PDA

View Full Version : Pocket mail

Crabby Appleton
10-25-2007, 19:47
As an '08 thru hike planner, I want to try to journal as often as possible. I understand that the use of pocket mail has been used successfully by many. My cell carrier tells me that analog equip. is being discontinued in early 08. Pocket mail confirms that they have no answer to this problem. I'm thinking about a blackberry w/ collapsable lite weight keyborad (blue tooth). Anybody got a better idea?

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2007, 19:53
A long journal entry on a blackberry will drive you crazy. You really wanna do this once or twice a day for six months??

I'd just write out your journal longhand and Priority Mail it to a reliable transcriber every week or so.

It's really remarkable how much of their trip time some folks end up devoting to their diaries. In many cases, it's TOO much time. Make sure your journal is an accompaniment to your trip and not a dominator of it.

WILLIAM HAYES
10-25-2007, 20:07
Look at the olympus recorders for about 40 bucks they can record 9 hrs or so and are very light weight and can be downloaded to a pc

Sly
10-25-2007, 20:12
As an '08 thru hike planner, I want to try to journal as often as possible. I understand that the use of pocket mail has been used successfully by many. My cell carrier tells me that analog equip. is being discontinued in early 08. Pocket mail confirms that they have no answer to this problem. I'm thinking about a blackberry w/ collapsable lite weight keyborad (blue tooth). Anybody got a better idea?

Some cell phones work with Pocketmail...

Check here (http://www.pocketmail.com/us/customers/cellphones_usa/index.php?loc=us&sec=customers&pg=cellphones_usa)

Edit: That may not work... Here's what the website sez..

PocketMail handhelds can be used with virtually any phone, including cell phones, landlines and pay phones.

PocketMail handhelds are compatible with virtually all analog cell networks plus most digital cell networks in both analog and digital mode. PocketMail devices are compatible with all GSM networks, however are not compatible with CDMA networks.