PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the AT

Pony
10-26-2007, 19:03
Does anyone carry a fishing pole with them? I would like to bring my ultra light rod and spinning reel, for recreation as well as possibly a few free/cheap meals. Just wondering.

MOWGLI
10-26-2007, 19:12
Does anyone carry a fishing pole with them? I would like to bring my ultra light rod and spinning reel, for recreation as well as possibly a few free/cheap meals. Just wondering.

Yes, mostly up north. Good fishing on the trail down south and in the Mid Atlantic is very spotty. Maine is a good place to have a rod.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2007, 12:29
damn good trout fishin' in and around damascus

Grampie
10-27-2007, 12:29
Being a fisherman I decided to take some hooks and some line along on my thru. Not wanting to buy a licence wherever I fished I only did it a few times.
Most of the time, after hiking all day, I was just too beat to fish. One exception was when I camped on the shore of West Carry Pond. Caught a native brookie and cooked it up. That made it worthwhile to have a hook and line.:sun

dessertrat
10-27-2007, 12:35

Make sure you get a license. Most states have short-term licenses (cheaper) for non-residents. For example, in Maine you can get a seven day license, or a 30 day, I believe. Given non-resident license costs, it might not be so cost effective, but it is still a nice way to spend some time, unless you are obsessed with making miles every day.

katagious
10-27-2007, 22:56
yes, in the state of Maine be cautious and do get a license. I know several people who've been charged with fishing without a license..for such grevious acts as being helpful and removing the fish from a childs line.

7Sisters
10-28-2007, 06:18
If you're willing to walk a few miles off the AT, Shenandoah NP has some real good trout spots. License required though.

pitdog
10-28-2007, 09:56
7Sisters is an information super highway.Ihavent been on for a while;however, I see your still going strong.Peace.

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 11:20
There should be some bass in the Susquehanna River at Duncannon. I'm not sure what's in the Schuylkill at Port Clinton. The Lehigh is fishable, as is the Delaware. But DO get a fishing license.

Grampie
10-28-2007, 11:31
All the comments are right, as far as getting a license before fishing. Unfortunately most of the time you have to get off the trail, go into some town and find a place to get one. This takes some planning to do this and you never know where the opportunity to fish will come. Hiking and making forward progress should be your primary objective. Fishing, as well as a lot of other things should be secondary.:-?

ChimneySpring
10-29-2007, 12:39
Most DGIF's have websites now, so you can purchase licenses online. Not sure how you deal with the proposed timeframe requirement on the 3 or 7 day ones per state though.

Re: the SNP and trout, make sure to see if you are allowed to keep what you catch, and if you are even supposed to fish them. There are a number of trout streams in VA that house a dwindling population of native species that you either a.) shouldn't fish at all, or b.) should release upon catching them.

The Cheat
10-29-2007, 13:00
Fished at Nuclear Lake in NY this weekend before going up to the Telephone Pioneer's shelter. :)

We were kind enough not to remove any fish from the lake. :mad:

Pony
10-29-2007, 13:16
Hiking will definitely be my number one priority. My intention is to go fishing instead of spending money in town on zero days. I will certainly abide by all regulations, as irresponsible fisherpersons upset me. I typically fish for bass(smallmouth if possible), is fishing near the AT mostly trout? Great information so far, thanks everyone.

dessertrat
10-29-2007, 13:20
yes, in the state of Maine be cautious and do get a license. I know several people who've been charged with fishing without a license..for such grevious acts as being helpful and removing the fish from a childs line.

One of the problems in some states is that being in possession of fishing gear of any sort, while in the wild, creates a presumption of fishing without a license. (What do they do if I'm just walking out of the K-Mart with a pole?). It doesn't matter that you aren't actually fishing. So if you hike into Maine with a fishing pole, keep it hidden until you have time to buy a license.

Morning Glory
10-29-2007, 15:35
Hiking will definitely be my number one priority. My intention is to go fishing instead of spending money in town on zero days. I will certainly abide by all regulations, as irresponsible fisherpersons upset me. I typically fish for bass(smallmouth if possible), is fishing near the AT mostly trout? Great information so far, thanks everyone.

Can speak for other streams, but the Nolilchucky is a great for small mouth. I suggest hiking upstream a few miles once you get in Erwin.

Bigby 2007
10-31-2007, 00:31
I caught a sunny at Sunfish pond in Jersey with a piece of paracord, giant bass hook, my trekking pole, and some beef jerky. If you went with an actual pole, i bet you could catch about 200 panfish in 15 minutes, for a total of 6 pounds of edible meat.

Flush2wice
10-31-2007, 09:06
Can speak for other streams, but the Nolilchucky is a great for small mouth. I suggest hiking upstream a few miles once you get in Erwin.
I've caught smallie's in the Nolichucky. I used salamanders from the creek for bait. Crawdads work too.

Deadeye
10-31-2007, 10:03
Some great trout fishing on the Vermont section, Stamford Stream at Congdon Shelter and all the ponds & streams in the Stratton area are good enough to justify a nero day and the cost of the license.

dessertrat
10-31-2007, 11:31
You also might consider trying out Cloud Pond and East or West Chairback pond for brookies.

88BlueGT
11-13-2007, 17:04
Make sure you get a license. Most states have short-term licenses (cheaper) for non-residents. For example, in Maine you can get a seven day license, or a 30 day, I believe. Given non-resident license costs, it might not be so cost effective, but it is still a nice way to spend some time, unless you are obsessed with making miles every day.

I have no experience with any other states besides PA but their 3 day out of state liscense is almost 30 dollars! Pretty ridiculous.

wrongway_08
11-13-2007, 17:24
Yea, thats the problem, they screw you on short liscense fees!
usually around the $25-$30 mark. I would love to bring some line along and catch some trout off a stick!

Cape078
12-24-2007, 22:25
I'm not exactly possitive on this, but I do believe in NC you do not need a permit to fish if you use live bait i.e. worms..

I would like to fish some when I do my Thru-hike. I think it would be a good break in the hiking instead of spending it in a town.

Pony
12-26-2007, 13:46
I would like to fish some when I do my Thru-hike. I think it would be a good break in the hiking instead of spending it in a town.

Agreed, I love pizza and beer but I can get plenty of that at home. I just got the coleman pen pole for Christmas. Seems kind of junky, but is small enough and light enough that it shouldn't be a problem to carry on a hike. Has anybody used one of these?

Painted Turtle
12-26-2007, 13:59
I was at Cooper Brook shelter (ME) and this guy walked in with a pole. Within 10 minutes he had 5 Beautiful looking Brookies. There were about 6 of us there and he was lucky he got out of there. Our mouths were watering. So make sure you have one when you get there.

Flush2wice
12-28-2007, 14:00
I'm not exactly possitive on this, but I do believe in NC you do not need a permit to fish if you use live bait i.e. worms..

That's not true. It used to be legal in NC to fish with live bait without a license only if you were fishing in the county where you lived. You have to show an ID with your address to prove residency.
I think they did away with that law years ago so now everyone needs a license. Even for saltwater (unless your on a pier).