PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag ?

Chef
11-21-2003, 11:37
I currently have a 20 degree synthetic sierra designs bag, and dont know if i should use it on the at. Im thinkin about converting to a down bag mainly for the weight, but if it gets wet, i may be screwed and i will be using a tarp, not a tent the nights i dont get a spot in a lean-to. Opinions and recommendations on what i should do and recommended bags?

Blue Jay
11-21-2003, 11:44
Overall, I think the bag you have is a good one for the AT.

Footslogger
11-21-2003, 12:36
Chef ....I started my thru this year on 3/29 with a 20 degree bag. It happened to be a down bag but what's probably more relevant to your question is the rating. I carried that bag until Pearisburg, VA. By then the nights had warmed up and a 20 degree bag was overkill. I switched to a 50 degree lightweight synthetic bag in Pearisburg and carried it all the way to Glencliff, NH when I switched back to my 20 degree bag.

That combination worked well for me. Your mileage may vary. If weight is a concern you might want to look at the goose down alternatives. You'll can pick up as much as a pound of packweight by going with down over synthetic, bag ratings being equal.

Peaks
11-21-2003, 17:41
Both a synthetic and a down filled bag will work. The question is what's best for you and your budget.

Obviously, you need to be more careful with a down bag, but that's not a big deal.

Down bags are nice, and compress better than synthetics. But, the quality down is expensive. So, figure out if the cost is worth the savings in weight.

In any event, recommend a 40 degree bag between Mt. Rodgers and Glencliff.

chris
11-24-2003, 10:05
Since you already have the bag, I'd stick with it. If you want to spend some cash, get a bag that complements it rather than replaces it. For example, the WM Highlight would make a good summer bag for around $220. See my review of it in the Gear Reviews section. It went the length of the PCT with me this summer, so I know it rather well.