PDA

View Full Version : New Member.

altec
11-20-2003, 22:06
Hey guys. I just got over here from the Adirondack Forum (http://adkforum.com) and I wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the AT, but it is one of my life goals to thru-hike the AT at one point or another. I have a decent knowlegede of the outdoors, thanks to the numerous wilderness programs that I have been forced into (yes I was a bad kid for a while, but I wont bore you with that long drawn out tale ;) ) . It is good to be here, and I hope to learn a lot from you all.

Best Wishes,
Tray

Rain Man
11-20-2003, 22:13
Hey guys. I just got over here from the Adirondack Forum (http://adkforum.com) and I wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the AT, Tray

Tray,

Welcome! I'm fairly new here myself. So far I've section hiked all of Georgia this summer and fall.

Enjoy yourself on WhiteBlaze. It's fun and interesting.

Rain Man

altec
11-20-2003, 22:41
Tray,

Welcome! I'm fairly new here myself. So far I've section hiked all of Georgia this summer and fall.

Enjoy yourself on WhiteBlaze. It's fun and interesting.

Rain Man

Thank you very much for the kind welcome, it is always nice to feel somewhat wanted in a community such as this. I hope that my stay here will be long lived, and I can leech as much information about the AT as possible from you guys.

One question: For the thru-hikers out there, how long did you take to train for your journey, and how long did it take you to get from Georgia to Kathadin?

max patch
11-21-2003, 08:15
No training. Five months.

Matt Pincham
11-21-2003, 08:57
No training. Five months.

No Training. That's what I like to hear. I'm not unfit, but I could definitely be fitter. Will do a couple of practice hikes but I don't think anything's going to prepare me well enough. I'll just take it easy for the first couple of weeks.

Welcome to the forum Altec. Do you have a planned date for thru-hiking or is it still in the dream phase?

JimSproul
11-21-2003, 12:59
No Training!?!?! What fun is that? ;)

I enjoy the preparation for the hike nearly as well as being out there. Of course as a Gray Beard it does take more to get me up to speed than it use to. I like having a "mission" to train for. When a hike is planned, I add time on the stairmaster to my work outs at the gym. Also I hike to rail spur behind my office for an hour or two 2 or 3 time per week. My boss is used to muddy boots under my desk!

The blessed saint that I live with is very understanding of my backpacking, and the need to frequent "gear testing" prior to a trip. Part of hiking your own hike. If you have time, enjoy the whole race, not just the finish (even if the finish is does cover 14 states!)

I have always wondered if the AT was just a 2,100 mile approach trail to Katahdin. A matter of perspective I guess.

Welcome to a fun and informative web site. There are great folks here. I have learned a bunch and enjoyed more than a few hours of reading. :D

altec
11-22-2003, 21:04
No Training. That's what I like to hear. I'm not unfit, but I could definitely be fitter. Will do a couple of practice hikes but I don't think anything's going to prepare me well enough. I'll just take it easy for the first couple of weeks.

Welcome to the forum Altec. Do you have a planned date for thru-hiking or is it still in the dream phase?

Still in the dream phase. I am 17, so I am not in the most opportune time in my life to go out for a five month outing if you know what I mean. I am planning to try to do it the year i graduate from college, or something along those lines: I want to do it as soon as possible, but it also has to be a time where I am not going to feel rushed.

Thank you for the welcome. It seems like a pretty friendly, welcoming area so far, i am looking forward to a long stay.

Bets Wishes,
Tray

mcw1882
11-24-2003, 16:32
I'm new to the forum too, and glad I happened along... As for Tray, I can relate to you, and can tell you that a thru hike will be an experience you'll cherish for the rest of your life...

I'm hoping to start another thru hike this spring, but we'll have to see.. :-?

Matt Pincham
11-25-2003, 09:35
Best of luck mcw1882. My girlfriend and I will be starting in 2004. I'm so excited, it's like being 5 all over again :) Lucky Christmas comes before the hike so my relatives can get me a few bits for the trail. (Please, please no religious replies)

Tray it's nice to see you're thinking of the Trail at your age. I'm only 21 and it seems like I was 17 only yesterday. I can tell you when I was 17 I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. Nice to have a goal to set yourself. My usual goal at that age was getting drunk and getting laid :D How a few years adds maturity. Now I wanna get drunk, get laid and also hike the trail (hehe only joking).

Best of luck to both of you and Tray, if you have a part-time job think about saving just a small amount of what you earn...it'll add up I can tell you.

Matt

Flash Hand
12-11-2003, 05:49
Hello all, I joined this forum today and found very benefitcal to my planning thru hike in March/April 2004. I was relieved to find this thread specifically for new members and also, no trainning but go ahead hike for 5 months. I was kinda worried that I might need to exercise everyday for several months to be ready. So, I can just warm up and exercise until my body dont feel any more sores and also try on new gears.

I am a deaf person, I know it would be be diffcult to communicate with other hearing hikers but I am very socialable person, and will write "Deaf Hiker" on my backpack to let other hikers know I am deaf and the communication will be accessible by paper and pen. I also am worried that if hikers rely on hearing for bears or any other warning signs as a reliable tools for safety while I lack of hearing.

I am so glad to find this website to be active and infested with friendly hikers, who shared their experiences with us, especially the novice hiker like me.

by the way, sorry if that envy you that I won't hear your overnight snores at shelters :p

BTW, I might end up being solo hiker, but it would be nice if I join other NOBO thru hiker sometimes late March or early April.

Lil Allan

Rain Man
12-11-2003, 11:36
Hello all, I joined this forum today and found very benefitcal to my planning thru hike in March/April 2004. ...

I am a deaf person, ... am worried that if hikers rely on hearing for bears or any other warning signs as a reliable tools for safety while I lack of hearing.

Allan,

I'm a fairly new member myself and agree there's much good stuff and many fine folks on here. Let me welcome you and invite you to jump right in!

My personal hiking experience, even with partners, is a lot of hiking and not a lot of talking for a normal day on the trail. You might find hikers are enjoying the quiet solitude.

Also, I think hikers use their sight and not their hearing for bears and warning signs. Personally, I bet I use my smell as much as or more than my hearing, since animal odors (if they are close and upwind, that is) can be strong and distinctive. Animals can "stealth" their sounds, but not so much their odors. IMHO.

Anyway, "bears" are far more a scary A.T. story than a real danger to injure you. Getting your food might be another matter. IMHO.

Enjoy your hike... and as a snorer myself, I'd be happy to share a shelter with you ... but you didn't say if YOU snore!!! LOL

Rain Man

Flash Hand
12-12-2003, 02:00
Yeah, thats a bad new, I was told I snore very loud. I might end up being the story on peevee thread of others.

With your statement and another statement sent to me via PM from another experienced hiker, I felt I have confidence to go and conquer NOBO AT! I am looking very forward to it!

Allan

squirrel bait
12-12-2003, 06:37
Pack it, wiegh it, hoist it and go. Don't forget to post your equipment list on this site before ya go. They are very helpful, if not a little wierd, but seem harmless, just don't feed the wildlife. Good luck, enjoy your hike. :banana

Flash Hand
12-13-2003, 05:04
Pack it, wiegh it, hoist it and go. Don't forget to post your equipment list on this site before ya go. They are very helpful, if not a little wierd, but seem harmless, just don't feed the wildlife. Good luck, enjoy your hike. :banana

I reviewed this forum since three or four days, and my dad already said, why are you hooked to this computer... I said, Im learning a lot from this forum, including threads of peevees, weights, gears to wear, mental prepareness, water, and so many going on for the thru hikers. Without this forum, I would end up look like idiot on the trail asking too many questions instead of enjoying the scenery.

I am so glad I registered and am looking real forward to hike sometimes early April. I have some questions to ask but I rather to finish every threads in this forum, and if none appear here, then I will ask in the forum. Its silly to repeat the same questions that other hikers asked for.

For friendly hikers who love to meet new propspective hikers, I will be wearing a small banner on my pack saying Deaf Hiker, only just a friendly note for passing hiker.

Lil Allan

squirrel bait
12-13-2003, 05:55
Ask away, hikers like nothing more than talking about how to hike. Explore the world of hammock hanging, filter or no water filter, what foods to pack, how to choose a campsite, bbbbbbbears, JUST DO NOT FEEL LIKE THERE IS A QUESTION YOU CAN'T ASK. But watch these people, they's :jump