PDA

View Full Version : Help me lightne my gear list <gulp>

bajabackpacker
10-26-2007, 15:19
Ok, so I work at an outdoor gear store and can prodeal everything on this list so please don't berade me for this uber-expensive gear, heh.

Baselayer:
Icebreaker Tech T Lite or Capilene 1 for hot weather 4.5oz
Capilene 2 for 70's 5.5oz
Capilene 3 for 50's 8oz
Capilene 3 bottoms 5.5oz
Ex Officio give n go boxer brief 4oz

27.5oz

Hiking:
I'll be using one of my baselayer tops and an synthetic athletic short
and some gaiters (for rain protection and trowel runs)
3oz for shorts, 6.7oz for the gaiters 10oz

I also plan on using a MH Ascent Packshirt for slight wind protection but more so to have something clean looking for towns that is functional enough to wear for some wind protection. 9oz

Ex Officio Buzz Off Bandana 4.5oz
23.5oz

Camp Clothing / Warmth:
Patagonia R1 Flash Pullover
(similar to about 150 weight fleece) 9.9oz
Patagonia R2 Flash Pullover
(similar to about 250-300 weight fleece) 12.2oz

Now, I'm not sure if this is going to be overkill. I've tried them both on at once (Capilene 2 with R1 ontop and then R2 ontop and I felt comfortably warm inside a 60-70F store). I feel like it could be a little too much though considering all of my other baselayers. However, I plan on taking these in lieu of a fleece or a down jacket, they are super compressible and offer better layering than a traditional fleece in my option.

MH Heavyweight Powerstretch glove 1oz
MH Alpinsta Hat (I have something similar to this) 1oz

24.2oz

Cooking and Water

MSR Reactor 21oz
MSR Titan Cup 1.9oz
Plastic Spoon 1/2 handle (to appease you ULers :p)
MSR 4oz Isopure Cannister 8oz
MSR Dromlite 6 liter
(I drink about 5-6 liter when I hike) 5.7oz
MSR Hydration Kit 2.4oz
MSR Miox 8oz
(MSR Rep said that a new, high flow, lightweight pump is hitting the market 01/08 though so I don't know if I'll take the Miox)
Plastic 1liter gatorade bottle for backup 1oz

48oz

Sleep System
Toughskin Thermarest
(it's heavy but it's worth it to me, I'm paranoid of pops ever since my trip to baja, popped thermarest = no ground insulation = 20deg+ drop in bag warmth, it also has a insulation rating of 5.2 compared to 3.2 with a prolite) 40oz
MSR Hubba Hubba
I might be doing this with a partner and I already have this tent, the Hubba is only like 1lb lighter and the Hubba Hubba opens up a lot more opportunities than a single hubba does, :banana , hah 62oz
Not sure about sleeping bag yet, I've read that some people start with a 20d and then maildrop a 40d later? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have one that I used in Mexico but I slept rather cold (I think due to the popped thermarest). Let's start with a MH Phantom 32 22oz

104oz

Backpack:
Osprey Atmos 65 58oz
Osprey Packcover 4.25oz

62.25oz

Things I forgot to mention:
Ipod shuffle with earbuds and wire 2oz
Outdoor Research Celestial Rain Jacket 10.2oz
4 pairs of Bridgedale Ventrium Light Hikers 8oz?
Crocs 3oz?
Leki Trekking Poles (not sure which ones yet)
Kershaw Carabiner/Knife/Multitool 2.7oz

25.9oz

Total Weight 315.35oz or 19.7lbs

Overall, I think that I've included everything, I have maximized my comfort and I'm still under 20lbs base pack. Let me know what you guys think.

bajabackpacker
10-26-2007, 15:21
help me learn how to not typo my thread title too :P heh

SGT Rock
10-26-2007, 15:33
Ok, so I work at an outdoor gear store and can prodeal everything on this list so please don't berade me for this uber-expensive gear, heh.

Baselayer:
Icebreaker Tech T Lite or Capilene 1 for hot weather 4.5oz
Capilene 2 for 70's 5.5oz
Capilene 3 for 50's 8oz
Capilene 3 bottoms 5.5oz
Ex Officio give n go boxer brief 4oz

27.5oz

Hiking:
I'll be using one of my baselayer tops and an synthetic athletic short
and some gaiters (for rain protection and trowel runs)
3oz for shorts, 6.7oz for the gaiters 10oz

I also plan on using a MH Ascent Packshirt for slight wind protection but more so to have something clean looking for towns that is functional enough to wear for some wind protection. 9oz

Ex Officio Buzz Off Bandana 4.5oz
23.5oz

Camp Clothing / Warmth:
Patagonia R1 Flash Pullover
(similar to about 150 weight fleece) 9.9oz
Patagonia R2 Flash Pullover
(similar to about 250-300 weight fleece) 12.2oz

Now, I'm not sure if this is going to be overkill. I've tried them both on at once (Capilene 2 with R1 ontop and then R2 ontop and I felt comfortably warm inside a 60-70F store). I feel like it could be a little too much though considering all of my other baselayers. However, I plan on taking these in lieu of a fleece or a down jacket, they are super compressible and offer better layering than a traditional fleece in my option.

MH Heavyweight Powerstretch glove 1oz
MH Alpinsta Hat (I have something similar to this) 1oz

24.2oz

Cooking and Water

MSR Reactor 21oz
OUCH! You could trim a hell of a lot of weight there. Get a 3.8 ounce pot and a 2.7 ounce stove.

MSR Titan Cup 1.9oz
I reccomend just a plastic mug

Plastic Spoon 1/2 handle (to appease you ULers :p)
MSR 4oz Isopure Cannister 8oz
MSR Dromlite 6 liter
(I drink about 5-6 liter when I hike) 5.7oz
MSR Hydration Kit 2.4oz
I'm not familiar with the hydration kit, but you could just go with a 6L bag and have more than enough water.

MSR Miox 8oz Get polar pure and go with about 3 ounces.

(MSR Rep said that a new, high flow, lightweight pump is hitting the market 01/08 though so I don't know if I'll take the Miox)
Plastic 1liter gatorade bottle for backup 1oz

48oz

Sleep System
Toughskin Thermarest
(it's heavy but it's worth it to me, I'm paranoid of pops ever since my trip to baja, popped thermarest = no ground insulation = 20deg+ drop in bag warmth, it also has a insulation rating of 5.2 compared to 3.2 with a prolite) 40oz
Double ouch. my hammock, pad, and tarp don't even weigh this much. I think you are overkilling that. But you have to sleep with it.

MSR Hubba Hubba
I might be doing this with a partner and I already have this tent, the Hubba is only like 1lb lighter and the Hubba Hubba opens up a lot more opportunities than a single hubba does, :banana , hah 62oz
Not sure about sleeping bag yet, I've read that some people start with a 20d and then maildrop a 40d later? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have one that I used in Mexico but I slept rather cold (I think due to the popped thermarest). Let's start with a MH Phantom 32 22oz
Start with the 20F bag and open it up to use like a quilt. I know a guy that was planning that until he realized he was only saving himself about 4 ounces because his 20F bag was already so light.

104oz

Backpack:
Osprey Atmos 65 58oz
Osprey Packcover 4.25oz

62.25oz

Things I forgot to mention:
Ipod shuffle with earbuds and wire 2oz
Outdoor Research Celestial Rain Jacket 10.2oz
4 pairs of Bridgedale Ventrium Light Hikers 8oz?
Crocs 3oz?
Leki Trekking Poles (not sure which ones yet)
Kershaw Carabiner/Knife/Multitool 2.7oz

25.9oz

Total Weight 315.35oz or 19.7lbs

Overall, I think that I've included everything, I have maximized my comfort and I'm still under 20lbs base pack. Let me know what you guys think.
Maps, guidebook, compass, journal, towel, hygine, etc?

envirodiver
10-26-2007, 15:58
Headlamp?

Seems like an awful lot of clothes. Couldn't the same thing be accomplished using about half of those and mix-and-matching.

Heavy thermarest, but they are nice and comfy.

hopefulhiker
10-26-2007, 16:37
I predict that if you went with all that you might be dropping gear sooner than you think...

You can train yourself to get by with less comfortable stuff... My base weight was about 8-9 lbs... I used an airmattress and a cutdown ridgerest.. still a lot.

Unless I was going with another person I would stay with a one person tent... The six litre water bag might be needed next year...

Also you need to add in your sleeping bag..

bearline, food bag, first aid, maps, data book??

DawgU
10-26-2007, 17:11
I agree there's too many layers of clothing - both base layers and fleece. You can cut a lot of weight and reduce the required pack space

Any alcohol stove - love my Caldera Cone

Patagonia Houdini windshirt 3 oz

I own the Hubba Hubba and a great pad, but have never regretted the switch to a Hennessy Hammock. If you plan to buddy up in the Hubba Hubba, it will be much better from a weight perspective, but I hope your buddy is a significant other, cause there's just not a lot of room for two plus gear width wise

If you're gonna go with a sleeping bag (which I used to use in the Hubba - now use/love JRB quilts), I cannot reccomend Feathered Friends enough. Fantastic people, customize your own fabric, amount/placement of overstuff, several length and width choices for each temp class

Water treatment - I'm a Kleerwater fan, but any water treatment choice will save tons

Once you've made all the other decisions look at the backpack. I've just redone my gear, gone from 22 lb base weight to 12. Now will change packs, probably to the ULA Conduit. At 20 oz, that would save you over 2 lbs by itself - probably the best dollar for dollar weight reduction of all items suggested. Just make sure you make the backpack decision LAST

bajabackpacker
10-26-2007, 17:13
What clothing would you cut out to drop the weight? I'm thinking that the Capilene 3 could be kind of useless with the Capilene 1 and 2, and then maybe just take the Regulator R1 Pullover, I found it to be a lot more comfortable with than the R2. The Capilene 1 and 2 with the Pack Ascent Shirt and my Celestial should be enough to keep my top warm.

I mean I could probably drop the Pack Ascent Shirt, but.. I don't know if you guys have seen it. It's very very nice looking, it's looks like a high quality dress shirt and has very functional chest and arm pocket that are nearly invisible from 10 feet away. It's a perfect trail shirt that could be worn into town and you wouldn't look like a bum. I'm not really ultra fashionable, but I'm 22 year old guy who doesn't always want to spend the night alone in town, heh. Looking a little clean could go a long way.

Another possible idea to drop clothing is to get rid of the gaiters. But at 6.7 oz and my plans or probably going with either a trail runner or a mid height boot I want to prevent things from getting into my shoes/boots. Also, I like athletic shorts and gaiters as a rain combo and I've left out rain pants because I've never had a pair that I felt was breathable enough.

As far as the tent goes, I'm not really looking to buy another tent. I don't want to sleep in the shelters (I'd like to leave room for the ULers ;) ). I'm still trying to find a thru-hiking partner too. I've slept in Bivvys before and don't really like them, I have one but I wouldn't really want to be in one on a windy/rainy section. Setting up a tarp is fine but the groundcloth gets really wet and messy, takes a good amount of time to setup and take down as well, and you don't sleep as warm.

Another thing with saving the weight by not carrying The Reactor, with an UL setup, I'd have to carry more fuel (8oz instead of 4oz) and I could see people getting stuck with 1/3 full 8oz (which is like 6oz for the container and 3 for the fuel) plus their other 8oz unless they were ditching their 2/3 used canisters. I could be totally wrong but having a little left in an 8oz and a new 8oz is about 12-15oz in extra weight between extra fuel and canister weight, at the very least you're looking at 6oz extra weight when comparing a 8oz can to a 4oz can (2oz for large canister weight).

Going back to the MSR Hubba Hubba as opposed to a single person tent. I kind of would rather be more comfortable, have more free time in camp(due to shorter cooking and tarp setup/take down ). Also, if I have another person with me, whether it's a thru-hiking partner, or someone I meet along the way, I'd like to be able to cook up enough water for 2+ people (1.75L as opposed to .85L with a UL setup) and let them sleep in my tent (MSR Hubba Hubba 2 person vs 1 person tent). I know it'll probably end up being an extra 2lbs with that gear but it's an extra comfort/hospitality thing that I'd be willing to take. I'm 5'11, 200lbs at about 10-15% bodyfat. I have enough muscle and will be in great enough shape to afford me a little more comfort if I have to carry a few more lbs. Just as long as something isn't blatantly redundant. I'm also training really hard right now. I've been working out at the gym (squats, leg extensions, calf extensions, back, abs, lats, shoulders, cardio) 4-6 days a week and I just started taking a Tae Kwon Do class that I'll probably attend 2 or 3 times a week.

As far as a sleeping bag I had in the Phantom 32F since the high R value of my toughskin and MSR Hubba Hubba should give me enough warmth to make the bag accurately reflect it's warmth. Sleeping bag ratings are dependant upon a 1.5 inch thermarest as per the University of Indiana's testing which the standard was based upon. The closed cell addition to the toughskin makes it even more insulating, so who knows? I like the lightweight of the Phantom 32F and I think I might try it out, if it's too cold I could always bring my Bivvy as well which will give me a lot of warmth, pretty close to warmth/oz of a heavier down bag.

What do you guys think of down bags vs synthetic? I'm kind of hesistant to buy down because it's useless when it's wet.

Any suggestions for food bags, bearline (50ft parachute cord?), first aid?

maps/compass/data book, do you like them better than GPS (I can prodeal these).

I never really found much use for maps when I backpacked on the trail before, I felt it to be pretty much a highway and too much of a tunnel to take any bearings for triangulation. Guide books were nice but pretty heavy.

mountain squid
10-26-2007, 18:07
Some thoughts:

matches/lighter
camp footwear
socks
50' parachute chord is fine for bear bag
sil-nylon stuff sack for food
hand sanitizer
tp and other toiletries (already mentioned by SGT Rock)
headlamp/light source (already mentioned by envirodiver)
definitely (as already mentioned ) maps/Companion/Wingfoot alternative (if you have time you might transcribe the data from the Companion onto the maps (Hi Laces))
whistle
pen/pencil/paper
1st Aid kit w/ at least a needle (draining blisters) and sunscreen (no leaves)
small Swiss Army Knife w/ tweezers/scissors for ticks/fingernails
ear plugs
duct tape
camera

Don't forget ID/atm/credit cards and important phone #'s.

I'll mention again to be careful about carrying gear designed for two. If there aren't two people using it, it is dead weight (and, you will realize this once you've carried it all day, every day for no apparent reason)...

Go with a down sleeping bag. If you take reasonable measures to keep it dry, it will never get so wet as to not keep you warm (the only time the down has clumped together on mine is after I washed it...)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Appalachian Tater
10-26-2007, 18:29
What clothing would you cut out to drop the weight? I'm thinking that the Capilene 3 could be kind of useless with the Capilene 1 and 2, and then maybe just take the Regulator R1 Pullover, I found it to be a lot more comfortable with than the R2. The Capilene 1 and 2 with the Pack Ascent Shirt and my Celestial should be enough to keep my top warm.

I mean I could probably drop the Pack Ascent Shirt, but.. I don't know if you guys have seen it. It's very very nice looking, it's looks like a high quality dress shirt and has very functional chest and arm pocket that are nearly invisible from 10 feet away. It's a perfect trail shirt that could be worn into town and you wouldn't look like a bum. I'm not really ultra fashionable, but I'm 22 year old guy who doesn't always want to spend the night alone in town, heh. Looking a little clean could go a long way.

Having a fancy shirt won't get you laid. Taking a shower, shaving, and putting on a clean shirt might. Besides, if you have a decent body a tee-shirt shows it off better anyway. You won't pass through any "fancy " towns until you get up in New England anyway, and even then only a couple. Take baby butt wipes and hand sanitizer gel instead. Pour a little rubbing alcohol in the baby butt wipes.

Another possible idea to drop clothing is to get rid of the gaiters. But at 6.7 oz and my plans or probably going with either a trail runner or a mid height boot I want to prevent things from getting into my shoes/boots. Also, I like athletic shorts and gaiters as a rain combo and I've left out rain pants because I've never had a pair that I felt was breathable enough. Yeah, ditch the gaiters and get some very light zip off hiking pants. They're more multipurpose. What were you planning to wear with your "dressy" shirt anyway?

As far as the tent goes, I'm not really looking to buy another tent. I don't want to sleep in the shelters (I'd like to leave room for the ULers ;) ). I'm still trying to find a thru-hiking partner too. I've slept in Bivvys before and don't really like them, I have one but I wouldn't really want to be in one on a windy/rainy section. Setting up a tarp is fine but the groundcloth gets really wet and messy, takes a good amount of time to setup and take down as well, and you don't sleep as warm.You don't want to share a tent with anyone you're not in a very, very close relationship with. The couples I saw that met on the trail had no trouble sharing a single tent. I didn't ask but I'm sure it's like sharing a single bed instead of a king--it's more inducive to cuddling. Why don't you look at a Henry Shires Tarptent Single Rainbow? It's light and very roomy and sleeps two in a pinch. At least you've have room to turn over.

Another thing with saving the weight by not carrying The Reactor, with an UL setup, I'd have to carry more fuel (8oz instead of 4oz) and I could see people getting stuck with 1/3 full 8oz (which is like 6oz for the container and 3 for the fuel) plus their other 8oz unless they were ditching their 2/3 used canisters. I could be totally wrong but having a little left in an 8oz and a new 8oz is about 12-15oz in extra weight between extra fuel and canister weight, at the very least you're looking at 6oz extra weight when comparing a 8oz can to a 4oz can (2oz for large canister weight).You're better off with a supercat or pop can stove and alcohol and a light pot. If you hook kup with someone they'll have their own stove and that way you can cook two different things to share.

Going back to the MSR Hubba Hubba as opposed to a single person tent. I kind of would rather be more comfortable, have more free time in camp(due to shorter cooking and tarp setup/take down ). Also, if I have another person with me, whether it's a thru-hiking partner, or someone I meet along the way, I'd like to be able to cook up enough water for 2+ people (1.75L as opposed to .85L with a UL setup) and let them sleep in my tent (MSR Hubba Hubba 2 person vs 1 person tent). I know it'll probably end up being an extra 2lbs with that gear but it's an extra comfort/hospitality thing that I'd be willing to take. I'm 5'11, 200lbs at about 10-15% bodyfat. I have enough muscle and will be in great enough shape to afford me a little more comfort if I have to carry a few more lbs. Just as long as something isn't blatantly redundant. I'm also training really hard right now. I've been working out at the gym (squats, leg extensions, calf extensions, back, abs, lats, shoulders, cardio) 4-6 days a week and I just started taking a Tae Kwon Do class that I'll probably attend 2 or 3 times a week. If you meet someone they'll already have their own stuff. Even if you are 7 feet and 250 pounds with 5% body fat, the lighter your stuff is the happier you'll be. Then if you meet someone you can carry some of their stuff for them.

As far as a sleeping bag I had in the Phantom 32F since the high R value of my toughskin and MSR Hubba Hubba should give me enough warmth to make the bag accurately reflect it's warmth. Sleeping bag ratings are dependant upon a 1.5 inch thermarest as per the University of Indiana's testing which the standard was based upon. The closed cell addition to the toughskin makes it even more insulating, so who knows? I like the lightweight of the Phantom 32F and I think I might try it out, if it's too cold I could always bring my Bivvy as well which will give me a lot of warmth, pretty close to warmth/oz of a heavier down bag.

What do you guys think of down bags vs synthetic? I'm kind of hesistant to buy down because it's useless when it's wet.Good god man don't take a 40 oz sleeping pad. If you're worried about punctures (which you needn't really be), take a patch kit or a non-inflatable like a short Z-rest. And consider down, the shells are very water resistant.

Any suggestions for food bags, bearline (50ft parachute cord?), first aid?

maps/compass/data book, do you like them better than GPS (I can prodeal these).

I never really found much use for maps when I backpacked on the trail before, I felt it to be pretty much a highway and too much of a tunnel to take any bearings for triangulation. Guide books were nice but pretty heavy.Obviously you need maps and a compass in case you get lost or have to get off the trail in a hurry. You also need some sort of data or guidebook. Either discard the pages as you hike to save weight or tear it into sections and have them mailed to you. GPS is a fun toy if you want to carry the weight. You don't NEED it.

For food bag, consider something waterproof like the OR Hydrolite series.

Your rain coat will also serve as wind protection.

The alpinista hat looks like a good hat but you might conside a wool [or other warm material] knit hat that is long enough to cover the back of your neck or to pull down over your eyes if you want to sleep after sunrise. Sounds minor now, but you might want to sleep in until 8am one morning!

DON'T cut the handle off your spoon. You will need it to stir. Hiking pots are think and stuff will burn and stick if you don't stir.

Instead of one giant water bag, get two 2 liter ones. That gives you more flexiblity and protection in the off chance you got a leak.

Even with the pack cover, you 'll want a heavy duty garbage bag liner unless you have used your cover on your pack in the rain for long periods of time and are confident in its abilities.

Crocs weigh a LOT more than 3 ounces. If you're concerned about weight, consider 99 cent beach flip flops or fake crocs from Payless.

I love my shuffle but how are you going to recharge it? Or do you have an external battery pack?

Don't get carried away with a big first aid kit. You just need to be able to handle minor cuts and scrapes and maybe an upset stomach, diarrhea, and minor pain. If you get sick or injured you'll have to get off the trail. What you should be concerned about is being sanitary to keep from GI crud disease, ticks and tick-borne disease, and sunburn the first few weeks.

take-a-knee
10-26-2007, 18:42
I'm a hammock convert but if I ever go back to the ground I'll use a full-length ridge rest and a short LW thermarest, 27oz I believe.

bajabackpacker
10-26-2007, 18:43
Ok, guess I'll reconsider the prolite 4 thermarest and maybe an alcohol stove. Does anyone happen to know of any good guides on how to make them or a good guide about it? I have no clue about alcohol stoves and how much fuel they use, etc. As far as a tent... Do you happen to know of any good tarp tents that are some popular brand name (that I can get a prodeal on)?

Blissful
10-26-2007, 18:49
As far as a tent... Do you happen to know of any good tarp tents that are some popular brand name (that I can get a prodeal on)?

Henry Shires Tarptent. He usually has sales Christmas.
(not sure what you mean by prodeal?).

mountain squid
10-26-2007, 18:52
I don't know what prodeal means either, but check these links out: http://www.tarptent.com/ and http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Skidsteer
10-26-2007, 18:57
Ok, guess I'll reconsider the prolite 4 thermarest and maybe an alcohol stove. Does anyone happen to know of any good guides on how to make them or a good guide about it? I have no clue about alcohol stoves and how much fuel they use, etc. As far as a tent... Do you happen to know of any good tarp tents that are some popular brand name (that I can get a prodeal on)?

Alcohol stoves?

Check out:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

http://hikinghq.net/

http://www.ionstove.com/build.htm#Production

http://www.bplite.com/index.php

http://zenstoves.net/Links.htm

http://jwbasecamp.com/

http://wings.interfree.it/index.html

hopefulhiker
10-26-2007, 19:19
The ATC has a downloadable Appalachian Trail Guide.. Also check out Baltimore Jack's ressuply article here on WB....

Appalachian Tater
10-26-2007, 19:22
(that I can get a prodeal on)?
Don't buy a piece of equipment that you are going to use every day for five or six months just because you get a discount on it. Get the best-suited gear that you can find. You can get better prices on stuff on sale sometimes anyway.

mountain squid
10-26-2007, 19:50
You might also check out TinMan's site (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=40 (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=40)). Mostly for stoves, but he has alot of other useful items available, as well.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Dakota Dan
10-28-2007, 12:53
Here is a quote from a post I made earlier in another thread: "For the past few days we've been experimenting with packing and weight of said pack(s) with gear. As of now I've got mine at a range of 28-32 lbs including 3 liters of water, but no food which can vary wildly, I'll say 6lbs for 5 days. This weight can be trimmed a little when moving into the warmer months of the hike. I'm looking at 34-38 lbs maximum on my back, I'd sure like to get this around 28 lbs total without breaking the bank. I could purchase a lighter pack and bag that would shave maybe at the most 2lbs. I could dump the water filter and trim here and there but its tough to decide. I've got to do more research and see what everybody else is carrying. I just feel the weight is too much, considering all the light weight stuff out there"

After reading the posts here and examining the contents of other peoples packs I am ashamed to say my gear looks nothing like it. I am sad to say i must do a lot more work to get the weight down. This, of course, takes time and money. I've printed out some of the list here and will start to work on it. This is the kind of feedback that really helps people like me and JR. I'm from the old heavy school and JR doesn't have a clue yet. This really is cool info. Thanks guys.

dessertrat
10-28-2007, 14:49
Here is a quote from a post I made earlier in another thread: "For the past few days we've been experimenting with packing and weight of said pack(s) with gear. As of now I've got mine at a range of 28-32 lbs including 3 liters of water, but no food which can vary wildly, I'll say 6lbs for 5 days. This weight can be trimmed a little when moving into the warmer months of the hike. I'm looking at 34-38 lbs maximum on my back, I'd sure like to get this around 28 lbs total without breaking the bank. I could purchase a lighter pack and bag that would shave maybe at the most 2lbs. I could dump the water filter and trim here and there but its tough to decide. I've got to do more research and see what everybody else is carrying. I just feel the weight is too much, considering all the light weight stuff out there"

After reading the posts here and examining the contents of other peoples packs I am ashamed to say my gear looks nothing like it. I am sad to say i must do a lot more work to get the weight down. This, of course, takes time and money. I've printed out some of the list here and will start to work on it. This is the kind of feedback that really helps people like me and JR. I'm from the old heavy school and JR doesn't have a clue yet. This really is cool info. Thanks guys.

I think you've got a pretty impressive gear list. Many people carry more weight than you will be carrying, although of course you can cut it some more, and some folks would say it is still too heavy. 40 pounds or more used to be the norm.

May I ask why you've set a weight goal of 28 pounds rather than 34. Of course 28 is better than 34, but why set a goal, rather than just figure out what the minimum weight of every piece of equipment is that you can be comfortable with for each piece of equipment. For example, go through each piece and say "do I really need it? Is there a lighter alternative that I can be comfortable with, without breaking the bank?"

whitefoot_hp
10-28-2007, 18:10
I don't know what prodeal means either, but check these links out: http://www.tarptent.com/ and http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

prodeal refers to the deals that folks who work for outfitters can get from the manufacturers they carry. usually it is cost only.

one of the perks for those who work for an outdoor company or an outfitter.

bajabackpacker
10-28-2007, 18:47
Yeah, it's actually below wholesale cost. It's one of the best reasons to work at an outfitter besides being able to work a job that you enjoy. Companies sell us their items cheaply so that we can recommend it to customers.

I've been wearing Patagonia's Capilene 2 long sleeve to work and it's really helped me close a lot of capilene sales. I don't have to push hard to sell but if someone wants a synthetic shirt and they're not sure if it's worth the extra $10+ for a shirt and they see me wearing it, they're more likely to buy it.

So, I get inexpensive gear and the company makes more money because I'd be recommending their clothing, etc.

Dakota Dan
10-28-2007, 18:48
Quote from Desertrat:

"May I ask why you've set a weight goal of 28 pounds rather than 34. Of course 28 is better than 34, but why set a goal,"

Not really a goal, just the way 28 pounds (give or take a couple of pounds) feels on my back, of course I would rather not carry a pack at all. It's just when I get over the 30 lb weight barrier it starts to become more like work instead of fun.

Also, I have gone through each piece and pretty much need each and every piece. I just need the lighter weight version of each piece. And, as we all know, turning Lead into Titanium will cost the bucks.

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 19:15
MAPS!!! If this year's drought carries over into next year, everyone walking the ridgetop will HAVE to come down off of the ridgetop to find water. The maps will show streams that the guidebooks may not mention; they will also show contours and elevation profiles. And yes, you need a compass to go with the maps...and learn to use it - even if you do nothing more than play with the compass and the instruction booklet!!!

Gaiters can be handy in tick country - but so can zip-off pants....

If you buy down, then you've made a decision to do whatever it takes to keep it dry. (Think multiple layers of plastic or water covers here.)

Tarps cold??? Then you aren't using your imagination. Believe it or not, tarps can be pitched to approximate the shape of a tent IF you're creative. Don't dismiss a tarp out of hand.

rafe
10-28-2007, 19:30
Gaiters can be handy in tick country - but so can zip-off pants....

I've seen gaiters questioned on gear lists of late. But if I'd been wearing 'em, I might have avoided these dozens of chigger bites on my feet and ankles. Who cares if gaiters "look stupid." Chigger bites look stupider.

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 19:41
I've seen gaiters questioned on gear lists of late. But if I'd been wearing 'em, I might have avoided these dozens of chigger bites on my feet and ankles. Who cares if gaiters "look stupid." Chigger bites look stupider.

...and they definitely keep your pants legs dry in those unexpected late Spring snows at higher elevations!

(I wear mine A LOT when I'm mushing with the dogs - I like wool pants, but the legs tend to get really wet from the snow spraying up onto them from the sled runners...unless they're covered with the gaiters.)

Appalachian Tater
10-28-2007, 19:54

Why not just wear long pants? If you need more ventilation, wear convertibles and unzip them a little at the knees.

You don't need gaiters on the A.T.

rafe
10-28-2007, 20:12
You don't need gaiters on the A.T.

Don't need long pants, either, Tater.

Why make blanket statements like that? What purpose does it serve, particularly when I just provided one example of their utility?

Gaiters serve all sorts of purposes. But somehow, the AT fashion police have decreed that they're not cool. :rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
10-28-2007, 20:19
Don't need long pants, either, Tater.

Not even to keep warm?

Why make blanket statements like that? What purpose does it serve, particularly when I just provided one example of their utility?
In the example you provided, long pants would serve the same purpose.

Gaiters are more helpful if you're bushwhacking, or maybe walking in abrasive tall grass. Long pants are tough enough for the A.T. The trail is pretty clear. You don't NEED gaiters on the A.T., long pants or convertibles will do fine.

rafe
10-28-2007, 20:31
[re: need for long pants]

Not even to keep warm?

Not even. I sent my jeans home from Suches and never used long pants on the AT after that. I carry a full length base layer at all times. In cool weather I'm likely to walk in base layer plus a pair of nylon shorts.

If I'm walking, that's usually all the warmth I need. At camp (or in rain) I might use my rainwear for extra warmth.

Gaiters keep scree out of your boots. That can be a very critical function. Scree (dirt, tiny pebbles, pine needles, other debris) can quickly lead to hot spots and blisters and other foot problems. Gaiters also help keep rain and insects off your feet and ankles.

Dakota Dan
10-28-2007, 20:38
I would wear gaiters if only to keep rocks, dirt etc out of my boots. They will also help protect footwear/lacing. Will shed the elements from the feet. Will keep feet warmer on cold days. I use to spend a lot of time stopping to clean out my footwear from tiny sticks and stones that felt like logs and boulders rubbing on my feet. Maybe not for everyone, but I always wear them.

bigcranky
10-28-2007, 20:40
Gaiters are more helpful if you're bushwhacking, or maybe walking in abrasive tall grass. Long pants are tough enough for the A.T. The trail is pretty clear. You don't NEED gaiters on the A.T., long pants or convertibles will do fine.

Um, this is not my experience. The trail can be heavily overgrown in summer, and full of mud, snow, and muck in winter. I much prefer to wear shorts all the time while hiking, and the gaiters provide good lower-leg protection.

Appalachian Tater
10-28-2007, 22:20
and the gaiters provide good lower-leg protection.

So do long pants. You rarely need them on the A.T., but they work fine in grass or whatever. Obviously everybody has their own preferences in clothing and hiking gear and just because I don't think they gaiters useful doesn't mean you can't find them indispensable.

Rarely do I get anything in my shoe. Not often enough to need protection from it.

Your shoes are going to get wet the first puddle you step in.

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:20
Go with a Kilt. :)

bigcranky
10-29-2007, 09:14
So do long pants. You rarely need them on the A.T., but they work fine in grass or whatever.

Please re-read my comment -- I much prefer to wear shorts when hiking. I hate having my knees covered. (Mostly 'cause they are too pretty to cover up....) :banana I like wearing gaiters when the conditions require them.

When you write, "You don't need gaiters on the AT," you are projecting your experience onto other hikers. This is not helpful, and makes people who do like gaiters feel angry and defensive. If you don't find gaiters to be useful, say so. Tell us why. Give us the benefit of your experience. Try something like, "I don't wear gaiters because I prefer long pants and I rarely get any pebbles in my shoe."

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 10:56
Please re-read my comment -- I much prefer to wear shorts when hiking. I hate having my knees covered. (Mostly 'cause they are too pretty to cover up....) :banana I like wearing gaiters when the conditions require them.

When you write, "You don't need gaiters on the AT," you are projecting your experience onto other hikers. This is not helpful, and makes people who do like gaiters feel angry and defensive. If you don't find gaiters to be useful, say so. Tell us why. Give us the benefit of your experience. Try something like, "I don't wear gaiters because I prefer long pants and I rarely get any pebbles in my shoe."

You don't need a bicycle on the A.T. Or an electric popcorn popper. Or a piano.

bigcranky
10-29-2007, 12:27
You might say the same thing about a tuba, but you'd be wrong.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 12:43
You might say the same thing about a tuba, but you'd be wrong.

You're right. Every hiker needs a tuba. A cello would be classified as a luxury item.

bigcranky
10-29-2007, 13:24
I carry a banjo, just to scare the Yankee hikers....

Tacoda
10-30-2007, 22:43
the only thing i can suggest is that you get a good stove from gravity gear or minibulldesigns. Sure, I've decided to leave things at home. But for changing out heavy gear for lighter gear, get a lite alchohol stove, and get a good one. Not only will you save fuel and wieght, but complexity as well. It's the one item in my pack that I am most proud of having and makes me feel good when i use it.