PDA

View Full Version : Vargo Ti-lite Mug

bigmac_in
10-25-2007, 12:42
Thinking about buying the Vargo Ti-lite Mug -

http://vargooutdoors.safeshopper.com/181/1462.htm?952

Does anyone here use the Ti-lite for meal prep on the trail? Just thought I'd get some feedback before I spent the cash. I'm hoping I can cut some weight with it.

Smile
10-25-2007, 12:47
Haven't used this yet, but thanks for the info.

I like the looks of this mug, that's the only thing I don't like about the one I currently use - no lid.

bigmac_in
10-25-2007, 12:57
I've seen it on ebay for about $30.00 including shipping. I like the size and the lid with strainer holes. I also like that a 32 oz. nalgene fits into it - saves on storage space. Although I usually just use gatorade bottles for water when I'm hiking.

bulldog49
10-25-2007, 16:09
I have one, and what sets it apart from other Ti pots/mugs is the lid. It strains and I like the fixed handle as opposed to the more common hinged handle of other pots, that you burn your fingers attempting to use after it's been laying flat on the hot lid.

I use it as both mug and a single person cook-pot and store my fuel canister, stove and spoon inside, taking up very little space in my pack.

whitefoot_hp
10-25-2007, 16:28
I have one, and what sets it apart from other Ti pots/mugs is the lid. It strains and I like the fixed handle as opposed to the more common hinged handle of other pots, that you burn your fingers attempting to use after it's been laying flat on the hot lid.

The MSR titan kettle has a good solution to that problem as well. The lid handle is hinged, but it can be locked in an upright position.

it also seems as if the taller/slimmer design of this vargo mug boils the same amount of water a wee bit faster than something shaped like the titan, at least if you are using a simple aclohol stove. i have used both the msr titan kettle and have borrowed something that heavily resembles this vargo mug.

EWS
10-26-2007, 00:18
Another option, the handle jams up quite easily.
Brasslite 0.9 Liter (900 ml; 30 oz) Titanium Mug/Cook Pot. (http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/cookwareOrder.html#900Mug)

take-a-knee
10-26-2007, 00:30
I think you'd have trouble preparing an entire Knorr meal in that 0.6L pot, especially if you dump a foil pack of chicken in with it. That combo maxes out a 700ml snow peak. It depends on what you cook I guess.

Appalachian Tater
10-26-2007, 07:43
I think you'd have trouble preparing an entire Knorr meal in that 0.6L pot, especially if you dump a foil pack of chicken in with it. That combo maxes out a 700ml snow peak. It depends on what you cook I guess.

The .85 MSR kettle or that .9 Brasslite above is a better size if you're cooking in it, .6 is too small for typical hiker meals. If you're not cooking in it, why not go with a Heineken?

bigmac_in
10-26-2007, 22:52
Thanks for the replies everyone. The size was the only thing I was concerned about, but I actually don't cook up much on the trail, so I may give it a try. Otherwise the other suggestions sound good as well. I'll let you know how it works out, I'll probably take a couple fall hikes and can give it a try. Thanks again!

Big Mac

pure_mahem
10-26-2007, 23:04
If you want to try out the size before you buy a heiniken can is about the same capacity and you may actually find you like it better its definately cheaper than all above mentioned and you can drill/punch holes in the lid to see how it works for you just remove the lid with one of those side style canopeners. If you really have your heart set on something titanium then go ahead and buy it but the heiniken can will at least let you try the size before you buy. JMO

take-a-knee
10-26-2007, 23:30
If you are going to do the freezer bag thing the slickest pot is that MSR .85, it has a pour spout that works without spilling a drop, and the lid fits snuggly and doesn't come off when you pour out. A 24oz heinekein can will work, but you need some way to pick it up when it is full of boiling water. Skidsteer cannibilized folding handles from another pot, but he likes projects. Minibull Designs sell a flame proof wick to wrap around the middle of the can. He has a video of himself at his site picking up the can of boiling water bare-handed. I think it was $12, and I looked on the net to buy it in bulk, it isn't any cheaper anywhere else. Skidsteer's budweiser turbo stove for the henie pot looks like the heat, I must build one.