PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Blazing, Blue Blazing, Pink Blazing ...

Bootstrap
10-25-2007, 17:33
I've now run into the following terms:

Blue Blazing - taking a shortcut along (presumably blue blazed) side trails instead of the longer AT route.

Yellow Blazing - hitching a ride on a roadside segment, on a road that presumably has yellow stripes.

Pink Blazing - coming on to female hikers (who are presumably wearing pink blazers?)

Are there other idioms like this?

Jonathan

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 17:36
Blue Blazes ain't always shorter. They also don't always have blue-blazes. It does generally mean taking side trails other than the main AT.

Sly
10-25-2007, 17:38
You may have the third one right, but not necessarily the 1st two. Blue blazing doesn't necessarily mean short cutting, but hiking alternate trail to the official AT and you can road walk a yellow blaze without hitching (the original definition IIRC)

A-Train
10-25-2007, 17:40
It was always funny making references to blue and yellow blazing on the PCT and having non-AT vets scratching their heads wondering what the hell you were talking about. AT or PCT, no denying that everyone knows a good pink blaze when they see it, and it happens all the time!

Just a Hiker
10-25-2007, 17:41
Platinum Blazing- Living High on the Hog while on the Trail
Red Blazing-Bleeding from a fall on the trail (I do this one alot)
Aqua Blazing-Traveling by water
I am sure there are more funny ones out there!

Jim

warraghiyagey
10-25-2007, 18:22
. . . AT or PCT, no denying that everyone knows a good pink blaze when they see it, and it happens all the time!

Yikes and yuck:mad:

Mags
10-25-2007, 18:25
W..T..F.. Blazing: Found on the CDT, the Hayduke Trail, and other places where the "trail" often vanishes. :eek:

Montego
10-25-2007, 18:42
:D Orange Blazing - what happens when ya' spill your ingnited beer can stove fuel.

Footslogger
10-25-2007, 18:45
W..T..F.. Blazing: Found on the CDT, the Hayduke Trail, and other places where the "trail" often vanishes. :eek:

============================

That's kinda like "Hekawie" blazing right ...as in "Where the heckawie" ??

'Slogger

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 18:46
I've heard of Bar Blazing (getting from town to town to hit the bars)

My wife invented Chair Blazing - hiking to each chair on the way up Clingman's Dome - she was a purist in that regard.

saimyoji
10-25-2007, 18:47
Platinum Blazing- Living High on the Hog while on the Trail
Red Blazing-Bleeding from a fall on the trail (I do this one alot)
Aqua Blazing-Traveling by waterI am sure there are more funny ones out there!

Jim

There's a Grey Blazer. I forget what he does though. :-? :D

Mags
10-25-2007, 18:51
============================

That's kinda like "Hekawie" blazing right ...as in "Where the heckawie" ??

'Slogger

Yes! I like that! :D

Deadeye
10-25-2007, 19:01
There's brown blazing... at least until you get to the laundromat:D

Just a Hiker
10-25-2007, 19:05

I Grey Blaze alot....it has a medical term as well, it's called CRS! Cant Remember S**t!!:D

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 19:05
BTW, the BMT has white Blazes. So you are still WhiteBlazing it by going that way.

They are just diamond shaped. So maybe I need to coin a new phrase for what I am about to do in 13 weeks. How about diamond blazing?

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2007, 19:07
There was a guy who hitched a ride in a crop duster some years back.

That was an "aero-blaze".

And there are folks who go out of their way to attend Billville events while on the Trail. This is "red blazing" and is a wise thing to do.

Just a Hiker
10-25-2007, 19:14
There was a guy who hitched a ride in a crop duster some years back.

That was an "aero-blaze".

And there are folks who go out of their way to attend Billville events while on the Trail. This is "red blazing" and is a wise thing to do.

There was a kid in '05 who took a float plane from White House Landing to Monson. Now I know he was aero-blazing!!:)

Tin Man
10-25-2007, 19:15
I keep seeing references to these Billville events. Is this some secret society? There appears to be drinking involved, so is it safe to say it is BYO or is it BOFE (bring one for everyone)? Does your name have to have Bill in it somewhere? How does one apply for membership?

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 19:22
Show up. After that you will figure it out.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 19:31
I've now run into the following terms:

Blue Blazing - taking a shortcut along (presumably blue blazed) side trails instead of the longer AT route.

Yellow Blazing - hitching a ride on a roadside segment, on a road that presumably has yellow stripes.

Pink Blazing - coming on to female hikers (who are presumably wearing pink blazers?)

Are there other idioms like this?

Jonathan

blue-blazes aren't always shorter. most times not. but always prettier and more rewarding

Just a Hiker
10-25-2007, 19:33
blue-blazes aren't always shorter. most times not. but always prettier and more rewarding

I always blue-blaze through Rhododendron Gap......It's pretty nice.

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2007, 19:34
No secret at all. Billville is a loose collection of hiker friends, most of whom, (but not all) have thru-hiked the A.T. at least once. The folks in Billville get together several times over the course of a year, sometimes to put on feeds or special events for hikers; sometimes we do Trail work or maintenance somewhere; sometimes we just get together and cook. We have several annual get-togethers, including Trail Days and the ALDHA Gathering, where we generally camp together and hang out. We also get together during the winter and take over the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon for a weekend in March. And we get together the weekend after Thanksgiving and re-create the Holiday (some of the Billville people are really good cooks!)

But no....you don't have to be named Bill to be in Billville, nor is there a membership application. We're pretty open-minded and take all comers. We have soldiers and teachers and former military men and bookstore managers and bankers. We have drinkers and tea-totalers. We have observant Catholics and a few pagans, too. We have lots of Red Sox fans and also the occasional (tho thankfully rare) Yankees supporter. We have flaming liberals and also some whacko conservatives. We have Finnish death-metal enthusiasts and we have people who listen to nothing but Cash and Springsteen.

In short, Tin Man, we're pretty much open to anything, except maybe drum circles and contra dancing.

Drop by sometime! Billville is always looking for new faces.

And this goes for everyone else out there, too.

Cookerhiker
10-25-2007, 19:37
How about gold-blazing (better termed as gold-plated blazing) - those who spend big bucks on all the latest gear, gizmos, bells & whistles?:D

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 19:54
No secret at all. Billville is a loose collection of hiker friends, most of whom, (but not all) have thru-hiked the A.T. at least once. The folks in Billville get together several times over the course of a year, sometimes to put on feeds or special events for hikers; sometimes we do Trail work or maintenance somewhere; sometimes we just get together and cook. We have several annual get-togethers, including Trail Days and the ALDHA Gathering, where we generally camp together and hang out. We also get together during the winter and take over the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon for a weekend in March. And we get together the weekend after Thanksgiving and re-create the Holiday (some of the Billville people are really good cooks!)

But no....you don't have to be named Bill to be in Billville, nor is there a membership application. We're pretty open-minded and take all comers. We have soldiers and teachers and former military men and bookstore managers and bankers. We have drinkers and tea-totalers. We have observant Catholics and a few pagans, too. We have lots of Red Sox fans and also the occasional (tho thankfully rare) Yankees supporter. We have flaming liberals and also some whacko conservatives. We have Finnish death-metal enthusiasts and we have people who listen to nothing but Cash and Springsteen.

In short, Tin Man, we're pretty much open to anything, except maybe drum circles and contra dancing.

And this goes for everyone else out there, too.

f *** campfire stories though. :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2007, 20:02
"More rewarding" is in the eye of the beholder. Some blue-blazes are indeed very pretty. Some are merely road walks that are no more, and are often less scenic than the parts of the Trail that people elect to skip.

But to say that blue-blazes are ALWAYS prettier and more rewarding is a bit of a stretch.

T-Dubs
10-25-2007, 20:12
....But to say that blue-blazes are ALWAYS prettier and more rewarding is a bit of a stretch.

I would imagine these blue-blazed trails are shown on the ATC map set. But are there notes about these trails as to which is 'more rewarding' or which have features worth seeing? How does one know which 'path less traveled' is worth traveling?

Thanks,
TWS

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 20:15
I would imagine these blue-blazed trails are shown on the ATC map set. But are there notes about these trails as to which is 'more rewarding' or which have features worth seeing? How does one know which 'path less traveled' is worth traveling?

Thanks,
TWS
Some guidebooks have notes, most thru-hiking ones do not, or don't go into detail. Word of mouth is how I have found out about some of them.

Tin Man
10-25-2007, 21:24
We have lots of Red Sox fans and also the occasional (tho thankfully rare) Yankees supporter.

Oops, I will leave my #13 shirt home.

we're pretty much open to anything, except maybe drum circles and contra dancing.

Probably don't want any famous slack-packing contra dance instructors, huh? Good, but what about internagators?

:cool:

T-Dubs
10-25-2007, 22:12
Some guidebooks have notes, most thru-hiking ones do not, or don't go into detail. Word of mouth is how I have found out about some of them.

I remember a thread that referenced 'hobo.com' (I believe) that had some of those alternate trails listed. I wonder if anyone has that information in a file/document to share here. It would be nice to have that resource.

Tom

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 22:17
Well what I think would be nice to have someday is a forum or section that is "Alternate trails for the AT" so if someone was to be planning a Diamond Blaze he or she could come on WhiteBlaze and learn about the cool side trails and put them on their agenda prior to a hike. I have already started creating enough content here for someone to plan a BMT through.

notorius tic
10-25-2007, 22:19
Black and White Blaze (going to jail blaze) Greenblaze (geiardia) blaze Amberblaze (beer run)

A-Train
10-25-2007, 23:49
I've heard of Bar Blazing (getting from town to town to hit the bars)

My wife invented Chair Blazing - hiking to each chair on the way up Clingman's Dome - she was a purist in that regard.

If you want to "Bar Blaze", you've got to head out west and hike the PCT (the Pub Crawl Trail).

Jester2000
10-26-2007, 01:52
I remember a thread that referenced 'hobo.com' (I believe) that had some of those alternate trails listed. I wonder if anyone has that information in a file/document to share here. It would be nice to have that resource.

Tom

"Alas, poor hobocentral.com. I knew him well. But not well enough to have any of the files."

Lone Wolf
10-26-2007, 01:59
i was hobocentral's field rep

Jester2000
10-26-2007, 02:15
I was hobocentrals' lap dancer.

minnesotasmith
10-26-2007, 02:41

Think more like what a guy from San Fran might do, instead of pink blazing...

EWS
10-26-2007, 04:29

Live without women in his life till his late forties and then attempt to negoiate with younger woman to rent their womb, or is that just a Minnesota thing?

Turkey Baster Blazing?

camojack
10-26-2007, 05:09
f *** campfire stories though. :rolleyes:
Yeah! :cool:

nitewalker
10-26-2007, 07:14
thats just too funny. i recentl went up franconia ridge and my buddy needed a pit stop. well instead of standing around and wait i slowly moved forward. upon catching back up to me after his pit stop i gave him the trail name" brown blazer"...needless to say i stayed in the front after that mess....:D

minnesotasmith
10-27-2007, 03:26
Live without women in his life till his late forties and then attempt to negoiate with younger woman to rent their womb, or is that just a Minnesota thing?

Turkey Baster Blazing?

I was married for a decade, and have generally had someone in my life as an adult. I do now, as a matter of fact... :)

Blue Jay
10-27-2007, 08:22
I keep seeing references to these Billville events. Is this some secret society?

Yes it is? Although I have never been a part of it, I have studied it for many years with very little definitive data. It is much like Camalot (the play, not the political BS) or Spamalot. It appears here or there, now and then, for a day or two and then disappers leaving a strange odor. The few times I've been close to Billville my memory seems to drift away.

MOWGLI
10-27-2007, 08:34
I was married for a decade, and have generally had someone in my life as an adult. I do now, as a matter of fact... :)

Lucky Ewe.

warraghiyagey
10-27-2007, 12:47
Lucky Ewe.

MOWGLI, you slay me man. Thanks, now I've got to clean half chewed ramen off my screen.
Mr. Sm i i i thhh. Come Baaaa a a ack.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-27-2007, 15:00
Lucky Ewe.::: Paramedics seen leaving after resuscitating Dino who nearly laughed self to death :::

Sly
10-27-2007, 15:23
Lucky Ewe.

MS and friend.

MOWGLI
10-27-2007, 15:26
::: Paramedics seen leaving after resuscitating Dino who nearly laughed self to death :::

MS and friend.

FD, time to break out Photoshop?

Jester2000
10-27-2007, 15:50
I keep seeing references to these Billville events. Is this some secret society?

There's no such thing as Billville. It exists no more than does Brigadoon.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-27-2007, 16:08
FD, time to break out Photoshop?Would I do such a thing? (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/MSSmithEwe.jpg)

MOWGLI
10-27-2007, 16:21
Would I do such a thing? (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/MSSmithEwe.jpg)

Is that a roll of toilet paper in the foreground? I think I understand the 6 rolls a bit better now. :eek:

mudhead
10-27-2007, 16:22
And I thought I had a warped mind.

dessertrat
10-27-2007, 16:25

Do you do this stuff on purpose? :-?

Tennessee Viking
10-27-2007, 17:48
Blue blazes, other than water and shelter trails, are usually old AT routes or alternate trails for by-pass purposes.

Laurel Fork section has a blue blaze when the creek floods covering the trail.

Big Bald & Big Butt has a by pass trail for fog and cloud cover.

White blazers are hikers that hike the entire trail.

Yellow Blazers are hikers that pick up rides to other sections, bypassing a section of trail.

StarLyte
10-27-2007, 18:21
Blue blazing is mostly horse trails, possible short cuts (few), and/or just another path--but usually an interesting one ;)

You'll hike them all sooner or later :D

Jack Tarlin
10-27-2007, 18:45
And a lot of blue blazes are actually on the old A.T........pretty stuff that most of today's hikers never see.

woodsy
10-27-2007, 19:11
Would I do such a thing? (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/MSSmithEwe.jpg)

The dude(MS) is waaaaay toooooo clean shaven. HOW BOUT SOME WHISKAS AND A STACHE to make him look more like a real thru hiker.

Uncle Silly
10-28-2007, 13:33
Black and White Blaze (going to jail blaze) Greenblaze (geiardia) blaze Amberblaze (beer run)

The term "Green blazing" is actually used to describe two things, neither of which is giardia... (1) a day of extreme laziness, in which one has both blue blazed and yellow blazed (cause yellow and blue make green)... and (2) smokin' some of that good ol' not-tobacco stuff...

:D

Sly
10-28-2007, 15:10
The term "Green blazing" is actually used to describe two things, neither of which is giardia... (1) a day of extreme laziness, in which one has both blue blazed and yellow blazed (cause yellow and blue make green)... and (2) smokin' some of that good ol' not-tobacco stuff...

:D

Not that I'd do any of the above but, green happens to be my favorite color! ;) .

warraghiyagey
10-28-2007, 16:13
Not that I'd do any of the above but, green happens to be my favorite color! ;) .

Green blazing. MMmmmmmm.

Uncle Silly
10-28-2007, 17:59

Mine too. I'm genetically predisposed tho. You might say I have a greene thumb. Two of 'em, in fact. :D

Sly
10-28-2007, 18:02
Mine too. I'm genetically predisposed tho. You might say I have a greene thumb. Two of 'em, in fact. :D

That's good to know! :D

sloopjonboswell
10-28-2007, 18:12
beer blazing-

whiskey blazing -

duder blazing- the opposite of pink blazing

green blazing- keeping pace w/ a generous hiker who has a big bag

brown blazing- leaving the AT to hit the privy

survival blazing- missing a section due to running out of food or resources

bike blazing- bike riding around or through crappy sections like the shenandoahs

minnesotasmith
10-29-2007, 00:03
The dude(MS) is waaaaay toooooo clean shaven. HOW BOUT SOME WHISKAS AND A STACHE to make him look more like a real thru hiker.

Doesn't a pic of me standing atop Katahdin (and at Springer, Kent, etc.) do that better than me skipping some personal hygiene for months on end, instead of the usual 5-7 days between hostels?

Gray Blazer
10-29-2007, 10:49

That's GRAY (not grey) Blazer. I'm named after my Gray Chevy Blazer. A grey (that's GREY) blazer rides the big grey dog (Greyhound). That's prolly mentioned already, but I haven't read all the posts on this thread yet. :) Thanks for the validation. :)

Desert Lobster
10-29-2007, 12:21
Stay away from the brown-blazing!

warraghiyagey
10-29-2007, 12:49
Moderator did a great job this morning. Thank you. I'm glad notice was taken on both my post and the one that inspired it.
Peace:) :)

dixicritter
10-29-2007, 12:53
Moderator did a great job this morning. Thank you. I'm glad notice was taken on both my post and the one that inspired it.
Peace:) :)

No problem! ;)

warraghiyagey
10-29-2007, 12:56
No problem! ;)

100 points to you. You're now only 100 points behind Dino who had a big day yesterday.

slowandlow
10-31-2007, 11:55
I define green blazing as picking snot/boogers from nose and wiping on trailside trees.

warraghiyagey
10-31-2007, 12:10
I define green blazing as picking snot/boogers from nose and wiping on trailside trees.
Thanks for sharing.:eek: :datz :mad: :(

woodsy
11-04-2007, 22:37
The true meaning of brown blazing can be seen in this picture. (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19509) It ain't what Ms said it is. Anyone care to dispute this?

Uncle Silly
11-05-2007, 00:22
The true meaning of brown blazing can be seen in this picture. (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19509) It ain't what Ms said it is. Anyone care to dispute this?

That's one hell of a skidmark...

warraghiyagey
11-05-2007, 04:42

Thanks Woodsy for bringing the beauty of a trail into an otherwise crass thread.

Bare Bear
11-05-2007, 19:59
Often times (Spy Rock, Fire Towers, Waterfalls) are off the AT white blazes and are BLUE BLAZED. I always tried to go do the Blue then back track to the white blazes because it is prettier, and you might only do that trail once.

Bare Bear
11-05-2007, 20:02
Hey Gray Blazer, you and I both have the gray hair so are you sure of that definition?? smiles, Bare Bear
CHS Class of 1970 Go Tornados

Pootz
11-06-2007, 05:20
I love all of the blazing terminology.

Retro Blazing - hiking old sections of the trail in place of new sections when available.

The only problem I have seen is that the young hikers use them to justify skipping parts of the trail. I was surprised how many hikers claimed to be thru hikers during my 07 thru hike, but openly admitted skipping part of the trail. For some this was a few miles, others skipped large sections of trail.

pitdog
11-06-2007, 08:48
First, I love the white blazes and then the pink.Although,the blue blaze ,at times,can be more scenic.Has anyone ever hiked mostly blue blazes?

Gray Blazer
11-06-2007, 08:55
Hey Gray Blazer, you and I both have the gray hair so are you sure of that definition?? smiles, Bare Bear
CHS Class of 1970 Go Tornados We're both tornadoes, too. I have been accused on this website of not being truly gray. :confused:

warraghiyagey
11-06-2007, 16:20
. . .Has anyone ever hiked mostly blue blazes?

Uh oh. Trouble brewing.:rolleyes:

weary
11-06-2007, 16:38
Blue blazes, other than water and shelter trails, are usually old AT routes or alternate trails for by-pass purposes. .....
Most blue blazed trails in Maine lead to scenic overlooks, waterfalls, or other scenic places -- like Gulf Hagas and the new Grafton Loop Trail. Most are to places that a maintainer thought hikers should see. Three of the best are to the bottom of Dunn Notch Falls and, of course, Gulf Hagas, and Grafton Loop.

Others are access trails to intercept the trail, for instance the White Brook Trail, which I maintained for a quarter century or so -- ever since I complained that it was overgrown and was told the "perhaps you would like to maintain it." My youngest kid was around 10 at the time. He's now 40.

There are also a couple of "high water trails." At the moment, I can't think of any that are "short cuts" but there probably are some.

FRankly, when I walked north from Springer in 1993, most blue blazed trails that I noticed were for access also, or to scenic or historic attractions. Very few were shortcuts, though I took a couple that were.

Weary

floyd242
11-06-2007, 16:59
Here's an archive of the hobocentral blue blaze page

http://web.archive.org/web/20030413191652/http://www.hobocentral.com/BlueBlazes/FavoriteBlueBlazes.htm

Just click on the states.

It's from April 2003 so who knows how accurate it is.

Kirby
11-06-2007, 20:39
I was disapointed with Gulf Hagus, was not worth the trip I took for, IMO. The Grafton Loop trail is complete and open, and the campsites are coming along. All marked sites have tent platforms, and a couple have privies, eventually, all will have prives.

Technically, the trail to the summit of Sugarloaf is a blue blaze, the summit nice on a clear day, a place to stay at the top if it is needed.

If anyone in Maine is looking for a nice loop, check out the Wright Trail, I was quite pleased with it.

Kirby

warraghiyagey
11-07-2007, 05:34
I was disapointed with Gulf Hagus, was not worth the trip I took for, IMO. Kirby

Did you do the whole Gulf Hagas Trail? You're the first person I've heard that didn't like it. It's definitely going to be part of my SOBO this coming June.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2007, 07:30
Here's an archive of the hobocentral blue blaze page

http://web.archive.org/web/20030413191652/http://www.hobocentral.com/BlueBlazes/FavoriteBlueBlazes.htm

Just click on the states.

It's from April 2003 so who knows how accurate it is.

they're still accurate. Hobocentral sure is missed

Johnny Thunder
11-07-2007, 11:41
I was disapointed with Gulf Hagus, was not worth the trip I took for, IMO. The Grafton Loop trail is complete and open, and the campsites are coming along. All marked sites have tent platforms, and a couple have privies, eventually, all will have prives.

Technically, the trail to the summit of Sugarloaf is a blue blaze, the summit nice on a clear day, a place to stay at the top if it is needed.

If anyone in Maine is looking for a nice loop, check out the Wright Trail, I was quite pleased with it.

Kirby

Help me identify a blue blaze in the 100 Mile Wilderness...

Directly after a decent ford (not the first one 12 to 15 miles North of Monson...this is one you might encounter somewhere around the 4th day NoBo). Right before the river crossing there must have been car access as there were a number of day hikers on the day that I passed through. The blue blaze is about 3/4ths of a mile to these great waterfalls. What's that one called?

MOWGLI
11-07-2007, 11:50
Help me identify a blue blaze in the 100 Mile Wilderness...

Directly after a decent ford (not the first one 12 to 15 miles North of Monson...this is one you might encounter somewhere around the 4th day NoBo). Right before the river crossing there must have been car access as there were a number of day hikers on the day that I passed through. The blue blaze is about 3/4ths of a mile to these great waterfalls. What's that one called?

Sounds like Gulf Hagas. More like day 2.

Flush2wice
11-07-2007, 11:57
Yeah, that's gulf hagas. Curious to see Kirby was disappointed. I did the loop trail in '96 and thought it was spectacular. I also rescued an old lady who was lost, but that's a different story.

LionKing
11-07-2007, 15:04
"EgoBlazing"

Carrying a set pack, Hiking specific trails, staying at designated hostels, hotels, or eating at certain spots because a Trail Legend told you that you had to.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-07-2007, 15:42
"EgoBlazing"

Carrying a set pack, Hiking specific trails, staying at designated hostels, hotels, or eating at certain spots because a Trail Legend told you that you had to.::: Dino wipes coffee off monitor and keyboard :::

Mags
11-07-2007, 16:28
"EgoBlazing"

Carrying a set pack, Hiking specific trails, staying at designated hostels, hotels, or eating at certain spots because a Trail Legend told you that you had to.

The Snow Wampas told me to stay in a snow cave....

Johnny Thunder
11-07-2007, 16:55
Sounds like Gulf Hagas. More like day 2.

Probably was day 2...I last hiked there almost 15 years ago.

AT-HITMAN2005
11-07-2007, 17:23
i thought gulf hagas was pretty cool. what i saw of it at least, i was lazy and stashed my pack near the start, and like a fool left the pack cover off. started to rain so went back to take care of it, only did about half of it. pretty amazing waterfalls i thought, but we don't have a lot of those here in florida.

mudhead
11-07-2007, 18:23
Can't hunt waterfalls in a dryspell.

I like to go up the tote trail, and work downstream. Good swimming spot down from screw auger.

Hooch
12-04-2007, 11:19
Pink Blazing - coming on to female hikers That's definitely a new one on me! I like it. :D I'll have to remember that on my first section in the spring.

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 12:10
That's definitely a new one on me! I like it. :D I'll have to remember that on my first section in the spring.
Please don't. It's a term that reflects a rather nasty part of humanity on the trail. If you see a female hiker she likely is there because she wants to hike, not to have some drooling letch gurgling around her.

Hooch
12-04-2007, 12:16
Please don't. It's a term that reflects a rather nasty part of humanity on the trail. If you see a female hiker she likely is there because she wants to hike, not to have some drooling letch gurgling around her.
No need for name calling and I have my drooling well under controol, thank you very much. It's just a joke, let's not get all serious now.

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 12:20
No need for name calling and I have my drooling well under controol, thank you very much. It's just a joke, let's not get all serious now.

Okay, but it's not always easy to get a faceless persons meaning, and our sisters on the trail and here at WB may not find it as funny. The term Pink Blazing has a quite nefarious meaning.

Hooch
12-04-2007, 12:29
Okay, but it's not always easy to get a faceless persons meaning, and our sisters on the trail and here at WB may not find it as funny. The term Pink Blazing has a quite nefarious meaning.Then consider the term forgottem. Again, being a newbie to the AT community, I'm still learning all these terms that come up. I don't wish to make waves, much less enemies, among anyone here on along the trail. My apologies to anyone who may have been offended. :D

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 12:46
Then consider the term forgottem. Again, being a newbie to the AT community, I'm still learning all these terms that come up. I don't wish to make waves, much less enemies, among anyone here on along the trail. My apologies to anyone who may have been offended. :D
Sweet. It's all good, friend. Enjoy the site. When do you start your hike?:)

Hooch
12-04-2007, 12:57
Sweet. It's all good, friend. Enjoy the site. When do you start your hike?:) I did a couple short sections last year, but plan to do a couple longer ones this year with Doc. We haven't set anything in stone yet, but we're considering doing the Smokies from Fontana to I-40, Springer to NC/GA line or the Maryland section from Harper's Ferry to PenMar. We're thinking mid-spring or so and again in the fall, just depends on work schedules and the whatnot.

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 13:02
Nice. I may run into you in the fall. I'm Starting at Katahdin June 1st.

Hooch
12-04-2007, 13:03
Nice. I may run into you in the fall. I'm Starting at Katahdin June 1st.Starting a thru?

Furlough
12-04-2007, 13:19
BTW, the BMT has white Blazes. So you are still WhiteBlazing it by going that way.

They are just diamond shaped. So maybe I need to coin a new phrase for what I am about to do in 13 weeks. How about diamond blazing?

I think Elizabeth Taylor may be the original Diamond Blazer. :D

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 13:24
You got me there.:p

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 13:34
Starting a thru?
Yupperdoodle!:) :) :)

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 13:36

Really, was she older than Liberace?? :D

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 13:39
Really, was she older than Liberace?? :D
Liberace started on the approach trail - rhinestones.

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 13:41
Liberace started on the approach trail - rhinestones.
So many different ways to go from there. Think I'll just not.

Uncle Silly
12-04-2007, 13:52
So many different ways to go from there. Think I'll just not.

That's really the best policy.

astrogirl
12-04-2007, 22:59
I've heard the old AT called "ghost blazing". I've accidently wound up on it myself!

The Mau-Har trail is an outstanding blue blaze. It has an awesome swimming hole.

(Just north of the Tye River, from Harper's Creek to Maupin Field Shelter)

astrogirl
12-04-2007, 23:05
Oh, and one more, I almost forgot.

The Tuscarora Trail which runs from SNP (At Overall Run) to Darlington Shelter in PA used to be called "The Big Blue". At one time, it was believed that the ATC would not be able to acquire parts of the AT in Northern VA and MD, and they built this alternate route, just in case they lost the right of way.

Now it's a trail in it's own right, and it's now called the Tuscarora Trail. I've only done bits of it. Some those are on Massanutten Mountain, a lovely place to hike, and some were on Great North Mountain on the WV/VA line, also a darn nice place to hike.

Patrickjd9
12-04-2007, 23:07

So that's where my wife got the idea...though she did really, really well for someone with two metal knees:).

Uncle Silly
12-04-2007, 23:16
I've heard the old AT called "ghost blazing". I've accidently wound up on it myself!

The Mau-Har trail is an outstanding blue blaze. It has an awesome swimming hole.

(Just north of the Tye River, from Harper's Creek to Maupin Field Shelter)

That Mau-Har trail is old AT. I'd stick with "retro-blazing" if the bit of old AT you're following is still in use. The Mau-Har, for example, is well-maintained and easy to follow.

But if you find yourself on a stretch of trail, overgrown, not maintained, and on a tree here or there you can just make out a whisper of a white rectangle, you might be "ghost blazing".... oooOOOOOoooo!

cindellasaurus
01-06-2010, 18:39
Lucky Ewe.

Oh boy! I'm glad I went and peed right BEFORE I read that!!!!

cindellasaurus
01-06-2010, 18:45
Oh, I'm also glad I'm over two years too late for this thread, haha.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 18:47
:welcome:welcome

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 18:51
One thing I have learned is its never too late, especially during the down time here on WB

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 18:55

Hahahahahahahaha!

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2010, 19:09
I posted in this thing?

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2010, 19:12
Oh, I totally did. Must have been before my whole count-to-ten / only-post-in-jest New Year's resolutions circa 2008.

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 19:29
I posted in this thing?

I can't believe I posted three times in this thread while it was active. No wonder my post count has gotten ridiculous.

Sly
01-06-2010, 19:32
I can't believe I posted three times in this thread while it was active. No wonder my post count has gotten ridiculous.

Made me look. I had 4 previous post.