PDA

View Full Version : VA Creeper to Whitetop

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 08:51
I know someone has this infromation...

If I take the VA creeper out of Damascus and use that to get to Whitetop how far is that? I know if you do the AT it is about 20 miles. If I remember right you can take the Creeper to somewhere near there and then get on the AT to get on the mountain - I don't recall the Creeper actually going to Whitetop

hopefulhiker
10-24-2007, 08:57
At some points the AT and the Creeper trail are the same trail...

rafe
10-24-2007, 08:58
It was a looong time ago. But I remember the Creeper meets up with the AT about 8 miles (??) north of Damascus. That's where I got back on the AT.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 09:00
I know that. I've hiked that section of the AT - that is why I am asking. I'm thinking that the Creeper would be a better trail for my wife as a multi-day trip than the AT is. She has some medical issues, so a short (say 15 miles or so) hike that has little elevation changes and lots of good campsite possibilities is a good option for her.

Creek Dancer
10-24-2007, 09:08
Ewker and I rode this trail a few months ago. And yes, it goes through Whitetop. We also commented on how this would be the perfect trail for someone new to backpacking or someone who would likes to have plenty of campsites along the way. If you start at the top, it's downhill almost all the way into Damascus!

trippclark
10-24-2007, 09:12
I know that. I've hiked that section of the AT - that is why I am asking. I'm thinking that the Creeper would be a better trail for my wife as a multi-day trip than the AT is. She has some medical issues, so a short (say 15 miles or so) hike that has little elevation changes and lots of good campsite possibilities is a good option for her.

Here is a map of the Creeper Trail from Damascus to Whitetop
http://www.vacreepertrail.com/trailMaps/DamWhitetop.pdf

As I recall, it is 17 miles from the Whitetop Station to Damascus. Of course this is plus or minus a bit depending on what point in Damascus you are starting from.

D'Artagnan
10-24-2007, 09:19

If I take the VA creeper out of Damascus and use that to get to Whitetop how far is that? I know if you do the AT it is about 20 miles. If I remember right you can take the Creeper to somewhere near there and then get on the AT to get on the mountain - I don't recall the Creeper actually going to Whitetop

Isn't Saunders shelter (or just a little south of there) about the last place you can jump back on the AT from the Creeper? Seems like this is just before Taylors Valley. From there I think it would be about 7 1/2 miles. Would Wolf know?

D'Artagnan
10-24-2007, 09:20
I'm assuming you're talking about the "actual" Whitetop -- not Whitetop Station on the Creeper.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 09:22
I'm talking about Whitetop mountain near buzzard rocks.

Skyline
10-24-2007, 09:27
The Creeper doesn't go near Whitetop Mt. near Buzzard Rocks. The "Whitetop" on the Creeper Trail is Whitetop Station.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 09:30

It's 10 miles on the Creeper to Creek Junction where the AT comes in then another 7 on the AT to Whitetop. A savings of 4 miles

Local
10-24-2007, 09:35

Rock, you would take the Creeper Trail out of Damascus (mile marker 16 on the trail) and have an easy walk up to where the Creeper splits off to the AT toward Whitetop. This would be between mile markers 26 and 27. It is a pretty good slog up the mountain from that point. If it's just a good gentle-graded hike you are looking for, I suggest staying on the Creeper Trail for as long as you want, then going off the trail to one of the many campsites along the way. It is 17 miles from Damascus to Whitetop Station (not Whitetop Mountain) and there are many good campsites near the trail.

The link below is to a photo essay of all the bridges and trestles on the Creeper, many of which you would be crossing.

http://www.vacreepertrail.us/trestles.html

The higher page numbers are of the area you would be covering.

The hike to Buzzard Rocks from the VCT would be strenuous.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 09:42

i am the king of campsites in this area. i will assist y'all with campsite choosing, slacking, Makers Mark delivery, whatever.

Tabasco
10-24-2007, 09:59
I grew up on Maker's Mark. Do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of Wild Turkey RARE BREED. Not WT 80, not WT101, but RARE BREED.

A splash of that and a couple of ice cubes is mighty fine sippin.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 10:24
It's 10 miles on the Creeper to Creek Junction where the AT comes in then another 7 on the AT to Whitetop. A savings of 4 miles
That is what I was looking for.

Rock, you would take the Creeper Trail out of Damascus (mile marker 16 on the trail) and have an easy walk up to where the Creeper splits off to the AT toward Whitetop. This would be between mile markers 26 and 27. It is a pretty good slog up the mountain from that point. If it's just a good gentle-graded hike you are looking for, I suggest staying on the Creeper Trail for as long as you want, then going off the trail to one of the many campsites along the way. It is 17 miles from Damascus to Whitetop Station (not Whitetop Mountain) and there are many good campsites near the trail.

The link below is to a photo essay of all the bridges and trestles on the Creeper, many of which you would be crossing.

http://www.vacreepertrail.us/trestles.html

The higher page numbers are of the area you would be covering.

The hike to Buzzard Rocks from the VCT would be strenuous.I was planning going the other way - park near Dots and get a shuttle to Whitetop and hike back to the car.

i am the king of campsites in this area. i will assist y'all with campsite choosing, slacking, Makers Mark delivery, whatever.
I plan to. Thanks LWolf.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 10:28
I was planning going the other way - park near Dots and get a shuttle to Whitetop and hike back to the car.

park at my place and get a free shuttle of course

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 10:42
I thought Dots was where you parked ;)

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 10:46
I thought Dots was where you parked ;)

i park my bicycle there

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 10:48
I plan to slack that in March. I recall a campsite around Whitetop. I'll take you up on that.

Local
10-24-2007, 14:29
Rock, attached is a google earth image of the Creeper from Damascus to Whitetop. If you hike on a weekend anytime soon be prepared for crowds.

http://www.vacreepertrail.us/googleearth.html also has some images.

joec
10-24-2007, 17:01
My wife and I did Summit Cut to Damascus a few year back. My wife gave out thinking about climbing the last mountain (White Mtn?) and we took the creeper into Damascus. It was easy but not nearly as pretty as the AT.

hopefulhiker
10-24-2007, 17:03
I got caught in one of the worst lighning/thunder storms in my life up there on White Top.. It is a bald....

BlackCloud
10-25-2007, 09:24
For the record, I regard the VA Creeper Trail as one of the finest Rails-to-Trails in the country.

I've done over 100 RTs, and this one is my favorite. If you own a Mtn bike or hybrid, take the shuttle to Whitetop Station & ride it. If you don't own one, then rent one and do it..........

mixinmaster
10-25-2007, 10:56
For the record, I regard the VA Creeper Trail as one of the finest Rails-to-Trails in the country.

I have said it and had it said to me. I have met people on FL's RT's that, when learning of where I was raised, have said it again. With that said, I can say that as wonderful as it is, it is night and day different from what it was even 5 years or so ago. Can you say " Traffic Jam" ? Many years ago it was like the Van Fleet in FL. Hardly anyone on it, especially during the weekdays. Still, a must do for anyone looking to do. And I'll say no more.:D

Critterman
10-26-2007, 09:00
I am going from whitetop to abingdon next week, taking it slow planning to camp two nights. Any suggestions for good campsites ?

Almost There
10-26-2007, 09:52
With football season almost over for me, am starting to think about my next hike, Wolf, I know we have talked about this before but I can't remember, how accessible is Scales, I want to possibly take my wife on her first 20+ mile hike and was thinking about doing Scales SB to Damascus come the spring, most likely, otherwise would have to get on near Apple Orchard. Feel free to chime in or PM me with your thoughts. Anyone else can chime in as well.

BTW, Rock, I think this a perfect area to hike with a wife who doesn't thrive on rugged trails, but enjoys being outdoors in nature, nonetheless.

Lone Wolf
10-26-2007, 10:08
With football season almost over for me, am starting to think about my next hike, Wolf, I know we have talked about this before but I can't remember, how accessible is Scales, I want to possibly take my wife on her first 20+ mile hike and was thinking about doing Scales SB to Damascus come the spring, most likely, otherwise would have to get on near Apple Orchard. Feel free to chime in or PM me with your thoughts. Anyone else can chime in as well.

BTW, Rock, I think this a perfect area to hike with a wife who doesn't thrive on rugged trails, but enjoys being outdoors in nature, nonetheless.

Scales is accessed by a ROUGH 4 mile forest service road. no problem if you have high clearance