PDA

View Full Version : Drop your shorts.

sylvan
10-24-2007, 11:28
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new hiking short. I've been using Patagonia Baggies for going on a decade now, and while they're great shorts and last forever, I'm looking for a short that has a particular feature:

I want an uncovered elastic band around the waist. Anyone who's used Patagonia Silkweight Boxers (now called Active Classic Boxers) will understand what I'm talking about here. This type of elastic band doesn't bunch up and dig in to your sides throughout the day.

I'm not much into using a hip-belt on a pack, but on the occassions when I do those folds caused by elastic really dig in .. and it hurts by the end of the day.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks!

jlb2012
10-24-2007, 11:53
go commando - much more comfortable

Uncle Silly
10-24-2007, 12:10
i hate hiking shorts, except when i'm hiking, so i don't have a favorite brand. when i have to replace them i look for the right kinds of pockets. pockets are the make-or-break feature for me -- i like the cargo-short type pockets, but it always comes down to trying them out before i'm truly satisfied.

The Cheat
10-24-2007, 12:10

lol, not those shorts!

jlb2012
10-24-2007, 12:40
Oh - ooops - I be dog

nitewalker
10-24-2007, 12:43
cargo shorts because of there pockets. my convertible pants become cargo shorts, hmmmm how convieient.....

Lyle
10-24-2007, 13:07

Could, but then would be limited to hiking on June 21st. Would take a long time to complete a thru.:sun

sylvan
10-24-2007, 15:03
Thank you all for lending your expertise to helping me find a new type of hiking short. I'm sure all this information will drastically shorten the amount of time that I must spend looking to find what I'm after.

Perhaps if I wanted a real answer I should have asked in the Straight Forward forum?

mudhead
10-24-2007, 16:33
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new hiking short. I've been using Patagonia Baggies for going on a decade now, and while they're great shorts and last forever, I'm looking for a short that has a particular feature:

I want an uncovered elastic band around the waist. Anyone who's used Patagonia Silkweight Boxers (now called Active Classic Boxers) will understand what I'm talking about here. This type of elastic band doesn't bunch up and dig in to your sides throughout the day.

I'm not much into using a hip-belt on a pack, but on the occassions when I do those folds caused by elastic really dig in .. and it hurts by the end of the day.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks!
I have the same issue. Can only lower the waist so much.

Thank you all for lending your expertise to helping me find a new type of hiking short. I'm sure all this information will drastically shorten the amount of time that I must spend looking to find what I'm after.

Perhaps if I wanted a real answer I should have asked in the Straight Forward forum?

Yes.

Kaptain Kangaroo
10-24-2007, 17:44
On my Thru last year I wore some shorts from LL Bean that were great. Look on their website for "Supplex Cargo Sports Shorts" They don't have the exposed elastic waist you mention, but I found them very comfortable & never had any problems withthe waistband. They have a mesh liner which I found a good compromise on the underwear vs.commando question.
They were incredibly tough too. I had 2 pairs for my entire hike & they were still in perfect condition at the end. I still hike in them now. The cargo pockets are really useful for snacks etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

JAK
10-24-2007, 17:55
Interesting thread. I've often thought about the relationship between the perfect waist belt and the perfect hiking shorts/pants. I think a lot of it would by solved by having higher waistbands on the shorts/pants. Getting the right fit of shorts/pants would be even more difficult then, unless they were simple elastic waists, as in fleece pants. Also, in winter it is nice to have a good overlap between how low your tops go and how high your bottoms go, but not so much in summer. Much to think about.

Egads
10-24-2007, 19:59
HOI,

I can vouch that going commando in Buzz Off pants is NOT more comfortable, unless you have Cast Iron B@lls. The insecticide in the Buzz Off burns.:eek:

Egads

sylvan
10-25-2007, 12:39
Thank you Kaptain. Your suggestion is greatly appreciated. I'll check them out.

pure_mahem
10-25-2007, 20:38
Swim trunks with cargos from the department store seem rip out the mesh undy part way comfortable, most have draw strings so no elastic issue.

Peaks
10-26-2007, 18:03
I wear shorts from EMS. Check them out.

Deadeye
10-27-2007, 10:50
I wear spandex running shorts, like bicycle shorts without the special padding. Available from New Balance amd others.

buckowens
10-27-2007, 15:52
Mountain Hardware Cordillera or other variety backpacking shorts. They either have a built in belt or side adjusters. They are stretchy and comfortable. Plenty of room for the boys...

FFTorched
10-27-2007, 20:20
I wear columbia shorts. I love them.

MOWGLI
10-27-2007, 20:26
Just about any nylon short will do. I wore two pairs from Patagonia. One XL and one L for after I dropped 25 pounds. I cut out the mesh liner.

Mind you, nylon can chew you up when the heat & humidity go through the roof in the summer months. I had a few days of agony before the temps dropped.

Blissful
10-27-2007, 21:28
Or go kilt. My hubby loves his kilt.

My son went commando early in the hike until he lost weight. Then he didn't chafe and he used Ex officio underwear with his zip off shorts (Dick's brand, believe it or not, and he wore them the entire hike).

LostInSpace
10-27-2007, 22:06
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new hiking short. I've been using Patagonia Baggies for going on a decade now, and while they're great shorts and last forever, I'm looking for ... :

Baggies are hard to beat, particularly for the weight and construction quality. Patagucci currently has them on sale on their Web site $18.00.

For shorts without a liner, my preference is Mountain Hardwear Canyon Shorts ... lightweight, well made, and fast drying. They don't have elastic, but they do have a lightweight built-in belt. Unfortunately, they must be a seasonal item because nobody is carrying them at the moment except is small and extra large sizes. I don't know if they have been discontinued. I love the Canyon Pants for desert hiking.

EWS
10-28-2007, 00:21
Marmot Bachelor Shorts (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39298361&memberId=12500226) on sale for $20 at Campor, with the raw elastic waist band.

mozzie
10-28-2007, 01:31
why not wear the capaline. i wore them to walmart one day my wife went nuts .made it even better

EWS
10-28-2007, 02:02
You out classed everybody in their hanes sweats with your capilene. Elitist.

Smile
10-28-2007, 08:28
OK, we need photos. Maybe they could use you in one of those WalMart flyers they send out with associates and customers modeling stuff :)

You are brave.