PDA

View Full Version : Camp Shoes

partinj
10-26-2007, 13:01
Well these are the camp shoes i plan on taking with me they are really lite fit petty good. let know what you guys think :-?

Pedaling Fool
10-26-2007, 13:10
I think they would be great during the wet and cold sections (especially good for fording in Maine), but not so great during the summer. May want to start with them and then mail them to yourself somewhere up north. Probably use cheap generic crocs in the summer.

BTW, how much do they weigh?

P.S. I assume you're thru-hiking.

partinj
10-26-2007, 13:27
Yes i start my Thur-Hike on Feb 04 2008 they only weight 6oz

Deadeye
10-26-2007, 13:28
Those look like the beach shoes I have, and I use them once a year when I jump into ice water for charity. Comfy enough for camp shoes when dry, but they'll fill up with water and take time to dry out.

I second the previous recommendation for Crocs - sandals or shoes.

Blissful
10-26-2007, 13:34
Take crocs - there are knock offs that people seem to like and they dry very quickly.

Bootstrap
10-26-2007, 13:48
Take crocs - there are knock offs that people seem to like and they dry very quickly.

I use crocs even in the rain and cold weather, as long as I'm not standing out in the rain. Cheap knockoffs, not the brand name items. Work good for me.

Jonathan

Deadeye
10-26-2007, 14:49
I use crocs even in the rain and cold weather, as long as I'm not standing out in the rain. Cheap knockoffs, not the brand name items. Work good for me.

Jonathan

Do you actually hike in them in the rain, or just use as camp shoes?

taildragger
10-26-2007, 14:55
Start walking barefoot now and get some callous built up, cheap and lightweight alternative, and amazingly breathable.

Bootstrap
10-26-2007, 15:15
Do you actually hike in them in the rain, or just use as camp shoes?

Just as camp shoes. I'm one of those old dinosaurs that uses traditional hiking boots, though I'm open minded on the issue and will probably try trail runners one of these days.

Jonathan

AT-HITMAN2005
10-26-2007, 15:30
get some crocs(brand name or otherwise) that don't have the little holes in them, you can walk around in the rain and wet grass in them. they were great. socks stay mostly dry. only problem was ventilatin, obviously.

IdahoDavid
10-26-2007, 15:32
I came across a real nice sandal-croc hybried at Big 5 here in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. It is made entirely of the same kind of material that Crocs are made from but is shaped like some of the rubber/nylon/leather water shoes you see advertised for $85-100. These cost about $14 and have served me all summer for non-hiking purposes. I like them because they drain and dry quickly and they stay on your feet in the water. They also have plenty of airflow around your feet so that they don't trap moisture. I will take a picture of them and put it on here and try to get a brand name for you.

IdahoDavid
10-26-2007, 15:33
I came across a real nice sandal-croc hybrid at Big 5 here in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. It is made entirely of the same kind of material that Crocs are made from but is shaped like some of the rubber/nylon/leather water shoes you see advertised for $85-100. These cost about $14 and have served me all summer for non-hiking purposes. I like them because they drain and dry quickly and they stay on your feet in the water. They also have plenty of airflow around your feet so that they don't trap moisture. I will take a picture of them and put it on here and try to get a brand name for you.

IdahoDavid
10-27-2007, 21:59
These are called Komodos.

Hurley
10-27-2007, 22:29
Black reef sandals. Being from Florida and having surfed for so many years I wear sandals more then I do shoes. Just second nature to me.

Smile
10-27-2007, 23:19
I found the Crocs to be very slippery, even with plenty of "tread" on them. Liked the lightweight, but am looking for another alternative.

Doughnut
10-28-2007, 10:25
I had a pair of those beach shoes, after a few wearings, they stunk, and I could not get the smell out, (I do not usually have a problem with smelly feet) Those things were just nasty.
Now I use Croc-knock-offs from wally world, $5.00
I had original Crocs, ($35.00) but lost one on the train in NC, I'd rather lose a cheap copy - but that's just me, LOL

rafe
10-28-2007, 10:35
Just a thought, but if you're hiking in lightweight shoes (trail runners) you really don't need camp shoes. I switched from "boots" to trail runners this summer, and when I did, I sent the crocs home along with the boots.

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 11:09
Well these are the camp shoes i plan on taking with me they are really lite fit petty good. let know what you guys think :-?

If I recall correctly, these were popular before Crocs came on the scene - very lightweight, and not bulky, either.