PDA

View Full Version : Gear list Roast

Freeleo
10-24-2007, 10:04
This is what i have come up with through trial and tribulation
Please feel free to comment or throw suggestions out there
Not everything on the lsit will be carried at all times
....i will hit the trail in november for the first time with this gear and would welcome any comments or critique for possible additions or changes....all has been tested on hikes to my backyard at night...what do you think??

good day

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 10:09
This is what i have come up with through trial and tribulation
Please feel free to comment or throw suggestions out there
Not everything on the lsit will be carried at all times
....i will hit the trail in november for the first time with this gear and would welcome any comments or critique for possible additions or changes....all has been tested on hikes to my backyard at night...what do you think??

good day

Looks like a pretty good set up. You may, however, want to carry a few of your favorite hardcover books, some fresh produce, carrots, apples and get yourself a nice cast iron skillet.:rolleyes:

Fiddler
10-24-2007, 10:55
Get rid of the pillow, use your extra clothing in a stuff sack. You don't need the plate either. Eat out of the pot and no plate to wash. Get a lexan (or some other durable plastic) spoon - you will get tired of that spork after a short while.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 11:08
You might want ear plugs.

I don't understand the Rainbow & tarp & bugnet, are those things you haven't decided?

Don't trust the manufacturer's weight if you want to be exact.

i agree about the spork. The titanium ones are better than the fast food ones but they still don't serve very well as a spoon for eating soupy stuff or getting that last little bit out of the corners of your pot. A lexan spoon serves the purpose well and is lighter at 1/10 the cost. You will probably never want a fork.

Also, if you wear orange soccer socks, I can pretty much guess what your trail name will be.

Freeleo
10-24-2007, 12:50
i might be using the tarp until the temps start dropping......still undecided

ear plugs make perfect sense

i figured the orange sock might fair well during hunting season or at night sans pants for leg warmth toward the end of the hike...thankfully i will already have a trail name that will hoepfully trump all

i still need to get a few nights in under the tarp and wonder if i would want a bivy then if i use that for part of the thru attempt???any thoughts

havent weighed everything officially....and i think me keeps the pillow on there cuase i love it..

please tell me more

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 12:53
I think you'll be so happy with the Rainbow that a tarp and bivy and bugnet aren't worth bothering with.

Your spreadsheet has two columns of gear, maybe you could redo it into one column of gear (and one for weights) and post it as text instead of an attached file. I didn't mind opening it on a Mac but if I were running Windows I wouldn't have touched it.

Freeleo
10-24-2007, 12:56
thanks i will work on that

Just a Hiker
10-24-2007, 13:08
Hey there Freeleo! How are things in Cincy? Looks like you have been working hard on your gear. You have a Suunto watch on your list with a maybe by it; does that mean you just haven't purchased it yet? I was wondering because my current watch just crapped the bed, and I wondering if that was a good watch to buy? I don't need GPS, but I heard those were good/sturdy watches, and I am hard on gear. Let me know if you get it.

Jim

Freeleo
10-24-2007, 13:27
JAH,

i like calling you JAH..its rather godly hey.......i have yet to aquire anything not highlighted green...everything in yellow i still need to get..anything else im not sure about

i am contemplating the watch and/or GPS but am not sure about it......so i cant speak for it other than i researched it and the price to funtion factor seemed to suit my needs if i go that route

Cinci is rainy three days straight......and i love it......jsut saw the black crowes monday and dylan last week at Taft theatre.....dylan fans need to stand up more:rolleyes: .......that is it for me until a three day trip in november

good day