PDA

View Full Version : parking near northern section of shenandoahs

nitewalker
10-26-2007, 18:40
where would it be safe to leave a car for a 4 or 5 day stretch somwhere around the northern entrance to the shenandoahs. i will be parking there sunday 10/28 to thursday 11/1...id rather have one of the safer spots as opposed to convienent...thank you, nitewalker

:sun PEACE:sun

Blissful
10-26-2007, 18:42
There's a parking area at Chester Gap, on Rt 522. We've left our car there over a weekend twice. No problems.

teachergal
10-26-2007, 19:58
Terrapin Station Hostel is there - assuming it's still open, haven't heard in awhile...I'm sure a car would be safe there...
Easy access to the trail too...

rafe
10-26-2007, 20:02
Terrapin Station Hostel is there - assuming it's still open...

It was not open this season.

nitewalker
10-27-2007, 06:54
i take it there is not much parking in this area...or is it one of those areas where it is tough to get around....

Cosmic Crusader
10-27-2007, 07:30
If you really want to be parking safe go on and pay the entrance fee, and park at compton gap where AT crosses northmost point in Skyline Drive, or at Dickeys Ridge visitors center if you are blue blazing.

Cookerhiker
10-27-2007, 08:38
If you really want to be parking safe go on and pay the entrance fee, and park at compton gap where AT crosses northmost point in Skyline Drive, or at Dickeys Ridge visitors center if you are blue blazing.

I second that recommendation.

nitewalker
10-27-2007, 20:38

looks like i will be parking at compton gap tomorrow.thanks for the advice. is the fee reasonable not that its going to matter. ? i am in front royal rite now gettting ready to watch the sox . tomorrow i drive to compton and start my hike south till thursday then home on friday....peace out, nitewalker:D

Cookerhiker
10-27-2007, 21:08
looks like i will be parking at compton gap tomorrow.thanks for the advice. is the fee reasonable not that its going to matter. ? i am in front royal rite now gettting ready to watch the sox . tomorrow i drive to compton and start my hike south till thursday then home on friday....peace out, nitewalker:D

I parked at Compton for one (weekend) night last June with no problems.

Have a good hike. With the upcoming clear generally sunny no-rain weather, you'll also have nights in the 20s so I hope you're prepared. Let us know how it turns out.

nitewalker
10-27-2007, 21:19
I parked at Compton for one (weekend) night last June with no problems.

Have a good hike. With the upcoming clear generally sunny no-rain weather, you'll also have nights in the 20s so I hope you're prepared. Let us know how it turns out.

do you really think its going down in the 20s:eek: . if so i may have to bring my phantom 45 to go along with my ems 20. both down...i brought both of them intead of my 0...i should be ok:-? nitewalker

Smile
10-28-2007, 00:31
nitewalker, have a great hike :)