PDA

View Full Version : Trailplace

Bob McCaw
10-24-2007, 22:25
I am the new webmaster at www.trailplace.com, Dan Bruce's old site. Dan has retired to pursue other interests and I have sole editorial authority at Trailplace. I do not have access to archives, simply because Wingfoot deleted them before I spoke with him.

I have also bought the Thru-hiker's Handbook. Due to time pressure, I have to devote most of my time for the next few weeks to getting the Handbook ready for publication. So I've got a few weeks to think about what to do with Trailplace. I'm very much open to suggestions.

I am pondering what my philosophy should be on how to moderate the forums. I want the site to be a place where ideas can be discussed freely. I'm opinionated, like most hikers, but I like to think that sometimes I learn something by listening to people who don't agree with me. OTOH, I'd like to keep the threads focused. That way, newbies could come to the site, post questions, and get straight answers.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Footslogger
10-24-2007, 22:28
I am the new webmaster at www.trailplace.com (http://www.trailplace.com), Dan Bruce's old site. Dan has retired to pursue other interests and I have sole editorial authority at Trailplace. I do not have access to archives, simply because Wingfoot deleted them before I spoke with him.

I have also bought the Thru-hiker's Handbook. Due to time pressure, I have to devote most of my time for the next few weeks to getting the Handbook ready for publication. So I've got a few weeks to think about what to do with Trailplace. I'm very much open to suggestions.

I am pondering what my philosophy should be on how to moderate the forums. I want the site to be a place where ideas can be discussed freely. I'm opinionated, like most hikers, but I like to think that sometimes I learn something by listening to people who don't agree with me. OTOH, I'd like to keep the threads focused. That way, newbies could come to the site, post questions, and get straight answers.

===================================

Bob ...hopefully you have rather thick skin.

My suggestion would be to start out letting the dialogue flow and then shut it down if it becomes derogatory, off topic or otherwise out of line in YOUR opinion. It's your site and your rules. I wish you all the best. I was and still am a registered member at Trailplace.com and will continue to be so.

'Slogger

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 22:53
These couple of posts are, to my certain knowledge, the first time that the owner of TrailPlace has publicly posted on WhiteBlaze. I think that's a damn nice touch.

TW

minnesotasmith
10-24-2007, 22:55
[quote=Bob McCaw;433652]I am the new webmaster at www.trailplace.com (http://www.trailplace.com), Dan Bruce's old site. Dan has retired to pursue other interests and I have sole editorial authority at Trailplace. I do not have access to archives, simply because Wingfoot deleted them before I spoke with him.

You can get a certain amount of information about material on defunct websites through putting the URL into the free site www.archive.org (http://www.archive.org). I tried putting Trailplace.com into it, and at least got forum thread titles, if not their content.

I have also bought the Thru-hiker's Handbook. Due to time pressure, I have to devote most of my time for the next few weeks to getting the Handbook ready for publication.

Please add 1) shelter capacity, 2) privy absence or presence, 3) if it is a known party shelter or bug convention, and 4) quality/dependability of water source to the listings. Those could be done with simple letter or numeric codes, and would have helped the book (which I used on my thruhike last year) considerably IMO.

Above all, be consistent, with rules fully known in advance by forum members insofar as possible.

ozt42
10-24-2007, 23:04
Moderate lightly, post rules, be consistent enforcing them. If you start to go overboard we will be more than happy to heckle you, make inflamitory/derogatory comments, question your morals and your parentage...

Good luck. :D

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 00:48
Good luck flying solo too. If your site gets to taking off you will want people that are willing to help moderate. You will get burned out if you try to do it all yourself. As to ozt42's comments about enforcing standards, it is hard to be everywhere at once and at times you will learn that it is an impossible goal to set for yourself once the site really gets going good. If you make rules, make it so you are not also trapped in thinking you have to go moderate ever last single comment that offends you - have a thick skin.

Miss Janet
10-25-2007, 01:07
I enjoyed your visit the other day... sorry if I kept you longer than you had hoped. It was a nice coincidence for you to find your trail friend Old Corpus here at the same time. I love this AT thing!

Advice... Make it your own!

Downunda
10-25-2007, 02:05
Good luck with your new venture.. I'm sure your enthusiasm will rejuvenate Trailplace and help it flourish.
I'm pleased to hear that the Thru-hiker's Handbook will continue as it is a valued and much needed resource.

EWS
10-25-2007, 02:56
I think you're on the right track asking for advice, which alone speaks volumes. My only suggestion is to avoid the "my way or the highway" attitude. Good luck.

dixicritter
10-25-2007, 07:54
Good luck to you Bob! Remember that you can't make everyone happy all the time and you'll drive yourself crazy if you try to. And that burn out thing SGT Rock mentioned is real, trust me! :)

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2007, 08:31
I am the new webmaster at www.trailplace.com, Dan Bruce's old site.

Why do this?

dixicritter
10-25-2007, 08:35
Why not do this TJ? Don't be so negative. Sheesh.

Tin Man
10-25-2007, 08:46
Encouraging competition is a good thing - everyone grows in the process.

Cookerhiker
10-25-2007, 08:55
Best of luck to you Bob. I appreciated the work you did on the Long Trail End-to-ender's guide which I used heavily in my recent LT thruhike. I'm confident you'll make TrailPlace a success.

MOWGLI
10-25-2007, 08:55
Good luck Bob.

johnny quest
10-25-2007, 09:07
may i take this opportunity to commend the whiteblaze webmasters for hosting this thread? of course, this kind of open-door-freedom is what whiteblaze users are used to...but we all know it wasnt this way on the old trailplace. this type of thread from another a.t. site would have never appeared. all good luck to the new trailplace webmaster. and if you take one thing away from the suggestions here...please let it be this kind of neighborly attitude and fraternal policy to others ideas and thoughts

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 09:31
FWIF - I'd like something like "competitive cooperation" between the sites. So yes, we all have some redundant features - but we all also work togther in ways to provide the best web services for hikers. Sites like TrailJounrals, HikerBox, WhiteBlaze, TrailPlace, Thru-Hiker, Light Weight Backpacker, etc. can all work together together and there doesn't have to be a huge rivalry like there are with hostel wars in some towns that just drag everyone down.

Alligator
10-25-2007, 09:35
Darn, I just painted white blazes on my face and sharpened my axe:datz .

Jan LiteShoe
10-25-2007, 09:39
FWIF - I'd like something like "competitive cooperation" between the sites. So yes, we all have some redundant features - but we all also work togther in ways to provide the best web services for hikers. Sites like TrailJounrals, HikerBox, WhiteBlaze, TrailPlace, Thru-Hiker, Light Weight Backpacker, etc. can all work together together and there doesn't have to be a huge rivalry like there are with hostel wars in some towns that just drag everyone down.

Hear hear. I'm glad someone spoke up on this.
It doesn't have to be "either/or."
It's a creative, diverse and shifting community, with much to offer.

Gray Blazer

don't forget www.hikinghq.net (http://www.hikinghq.net)

SGT Rock
Well that is in my signature LOL

Jan LiteShoe
10-25-2007, 09:40

That's okay Alligator, I have a cord of wood here that needs a workout!
Y'all stop on by.
:)

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 09:44
Go do trail maintenance.

Hey, in other news...

I just got an e-mail from one of the guys in my unit that is a backpacker. He said that the October Backpacker Magazine mentions WhiteBlaze in some article. Apparently something about thru-hike preparation.

Minerva
10-25-2007, 09:57
Bob,
Sending my best wishes to you on these two endeavors! Get your rest, eat well and set aside some time to get out and hike!
MrsGorp

Marta
10-25-2007, 10:00
Bob--I was just browsing through this thread, and noticed you are in Sudbury. I grew up there. Graduated from LSRHS.

But back to the point of the thread, good luck with the endeavor!

Mags
10-25-2007, 10:24
Good luck Bob!

I am sure the new trailplace will add a lot to the AT community.

DavidNH
10-25-2007, 10:46
Best of luck to you Bob! This is an exciting time. I'll be watching now and again how the site develops. It's a major undertaking for sure.

There is of course a balance to be struck between allowing for a free flow of ideas and thoughts and keeping a given thread focused and civil. I know the moderators here do the best they can in that regard. They don't always succeed but then, who does? It's a nearly impossible task.

Any idea when the forums part of the website will be up?

David

Tin Man
10-25-2007, 10:55
Hey, in other news...

I just got an e-mail from one of the guys in my unit that is a backpacker. He said that the October Backpacker Magazine mentions WhiteBlaze in some article. Apparently something about thru-hike preparation.

The "article" (more like a blurb) is called "Plan the Perfect Trip: Smart ways to foolproof your next hike. by R. Todd Felton". It suggests you "gather fresh intelligence by posting your itinerary with groups such as whiteblaze.net, adkforum.com and forums.backpacker.com". It would seem the word intelligence is used rather generously here. :rolleyes:

refreeman
10-25-2007, 11:11
Try to emphasize the educational structure of the site vs the social structure of the site. Best of luck to you!

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 11:16
I appreciated the work you did on the Long Trail End-to-ender's guide which I used heavily in my recent LT thruhike.

speaking of the LT Guide, why wasn't the Long Trail Tavern listed as a place to stay and shower? ALL options for hikers should be listed in ALL guides

chief
10-25-2007, 11:54
Bob, do yourself a favor and make www.trailplace.com informational only. I think your main concern should be the Thru-hiker's Handbook. A site dedicated to supporting and supplementing the book would be a really good thing. You could solicit articles from hikers "known" to know something about the AT and who are "known" to be objective (rare). These probably would be the same people you may enlist to help in the book updates. You could possibly run some polls about book formatting and such, so you better know your market.

Unless you plan on spending all your time on moderating discussions , don't allow it.

Bob McCaw
10-25-2007, 11:54
I'd like to thank everyone who has posted here for your support and comments.

I think it's good that Whiteblaze welcomed my posts, too. I contacted Rock and ATtroll before posting and they said go for it. I didn't just post here unannounced; they actively said it was OK.

On the forums front, I have purchased vBulletin and hope to have it up and running by this weekend. If it doesn't happen by then, it will probably be another week to ten days as I have to do the legwork to cover the northern half of the trail.

Bob McCaw
10-25-2007, 12:02
In response to Wolf's comment, I'm not sure whether you mean the Long Trail Tavern in Johnson or the Inn at the Long Trail in Killington, but both are mentioned in the End-to-ender's Guide. I assume you mean the one in Johnson.

The Long Trail Tavern may offer more services than mentioned in the Guide. I wasn't aware they offered showers -- many times businesses along the trail will offer a little more than they want published in guidebooks. There was no intention to slight them.

The Weasel
10-25-2007, 12:02
Bob, do yourself a favor and make www.trailplace.com (http://www.trailplace.com) informational only. I think your main concern should be the Thru-hiker's Handbook. A site dedicated to supporting and supplementing the book would be a really good thing. You could solicit articles from hikers "known" to know something about the AT and who are "known" to be objective (rare). These probably would be the same people you may enlist to help in the book updates. You could possibly run some polls about book formatting and such, so you better know your market.

Unless you plan on spending all your time on moderating discussions , don't allow it.

Second the motion. That would fill a very major gap, which is only partly met by WB and the other sites.

TW

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 12:03
In response to Wolf's comment, I'm not sure whether you mean the Long Trail Tavern in Johnson or the Inn at the Long Trail in Killington, but both are mentioned in the End-to-ender's Guide. I assume you mean the one in Johnson.

The Long Trail Tavern may offer more services than mentioned in the Guide. I wasn't aware they offered showers -- many times businesses along the trail will offer a little more than they want published in guidebooks. There was no intention to slight them.

ok. good enuf.

JoeHiker
10-25-2007, 12:26
Ah so you are the one who updated the End to Ender's guide! And from my hometown of Wellesley too! Well judging by the improvements in the End to Ender's guide, I think Trailplace is in good hands.

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 13:34
Well if you decide to go ahead and have a forum, two things:

1. You can't make everyone happy. Don't try, and the squeakiest wheel is sometimes the one to ignore.

2. Don't let anyone bully you into moderating something because you moderated something else in the past or the other way on that. There are a people with their pet arguments and peeves that throw the "fair" card whenever they feel their issue isn't getting the treatment they think it deserves.

The Weasel
10-25-2007, 16:20
Well if you decide to go ahead and have a forum, two things:

1. You can't make everyone happy. Don't try, and the squeakiest wheel is sometimes the one to ignore.

2. Don't let anyone bully you into moderating something because you moderated something else in the past or the other way on that. There are a people with their pet arguments and peeves that throw the "fair" card whenever they feel their issue isn't getting the treatment they think it deserves.

3. Have a forum moderator who has at least 20 years of experience in shooting people who cause trouble, and who has many friends with the capability of using heavy weapons, in any weather, terrain or other conditions.

4. Have a spouse or significant other with a sense of humor, infinite patience, and a firm knowledge of where the "delete message" button is on your software.

5. Be polite to all those who fear you. Exterminate the others.

TW

sylvan
10-25-2007, 16:22
^That made me giggle.

Just a Hiker
10-25-2007, 16:25
Hey Bob! Thanks for the message you sent me!! I just want to be able to say **** on your site!!:banana

Just Jim

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 17:13
^That made me giggle.
That was funny.

rickb
10-25-2007, 17:24
On the forums front, I have purchased vBulletin and hope to have it up and running by this weekend. If it doesn't happen by then, it will probably be another week to ten days as I have to do the legwork to cover the northern half of the trail.

Just a thought, but if the forum focused discussion on things in the context of Guidebook (from restaraunt reviews to whether its editor should include a detailed history of Chesire Cheese Monument) you might differentiate your site from others. And attract more people in the process.

Here is another thought-- be carefull about where you post your picture. If you walk around Hop Brook or up to Tipling Rock much on weekend mornings you might have some strange person from the internet come up to you and say hello.

RickB

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2007, 17:38
Why not do this TJ? Don't be so negative. Sheesh.

Whoa, Nelly!! Nothing "negative" intended.
"Why" is an honest question!!
Bob, have you said why, and did I miss it?

Bob McCaw
10-25-2007, 18:44
Hey Bob! Thanks for the message you sent me!! I just want to be able to say **** on your site!!:banana

Just Jim

No problem. You can say ****, too.

Lugnut
10-25-2007, 19:12
Bob,
If Wingfoot were dead ( we'll assume he's not) he would be spinning in his grave knowing you were consorting with the enemy like this! :eek:
Best of luck to you.

Bob McCaw
10-25-2007, 19:17
Whoa, Nelly!! Nothing "negative" intended.
"Why" is an honest question!!
Bob, have you said why, and did I miss it?

I guess an honest question deserves an honest answer.

For me, acquiring the Handbook was such an easy decision to make that this is a tough question. You mean I get to write about the trail and tell my wife I'm working?

Why buy Wingfoot's book when I could start my own? Pretty much Business 101. He has put out a first-rate product, IMO. I'm not the only one who thinks so. So by buying the book, I get to start with a recognized product that only needs updating. This saves me a lot of time and effort as far as writing the book, and I get to hit the ground running from a sales perspective. Trailplace and the Handbook go hand in hand.

Like I said, easy decision.

Tin Man
10-25-2007, 19:18
Bob,
If Wingfoot were dead ( we'll assume he's not) he would be spinning in his grave knowing you were consorting with the enemy like this! :eek:
Best of luck to you.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Bob, have you checked the fine print of any sales contract you might has signed? Getting all friendly with WB members and the welcoming a difference of opinion may go against some of the terms you might have agreed to and throw the trailpace traditions right out the window.

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2007, 19:48
I guess an honest question deserves an honest answer.

For me, acquiring the Handbook was such an easy decision to make that this is a tough question. You mean I get to write about the trail and tell my wife I'm working?

Why buy Wingfoot's book when I could start my own? Pretty much Business 101. He has put out a first-rate product, IMO. I'm not the only one who thinks so. So by buying the book, I get to start with a recognized product that only needs updating. This saves me a lot of time and effort as far as writing the book, and I get to hit the ground running from a sales perspective. Trailplace and the Handbook go hand in hand.

Like I said, easy decision.

Thanks Bob, but I did ask about website, not the book:
You: "I am the new webmaster at www.trailplace.com, Dan Bruce's old site."
Me: "Why do this?"
So you see Trailplace as a marketing tool for the book? That's interesting, as we've always been told by the old webmaster that even with all the focused self-promotion, the book made little profit.
Good luck!

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2007, 19:51
Getting all friendly with WB members and the welcoming a difference of opinion may go against some of the terms you might have agreed to and throw the trailpace traditions right out the window.

Well, it'll be nice to post something like "My hiking companion and I were gathering our gear to look for the next whiteblaze..." and have it come out without all the **********s! :D

Bob McCaw
10-25-2007, 20:12
Thanks Bob, but I did ask about website, not the book:
You: "I am the new webmaster at www.trailplace.com, Dan Bruce's old site."
Me: "Why do this?"
So you see Trailplace as a marketing tool for the book? That's interesting, as we've always been told by the old webmaster that even with all the focused self-promotion, the book made little profit.
Good luck!

Sorry, didn't understand the question.

Sure, I expect the book to make a little money and the website will most likely be an expense. But truthfully, I could probably figure out a way to market the book while putting virtually no effort into the website.

So given the fact that I plan on making the website something worthwhile, I view Trailplace as more than a marketing tool. As corny as it sounds, I view the website a service to the hiking community and something I'll have some fun with.

As I've said before, I haven't totally decided what to do with the website, which is why I'm asking for suggestions.

WILLIAM HAYES
10-25-2007, 20:17
I have been a member of trailPlace for years and wish you well I am glad that you have taken on the responsibility for continuing the thru-hikers handbook it is a valuable resource that I have used for the past 7 years good luck on your new venture

Just a Hiker
10-25-2007, 20:22
Are you still going to do the Math Professor job Bob? Or is Trailplace going to take all of your time?

Jim

Nightwalker
10-25-2007, 21:04
Why do this?

Why not? Maybe because he wants to, Teej...

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 21:09
And he already paid for the software LOL. I say try it for a while as a forum and see what happens. I think I would reccomend a limited forum and a news blog, but that is just an idea.

Nightwalker
10-25-2007, 21:10
3. Have a forum moderator who has at least 20 years of experience in shooting people who cause trouble, and who has many friends with the capability of using heavy weapons, in any weather, terrain or other conditions.

4. Have a spouse or significant other with a sense of humor, infinite patience, and a firm knowledge of where the "delete message" button is on your software.

5. Be polite to all those who fear you. Exterminate the others.

TW

6. Learn who the whiny biatches are right away! :D

minnesotasmith
10-25-2007, 22:13
"So you see Trailplace as a marketing tool for the book? That's interesting, as we've always been told by the old webmaster that even with all the focused self-promotion, the book made little profit."

Even the year Wingfoot supposedly accepted advance orders (with payment) for his books, and never shipped any? ;)

MOWGLI
10-25-2007, 22:33
Even the year Wingfoot supposedly accepted advance orders (with payment) for his books, and never shipped any? ;)

You should stick to things you know about, like.... Um. Er. Ah. Well, never mind.

He shipped the books in 2000. They just didn't go out until the fall of 2000.

minnesotasmith
10-25-2007, 22:44
You should stick to things you know about, like....

Like how to competently shave to normal societal-level standards? You're still struggling with that one, I see, presuming your avatar is current. ;)

The Weasel
10-25-2007, 22:57
You should stick to things you know about, like.... Um. Er. Ah. Well, never mind.

Mowgli, it wasn't "they JUST didn't go out until the fall" as if it was some kind of "no harm, no foul", but those of us who really believed that Dan was as good as his word felt very betrayed. We got promises every few days that "the book is at the publisher" well into March, and even beyond, when nearly all thrus had left. There was never an apology from Dan other than to blame just about everyone and everything except the Mounties, and to this day, there hasn't been one.

So Bob has some negative aspects to overcome, and it appears to me from the last few days that he's going about things the right way to correct those. One of the things that Dan never understood, but Bob appears to, is "Promise short and perform long." If he does that, and doesn't over-extend (e.g., keep the "forum" simple), he'll do very, very well. I hope he does.

TW

minnesotasmith
10-26-2007, 02:31

Kind of like not sending out paid subscribers' "Guide To This Year's NFL Teams" until the week after the Superbowl would be no biggie either, right?

rafe
10-26-2007, 07:33
Like how to competently shave to normal societal-level standards? You're still struggling with that one, I see, presuming your avatar is current. ;)

That's too funny, MS. (In more ways than you know.) Societal-level standards, indeed.

woodsy
10-26-2007, 07:42
That's too funny, MS. (In more ways than you know.) Societal-level standards, indeed.
Maybe he'd be willing to define his societal-level standards. Oh nevermind, i think we wouldn't want to know anyway, afterall, this is about Trailplace, not MS.:D
Good luck with it Bob:)

johnny quest
10-26-2007, 09:15
if handled right the website can be a wonderful marketing tool to promote the book. a loss-leader, if you will.
that doesnt mean that the website has to have forums. personally, rather than make another message board site i would go with more of a library-of-knowledge thing, with a paid section...a free benny to anyone buying the book. but noone asked me.

MOWGLI
10-26-2007, 09:44

Yes, I would still be struggling with that one if I was Jerry Garcia. :sun

ed bell
10-26-2007, 09:57
Maybe a case of "hair envy"?;)

mobileman
10-26-2007, 09:59
Bob it will be good to have a second source of information. When can we get on it?

SGT Rock
10-26-2007, 10:31
Maybe. But I really think if you were Jerry Garcia you wouldn't care about your hair.

Maybe a case of "hair envy"?;)

That is probably true.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2007, 03:29
Hey, if you hairballs are going to use up all your hormones growing hair, well, that's your problem. :D

Peaks
10-27-2007, 07:36
Well, Bob, if I can make one suggestion: Be seen at trail events like Trail Days, the Gathering, etc.

Good luck with your new venture neighbor. (I'll be at Nobscot all weekend)

Nightwalker
10-27-2007, 12:36
Hey, if you hairballs are going to use up all your hormones growing hair, well, that's your problem. :D

If you're gonna waste all your time shaving, you're gonna waste a lotta time! And if you're that afraid of guys mistaking a hairy face for something else, you have problems we can't fix!

woodsy
10-27-2007, 14:00

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
-Thomas Paine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_paine)

Sorry, couldn't resist:D

camojack
10-28-2007, 10:10
No you wouldn't...you'd be freakin' DEAD. Possibly grateful? :confused:

Lone Wolf
10-28-2007, 11:29
Jerry's dead and Phish sucks. Get a life

rafe
10-28-2007, 11:36
What would we do without these deep thoughts from Chairman Wolf?

Lone Wolf
10-28-2007, 11:38
What would we do without these deep thoughts from Chairman Wolf?

although those are my thoughts, i didn't pen that. it was a phrase on a sticker i used to have on my nalgene

Jim Lynch
10-28-2007, 11:44

So Bob has some negative aspects to overcome, and it appears to me from the last few days that he's going about things the right way to correct those.......

TW

Right on! The big thing that Bob has done right is made himself very present on the web site (and on this site too). He's not trying slide in under the radar, but be himself and build on the positive aspects of Trailplace and the Handbook. Good on him!

rafe
10-28-2007, 11:51
Shopping for a CD/DVD rack, saw a sticker at Newbury Comix yesterday: "It's not that I'm old; your music sucks." Or somethin' like that. No stickers yet on the Subaru, but maybe it's time.

MOWGLI
10-28-2007, 11:51
Mowgli, it wasn't "they JUST didn't go out until the fall" as if it was some kind of "no harm, no foul", but those of us who really believed that Dan was as good as his word felt very betrayed. We got promises every few days that "the book is at the publisher" well into March, and even beyond, when nearly all thrus had left. There was never an apology from Dan other than to blame just about everyone and everything except the Mounties, and to this day, there hasn't been one.

TW

That was 2000. It's almost 2008. I suggest you get over it.

Bob doesn't have any association with what happened in 2000. So he has nothing to "overcome" IMO. It's a clean slate and I sincerely wish him all the best.

For that matter, I wish Dan all the best too.

Heater
10-28-2007, 12:59

Hey, don't blame us for your low level of testosterone.

...and while were on the subject, if you did your job a little better, you could probably cut 10 or 15 bucks of your monthly supply of petroleum jelly. ;)

Appalachian Tater
10-28-2007, 13:48
As you can see, message boards go off topic very quickly.

There are plenty of sites about gear and hiking and to provide a platform for social exchange and opinion.

You might consider keeping the entire site focused solely on factual knowledge about the trail and associated organizations and services. You could develop it into the go-to place for trail information and the book could be a yearly snapshot of the state of the trail. There is a need for this and your hands will be too full otherwise.

You might also think about setting it up as a wiki or otherwise providing a way to keep the information up-to-date with user contributions. The ALDHA Companion is successful because people are actively checking the facts. The main criticism I heard of Dan Bruce's book was the amount of incorrect and out-of-date information that made it obvious that the editor was not actually out in the field checking information.

Something else you might want to think about is that the A.T. is now only a section of a "continuous" footpath from Key West to Belle Isle.

TJ aka Teej
10-28-2007, 14:27
Back in the old Internet days, the only AT site was Kathy Bilton's AT Page. It's still up, 11 or so years later at: http://www.fred.net/kathy/at.html Through her AT page, I found out there was a bunch of other ATers exchanging emails: the good ol' at-l! Still going strong at: http://www.backcountry.net/ and through a member there named 'WingFoot' I found out he was going to start up an email list and webpage about the AT too. So, like many at-lers, when he launched it I went over as one of the first to join up to support his effort. All I have to say about the next several years of WF/TP/ATML is this: __________________ .
I've joined the new TrailPlace. Good luck, Bob!

The Weasel
10-28-2007, 14:58
That was 2000. It's almost 2008. I suggest you get over it.

Bob doesn't have any association with what happened in 2000. So he has nothing to "overcome" IMO. It's a clean slate and I sincerely wish him all the best.

For that matter, I wish Dan all the best too.

Well, Mowgli, I'm over it. About 2800 miles away, over it. But what Bob has done is recognize that he's bought a valuable property (one hopes, for his sake) that has been tarnished: Here's a website - TrailPlace - that had a huge amount of useful information, and it's owner just erased it all. You may not have noticed, but there were a lot of saddened people here the first few days after TP closed, trying to find out how they could get access to that information. The same guy who really didn't care about who did, or didn't, have the book they bought in '00 is the one who didn't think about giving people a heads-up, in '07, so they could have a few days to get what they needed, including a lot of their own posts. Bob has already anticipated the questions - "can you get it back?" - by being upfront and saying, "No."

I wish Dan well. But that's not the point. What IS important is that Bob take the strengths that TP and the Guide had and keep them, while trying to work past some of the negatives. He seems to be doing that, as well as getting a lof of miles on whatever he's driving. And it's all tax deductible, now, too! (Good for you, Bob!!!)

TW

Manach
10-28-2007, 15:52
Bob,
Maybe you could ask for article submissions and work on compiling an archive of backpacking articles.

Whatever you do with the book and the site, I hope you leave yourself time to hike.

Sly
10-28-2007, 18:00
Here's a website - TrailPlace - that had a huge amount of useful information, and it's owner just erased it all. You may not have noticed, but there were a lot of saddened people here the first few days after TP closed, trying to find out how they could get access to that information.

It's not like the useful information is irreplaceable, especially since much of it is dynamic. When the time comes Bob can set up the website as he pleases, rather than having old threads/forums by WF.

In the meantime, folks can come here for the info! :D

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2007, 18:18
Good post, Sly.

No information is irreplaceable, and in point of fact, some of the "permanent" material on Trailplace wasn't all that great.

I think Bob's perfectly capable of making his own permanent contributions to the website, and I think the new site will do just fine.

And as for folks still all pissed off over something Wingfoot allegedly did nearly a decade ago with the publication of his book......Jesus, people, if that's your biggest worry in life, you have it kinda easy.

Bob McCaw
10-28-2007, 21:12
In light of all the suggestions here -- which I have been pondering -- I have a better idea of what I want on Trailplace.

First, I'd like Trailplace to be a site where hikers can get good information. If you have something you feel is of value -- an article, pictures, or anything else you think is good -- please let me know. I'm sure someone will appreciate what you have to share.

Second, I'm planning on having moderated forums so people can share thoughts about the trail and experienced hikers can help newbies. When I say "moderated", I mean that I want the forums to stay on topic, and plan to limit flame wars and irrelevant material. OTOH, I will absolutely welcome the free interchange of ideas as long as the discussion is respectful. I won't get upset if someone disagrees with me. I'm going have clearly stated rules for how the forums will be moderated and hopefully stick to them.

If you are interested in helping me moderate the forums, please let me know. I do want to get out hiking now and then.

I have some other ideas, but I'll have to see what time permits.

If you'd like to get in touch with me, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2007, 21:16
Well, for starters, feel free to take my Re-Supply Article and reprint it on your website. It may reach people that way that otherwise might never see it.

And I'll be updating it early next year, probably sometime in February.

Nightwalker
10-28-2007, 23:20
Well, for starters, feel free to take my Re-Supply Article and reprint it on your website. It may reach people that way that otherwise might never see it.

And I'll be updating it early next year, probably sometime in February.

Thanks for reaching out like that, Jack.

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:22
I have a good feeling about Bob, so far he's been really up front, answered a lot of questions and the most important thing has asked for advice. :)

TJ aka Teej
10-29-2007, 07:36
First, I'd like Trailplace to be a site where hikers can get good information. If you have something you feel is of value -- an article, pictures, or anything else you think is good -- please let me know. I'm sure someone will appreciate what you have to share.

Second, I'm planning on having moderated forums so people can share thoughts about the trail and experienced hikers can help newbies. When I say "moderated", I mean that I want the forums to stay on topic, and plan to limit flame wars and irrelevant material.

Sounds a whole lot like WhiteBlaze.net, Bob.
Why not just link here? :D

Bob McCaw
10-29-2007, 08:13
Sounds a whole lot like WhiteBlaze.net, Bob.
Why not just link here? :D

I plan on linking here. But I honestly think there's room for another site with a little different style. Time will tell.

Nightwalker
10-29-2007, 13:25
I plan on linking here. But I honestly think there's room for another site with a little different style. Time will tell.

Yup. Less arguing would be nice!

I'm sure you'll do fine, Bob.

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 13:34
It isn't the site that controls the arguing - it is the users. What a concept.

Nightwalker
10-29-2007, 15:44
It isn't the site that controls the arguing - it is the users. What a concept.

Duh, dude.

You and I are members of some other sites that don't have arguing. They are also missing the folks that do the stirring the most around here. Maybe the two go hand in hand? :)

warren doyle
10-31-2007, 17:16
I wish you well on your new venture.

May it blossom into a bully-free zone!

Appalachian Tater
10-31-2007, 17:27
http://www.freespirit.com/files/IMAGE/COVER/LARGE/FS-P745.jpg