PDA

View Full Version : The Hiker named Trauma

Footslogger
10-25-2007, 15:48
Anyone remember the AT thru-hiker from 2003 named Trauma ?

Here is a link to his latest adventure ...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/podcast_100907_lichter_tahoe_swim_results.html?m=0 0270vujHPH5m1vvitHC5qdZuwA

'Slogger

take-a-knee
10-25-2007, 17:03
The Special Operations Command has a home for this guy if he wants it.

Baum Trigger
10-25-2007, 20:30
He's soon to become "Trauma 20,000" from what I've heard...seriously...

Miss Janet
10-26-2007, 01:23
He was the guy hiking 40+ mile days? For weeks at a time?? With a big old dog? That almost no one remembered seeing?? Nope... still not buying the whole enchilada. He may have accomplished some really cool things and be doing great things for extreme sports but am I the ONLY one skeptical?

Skits
10-26-2007, 02:45
He was the guy hiking 40+ mile days? For weeks at a time?? With a big old dog? That almost no one remembered seeing?? Nope... still not buying the whole enchilada. He may have accomplished some really cool things and be doing great things for extreme sports but am I the ONLY one skeptical?

I can vouch that he did the CDT last year at the end of his calender year triple crown hike. (P.O.D., Disco, Pepper among others saw him, I think Pepper (and maybe Nacho) is the only one that hiked extensively with him). Also Pepper and Trauma hiked the south island of New Zealand in Feb.? I'm eagerly awaiting their notes as am planning to hike the Te Araroa next Dec.-March.

Miss Janet I wish you success in finding a new place. When I hiked the AT in 2003 I ended up staying at the Holiday Inn (I was hiking with a quartet of over-60's hikers who were section hiking the trail and had a car in town and we did have an awesome time, but I had been hoping to be able to check out your place or at least meet you when I am passing through next spring)

Trauma does have a web site for those that are interested
http://www.justinlichter.com

Jeff
10-26-2007, 06:52
I hiked for a day with Trauma and his dog on the PCT in April 2006. Couldn't keep up with him climbing San Jacinto.

rusackson
10-26-2007, 16:29
Trauma just got a website up. www.justinlichter.com

rusackson
10-26-2007, 16:36
Trauma finally got a site up with his current and past hikes... Check it out...

www.justinlichter.com

:banana

A-Train
10-26-2007, 16:44
I saw him do a pretty thorough slideshow/presentation at the Granite Gear party in Salt Lake for the Outdoor Retail show in august 06'. 40 mile days, snowshoeing over 10feet of snow in the Sierra, hiking in crocs for hundreds of miles, hiking the Whites in winter-it's ALL hard to believe, but I do buy it.
I've learned from watching people like Squeaky, Scott Williamson, Eric D, Tatu Joe, Flyin' Brian, etc. that anything is possible.

take-a-knee
10-26-2007, 16:47
If you did a muscle biopsy of this dude and scrutinized his metabolism, you'd find he's not like most of us. Some people are just plain hard.

rusackson
10-26-2007, 16:57
Got to go bowling with him once. I couldn't believe it, he was bowling two lanes at once and breaking 200 on both!!!! He is the master of repetition... Literally had to drag him out of the bowling alley, thought he might be going for 10,000 pins!

Newb
10-29-2007, 14:17
How can someone afford to hike hike hike all over the world? No job? independently wealthy?

Freeleo
10-29-2007, 14:20
deleted post

dloome
10-29-2007, 18:25
I saw him do a pretty thorough slideshow/presentation at the Granite Gear party in Salt Lake for the Outdoor Retail show in august 06'. 40 mile days, snowshoeing over 10feet of snow in the Sierra, hiking in crocs for hundreds of miles, hiking the Whites in winter-it's ALL hard to believe, but I do buy it.
I've learned from watching people like Squeaky, Scott Williamson, Eric D, Tatu Joe, Flyin' Brian, etc. that anything is possible.

Hey A-Train.
I was 'Just Dave' on the PCT this year. I was on a 90 day schedule for my thru, so didn't hike with many people, but I remember passing you in Antelope Valley, and then ran into a couple in Skykomish, WA who knew you and wondered if I'd seen you along the way. How did your hike go?

EWS
10-30-2007, 00:20
How can someone afford to hike hike hike all over the world? No job? independently wealthy?

It really doesn't take a lot outside of Europe, Japan, The States, Canada, Australia, NZ, and Tourist Resorts to live comfortably. Head south of the border for a start, $500(if you rent an apartment) to $1000(if you keep on moving) a month will get you by comfortably, unless you go to a gringo haven, from there you can continue south, then over the South East Asia, Central Asia, the former USSR, and Africa. I usually spend more on plane tickets than I do on vacation in most places I visit for a short while, but I am the only American walking around 99% of the time to. Just make a solid effort to learn whatever language is spoken where you're at.

Newb
10-30-2007, 07:15
It really doesn't take a lot outside of Europe, Japan, The States, Canada, Australia, NZ, and Tourist Resorts to live comfortably. Head south of the border for a start, $500(if you rent an apartment) to $1000(if you keep on moving) a month will get you by comfortably, unless you go to a gringo haven, from there you can continue south, then over the South East Asia, Central Asia, the former USSR, and Africa. I usually spend more on plane tickets than I do on vacation in most places I visit for a short while, but I am the only American walking around 99% of the time to. Just make a solid effort to learn whatever language is spoken where you're at.

I guess I just didn't learn how to live right. I've found life takes money, and short of having it handed to me I've had to earn it.

EWS
10-30-2007, 07:22
It depends on if you value the media inspired American standard of living, or if you value your own time. I've worked for every dime I've had in my pocket too. You should be able to save enough to take a year off relatively quickly, once you cut out things most Americans deem necessary that aren't.

Cosmic Crusader
10-30-2007, 07:50
It depends on if you value the media inspired American standard of living, or if you value your own time. I've worked for every dime I've had in my pocket too. You should be able to save enough to take a year off relatively quickly, once you cut out things most Americans deem necessary that aren't.

I would have to agreee with that one... The last time I was getting set to go out for a year I lived in a tiny apt - no elec and did a large part of my cooking on my tiny balcony with my whisperlight. It was pretty amazing but at the end ouf the year I was able to have about 10k saved and that was with working a job that paid less than 25k...

EWS
10-30-2007, 07:57
I would have to agreee with that one... The last time I was getting set to go out for a year I lived in a tiny apt - no elec and did a large part of my cooking on my tiny balcony with my whisperlight. It was pretty amazing but at the end ouf the year I was able to have about 10k saved and that was with working a job that paid less than 25k...

Now, that is setting your goals and meeting them. :sun

JAK
10-30-2007, 08:28
His has a Tips page.
These are the ones I found most interesting:

"When the weather is bad make sure to eat, even if you have to stop for a short time, otherwise you will feel extra cold. It helps to always have 1 days worth of food that is easily edible while walking and handy to get to without stopping and digging through your pack."

"For many reasons, try not to camp near water; the first being most people camp near water/meadows so the areas are usually the most impacted, the second is that the air is usually moist during the night so it leaves a heavier dew on your tent, tarp, or sleeping bag, and the third being that the air usually gets colder during the night near water."

"Check what time it is at known locations, so you can calculate how far you think you are from a certain place and where you probably are on the map, in case you get lost."

"To tell how long until the sun is going to set, hold your hand up with your fingers touching and cover the sun with your thumb, each one of your fingers is 15 minutes. Using this you can calculate how long until the sun will drop below the horizon or behind a mountain."

ed bell
10-30-2007, 09:23
"To tell how long until the sun is going to set, hold your hand up with your fingers touching and cover the sun with your thumb, each one of your fingers is 15 minutes. Using this you can calculate how long until the sun will drop below the horizon or behind a mountain."I always thought it was 8-10 min. per finger. Maybe the fella has fat fingers.:D

Newb
10-31-2007, 14:01

In that case I will have to get divorced in order to live a spartan existence. I'll break it to the spouse tonight. "Sorry, honey, it's you or the woods." :rolleyes:

Jan LiteShoe
10-31-2007, 14:26
In that case I will have to get divorced in order to live a spartan existence. I'll break it to the spouse tonight. "Sorry, honey, it's you or the woods." :rolleyes:

Sounds like you guys just made different choices.
It's puzzling to me why the idea that we all have to be/think the same is so strong.
Takes all kinds to make a world, my granny used to say.
:)

dessertrat
10-31-2007, 14:37
If you don't have any debt, you can live pretty cheaply in a tent. The fact is, most people unfortunately do have debt.

As for his physical feats, why is it that every time somebody does something cool like that, the naysayers come out of the woodwork and say he's a hoaxer?

Miss Janet
10-31-2007, 16:52
Hey, I didn't actually say he is a hoaxer! I said I AM SKEPTICAL!

The biggest part of his hikes that I have trouble believing are the many day of HUGE miles with a big heavy dog. Trauma might be capable... others have done so... but WITH A DOG???

mweinstone
10-31-2007, 17:06
i read the first and second posts and freaked. i hiked with traumma and his saint bernard. during my thru attempt in 06. he was summiting springer that day southbound from 30 mi out. i was going to neels that night. we stayed in a shelter together. it was great. he signed my pack. of course he exists and is the best type of conciderate polite loner.

mweinstone
10-31-2007, 17:12
i learned so much from him. in this important order. one. he never ever unleashes his dog or allows him to touch a water source. two. he is quiet and goes to bed apon arriving at his usual 10 pm or earlyer. and three. i am a very very fast and strong hiker able to keep up with folks like white crow and johnney thunder. i hike 20 and 27's. i allways hike 18 when i can. this dude flys. he dosnt run. hes not in a hurry. hes developed a rhythem and a gait and a style. it is what allows him to leave me winded in the first 100 yards. i never kept up with him longer at a time. i respect this kid alot. not for speed. for being the consumate human being while in the further places. as i do johnny and crow the same. i fall well short of being quiet or conciderate.

Squeaky 2
11-01-2007, 16:17
sorry miss janet but there is no way i can sit quite and hear any doubt over traumas integrety. i know him well and have hiked many days with him and can honestly say he his more than capable of hiking the miles he has. as for his dog yoni, she is always one step ahead on the trail and will be very pissed off about being left on the shore for his remarkable lake tahoe swim.

we chatted over many possible adventures and i know how high he sets the bar.

the bottom line is that if he said he has hiked the miles then be sure that he took every step no matter how tough it became.

good luck on the next one trauma

ed bell
11-01-2007, 16:45
Nice to hear from you Squeaky. Hope you are doing well.:)

mudhead
11-01-2007, 17:15
How's the angry hoof?

Best to you and yours.

Miss Janet
11-01-2007, 23:02
Squeaky 2 is not the Squeaky I know... are you his Dad?

I certainly am not attacking this hikers integrity... I was mentioning my doubts based on my very limited experience with hiking long distance at this kind of pace. My feeling is are based on watching a few thousand of you try to do 20+ mile days, day after day after day...and only hurt yourselves or flame out trying. Regardless of a hikers ability or his strength or his will willpower... Bad luck and unforeseen circumstances have to play into things as well, don't they?

But I guess I am wrong because it seems that several of you are of the same ability and have hiked for days and days with this hiker... and the dog... and can vouch for all the claims that are being made. Cool.

ed bell
11-01-2007, 23:07
Squeaky 2 is not the Squeaky I know... are you his Dad?

I believe that Squeaky uses his Mom's (Squeaky 2) login name. Not sure of that, but that is my understanding.:sun

Miss Janet
11-01-2007, 23:26
Hey Squeaky, I often find myself defending your hike to people who are ... "skeptical... The difference is that I was aware of you being out there... many, many people saw you and knew what you were doing. When I first heard the name Trauma there were 20 other current years hikers around and NONE of them had heard about the guy or what he was trying to do. I still have only heard from a dozen or so who saw him on all 3 trails combined...
In the end what could it possibly matter what I think?? Didn't you tell me that you set up these challenges for yourself and it doesn't matter what other people think?

A-Train
11-02-2007, 00:44
Hey Squeaky, I often find myself defending your hike to people who are ... "skeptical... The difference is that I was aware of you being out there... many, many people saw you and knew what you were doing. When I first heard the name Trauma there were 20 other current years hikers around and NONE of them had heard about the guy or what he was trying to do. I still have only heard from a dozen or so who saw him on all 3 trails combined...
In the end what could it possibly matter what I think?? Didn't you tell me that you set up these challenges for yourself and it doesn't matter what other people think?

Miss J, the reason very few hikers knew who he was was because he wasn't hiking the trails during thru-hiker season. He left Quebec in the fall and started on the AT I believe in october or november, hiking thru the winter. He then hiked on the PCT ahead of the pack-WAy ahead of the pack. I believe he was the first thru the Sierra in 06' by about a month. Finally he was on the CDT during the summer, but well, there aren't exactly a lot of people out there!

Hope you're doing well. DiD you ever get my phone msg from the Saufley;s??

Sly
11-02-2007, 00:48
I don't know, Trauma sounds wet behind the ears. ;)

minnesotasmith
11-02-2007, 07:31
I saw the guy last year, headed south as I was walking north, in GA. He had his dog with him. It was near Cooper Gap, if memory serves, in the aftermath of an ice storm, in medium fog, about Feb. 19th. He was not inclined to talk, dodging even returning my "Hello". He was moving steadily, not at all clumsily, apparently strongly concentrating on the ground, with a slightly pained facial expression. His dog seemed acceptant, even slightly happy, with its situation, and not at all unsettled with conditions. (I would not expect a full-grown St. Bernard to have problems with roughly freezing temperatures while moving during daylight hours.)

I talked to a couple of other hikers who saw him, including one who shared a shelter with him, and they said he was the quietest hiker they'd ever seen. The shelter-sharer said it was like he wasn't even there.

That's all I can say about the guy.

warren doyle
11-02-2007, 09:48
I feel that both Trauma and Squeaky are honorable individuals. I believe that they have accomplished what they say they have accomplished. Both have extended the boundaries and possibilities of long distance endurance hiking. I consider them both to be Olympians. I'm glad I had the privilege to meet and talk with both of them.