PDA

View Full Version : fontana to franklin

barrin
10-24-2007, 13:49
I am new to the Appalachian Trail and am planning a hike from Franklin to Fontana, and wondered if anyone had suggestions. I am planning on parking at the Fontana Dam and then getting a shuttle down to Franklin(probably rock gap), so I could hike back to my vehicle. I know this is hiking south to north but as far as I could tell the elevations are up and down no matter which way you go. Just wondered if there was a big difference in hiking time/difficulty from franklin to fontana vs fontana to franklin? Also If Fontana Dam is a safe place to park?

Thanks

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 14:01
I'd suggest going the other way. Park in Franklin at some place like Ron Haven's and then get a shuttle to Fontana and hike back towards Franklin.

bulldog49
10-24-2007, 16:05
I'd hike, and did, from Fontana to Franklin as you plan. It's perfectly safe to park by the dam and this way you don't have to try to hitch into Franklin to get back to your car. Jeff, from the nearby Hike Inn will pick you up right at the dam.

bulldog49
10-24-2007, 16:16
Duh, I said that backwards. I hiked, and suggest you do the same, by taking a shuttle south from Fontana and hike north back to your car. I was hiking from Dick's Creek and had to make an unplanned stop in Franklin and it took a while for me to get a hitch into town.

I just prefer to avoid having to make any shuttle or hitch connections at the end of a hike.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 16:19
Yes, I didn't think about the Hike Inn. That is a good solution.

barrin
10-24-2007, 16:37
I realize the hike will be difficult either way,but do you remember if its more so hiking north? Like I said I looked at the elevation charts, but charts sometimes don't do justice, and I will be taking my daughter so I am somewhat concerned about the difficulty.

Thanks

Ron Haven
10-24-2007, 18:43
Yes, I didn't think about the Hike Inn. That is a good solution.Jeff at Hike Inn is great,I recommend him also,but if he is busy call me.I shuttle both ways.I did a shuttle over there today.

bigcranky
10-24-2007, 20:30
Based on experience, I would recommend leaving your car at your starting point, then calling for a shuttle when you are done hiking. The shuttle then takes you back to your car.

That way, if you have to get off the trail early due to injury or whatever, you don't have to pay for two shuttles. Yeah, this only took me 3 sections to figure out. :-?

I'd leave the car at the dam and start hiking south. It's a lot of climbing either way, so be prepared.

Oh, and don't make arrangements for the shuttle in advance. That gives you a deadline that you have to make, and to me anyway, takes something away from the hike. You can hitch into Franklin and either have Ron drive you back, or call Jeff. You can use the time while you are waiting for your ride to eat.