24-2007, 09:27
i really could give two s**ts about college football. i'm in the middle of VA Tech an UT country.

====================================

Funny how things around the states are different. We have NO pro sports in Wyoming so college sports is the most watched TV going. That said ...we typically don't postpone hikes for college sports. We just record the game and watch it later:)

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 10:05

The Masters? Is that the only Bait that will keep you off the trail?
Hahahahahahah. . . I couldn't resist. God I crack myself up.:p

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 10:07
The Masters? Is that the only Bait that will keep you off the trail?
Hahahahahahah. . . I couldn't resist. God I crack myself up.:p

you're so funny. you ought to go on stage. it leaves in 10 minutes. :)

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 10:11
you're so funny. you ought to go on stage. it leaves in 10 minutes. :)

OF course you're reffering to the last stage out of town, correct?:)

Jan LiteShoe
10-24-2007, 10:17

My condolences!
:)

(Hey, this multi-quote thing really works!)

I go hiking because the Masters is on.

Ha ha. Me too.
Ditto on the Masters - or the Women's Open, or the US Open, or...or... anything else that clogs up the traffic circle, bars and eateries around here during touro-golf season.... sez Jan from Sou.Pines, nearest neighbor to golf mecca Pinehurst.

On the other hand, we could have a golf Ruck. My place. I'll be hiking, but I can leave the light on! :D

envirodiver
10-24-2007, 10:21
He has a dog food out too now: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33ys3_snl-angry-dog_fun

Everyone should quit dogging Mike Vick. He'll beat the rap, I heard his lawyer is a real pitbull.

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 10:22
My condolences!
:)

(Hey, this multi-quote thing really works!)

Ha ha. Me too.
Ditto on the Masters - or the Women's Open, or the US Open, or...or... anything else that clogs up the traffic circle, bars and eateries around here during touro-golf season.... sez Jan from Sou.Pines, nearest neighbor to golf mecca Pinehurst.

On the other hand, we could have a golf Ruck. My place. I'll be hiking, but I can leave the light on! :D

Sweet. Can we play in the house?

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 10:26
Ditto on the Masters - or the Women's Open, or the US Open, or...or... anything else that clogs up the traffic circle, bars and eateries around here during touro-golf season.... sez Jan from Sou.Pines, nearest neighbor to golf mecca Pinehurst

i was in your neck of the woods back in sept. stayed at Little River Golf & Resort in Carthage and played for 5 days on area courses

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 10:29
Everyone should quit dogging Mike Vick. He'll beat the rap, I heard his lawyer is a real pitbull.

yea but he is barking up the wrong tree

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 10:34

he's been hounded enuf over this

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 10:39
he's been hounded enuf over this

True, he's lost a lot of friends and admirerers over this. Even Snoop Dogg won't return his calls.

deadhorsejoe
10-24-2007, 11:27
My son and I took a sirius stelitto (spelling wrong) satellite radio on a section hike several weeks back and it worked great for listening to college football on a Saturday night up on a ridge in North Georgia.

partinj
10-24-2007, 12:38
I use to like sports but not any more it noting but a money game any time you have to pay 65.00 for tickets that are so high you can't see anything no thank

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 12:41
True, he's lost a lot of friends and admirerers over this. Even Snoop Dogg won't return his calls.

also i heard snoop got in touch with little bow wow and told him what had happened..;)

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 12:45
also i heard snoop got in touch with little bow wow and told him what had happened..;)

Hopefully Vick will be ostricized for the rest of his life and spend his final years homeless walking the streets lamenting aloud how he once was a superstar and how he built this city, you know. . . a crazy Old Yeller.:rolleyes:

envirodiver
10-24-2007, 15:18
If he does get off they'll probably keep him on a short leash.

Anyway I'll still hang with him...he's my dog.

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 15:28
If he does get off they'll probably keep him on a short leash.

Anyway I'll still hang with him...he's my dog.

After some time in the pokey you may have to relegate him to being your beeyotch.

amigo
10-24-2007, 16:51
Well, I missed Game 5 of the Indians v Red Sux last weekend to hike part of the Quehanna Trial (PA) with my daughter.

Based on the score, and the continuing ugliness into Game 6, and the fun with my daughter, I am glad I went hiking.

I can't understand why anyone finds it interesting to root for a team like the Red Sux. With the second highest payroll in MLB, the only real surprise is that they don't win every game.Y-A-W-N-N-N-NNNN.

Go Rockies!!!!!!

mudhead
10-24-2007, 17:00
Glad you had fun.

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 17:47
Well, I missed Game 5 of the Indians v Red Sux last weekend to hike part of the Quehanna Trial (PA) with my daughter.

Based on the score, and the continuing ugliness into Game 6, and the fun with my daughter, I am glad I went hiking.

I can't understand why anyone finds it interesting to root for a team like the Red Sux. With the second highest payroll in MLB, the only real surprise is that they don't win every game.Y-A-W-N-N-N-NNNN.

Go Rockies!!!!!!

hey amigo i see you are from ohio:( , does that explain your dislike of the red sox:-? ..i always had your pessimism up until the day my sox won in 04. how sweet it was:banana :banana ..if your lucky enough you will one day get to experience your team wining:D .....peace out , nitewalker

p.s. im glad your hike was enjoyable....