PDA

View Full Version : Slithery Snakes

Former Admin
09-03-2002, 20:46
Have you had any snake encounters, do snakes concern you, do you carry a snake bite kit etc.....

Hammock Hanger
09-10-2002, 06:53
I worked in a medical office for many years and folks who try to mess with snake bites usually do more damage then good. I say forget the snake bite kit at the store. Believe it or not 50% of rattlesnake bites are "dry" bites. If you are biten you should calmly, (I know thats hard to do but panic increases the blood flow) remove all jewlery as you will swell and try to get down off the mountain and locate medical attention ASAP. You usually have a few hours with a rattlesnake bite. Living and hiking in FL I have come across of poision snakes, coral-rattlers-pigmy rattler. On the AT I have come across rattlers & copperheads. While slipping into my sleeping bag on the platform out by Tom Lenard Shelter in MA, a rattler slitered by about 2 feet from where I was laying out under the stars. In the morning when I moved my backpack there was a 3 1/2 foot snake skin. Scary.. HH

DebW
09-26-2002, 12:20
I've had 2 rattlesnake encounters on the AT. The first was in Shennandoah National Park in 1977. A large rattler was sitting in the middle of the trail acting like he owned it. Was coiled and rattling as we approached. Needles to say, we let him keep the trail and we made a big semi-circle through the woods. The second was last year in Pennsylvania. Was day hiking with my family in the Wolf Rocks area. On the rocky ridge, my daughter stepped across a crack between two rocks and the rattle down below made alot of noise. I now carry the "Sawyer Extractor" bite kit. Includes a hard plastic vaccuum pump to extract venom without any cutting. Haven't used and hope I don't have to, but I feel a little more secure with it. I presume it can't do any harm if used and might do some good.

Jumpstart
09-26-2002, 21:04
We saw 5 rattlesnakes this year..1 in Virginia, 3 in PA and 1 in New York. Never failed to startle and scare the CRAP out of us, still can't beleive how LOUD they rattle. They left us alone, but made it very clear that they weren't the ones who would be inconvenienced....saw tons of black snakes and smaller ones, also, but usually they high-tailed it out of view as soon as they realized we were there.

MOWGLI
09-30-2002, 20:53
Saw a bunch of different species during my hike;

Eastern Garter Snake
Eastern Ribbon Snake
Northern Water Snake
Ringed Neck Snake
Black Rat
Black Racer
Smooth Green Snake
Copperhead
Timber Rattler

All were beautiful and amazing creatures. You'd have to be REALLY unlucky to get bitten by any snake - especially a Rattler.

Uncle Wayne
10-18-2002, 07:10
We saw a 5' long black snake while hiking down the trail from Shuckstack. He was beside the trail near a huge Poplar. We sat on a nearby log and took a short break, watching as the snake crawled off or at least out of sight. When we were ready to leave I walked around the tree to see if the snake was still on the trail and didn't see him anywhere. My wife looked up and the snake was crawling / climbing straight up the side of the Poplar! He was about 12' high when I took a picture of him. If I can ever get it to upload I'm gonna post that photo for sure. I had never seen a snake climb a tree. No limbs at all just climbing straight up the side of the side of the tree.

MOWGLI
10-18-2002, 08:22
Black Rat Snakes are major predators of the eggs & nestlings of songbirds. Checkout the link below about predation on Purple Martin colonies. Of course they'll also take a shelter mouse anytime the opportunity presents itself.

http://www.troycable.net/~w/wRatsnake.html

Uncle Wayne
10-21-2002, 02:43
Thanks Mowgli16 for the interesting link. I have uploaded a couple of photos I took of the Black Snake we saw on the AT in the Smoky Mountains. He has just crawled down the tree in one of them and is crawling back up in the other.

RagingHampster
12-26-2002, 18:24
Ive seen a bajillion garter snakes, thats all though...

Lone Wolf
12-26-2002, 18:59
In 95 I was hiking up Calf Mtn. in the Shenandoahs with my headphones on jammin to Pink Floyd when all of a sudden I hear static. I stop and look down. I'm standin on a rattler. He's fixin to strike but doesn't. That static was his rattles goin like crazy. Lucky I didn't get whacked. It really takes a lot for a rattlesnake to strike.

Waterbuffalo
12-27-2002, 09:38
I ran into a 4' pluss Timberrattler on the Approach trail coming down frosty Mtn in 1999, I just stood still and let the big guy go on his way

H20Buffalo

Team GAK
01-15-2003, 09:21
We only saw a couple of snakes. What really scared us was some of the notes we found saying there's a snake ahead, but the was NO date or time on the note. It takes a while for that feeling (tension) to wear off.

Redbeard
01-15-2003, 09:59
Good point, team GAK. Most snakes can be safely ignored, and if you see a rattler in the trail you can just go around it, but if the snake IS in the middle of the trail how do you warn other hikers? Snakes don't always run when you scare them, so throwing rocks at it won't do any good. I suggest leaving a paper note on either side of the snake with date and time, and a "please dispose of the note when the snake is gone."

ganj
01-15-2003, 11:37
In the 153 days I spent on the trail the only time I came across a poisonous snake was in a Shenandoah parking lot and a ranger was releasing one back in the wild. But I don't count that one. I even stopped at Manassas Gap Shelter (near Linden, VA) because of all the warnings I heard about Copperheads living there. Nothing! I feel like I am entitled to a refund for my hike.

Jack Tarlin
01-15-2003, 15:42
The rattlers were out in force in 2001; stepped over a big fella in the middle of Shenandoah Park, but it was Pennsylvania where it got crazy; saw a great big one just north Of Quarry Gap shelter just past Caledonia Park, and three humongous ones in less than 2 hours the second day outta Duncannon. Also, the stretch just north of Eckville shelter is fairly infested....word to the wise: If you're hiking with a dog in these parts, keep him close, and this is probably NOT a good stretch to be wearing a Walkman or radio, as they'll usually, but certainly not always let you know when you get too close.

Dan Bowen
01-16-2003, 16:54
Thank you for that bit of dog advice.

Rain Man
08-15-2003, 19:21
Hiked from Springer Mtn to Neels Gap from July 31 to August 3, 2003. Saw two garter snakes and one nice size copperhead sunning on the rocks. Got a nice photo of the copperhead.

Three snakes in three and a half days. That's almost a snake-a-day average. Good for a snake lover like me. :)

Rain Man

MOWGLI
08-15-2003, 22:16
Dogs do not "usually" die from venemous snakebites. They react differently to snake vemon than humans. That's not to say a bite wouldn't hurt or make you dog ill.

Shadrach
10-02-2004, 03:49
Not the AT, but in False Cape State Park (Virginia Beach) last weekend I saw five eastern cottonmouths laying out on the trail in a 10 minute period right after a rain shower.

Also saw a black snake, a baby gardner snake, and a unidentifiable baby snake that was reddish purple in color that day.

Generally I just give cottonmouths about 6 feet of room when walking past them. Most of the time they stand their ground so no sense in waiting for them to leave.

kentucky
10-02-2004, 12:25
I was hiking thrue Penn. in 99 and walked over rattler and it was crazy I had gotten off track! and looked right at that snake and it was nodding its head toward the right way back on the trail!I have thought about it thrue the years and just shake my head!but seriously I carry a snake kit just in case!I have also encountered many more thrue the years,usually there just out sunning.Kentucky!

TDale
10-02-2004, 12:39
Whenever I see one, I always consider the snkes POV.

"Geez, look at the size of that thing! It's as big as a bear! Is it going to eat me? If I just lay still, it may not see me. Please, PLEASE, don't let it see me!"

All that snake wants to do is survive the encounter. They have the same flight or fight response of any animal. Non-threatening persuasion is usually all they need to move on. A gentle nudge with a long stick.

Jersey Bob
10-02-2004, 19:38
at least 10 characters

Goon
10-02-2004, 21:31
Since we're sharing, I just uploaded a couple of pictures of a very nice timber rattler that I found on the approach trail just south of Springer.

He didn't coil. He didn't rattle. He just let me take a few pictures, walk around him and keep hiking.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/2423

Bloodroot
10-06-2004, 18:40
Saw a bunch of different species during my hike;

Eastern Garter Snake
Eastern Ribbon Snake
Northern Water Snake
Ringed Neck Snake
Black Rat
Black Racer
Smooth Green Snake
Copperhead
Timber Rattler

All were beautiful and amazing creatures. You'd have to be REALLY unlucky to get bitten by any snake - especially a Rattler.
I am a herpatology enthusiast. While conducting my internship this is what I found to be true about these species for the most part. Just a bit of info just in case you stumble up on these beauties. Bare in mind these observations were based in the summer. People might notice different results depending on environmental and human influences. So don't go up and think it's ok to play with one just because I think they are ok.

Easten Gartner Snake - Non-agressive. Although this is the only species that bit me! No harm of course, except the chance of bacterial infection.

Eastern Ribbon Snake - Non-agressive.

Northern Water Snake - The most aggressive species I found. They really don't like to be messed with.

Eastern Ring-Neck Snake - Very non-agressive. Almost friendly like!

Black Rat snake - Also non-agressive. Been exposed to these and Racers the most. Rat snake is definately the more human friendly species.

Black Racer - I found these to be very agressive at times. Actually had one chase me!!

Green Snake- Never found one to study.

Copperhead - Actually found them to be pretty non-aggressive. Of course pending on how much they are provoked.

Timber Rattlesnake - Study these thoroughly. Overall non-agressive. These snakes are so unique and strong it is unbelievable. Huge variations between the rattler species. Never could tell the Timber was cousin to the Western in regards to attitude.

Jack Tarlin
10-06-2004, 19:19
Good post, Bloodroot, except I disagree with you on Copperheads. In my experience, I've found them more aggressive than timber rattlers.

And the word, by the way is "herpetology," which comes from the Greek root "herpeton," which means "creeping thing." ("Serpent," by the way comes from the Latin "serpere," which also means "to creep." In Sanskrit, "sarpati" also means "to creep." "Snake" has different roots...in
Old English we have "snaca," in Old Norse, it's "snakr," in Middle Low German, it's "snake.")

My favorite scientific term is the name for the Timber rRattlesnake, which is "crotalus horridus horridus." Whoever came up with this one no doubt must have had a few bad surprises on the Trail.

Bloodroot
10-06-2004, 19:41
Now that I review my entry I see typos all over, never claimed to be very grammatically correct :) . Thanks for the "root" brush up! Of course many of them I never knew except the Latin version. Even that knowledge disappears after time.

Streamweaver
10-06-2004, 20:48
Id like to add something to Bloodroots post, The Northern Watersnake as you say can be very aggressive ,in addition to that their saliva contains anticoagulant properties and can cause quite a bit of bleeding especially if you are a bleeder or on blood thinners.

Ive collected several Rough and Smooth Green Snakes and they are always very docile.Never trying to bite or even release the musk like the Garter and Black rat etc do. Streamweaver

SGT Rock
10-06-2004, 20:51
I have found a lot of copperheads. Mostly lazy layabouts I have ever seen, I have about three experiences of stepping on them or almost stepping on them before I even noticed them. I have had a few rattlers sing for me, but none have ever really gotten aggressive.

Bloodroot
10-07-2004, 18:23
Copperheads mostly inactive from my experiences also. The one snake in particular that is alot of fun to watch is a Eastern Hognose. I actually was able to catch on of those on film showing off its little defense mechanism.

Ridge
11-21-2004, 00:50
Coming out of NOC, NC to Stecoah Gap I encountered a very large and ready to attack (rattler going) Timber Rattler. Couldn't figure out what the snake was mad at until I climbed around it and moved down the trail. Two hikers asked me if I saw the snake they where trying to kill, yea buddy you almost got my butt bitten because you where fooling with the snake. Also, no more hiking with sony walkman + earphones anymore, couldn't hear the rattler and almost didn't see him untill it was too late.

Magic City
11-21-2004, 14:17
I lived, for a time, in the canyons outside of Corona, California. Almost any warm day that I wanted to hike up in the canyons, I'd see dozens of rattlers. They were all over the place. I had at least one, perhaps more, living in a woodpile near the trailer I was living in at the time, and I referred to them as my burglar alarm since they'd rattle at me often when I approached the door, although I never did see the ones in the woodpile.

While hiking, simply keep your eyes and ears alert for snakes. I've never encountered a snake that wouldn't rather simply have me walk past it. Even when I wasn't so alert, and came near to stepping on one, it'd warn me before striking.

I worry more about having a snake crawling in or around my sleeping bag while I'm sleeping, or misinterpreting a move that I might make in my sleep as a threat, than I do about any that I might encounter while I'm up and about.

Ridge
11-21-2004, 22:56
I worry more about having a snake crawling in or around my sleeping bag while I'm sleeping, or misinterpreting a move that I might make in my sleep as a threat, than I do about any that I might encounter while I'm up and about.
This is the very reason I switched from a tarp to an ultra light tent. I had a scorpion crawl on my face and proceeded to sting me when I swiped it in my sleep. My vision was zero in one eye and bad in the other (due to swelling). Also, this messed up my entire 5-day trip while on an Okefenokee Swamp Canoe trip. Had to leave 4 days early to seek medical attention. I purchased a Walrus Swift (bought out by somebody and names now changed), which was a real light tent, waterproof and lots of ventilation, it weighs more, but I feel and sleep better.

Bloodroot
11-22-2004, 10:07
Ridge-

Scorpion bite to the eye? Ouch! Seems like between that and the rattler you are a magnet to venemous critters. Any other close calls?

Ridge
11-22-2004, 11:20
Ridge-

Scorpion bite to the eye? Was just under the eye, caused lots of swelling.

illininagel
11-22-2004, 11:34
I always thought that scorpion bites could be deadly.

Magic City
11-22-2004, 12:12
I believe that there is only one type of scorpion in the United States that is deadly to humans - the Arizona scorpion. The Arizona scorpion is dark in color, and is found in states other than Arizona.

Oh, that doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt.

Bloodroot
11-22-2004, 12:38
The bark scorpion of Arizona

Flash Hand
11-22-2004, 19:00
I was stinged by one of scorpion in Arizona. The pain was similar to the bee sting. It was no big deal to me. At least it is older adult and large scorpio. The first kit was just aspirin. The pain goes away within hour. Just be wary of newborn and younger scorpio.

Arizona have several more posionous critters than any other states. Brown Recluse and Black Widow, Rattler, Tarantulas, Scorpion, African Bees, etc. Nothing stop me from living in Arizona =)

Flash Hand :jump

Ridge
11-22-2004, 19:20
I always thought that scorpion bites could be deadly.
The ones in the South Eastern US are not, they sting like a bee. I guess if one is allergic to the sting it would be different. I do believe in other parts of the US/World there may be a deadly variety, but I'm not sure. I try to stay clear of them all.

Rain Man
11-23-2004, 11:10
The ones in the South Eastern US are not, they sting like a bee. I guess if one is allergic to the sting it would be different. I do believe in other parts of the US/World there may be a deadly variety, but I'm not sure. I try to stay clear of them all.

I recently saw one of those stupid, stupid, stupid "reality" TV shows, where two drunk (?) guys go around doing really stupid things to themselves for the pleasure of the viewing audience .... and, obviously, MONEY.

The only one I happened to catch, and the last I intend to watch ANY part of, was getting stung by scorpions. One of the guys pulled his pants down and sat down until a scorpion held by the other guy stung his butt. Then he did the same thing a second time for his other cheek.

He jumped around and "OUCHED!!!!!" a lot each time like a weenie.

Anyway, and sadly, he didn't fall over dead on the spot to teach little kids not to be as stupid as he was.
:mad:
Rain Man

SalParadise
11-23-2004, 21:26
Walking the AT this year I had a black snake fall on me. I brushed a small tree and it hit my shoulder and backpack as it fell to the ground. My only encounter with a rattler was with a baby one. I sat down by a creek on a cool, damp day and it came out from under a couple leaves only about two inches from my leg. I rolled away, but it was only the day after when I learned that the baby ones are actually more dangerous.
I'm so surprised to read that people have stepped on ones and still not get bitten.

weary
11-23-2004, 22:09
During the three months I spent at an Army testing station in Arizona, courtesy of the goverment, I saw dozens of scorpian. We were told not to worry, a sting hurts but otherwise is harmless.

I also saw quite a few sidewinders, which I assumed were rattlesnakes. The Arizona "oldtimers" -- anyone who had been there at least a year -- didn't seem especially worried about these either.

Once while wandering through the desert 10 miles from the base a guy came by in a jeep. He was an engineer with a power company that had a dam a few miles north.

We chatted about the differences between autumn in the west and autumn in Maine. It turned out that he grew up in the same small town in Maine that I did, and only a block away -- and once had dated my mother!

Weary

Rain Man
11-24-2004, 14:15
I'm so surprised to read that people have stepped on ones and still not get bitten.

Don't be.

:sun
Rain Man

DEADRECKON'UN
11-24-2004, 17:27
All the urban legends about copperheads at Manassas Gap Shelter are true. This past June, during a section hike from Pearisburg to Harpers Ferry, I considered staying there but didn't like looks of the place after almost stepping on one on the short side trail to the shelter. This is the only shelter I've ever been at that has a picture of a copperhead affixed to the wall. I moved on to Dick's Dome for the night and ran into more snakes of the human variety (2 couples without food & gear running from the law). At Bears Den Hostel, I ran into a couple of guys I saw at Manassas who decided to stay there, and both saw snakes. The caretaker at Blackburn Conference Center told me there is a nest of copperheads around Manassas Gap Shelter and serious consideration is being given to moving it. Saw a 4ft. timber rattler just up the trail from Blackburn, stretched across the trail. Snake went his way, I went mine. I don't think they pose any hazard if left alone, and wouldn't kill one. I just don't like snakes. Deadreckon'un.

PartnerShip
11-12-2005, 10:00
I am getting ready to thru hike next spring and my greatest fear is snakes. I am terrified of them , poisonous or not. I can handle the weather, any otehr animal or person or situation but not snakes. So obviously I need to prepare myself to see a few.
Does using your walking sticks help to scare them off as you go through dense areas where you cant see as well.
I always heard if they hear you coming they will run.
Anyway not going to let this fear stop me.

c.coyle
11-12-2005, 11:44
I am getting ready to thru hike next spring and my greatest fear is snakes. I am terrified of them ... Does using your walking sticks help to scare them off as you go through dense areas where you cant see as well. I always heard if they hear you coming they will run ...

Snakes sense the vibration of approaching footsteps and hiking poles, and tend to flee. In Pa., at least, you're more likely to encounter them sunning in open areas, especially rocks, and piles of dead brush. Snakes are magnificent creatures. It's always an A+ day when I encounter one.

Rat Snake (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7389&original=1) Timber Rattler (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1468&original=1)

If you were making a list of the Top 10 things to worry about on the AT, I'd rank snakes about 13.

Grampie
11-12-2005, 12:16
During my thru in "01" Stopped at a shelter in Virginia early so I had time to just relax. In the shelter was a hiker fast asleep. I layed out my stuff, took my boots off and was sitting on the edge of the shelter reading a book.
I felt something touch my bare foot and looked down to see a big snake comming out from under the shelter. Scared the living crap out of me. I throw the book and I guess I let out a yell. Wakeing the sleeping hiker. It turned out to be a five foot black snake.
I also saw the copper head snakes in the fire pit at Manassas Gap Shelter judt as Wingfoot said that they would be there.
Saw a giant rattle snake on the trail just north of the DWG. It must have just eaten a good meal because it was about five inches in diameter. It could just about crawl.

c.coyle
11-12-2005, 12:54
... I felt something touch my bare foot and looked down to see a big snake comming out from under the shelter. Scared the living crap out of me. ... It turned out to be a five foot black snake ...

There you go. A+ day! :sun

Hey. The Edit Button has reappeared!

PartnerShip
11-12-2005, 14:16
Thanks for those pics, yikes someone likes snakes
Actually I took one myself this past summer a 5 foot black snake coming off the roof of my house and I live near downtown Asheville,NC and as a matter of fact this past summer I seemed to see snakes every time I turned around
My friends think it is funny since I am so afraid and they never see any , I think they look for me.
Or maybe that was my way of getting used to seeing them to prepare me for this trip.
This board is great because you listen and answer and joke and dont make fun or light of my fears. Snakes and Heights - but I am determined to do this. Last week we wnt to Hot Springs and hiked a small part of the AT to Lovers Leap but as the trail did a switchback and it got higher and the path smaller I froze. I had to stay put a while and did not go on but I guess for my first try I did OK.I told my partner to go on ahead and to the top and we would meet back at car SO I stood still and looked around and listened ( and looked for snakes, HA) and ending up taking some amazing pics of mushrooms and leaves and snails stuck to rocksbut I did not hurry back down and I then came home started sellling most of what I own, putting the rest in storage and staying with family to save $ and get fit mentally and physically and hitting the trail in Spring.
Gave 6 week notice to our jobs and told friends and family and we are so grateful to find this board as we prepare for the journey of a lifetime.
thanks

CynJ
11-12-2005, 15:02
Partnership I am SO with you on the snake thing. lol.....I have posted many times here about my feelings of the ambassadors of the reptile world.

Part of my fear I think is that I really couldn't identify what snakes were really dangerous. And between the photo gallery here on WB and this website http://www.umass.edu/nrec/snake_pit/index.html I have learned a lot.

I still don't like snakes but at least now I can tell which ones are really bad news.

c.coyle you would be so proud of me! We went to Hurd State Park about 3 weeks ago -it is along the CT River and we were down towards the water (there were a lot of debris piles and washup because of the flooding) and I could have sworn that I heard a rattlesnake. So I looked around me carefully and realized it wasn't a rattlesnake but a huge black rat snake trying to play rattlesnake hiding in the debris. lol.... I still almost had a heart attack but I didn't panic. Go me! lol.... :banana

PartnerShip
11-12-2005, 15:19
Thanks so I wont be the only one watching every step I take or thinking a stick is a snake till I get used to being in the woods so much.
Again for some reason this past summer I saw so many snakes more than I have seen in my entire life and wonder why then. And I wasnt hiking either just at friends houses etc.

LacyK4
11-12-2005, 16:08
My husband was bitten by a copperhead in the N. Ga mountains this summer. He was fishing in a creek and stepped over the rocks along the bank. It got him on the back of the leg. It took him about 20 minutes to walk back to camp and another 30 minutes to get him to the nearest hospital. His lower leg had started to swell by the time he was admitted to the ER. They put him on IV's (pain meds and anti-inflamitories) and a heart monitor but gave no anti-venom. The ER released him after 8 hours of observation and we returned home. He was told to rest and keep the leg elevated and on ice for several days. He only missed about 4 days of work.
Knowing that copperhead bites do not cause alot of damage kept us from panicing. The ER doc said no snake bite kits, no cutting, etc. Just get to the ER. And watch stream banks!!!

SteveJ
11-12-2005, 17:06
I have found a lot of copperheads. Mostly lazy layabouts I have ever seen, I have about three experiences of stepping on them or almost stepping on them before I even noticed them. I have had a few rattlers sing for me, but none have ever really gotten aggressive.

I found a copperhead in the middle of the trail hiking the Conesauga River Trail in the Cohutta Wilderness area in '03. He was still there the next morning - didn't look like he had moved!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9264&c=550

PartnerShip
11-13-2005, 21:33
Just curious and I can hear the laughs already but can wearing gators in any help against a snake bite. I mean any protection must help I would think.
Please let me know.
Thanks

justusryans
11-13-2005, 21:37
well, yes and no. There is such a thing as snake gaitors, but they're very heavy and not really practical for hiking. Regular gaiters offer almost no protection from snakebite. I know, not what you wanted to hear.

stag3
11-13-2005, 22:02
We use something like that in Texas--they are called "snake legons". They are made from some hard plastic and snap anound the leg, go from the top of the shoe to the knee. You could cut these to the height you think will work for you. Another less popular option is gators amde from thick leather.

We have rattle snakes everywhere in West Texas, and I am not aware of any leg bites when wearing these. Maybe a bit heavier than regular gators, but they will keep protect against snake bites.

PartnerShip
11-13-2005, 22:20
Thanks
I dont care how heavy they are , during snake season I would opt that over my constant fear at least if I saw them I would not fear the horrible bite possibility
I am willing to try anything to do this hike
I can deal with seeing and admiring them from a distance but the thought of them sinking their fangs into me is somewhat frightful

PartnerShip
11-13-2005, 22:22
oh and most important how and where can I get some by next Spring
Thanks for the replies

stag3
11-14-2005, 20:31
PartnerShip

I found two models of snake legons here in Houston. The manufacturer's websites are www.foreverlast.com (http://www.foreverlast.com/) and www.whitewateroutdoors.com (http://www.whitewateroutdoors.com/). Both sites have "where to buy" links. If you have trouble with the sites, send me a PM and I'll help get you a pair from the local stores.

stag3

PartnerShip
11-14-2005, 22:42
Thank you so much
I will check these out
I have the mental stamina based on my age and life experiences but my fear of snakes will get me if I dont feel prepared and protected
Funny but when I told my daughter or our plans the first things she said was dont get bit by a snake, HA
Like mother like daugher I suppose
But anyway I am so excited that all I can seem to do when not working lateley is get onhere and read and post as it is such a wonderful site and I hope to post oin here as a thru hiker by this time next year

Rain Man
11-15-2005, 10:26
... But anyway I am so excited that all I can seem to do when not working lateley is get onhere and read and post as it is such a wonderful site and I hope to post oin here as a thru hiker by this time next year

Well, whatever your phobia, here's to you no matter what your particular phobias might be. Have a great hike!!!

Rain:sunMan