PDA

View Full Version : Legal Documents and Arrangements - Before Leaving

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 18:43
After looking at all the thought that Kirby is giving to the legal documents he might need (as a minor) before leaving, it seemed to me that it might make sense to have a checklist of legal documents and considerations that people need to plan for, just as much as gear, before leaving. I'll put some of the items here, and others can add to it. After a while, I'll add all the items I think make sense to the Law for Backpackers article. The ones that don't make sense, anyone can follow or ignore as they wish.

Here goes

-- Obtain Power of Attorney over financial affairs to spouse/family/trusted friend.
-- Obtain "advance health care directive" designating person to make health decisions if necessary.
-- Copies of identity documents (passport, driver's license, social security card to be carried and left behind.
-- Health insurance cards.
-- Absentee voting (if necessary/desired)
-- Person allowed to receive/open mail and/or forwarding of mail
-- Payment of bills, if not dealt with by Power of Attorney

I'm sure there are more.

TW

Skidsteer
10-24-2007, 19:11
Good list The Weasel. I look forward to reading more ideas from others.

Alligator
10-24-2007, 19:15
Divorce Papers signed:jump .

Child custody agreements.

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 19:16
-- Estate Plan documents (will, trust, whatver.

TW

shelterbuilder
10-24-2007, 19:33
State ID/driver's license renewal (if possible) if it will expire during your hike. (This would vary from state to state.)

mudhead
10-24-2007, 19:36
Scripts that match the meds.

Skidsteer
10-24-2007, 19:37
Scripts that match the meds.

Hahahahaha! That's an important one.

Freeleo
10-24-2007, 19:38
meds that match the scripts

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 19:55
I hope that anyone who gives power of attorney to someone else understands the possible consequences.

shelterbuilder
10-24-2007, 19:57
I hope that anyone who gives power of attorney to someone else understands the possible consequences.

Give it to someone whom you'd trust with your life - because that's exactly what you're doing - entrusting your life to someone else.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 20:03
Well you can issue a limited power of attorney. I would recommend this route on a POA unless you have unlimited trust in someone. Otherwise there is no reason to leave even mom a general power of attorney.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 20:05
Well you can issue a limited power of attorney. I would recommend this route on a POA unless you have unlimited trust in someone. Otherwise there is no reason to leave even mom a general power of attorney.

Most POAs are limited. But I would still think about what might happen if the person I was giving it to excercised it while wishing me dead.

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 22:17

Actually, issuing a POA (for financial types of issues) is very risk free, if you pick someone like a bank, attorney or accountant, in case of a significant matter coming up. They are insured, and generally very conservative. It may not be necessry to have one, but for some people, it will be. That's why a freebie sitdown with an attorney for a half hour or so before leaving can make sense: She/he can say, "You don't need anything" or help prevent a problem later. It's like going to a doctor, too, before you leave. Maybe you're fine, or maybe you're like me: "You need some surgery before you leave."

TW

EWS
10-25-2007, 03:36
-- Obtain Power of Attorney over financial affairs to spouse/family/trusted friend. And set up your accounts on the net, and take care of outstanding issues if at all possible before you leave.

-- Obtain "advance health care directive" designating person to make health decisions if necessary.You should already have one.

-- Copies of identity documents (passport, driver's license, social security card to be carried and left behind.The AT is in America, you only need one photo ID.

-- Health insurance cards.Yeap.

-- Absentee voting (if necessary/desired)Pointless, no need to go into why.

-- Person allowed to receive/open mail and/or forwarding of mailVery important, but you should set up you accounts on the net to save the headache of posted bills.

-- Payment of bills, if not dealt with by Power of Attorney Again, set your accounts up on the internet.

Appalachian Tater
10-25-2007, 07:32
EWS is correct in stating that you should NOT be carrying your social security card or number. The card even says it "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION". You are risking identity theft if you carry it.

You should only carry your passport if you are doing the IAT or if you have no other form of identification. It is too much trouble and expense to replace and if you have a drivers license or state-issued ID you don't need it hiking the A.T. Period.

You also do not need to be carrying photocopies of these documents.

shelterbuilder
10-25-2007, 07:42
EWS is correct in stating that you should NOT be carrying your social security card or number. The card even says it "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION". You are risking identity theft if you carry it.

You should only carry your passport if you are doing the IAT or if you have no other form of identification. It is too much trouble and expense to replace and if you have a drivers license or state-issued ID you don't need it hiking the A.T. Period.

You also do not need to be carrying photocopies of these documents.

Most of us assume alter-ego identities once we hit the trail anyway.:D :D Health insurance and medical info, driver's license, emergency contact info, and (if necessary) minor's paperwork should be all you really need.

woodsy
10-25-2007, 07:47
Funeral services/burial plot pre-paid, in case you don't make it out alive.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-25-2007, 08:01
Most of us assume alter-ego identities once we hit the trail anyway.:D :D Health insurance and medical info, driver's license, emergency contact info, and (if necessary) minor's paperwork should be all you really need.
Take those items to an airport ticket counter and try to buy a ticket and board a flight. Let me know how it works without 2 picture IDs.

I realize some see taking the bus as an unnecessary luxury when hitching will get you there, but planes are a reality and can be absolutely necessary to some.

EWS
10-25-2007, 08:07
Take those items to an airport ticket counter and try to buy a ticket and board a flight. Let me know how it works without 2 picture IDs.

I realize some see taking the bus as an unnecessary luxury when hitching will get you there, but planes are a reality and can be absolutely necessary to some.

It works just fine with one ID or at least has for me. I've filled up two passports, the only ID I use for international flights; not to mention numerous domestic flights for which I use my Driver's License as my only ID.

What other legal picture ID's do you have other, than passports or state DL/ID's?

shelterbuilder
10-25-2007, 08:08

I fly VERY infrequently - you are correct. I tend not to think about things that I don't do often. (:D "I just flew in from Chicago, and boy, are my arms tired!":D )

Appalachian Tater
10-25-2007, 08:09

A state-issued drivers license is all you need to purchase airline, train, and bus tickets and travel on domestic routes. Plus some way to pay for the ticket, of course. If you are travelling outside of the country, a passport is needed.

dixicritter
10-25-2007, 08:46

Only 1 picture ID needed to buy a ticket and board a flight.

rafe
10-25-2007, 09:09
One picture ID will do (I used MA drivers license.)

I carry no wallet on the trail. I do carry a few cards: credit card, ATM card, drivers license (photo ID), health/dental insurance IDs. And maybe $100-$200 cash.

The Weasel
10-25-2007, 09:44
ents.

If you are not an American citizen or resident alien you may need to carry your passport and visa.

TW

EWS
10-25-2007, 09:52
If you are not an American citizen or resident alien you may need to carry your passport and visa.

TW

Not "may", required unless you're from the north.

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 10:04
After looking at all the thought that Kirby is giving to the legal documents he might need (as a minor) before leaving, it seemed to me that it might make sense to have a checklist of legal documents and considerations that people need to plan for, just as much as gear, before leaving. I'll put some of the items here, and others can add to it. After a while, I'll add all the items I think make sense to the Law for Backpackers article. The ones that don't make sense, anyone can follow or ignore as they wish.

Here goes

-- Obtain Power of Attorney over financial affairs to spouse/family/trusted friend.
Check

-- Obtain "advance health care directive" designating person to make health decisions if necessary.
Not needed (I think)

-- Copies of identity documents (passport, driver's license, social security card to be carried and left behind.
Check

Check

Not needed

Taken care of

Check

I'm sure there are more.

TW
ATC membership card, credit card, Military ID, list of contact numbers (in case I am out) and some green (money talks).

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 10:08
US Constitution. 2nd Amendment. to show the cops you have a right to carry

rafe
10-25-2007, 10:10
US Constitution. 2nd Amendment. to show the cops you have a right to carry

Try that in MA or NY City. I dare you.

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 10:10
Just don't use the third amendment on me please.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 10:11
Try that in MA or NY City. I dare you.

yeah. no s**t. those states are nazi run

rafe
10-25-2007, 10:13
yeah. no s**t. those states are nazi run

One of those nazis is a contender for the republican presidential nomination. ;)

rafe
10-25-2007, 10:13
One of those nazis is a contender for the republican presidential nomination. ;)

Sorry, make that two (of those former nazis.)

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 10:14

one lives in damascus

EWS
10-25-2007, 10:16
Steve Colbert?

Blue Jay
10-25-2007, 10:17

Wow, I never do any of that. It's a flat out wonder I survive.

rafe
10-25-2007, 10:25
ATC membership card...

Wuffo?? Discounts? Where?

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 10:34
You haven't heard?

The Weasel
10-25-2007, 10:38
Not "may", required unless you're from the north.

required, if you're from the north, and thru hiking. visitors 90+ days need one, including Canada.

r

The Weasel
10-25-2007, 10:39
Check
Not needed (I think)

Check
Check
Not needed
Taken care of
Check
ATC membership card, credit card, Military ID, list of contact numbers (in case I am out) and some green (money talks).

So people know, I'm not talking about what has to be CARRIED, but what has to be PLANNED for.

TW

rafe
10-25-2007, 10:46
You haven't heard?

Apparently not. Please clue me in.

Appalachian Tater
10-25-2007, 18:43

TW

Resident aliens must carry their green card at all times.

Citizens are not legally required to carry any identification at all.

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2007, 18:51
One might not be legally obligated to carry photo ID, but one would be pretty foolish to thru-hike without it.

Nearly all motels require one for check-in; many bank transactions will require one; many Post offices will want to see one as well. All hospitals will want to see one before admitting patients. Some hostels require them. In some cases, you'll need one to purchase a bus or train ticket. And you'll obviously need one if you plan to fly anywhere.

Anyone who hikes without good photo ID is asking for problems.