PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Menstruation During/After Thru-hike

SassySue
10-26-2007, 11:29
I completed my thru-hike in early october. During the course of my thru-hike my periods shortened from their normal 28 day cycle to a 22 day cycle. Now that I am off the trail I am "late" by my new cycle. I am just wondering if any else experienced this, and if so did their cycle eventually normalize.

Pennsylvania Rose
10-26-2007, 12:10
Haven't thruhiked, but I do know from other experiences that big changes in your activity level (and other things, like having a baby, big dietary changes, weight loss/gain) can mess with your cycle. As your body readjusts to not hiking long distances every day, you'll probably settle into a new pattern. If not, see your doctor.

Blissful
10-26-2007, 13:30
Mine went crazy during my hike. I went from 21 days to two weeks to eight weeks to two weeks, I never knew when it was gonna hit. Not sure what your age is, but I am also perimenopausal. I'd give it a few months to normalize. Agree with PA Rose. Everything in your system right now is topsey turvey. It will take time.

Spirit Walker
10-26-2007, 18:35
As others have said, becoming irregular is not unusual for thruhikers, or anyone in times of either physical or emotional stress. I used to skip for three or four months at a time, not just when I hiked but also when I lost weight, when I started college and when I lived abroad for a year.

If it is a problem for you, talk to your doctor. BC pills may help put you back on a regular schedule.